• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tomas of Manjarin Emergency Surgery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I, for one, loved Tomas of Manjarin and Manjarin remains one of the highlights of my first Camino. Tomas has had open heart surgery and needs help.

The message - From Acacio & Orietta's website:

As everyone should be aware ; Tomas Manjarin of last week had to have emergency surgery .
He was admitted to a hospital in Leon for 6 hours and had to open his chest , replace two heart valves and put a pacemaker .
Thomas has left the hospital and is recovering very well .
In those 48 hours of their physical therapy and rest , Tomas is in Molinaseca in a borrowed by friends for 30 days flat , near a pharmacy and 8 minutes from Hospital Ponferrada .

I talked to Tomas a few minutes ago , and one of the themes that converssamos was how do we get money for their maintenance during this period.
Manjarin still being serviced by volunteers and friends , but the daily pace of pilgrims , is still little and insufficient to meet all.

Friends SOLICTAMOS AID OF A TOMAS Manjarín once but we ask for your support and help to those who can and want to contribute any value. Actually this is necessary to be able to cover at least the costs of Tomas their food and some other basic need . All of you know that Thomas does not need many things , he is a simple person and deserves this moment this solidarity , love and money.
WHO CAN HELP :
I offer once again our PayPal account on our website :
http://www.peregrinando.org/donativos.asp

for qq amount to be donated . The system is easy and secure , and even more can join 5,10,20 euros or the value that each can contribute.

Together we can do much
THIS PLEASE pass on MSN

Thank you very
Acacio & Orietta

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I, for one, loved Tomas of Manjarin and Manjarin remains one of the highlights of my first Camino. Tomas has had open heart surgery and needs help.

I realize he is a colorful character and that folks have differing views.

Please do not hijack this thread into reasons you don't like Manjarin or Tomas.
Either respond with help, or simply move on.

As everyone should be aware ; Tomas Manjarin of last week had to have emergency surgery .
He was admitted to a hospital in Leon for 6 hours and had to open his chest , replace two heart valves and put a pacemaker .
In those 48 hours of their physical therapy and rest , Tomas is in Molinaseca in a borrowed by friends for 30 days flat , near a pharmacy and 8 minutes from Hospital Ponferrada .

I talked to Tomas a few minutes ago , and one of the themes that converssamos was how do we get money for their maintenance during this period.
Manjarin still being serviced by volunteers and friends , but the daily pace of pilgrims , is still little and insufficient to meet all.

Friends SOLICTAMOS AID OF A TOMAS Manjarín once but we ask for your support and help to those who can and want to contribute any value. Actually this is necessary to be able to cover at least the costs of Tomas their food and some other basic need . All of you know that Thomas does not need many things , he is a simple person and deserves this moment this solidarity , love and money.
WHO CAN HELP :

for qq amount to be donated . The system is easy and secure , and even more can join 5,10,20 euros or the value that each can contribute.

Together we can do much
THIS PLEASE pass on MSN

Thank you very
Acacio & Orietta

Done it, thank you for bringing it to our attention, I would never have known.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Annie, I went to the website, but don't understand enough Spanish to be sure I clicked in the right place. There is a flashing sign saying Donativo. Is this the place to click to donate for Tomas?
Margaret

Annie, I went to the website, but don't understand enough Spanish to be sure I clicked in the right place. There is a flashing sign saying Donativo. Is this the place to click to donate for Tomas?
Margaret
Margaret,

Enter your name, country, email address, then click the amount in Euros. After that you click "donar." After that you continue with your PayPal information.

Buen Camino!

Hieu

Margaret, after responding to your inquiry, I noticed the flags at the top of the website. You can click on the British flag for English. I guess I was too quick with my initial response. -Hieu

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks Hieu. Turns out I can't use the Paypal the way it is set up anyhow as I have forgotten my password and they wanted my credit card number for id to be sure it was me, but I have a new number so that didn't work. The wonders of technology!!!
Margaret

I'm ready for bed, but can check in the morning to see if there's an easier way to send it.

