• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tomar

marbuck

Time of past OR future Camino
Condom to Pamplona April 2016.
Le Puy to Condom France - April-May 2015.
Roncesvalles to Santiago April - May 2014
Finisterre to Muxia May 2014
I was recently in Tomar in Portugal and saw Camino markers going through the town, I thought the Portuguese Camino followed the coast. What Camino is this and can anybody give me any details of where it starts and where it goes through? Is there a guide book on this route? We liked rural Portugal very much, not so the packed and busy coast, and maybe would like doing a Camino through here if it goes inland. We walked the Camino Frances this year.

Cheers Marbuck http://tamborinetosantiago.blogspot.com.au/

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I was recently in Tomar in Portugal and saw Camino markers going through the town, I thought the Portuguese Camino followed the coast. What Camino is this and can anybody give me any details of where it starts and where it goes through? Is there a guide book on this route? We liked rural Portugal very much, not so the packed and busy coast, and maybe would like doing a Camino through here if it goes inland. We walked the Camino Frances this year.

Cheers Marbuck http://tamborinetosantiago.blogspot.com.au/

That it's actually the "real" Camiño :) The so called Caminho Central Português

A Portuguese Camiño on the coast, with markings exists only from Porto to Santiago, although there are some associations who are intending to mark a Camiño from Lisbon to Santiago only following the coast.

portugues_996_1833.jpg

Although some maps (has the one that I added to this thread) show some indications of a Coastal Route, and despite that exist some markings in near coast cities, there isn't nothing official confirming those ways. Mostly the markings have been painted by somebody who wishes that the Camiño pass through their town (like town halls), or they usually mark it right side by side with the Caminho de Fatima.

As I said, the markings from Lisbon follow a 15 or 16th century description of a monk, who went from Lisbon to Santiago. If exist a documented Coastal Route, it must exist on the southern part of Portugal, passing in places like Lagos and Santiago do Cacém (see that name overt her ;) ).

The best guide for you to check it's the one from John Brierly (although I rather prefer the one from the Confraternity of St. James, made by @peregrina2000 and @JohnnieWalker ). You can also check vialusitana.org, the portuguese pilgrims association.

I hope that this helps you, and that it helps you to decide to visit and comeback to my beautifull country, named Portugal.

Best Regards
Diogo

That it's actually the "real" Camiño :) The so called Caminho Central Português

A Portuguese Camiño on the coast, with markings exists only from Porto to Santiago, although there are some associations who are intending to mark a Camiño from Lisbon to Santiago only following the coast.

View attachment 11732

Although some maps (has the one that I added to this thread) show some indications of a Coastal Route, and despite that exist some markings in near coast cities, there isn't nothing official confirming those ways. Mostly the markings have been painted by somebody who wishes that the Camiño pass through their town (like town halls), or they usually mark it right side by side with the Caminho de Fatima.

As I said, the markings from Lisbon follow a 15 or 16th century description of a monk, who went from Lisbon to Santiago. If exist a documented Coastal Route, it must exist on the southern part of Portugal, passing in places like Lagos and Santiago do Cacém (see that name overt her ;) ).

The best guide for you to check it's the one from John Brierly (although I rather prefer the one from the Confraternity of St. James, made by @peregrina2000 and @JohnnieWalker ). You can also check vialusitana.org, the portuguese pilgrims association.

I hope that this helps you, and that it helps you to decide to visit and comeback to my beautifull country, named Portugal.

Best Regards
Diogo[/QUOTE ]
I cannot add more to the excellent answer my good friend Diogo has given .
What I can do is add the links to the book of Brierley
http://www.amazon.com/dp/1844095924/?tag=casaivar02-20

And the link to Johnnie Walkers website caminho Portuges

http://www.csj.org.uk/route-camino-portugues.htm

And off course your attention for all the usefull information of the hundreds of well known and less known members on this great forum. All credits to them so you can find what you want and we hope once you will walk this great walk in this beautifull country.

Bom caminho !

Winners have a plan; losers only an excuse !

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Greetings fellow pilgrims! I'm planning our journey from Porto to Vigo, beginning on Senda Litoral and eventually merging into the coastal route. Does anyone have recommendations a good place to...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back