• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tomar camino plans

Enzed

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto to Santiago (2020)
Buen Camino, Any thoughts or ideaa on my planned camino?

Tomar - Alvaiazere - Ansiao - coimbriga- Coimbra -Sernadelo - Agueda - Branca - Santa Maria da Feira - Porto - Vairao - Barcelos - Casa da Fernanda- Ponte de Lima - Rubiaes - Tui - O porrino - Redondola- Pontevedra - Combarra - Armenteira - Vilanova de Arousa - A Esclavitude - Santiago

Is Combarra worth stopping over. I've found a cheap hotel there, and it seems a nice place to relax by the water.

Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked the CP last year from Tomar after walking the Caminho do Tejo. My pattern was similar, noting that I didn't do the Variante Espiritual. I did book many places, generally in the evening for the following day. That meant some minor changes along the way, but nothing too dramatic. I wouldn't recommend booking much further out than that, other than perhaps at Porto if you are planning to take an extra day there.

I'm planning some stays based in wanting on having a rest day in Barcelos on a Thursday, market day, and being in Porto on the 24th. I'm curious about the coimbriga Roman ruins, and want a short day into coimbra to do some sightseeing in the afternoon.
Otherwise I'm flexible.

I did the coastal porto camino back in 2019, with my parents, and the day I returned I started planning to go back. So I've had plenty of time to plan things.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would recommend a day in Tomar before you start. The Templar castle there is spectacular, and there are amazing 16th (?) century aquaducts within walking distance of the castle that are very impressive. It also has the oldest synagogue in Portugal with a small museum there. We really liked Tomar.

We stayed over in Combarra on the Espirtual Variante in a sweet two star hotel that we felt deserved 4. Right near the water and a full breakfast buffet in the morning! Always great on a Camino. Bom Caminho!!

I'm planning some stays based in wanting on having a rest day in Barcelos on a Thursday, market day, and being in Porto on the 24th. I'm curious about the coimbriga Roman ruins, and want a short day into coimbra to do some sightseeing in the afternoon.
Otherwise I'm flexible.

I did the coastal porto camino back in 2019, with my parents, and the day I returned I started planning to go back. So I've had plenty of time to plan things.
If you have a day off in Barcelos, better take the bus or train to Braga,a Roman town and one of the most famous world heritage spot, the sanctuary Bom Jezus do Monte. More interesting than the market in Barcelos
Braga by bus or train is 1 hour away

You will regret your half day in Coimbra
So much to see. Visit the fado show just opposite the cathedral Great time

The university library is world famous

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Braga rest day sounds good, I've read good things about it.
To get a full day off in coimbra would mean another almost 30Km day, which is not something I'm aiming for.

My parents, experienced pilgrims have said ifs okay to use a bus when needed, so there's that option.

We stayed over in Combarra on the Espirtual Variante in a sweet two star hotel that we felt deserved 4. Right near the water and a full breakfast buffet in the morning! Always great on a Camino. Bom Caminho!!
What is the name of that hotel please? I stayed 2 nights in Combarro so enjoyed an extra day exploring the village and walking around the coast. I highly recommend staying at Hostel Nuestra Senora del Camino owned and run by the lovely Carmen. Private rooms and dorms, new, clean, washer, dryer, kitchen and a lovely garden with views to the sea and over the village and close to the camino.
Your walking plan from Tomar is similar to mine except that I am starting out on the hills walking shorter distances: 11kms to Calvinos, 16 to Cortica, 19 Ansaio...I also want to explore the ruins at Conimbriga so a shorter one to there too.
I was disappointed by the Barcelos market last Sept. Nothing special but Barcelos itself is a lovely town with lots to see.
Buen camino

Hogar del Puerto, that the cheap hotel I found on booking.com in comberro, but the hostel could also be an option.
So perhaps in barcelos, just have a quick look at market in morning, then spend a rest day checking out town, I'm even thinking of a bus to braga and stay night there and then bus back in the morning.

I want to see as much as I can, cause I've come from the other side of the world for this so want to enjoy every moment, but as my parents say you can't see it all.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would recommend a day in Tomar before you start. The Templar castle there is spectacular, and there are amazing 16th (?) century aquaducts within walking distance of the castle that are very impressive. It also has the oldest synagogue in Portugal with a small museum there. We really liked Tomar.
I'm arrive in Lisbon on the 12th, train to Tomar the afternoon of 13th and have all day 14th April to explore Tomar, before walking next day. So will have time to explore and more time to get over the inevitable jetlag.

Yes, a suggestion -- start in Fátima, walk to Tomar.

I have left my own "tourigrino" preferences behind me from necessity, but I'd say Fátima is a good "landing day" place, and the working part of the city Tomar-wards on the way out is a great transition between city and Camino.

Somehow, it feels more like walking out of a pueblo than a city, and then there's a great Albergue and excellent overall resting place at Fungalvaz.

And once you get out on top of the ridge and into that view, jet lag will suddenly be the least of your concerns !! :cool: (not from difficulty or anything, just the sheer beauty of it)

Then take the rest day that others are recommending at Tomar -- it's a complicated city, but once you work out the boundaries between the normal working parts of it and the touristy ones, and the advantages and inconvenients of each, you'll be set.

Last edited:
Yes, a suggestion -- start in Fátima, walk to Tomar.

I have left my own "tourigrino" preferences behind me from necessity, but I'd say Fátima is a good "landing day" place, and the working part of the city Tomar-wards on the way out is a great transition between city and Camino.