I'm ready for bed, but can check in the morning to see if there's an easier way to send it.
Sorry Annie- not your problem- don't worry about it. I can usually do paypal w/o actually signing into Paypal. In this instance you have to sign in, there's not another option- and I can't remember my password, and the problem is compounded because they have an old credit card number on record so won't accept I am me when I try and reset password!!!
Margaret

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Dear Pilgrims.
CAMPAÑA to HELP the TOMAS DE MANJARIN: As everyone should be aware, Tomas de Manjarin last week had to do an emergency o[en heart surgery.
He was admitted to a Hospital of Leon and to replace 2 heart valves and put in a pacemaker.
Thomas has left the Hospital and is recovering very well.
For the 48 hours of physical therapy and rest, he is in Molinaseca in a borrowed apartment for 30 days, near a pharmacy and 8 minutes from Ponferrada.

I talked to Tomas makes a few minutes, and one of the main concerns is was how he is going to afford the medical maintenance during this period.
Manjarin continues to be served by volunteers and friends, but the donations of pilgrims is still little and inadequate to meet his costs/

Friends, we are REQUESTING a help for TOMAS of MANJARIN, once but we ask for your support and help, for those who can and those who wish to contribute with any value. All of you know Thomas, knows that he doesn't need many things, he is a simple person, and deserves right now this solidarity, love and money.
Please HELP - via the PayPal on our account from our website: http://www.peregrinando.org/donativos.asp for any value to be donated, no matter how small. The system is easy and secure and everyone can donate 5, 10, 20 EUR or the value that each can contribute.

Please share this appeal. THANK YOU!!! Acacio & Orietta

I could not see any reference to Thomas on that site, when I clicked on "where does your donation go" this is what came up,
"
Where does your donation go?

Next refugio’s priorities are:

- the reading-room
- 4 windows
- the volunteers bedroom

Click here and make a donation

Can anyone explain how I can get a donation directly to Thomas.

I mentioned this to Acacio, and he said they were doing Tomas a favour, as close friends, by letting people make a donation using their PayPal facility. If anyone is uneasy about this, they can donate directly into his bank account instead.
Templario circle of Ponferrada
La Caixa 2100 2234 71 0200107994
Tomas does not need money for any hospital procedures, but while he is recovering he cannot work, he can't drive, and he needs money for food. Once the donations reach a certain amount, Acacio will close the appeal.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just did this without signing on to Paypal. Where it asks for paypal password, there is also an option to setup a paypal account or pay without an account. Click on this option and you will be able to pay with your credit card account.

Thank you Ralph - that is kind of you. Acacio is sending a thank you to everyone who makes a donation via their website. Tomas has fed me on two occasions when we spent the night at Manjarin. I don't mind paying back by donating a few Euro now that he needs it. :)

There are many ways to get the english or any other language version. Clicks on the flags, copy past into a language translater, for me, I am set up for automatic google translate. Regarding the actual donation, even if you have a paypal, you can donate via credit card. I too, forget my password all the time, I don't use my paypal account a lot, but use the service to make donations via credit card. Acacio & Oriettas donation page is a wonderful way to help Tomas and other causes, including giving a donation to their own donativo in Viloria. Not being able to walk every year, like so many of you that live in Europe, it is one way to keep on giving back. Light and Love Ingrid

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Done. Do I need to send them a message that the donation is for Tomas or is it automatic?

I never stayed there but the welcome he gave me on a freezing morning when I was at a low point was worth the donation.

Google Translation:
Message from Tomas: Just left the doctor, removing half of the staples they put me: all right now I have to get close to the hospital to make me a control Sintron leg - and I look where they took a piece of vein for the bypass, and continue with the new treatment,:
Thanks to everyone for the affection towards me, from here agraceder everyone at the impossibility of it personally as my wish we would see on the road
+ + + + + + nnDnn Tomas Martinez de Paz

Done. Do I need to send them a message that the donation is for Tomas or is it automatic?

I never stayed there but the welcome he gave me on a freezing morning when I was at a low point was worth the donation.

You can send them a message via their Facebook page, if you like:
https://www.facebook.com/refugio.acacioorietta

I'm not sure about an email address.

I did send them a message when I sent my donation and they responded.

Hey guys, how about sending Tomas a card - or your favourite photograph of Manjarin? Maybe, you with Tomas! I'm sure it will cheer him up no end!

Inbox me for the address.

This message from Acacio: " Tomas of Manjarin appreciates the donations received. He sends thousands of hugs to all the pilgrims who are helping.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

WHO CAN HELP :

Together we can do much
THIS PLEASE pass on MSN

Thank you very
Acacio & Orietta

I just made a small donation and I'd like here to wish Tomas a speedy recovery.

