• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tonight's Dessert

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
1. The poolish must be made the evening before and after allowing it to sit at room temp for 2 hours, put it into a refrigerator overnight.

2. A small tray of water on the bottom rack while the oven pre-heats. Pre-heat the oven 30 degrees F above the baking temp; this will compensate for the loss of heat when putting the baguette dough in to bake. Then reset temp to the regular cooking temp.

3. After experimenting with combinations of pizza stones, sheet pans, etc.. this is now what I use with good success.

4. I use a home made bread board (a wood cutting board will work fine) and use a couche for the final rising after the loaves are shaped. This allows for the proper 'skin' to form.

5. A transfer peel really comes in handy to preserve the shaped dough when transferred from the couche to the baking pan.

6. A thin, well sharpened knife works well for cutting the 'slits' in the dough if you do not have a lame.

7. I like having the baking rack for my baguette baking to be at the bottom third of the oven. The water tray will sit on the rack below and to one side near the oven wall.

8. I do not cook to time, I cook to temperature. The baguette is done when the center measures 200 - 205 F. An instant read thermometer is invaluable.

When mixing the dough (dough hook), I let the dough rest for 10 minutes immediately after the flour has mixed with the water. It allows the dough to hydrate. Then when I start the mixer (dough hook) again, then I can properly gauge if there is a need to add either a bit more water or flour.

Then the dough mixes for about 4 more minutes and then I do a 'window test' to determine gluten development levels. After the gluten is developed, then it off to the first rise.

What's the actual recipe (ingrediants) @davebugg ?
Is it the sandwich bread below?
The 'Boss' is going to try this!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The fusspots love the bread straight from the oven but want that fresh feel for sandwiches the rest of the week - only shop bread full of preservatives can provide such freshness after a few days!

I have to say..........
The best bread I have EVER tasted!
Was store bought in New Zealand :eek:
In the main Grocery Store in Te Anau

I just wish I had photographed the bin!

It was a kind of wholemeal ' grain, really rough, with big 'bits' in it like corn and such.
Loose not in a bag.
It was a veritable meal!
Last about 10 mins in the car........... just the bread, nothing else required

Heck..........I think we'll have to fly back there just for the bread! :oops:

I have to say..........
The best bread I have EVER tasted!
Was store bought in New Zealand :eek:
In the main Grocery Store in Te Anau

I just wish I had photographed the bin!

It was a kind of wholemeal ' grain, really rough, with big 'bits' in it like corn and such.
Loose not in a bag.
It was a veritable meal!
Last about 10 mins in the car........... just the bread, nothing else required

Heck..........I think we'll have to fly back there just for the bread! :oops:
Instead of bread crumbs you probably had corn kernels all over the car seats and floor! 😂

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Instead of bread crumbs you probably had corn kernels all over the car seats and floor! 😂

Didn't drop a crumb! It was that good ;)

In fact, this is a long shot. But perhaps a Forum member lives in Te Anau?
Or Queenstown? It would be worth the 2 hour drive!
Heck, I'll even pay for your fuel, just track down that bread.
You could do a Facebook live as you sample the bread in the store :)

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Didn't drop a crumb! It was that good ;)

In fact, this is a long shot. But perhaps a Forum member lives in Te Anau?
Or Queenstown? It would be worth the 2 hour drive!
Heck, I'll even pay for your fuel, just track down that bread.
You could do a Facebook live as you sample the bread in the store :)

You're making me want to fly to New Zealand right now! 😋 I love bread. Period. This one sounds soooo good. 😊

I didn't have a round cake pan, so used this square one. Believe it or not, it tasted exactly the same as I remembered😆...great recipe, Dave! (I got a little carried away on the powdered sugar though. Maybe why I liked it so well.😂 Thanks for the metal templates!
View attachment 60282

That came out so nicely. Round, square, rectangle, who cares? It's Tarta de Santiago! And I had no idea there was any such thing as "too much" powdered sugar. 😉 Mine are as deliciously covered in that wonderful confection as yours.

I wondered about using a "regular" pan. I went out and bought a spring pan because I'm not much of a baker and I was afraid to deviate in the slightest from any instructions. It looks like this turned out fine. I had someone suggest cupcakes recently. I don't know where I could get a stencil small enough, make one I guess. But seeing your cake gives me confidence that the muffin tins would work.

I rushed the Tarte de Santiago a bit by removing it from the pan too soon. Normally they look a lot more 'intact'. Oh, well, the taste is still good :)

I used the recipe a Galician baker uses in his Madrid bakery. When I was visiting Madrid, I found his bakery and was making a pest of myself o_O

View attachment 51819
This is getting to be a habit... but then, I did give away the last one I made, and it is not every day that two recent Invierno pilgrims are coming to town!
1EAB486C-C316-4B60-8165-3AE87319B52C.jpeg

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back