Somehow, it feels more like walking out of a pueblo than a city, and then there's a great Albergue and excellent overall resting place at Fungalvaz.

And once you get out on top of the ridge and into that view, jet lag will suddenly be the least of your concerns !! :cool: (not from difficulty or anything, just the sheer beauty of it)

Then take the rest day that others are recommending at Tomar -- it's a complicated city, but once you work out the boundaries between the normal working parts of it and the touristy ones, and the advantages and inconvenients of each, you'll be set.
Perhaps for my next time in Portugal. Ive only been once, for the porto coastal camino, but I've Fallen for its history, colorful tiles, pastries, castles and historical churches. I will be back again.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hogar del Puerto, that the cheap hotel I found on booking.com in comberro, but the hostel could also be an option.
So perhaps in barcelos, just have a quick look at market in morning, then spend a rest day checking out town, I'm even thinking of a bus to braga and stay night there and then bus back in the morning.

I want to see as much as I can, cause I've come from the other side of the world for this so want to enjoy every moment, but as my parents say you can't see it all.
I come from Australia so understand you wanting to see as much as you can but you also may try to see too much and end up rushing everywhere. I have not been to Braga so can't comment about it. But it is good to have 2 nights in a place so a day of exploring can be done with a daypack and just enjoy being in the same place for 2 days and experiencing local life. It is great to have time to talk to locals not just see sights, IMHO. But you can decide while there as the weather may also be a factor. It'll be great whatever you do. Buen camino.

I will be stopping at Tomar, staying two nights (May 12 and 13th) because I was hoping to see Fatima. Found that inexpensive accommodations were not to be found for the weekend I planned because May 13th is an anniversary of Marian apparitions. I'm just explaining this to let others be aware. I still intend to stick to the same plans.

I will be stopping at Tomar, staying two nights (May 12 and 13th) because I was hoping to see Fatima. Found that inexpensive accommodations were not to be found for the weekend I planned because May 13th is an anniversary of Marian apparitions. I'm just explaining this to let others be aware. I still intend to stick to the same plans.
Thank you Jim. Good to know. I am in Tomar those 2 nights too before starting walking. Might see you there or on the way. 🙂

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you Jim. Good to know. I am in Tomar those 2 nights too before starting walking. Might see you there or on the way. 🙂
Yeah, that would be nice-- I'll be with my sister, Lorraine. We'll be at Residential Avenida Hostal in Tomar-- hoping that bus or taxi transport to Fatima on the 13th isn't too problematic.

Yeah, that would be nice-- I'll be with my sister, Lorraine. We'll be at Residential Avenida Hostal in Tomar-- hoping that bus or taxi transport to Fatima on the 13th isn't too problematic.
Yes hard to know about transport til you're there I suppose. I'm at the Thomar Story Guest House. Will look out for you both. Am not expecting there to be many pilgrims around compared to my last camino from Porto last year.

Ah, of course !!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well, here's how my plans went
Tomar
Alvaiazere
Alvorge
Coimbriga
Coimbra
Sernadelo
Agueda
Branca
Santa Marie de feira
Porto
Pedra Rubras (train back to Porto for night)
Rates ( train to Pedras Rubras, then walked)
Barcelos
Barcelos rest day, day trip to braga
Fernados
Ponte Lima
Rubiaes
Tui
Redondola
Comberro
Armenteria
Villa nova, I'm there now.

Tomorrow I'll catch the boat and see how close I get to Santiago.
Then I'll keep on walking to Muxia.

Well, here's how my plans went
Tomar
Alvaiazere
Alvorge
Coimbriga
Coimbra
Sernadelo
Agueda
Branca
Santa Marie de feira
Porto
Pedra Rubras (train back to Porto for night)
Rates ( train to Pedras Rubras, then walked)
Barcelos
Barcelos rest day, day trip to braga
Fernados
Ponte Lima
Rubiaes
Tui
Redondola
Comberro
Armenteria
Villa nova, I'm there now.

Tomorrow I'll catch the boat and see how close I get to Santiago.
Then I'll keep on walking to Muxia.
Made it to Santiago on one day, then Negeira, Santa Marina, Quintans, Muxia

Made it to Santiago on one day, then Negeira, Santa Marina, Quintans, Muxia
Would like your thoughts on your staging from Santiago to Muxia. Do you recommend any of the albergues? Did you have trouble finding beds?

We plan to do the same route in the fall - were thinking Negeira - Maroñas - Dumbría - Muxía. Your staging makes for a longer 3rd day and a shorter walk into Muxía on the 4th day. Did you like that approach? Did you have a specific reason for choosing that?

Was the route nice? We've walked to Finisterre, but not to Muxía.

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks!

Bruce

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I wanted a short day into muxua, to have a relaxing walk taking plenty of photos into muxia, and have a look around, before the 5pm bus back to Santiago. And i was in the mood for a long day as a personal challenge.

Dumbria would have been okay though.

Recommend the route. Less crowded than the main caminos, plenty of farmland and forest, and a relaxing vibe.

In Negeira, i splurged and stayed in a hotel, but there were albergue available.
Next stop, santa Marina. There are no shops, and the Albergue is attached to a restaurant, which provides pilgrilm meals. The nearby Marones also has similar facilities.
Dumbrias has a mini market, attached to a bar/restaurant, and the albergue is modern with good reviews.
Quintan hss has an albergue and a hotel above the bar. My last splurge was the hotel, (stayed mainly in Albergues)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Awesome camino, can't wait to do number 3 next year. The sense of freedom, time spent outdoors, friendly kind people and achieving a goal. All worth it.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back