Hola Annie (and other generous pilgrims). Another small donation to help our good amigo Tomas. Hope he continues to make a full, speedy recovery. If its not too much trouble can you keep us informed (not me personally), just as a general note to know that he is back to full health.
Cheers

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you all so much!

A note today from Tomas:

Dear friends,
Thank you very much for the donation made towards me right now in response to my serious heart surgery, I'm feeling good and getting lots of loving care. Right now I am in molinaseca until I can go home. My regular residence at Manjarin is impossible for me because of the weather, and not having the means.
For your contributions, I personally thank you with love, and remind you that your house is Manjarin.
Much thanks!

Tomas Martinez Peace
dominate non nobis.

Last edited:
It was Tomas' birthday yesterday and he celebrated with friends and a 'Templar' cake. His friend Ana Brasil sent this message:
"I'm so happy... I talked with Tomas Martinez de Paz now... He's so glad about the birthday party for him... Special gift... Special Temple Cake...
Happy Birthday!!...!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Tomas yesterday had tachycardia and had to return to the hospital. Please pray for him.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Any news on Tomas please?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am in Astorga and was looking forward to staying with Thomas in Manjarin. I will make a donation for his care.

In the meantime, there are younger pilgrims here who may not be aware of Thomas's illness.

Should I advise them that the albergue in Manjarin will be closed for the next few days or weeks? Snow is forecast and I would not want to think these younger pilgrims might find themselves in trouble.

I am in Astorga and was looking forward to staying with Thomas in Manjarin. I will make a donation for his care.

In the meantime, there are younger pilgrims here who may not be aware of Thomas's illness.

Should I advise them that the albergue in Manjarin will be closed for the next few days or weeks? Snow is forecast and I would not want to think these younger pilgrims might find themselves in trouble.
Best see if Anniesantago knows if it is open I'm not sure if anyone is covering for him do you know Annie?

Last edited:
I haven't heard back, but I did this on my FB account -
This is a photo of Manjarin TODAY!!!
I don't think I'd want to be walking in this! lol!

24euyjr.jpg

I haven't heard back, but I did this on my FB account -
This is a photo of Manjarin TODAY!!!
I don't think I'd want to be walking in this! lol!

24euyjr.jpg
The poor souls who are though Annie, down hill on that next descent will be treacherous and the path through the pass will be invisible!

Holy Toledo!! Those who walk in Winter are very brave and a breed unto themselves! A sincere and hardy Buen Camino to Winter trekkers!

Hi Leaningforward Have you seen Annie's reply " YES, Manjarin is open!"
Buen Camino brave souls

I made it by bus to Astorga and set out this morning for a shorter walk to Santa Catalina de Somoza -- when I met two able bodied pilgrims from Madrid who reached my intended destination and turned back because of brutal head winds, rain, and the forecast for the mountain ahead. I didn't need a brighter or louder sign to tell me that I would not fare any better!

So ... I hired a taxi to drive me to Ponferrada. The driver slowed in each town to point out churches and bridges, and stopped at Cruz de Ferro, where in driving snow I was able to lay items I had carried for sick friends and to say prayers and thanks for family and friends.

The drive past Foncebadon, Manjarin, and Acebo settled any remaining doubts I had as to whether I had shortened my camino prematurely. Much of the path up to Foncebadon and down past Acebo was covered with snow -- deep enough that there was no visible sign of a path -- ice, or both.

So down the mountain we drove past Molineseca (where I thought of Tomas who I wanted to meet, but alas will not -- except in my imagination, which probably is not large enough to contain him) to Ponferrado.

Up and down the mountain -- and for that matter every kilometer since my walk suspended -- my eyes yearned to see a yellow arrow, a stack of rocks, or some other sign I learned marked the Way.

I am sad that I am injured and was unable to walk all the way from St. Jean, and will miss many places I really hoped to see and people to meet. But I am not too sad because I proved to myself that I am able to push myself farther -- physically and emotionally -- than I thought possible, in pursuit of something intangible without much value in the world: a slower, simpler pace, quiet, solitude, peace -- what Thoreau called sauntering.

That achievement that was lived and earned one step at time over weeks and hundreds of kilometers is set deep inside me now, wrapped in joy and contentment, wonder, and peace that may prove difficult to repeat. But present nonetheless as a reservoir from which I can draw when I am back in the world. This is a very good thing.

In Ponferrada, I boarded a train to Sarria, with a pair of arm crutches I found at a pharmacy in Astorga. I arrived in Sarria with other pilgrims, new pilgrims who looked as excited as I was in St. John several weeks ago.

I hope I look a little tired, a little worn. I hope they wonder how far I've come. But I hope they don't ask because how does one possibly explain the Camino to someone who has not yet looked and seen, listened and heard, touched and felt, the Camino. And really, they should learn these things for themselves, without preconceived notions imparted by others.

So tomorrow I will begin to walk again -- with my crutches as long as I need them -- the last hundred kilometers to Santiago to collect the compostela I earned and will continue to earn.

You know, without the people who compose this forum, I would not have known how to start my camino, how to persevere my camino, how to love this experience.

Thank you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I made it by bus to Astorga and set out this morning for a shorter walk to Santa Catalina de Somoza -- when I met two able bodied pilgrims from Madrid who reached my intended destination and turned back because of brutal head winds, rain, and the forecast for the mountain ahead. I didn't need a brighter or louder sign to tell me that I would not fare any better!

So ... I hired a taxi to drive me to Ponferrada. The driver slowed in each town to point out churches and bridges, and stopped at Cruz de Ferro, where in driving snow I was able to lay items I had carried for sick friends and to say prayers and thanks for family and friends.

The drive past Foncebadon, Manjarin, and Acebo settled any remaining doubts I had as to whether I had shortened my camino prematurely. Much of the path up to Foncebadon and down past Acebo was covered with snow -- deep enough that there was no visible sign of a path -- ice, or both.

So down the mountain we drove past Molineseca (where I thought of Tomas who I wanted to meet, but alas will not -- except in my imagination, which probably is not large enough to contain him) to Ponferrado.

Up and down the mountain -- and for that matter every kilometer since my walk suspended -- my eyes yearned to see a yellow arrow, a stack of rocks, or some other sign I learned marked the Way.

I am sad that I am injured and was unable to walk all the way from St. Jean, and will miss many places I really hoped to see and people to meet. But I am not too sad because I proved to myself that I am able to push myself farther -- physically and emotionally -- than I thought possible, in pursuit of something intangible without much value in the world: a slower, simpler pace, quiet, solitude, peace -- what Thoreau called sauntering.

That achievement that was lived and earned one step at time over weeks and hundreds of kilometers is set deep inside me now, wrapped in joy and contentment, wonder, and peace that may prove difficult to repeat. But present nonetheless as a reservoir from which I can draw when I am back in the world. This is a very good thing.

In Ponferrada, I boarded a train to Sarria, with a pair of arm crutches I found at a pharmacy in Astorga. I arrived in Sarria with other pilgrims, new pilgrims who looked as excited as I was in St. John several weeks ago.

I hope I look a little tired, a little worn. I hope they wonder how far I've come. But I hope they don't ask because how does one possibly explain the Camino to someone who has not yet looked and seen, listened and heard, touched and felt, the Camino. And really, they should learn these things for themselves, without preconceived notions imparted by others.

So tomorrow I will begin to walk again -- with my crutches as long as I need them -- the last hundred kilometers to Santiago to collect the compostela I earned and will continue to earn.

You know, without the people who compose this forum, I would not have known how to start my camino, how to persevere my camino, how to love this experience.

Thank you.

May God bless you and St James aid you to Santiago Leaningforward, this is the a very appropriate thread for your post. Tomas and Annie will love your help to other pilgrims on the conditions out there at this moment.
Buen Camino brave pilgrim.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
A friend of mine is hospitalera in Spain, and she knows Tomas well. I pointed this action out to her to get some money for Tomas, thinking it was a good thing, but she was very surprised and not entirely amused. She told me Tomas is not aware of this Paypal-account at all, and told me he is very well capable of paying for his own medical care and other kind of needs. She's going to ask Tomas what he thinks of this. If Tomas is not aware of this, is this genuine? Does the money really go to Tomas?

I don't have an opinion about his untill I know more about this, so please don't start a discussion with me. I only want to inform people here, that this is the message I got from a Spanish friend of Tomas.

This surprises me very much.
I hope to hear from you soon.
I feel the people who gave me this information are good people, good friends with Tomas, and trustworthy. Perhaps he is embarrassed talking about it?
I'll wait to hear back from you to email the source of the request for donations.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Maybe it's best if I just copy and paste the message my Spanish friend send to me. This is what she emailed me:

"I was very happy to recive your e-mail but very much worried too about what you told me about fund raising for Tomàs of Manjarìn. Dear (my name), I know Tomàs for many years and I know he has been treated of his heart diasese but he is no in any economic struggle, actually he is a very rich man. I don´t know if he is aware of what is going on but mind you that is not true . Please don´t send any money because that is a forgery for sure. Some people are using good people of the Camino (David of the Hose of God, Tomàs, etc) to get money from the pilgrims. Do not trust them. The one who did that with David tried to do it with me and probably he is the same involved in all this. Please tell everyone on internet this. Anyway I am going to call Tomàs right away and inform him that someone in his name is doing this. I don´t think he is going to be very happy about it."

I know for a fact that the same people are giving a dinner for Tomas and that he will be there.
The dinner is a fund raising event.
So this is quite confusing.
I guess each person must just do as they feel right.

WHO CAN HELP :

Together we can do much
THIS PLEASE pass on MSN

Thank you very
Acacio & Orietta

Hi Everybody
I am Acacio da Paz
Today I call Tomas about discuss in forun.
Tomorrow I send one msn direct to Tomas to every all.
Thanks thanks for all donation. All money I send to account to Tomas, now is posible help this month all account.
This is the Way, is not easy here for us, have another camino more bad inside in this magic way....
But we now who start this msn in this forun....
Thanks again for every donation

Acacio da Paz

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
DONATION to TOMAS Manjarín:

KNOW HOW AVAILABLE FOR OUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT facilitate donations EXCHANGE BETWEEN 5,10,20,50 EUROS FOR CAMPAIGN ASSISTANCE OF TOMAS HOSPITABLE of Manjarín.

UNTIL TODAY WERE entered: € 2,200.00 FOR THE DONATION FOR TOMAS, other values are assigned to us, reservations, family members who send in aid etc..
All the money is already Tomas joined the account so that it can manage its maintenance.

For those who wish to know more please come to contact:
acaciodapaz@gmail.com

Thank you all.
Acacio da Paz

I know for a fact that the same people are giving a dinner for Tomas and that he will be there.
The dinner is a fund raising event.
So this is quite confusing.
I guess each person must just do as they feel right.

It's confusing indeed, Annie. I don't know whom to believe, although I trust my friend. Perhaps she hasn't spoken to Tomas in a while, I know she had some struggles with her own aubergue to keep it open, and she isn't aware of the latest news yet. I haven't heard from her yet, she's not checking her mail daily, so we just have to wait.

Last time I was in Spain in my friends aubergue, one of Tomás volunteers was there too. He was extremely worried about Tomás and wasn't sure if they could keep the aubergue open if anything happened to him. The signs his health was diminishing were clearly there. But that was over 9 months ago, so anything could've happened in the meantime.

But I'd like to know more about this Acacio. Who are you? What is your relation to Tomás? Your name doesn't sound familiar, could you tell a bit more about yourself? Anyone here can open a bankaccount and just _say_ they are a friend of Tomás.
I'm sorry I'm so suspicious, but I trust my friend, and if she says there is something fishy about is, there _is_ something fishy about this.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It's confusing indeed, Annie. I don't know whom to believe, although I trust my friend. Perhaps she hasn't spoken to Tomas in a while, I know she had some struggles with her own aubergue to keep it open, and she isn't aware of the latest news yet. I haven't heard from her yet, she's not checking her mail daily, so we just have to wait.

Last time I was in Spain in my friends aubergue, one of Tomás volunteers was there too. He was extremely worried about Tomás and wasn't sure if they could keep the aubergue open if anything happened to him. The signs his health was diminishing were clearly there. But that was over 9 months ago, so anything could've happened in the meantime.

But I'd like to know more about this Acacio. Who are you? What is your relation to Tomás? Your name doesn't sound familiar, could you tell a bit more about yourself? Anyone here can open a bankaccount and just _say_ they are a friend of Tomás.
I'm sorry I'm so suspicious, but I trust my friend, and if she says there is something fishy about is, there _is_ something fishy about this.

Wendelart,

Here is what I do know:

Acacio and Orietta are not "just anyone opening a bank account and saying they are friends of Tomas." They are well-know, and well-loved people who run a wonderful albergue in Viloria de Rioja. Hundreds of pilgrims have found refuge and peace there. My stay at their albergue was one of the highlights of my first Camino. We have had long conversations with Acacio, who is a peaceful person and a good-spirited one. With $50 in his pocket, and the help of Paulo Coelho (you recognize that name?) he opened an albergue. Acacio appears to be pure of heart and I do not doubt his word. They are good friends of Tomas. Here is a video about them done by Lydia Smith:

If Tomas is "a very rich man" as your friend states, then he is the most HUMBLE man I've ever met, because I've never seen any sign of that wealth. On the other hand, he runs an extremely basic albergue with no running water and I have personally watched him embrace cash-poor pilgrims with loving kindness and offer them food, water, and shelter.

What I don't know:

Who YOU are?
Who your FRIEND is (the one who has made these horrible accusations)
and WHY somebody would try to railroad such a good cause?
WHAT is the hidden agenda here?

I do agree. Something is fishy.
I don't trust your friend at all.
If she runs her own albergue perhaps she'd step up and put a face to her accusations.
After all, ANYONE can make accusations and just _say_ mean-spirited gossip.

But then, that's my opinion.

Last edited:
Acacio & Orietta get good reports in my CSJ guide way back from 2009, and appear to be very pleasant people. I would trust them. I will consider stopping there on my Way: Communal dinners appeal to me

Last edited:
Sorry Annie, I didn't mean to be rude, I just want to know all sides of the story. If someone here (you in this case) stands up for Acacio that's good enough for me, like one pilgrim defending the other. He sounds like a good person, too bad I don't know him but then, I can't know anyone on the whole camino of course.

When I was in Manjarin I noticed how poor the place was and how humble Tomas is, but then, I don't know what my friend knows about Tomas being a rich man or not. So her comment did surprise me, but she's my friend and I trust her.

My friend is Alicia, who runs the Hospital de Pergerinos in Trabadelo, a donativo albergue. She's a member of the Fraternidad de Esperanza and runs her albergue under the guidance of the bishop of Astorga. The volunteer I met at her place who works for Tomás is Chiema, the cook from Manjarin. I've no contactinformation from Chiema, or I would've asked him myself what's going on. I just didn't want to throw names and places right away all over the internet, to keep people's privacy. Alicia is a thrustworty woman who devoted her life to the camino and goes out of her way to make every pilgrim feel at home and welcome. She certainly doesn't run her albergue to earn money, or she wouldn't have made it a donativo: she runs her albergue because she feels the pilgrims need her, it's a life calling. She's the last person who would ever gossip, she herself has been the victim of that too often. Unfortunatly the bishop recently decided to close her albergue, but that has nothing to do with anything here. I'm going to email Alicia again and ask her to comment. I hope she has called Tomás by now and can shed light on all of this.

And me, well, I'm just a pilgrim. I've been a volunteer hospitalera in Trabadelo (in Alicia's albergue) and in Roncesvalles once. And that's all there is to tell about me.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
And I apologize if my post sounded rude.
It's my nature to be straight forward.
I tend to talk with my hands waving in the air.

I recently posted the photo of a man I heard from several excellent sources was stealing from pilgrims on the Camino.

So I understand how you may have felt you were doing something helpful.

Perhaps now, the people involved can work out whatever problem is between them because it is my understanding that Tomas does need and appreciate the help.

And I apologize if my post sounded rude.
It's my nature to be straight forward.
I tend to talk with my hands waving in the air.

I recently posted the photo of a man I heard from several excellent sources was stealing from pilgrims on the Camino.

So I understand how you may have felt you were doing something helpful.

Perhaps now, the people involved can work out whatever problem is between them because it is my understanding that Tomas does need and appreciate the help.

I understand that too. My guess in all this is: my friend must've thought the same person who tried to steal from her and David did this too, but it really is another story this time. Possibly, since she had bad experiences with fund raising before, all her alarm bells went off, which is very understandable, and the conclusions she drew were logic, but therefore not necessary true. My apologies to Acacio!

I think there are too many personal details being aired on this thread just now....
I agree. I have removed a few posts in this thread. Just because we are giving out information about a third person that are... personal. I am not saying that anything that was written was wrong (I have no idea), just that we need to be careful. The rest of the thread can stand as it is, and each one can do what they think is best.

The important thing is that he gets well soon and can continue helping pilgrims.

Greetings from Santiago,
Ivar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.