• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tonight's Dessert

• Thread starter Deleted member 67185
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 67185

I rushed the Tarte de Santiago a bit by removing it from the pan too soon. Normally they look a lot more 'intact'. Oh, well, the taste is still good :)

I used the recipe a Galician baker uses in his Madrid bakery. When I was visiting Madrid, I found his bakery and was making a pest of myself o_O

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I rushed the Tarte de Santiago a bit by removing it from the pan too soon. Normally they look a lot more 'intact'. Oh, well, the taste is still good :)

I used the recipe a Galician baker uses in his Madrid bakery. When I was visiting Madrid, I found his bakery and was making a pest of myself o_O

View attachment 51819

Ok, with that teaser, you now have to give us the recipe!

So now to your unofficial title of gear and shoe expert, we have to add baker?!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Here's the recipe, Laurie :) And I have been baking artisan breads for awhile now. Especially sourdough. But after the first Camino, I needed to bake my own Spanish baguette sandwich rolls for my own bocadillo needs :) On my first stay in Madrid, bakeries were a must visit for me, and that was where I got the Tarte recipe and the baguette tips.

Tarta de Santiago

Makes one 9-inch round

Ingredients

Butter (for the pan)
6 Eggs
1¼ cups Granulated sugar
1 Lemon rind, grated
1 Orange rind, grated** (optional based on taste)
¼ teaspoon Almond extract
½ pound Almond flour (about 2¼ cups)
Powder sugar (for sprinkling)

Directions

Set the oven at 350 degrees.

Lightly butter a 9-inch springform pan. Line the bottom with a round of parchment paper, and butter the paper.

In an electric mixer, beat the eggs and granulated sugar on high speed for 5 minutes or until thickened and pale yellow.

Beat in the lemon and orange rind** and almond extract. With the mixer set on its lowest speed, beat in the almond meal and mix to blend.

Pour the batter into the pan.

Bake the cake for 35 minutes or until it is golden, a little darker around the edge with the cake pulling away from the edge. A cake tester inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs. but do not rely on testing this way, as this is meant to be a moist cake.

Cool in the pan; unlatch the sides and lift off the ring. Use a wide metal spatula to transfer the cake to a platter. If you do not have a wide spatula, try grabbing a bit of the parchment paper on the bottom and slide onto the platter.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I have heard varying reports on the almond flour. I am not a foodie, but I do enjoy cooking every now and then and have made tarta de santiago a number of times. I wonder what you think about whether the almond flour gives enough almond flavor to really be worth the hassle of finding it. I have gone for ground almonds, which is a more expensive alternative, but much easier.

Would love your reactions as a baker.

So, I have heard varying reports on the almond flour. I am not a foodie, but I do enjoy cooking every now and then and have made tarta de santiago a number of times. I wonder what you think about whether the almond flour gives enough almond flavor to really be worth the hassle of finding it. I have gone for ground almonds, which is a more expensive alternative, but much easier.

Would love your reactions as a baker.

Lately I've sourced my almond flour from Costco. I think it is a 5 pound bag, and a good quality. And it is a great price, too. I think ground almonds work fine. When I've used them, I run them briefly through my food processor; I pulse it so that the ground almonds don't turn into almond butter (don't ask me how I figured THAT out :p)

Almond flour usually has no or very little almond flavor when using it for baking. That is the reason I use a bit of almond extract, since I like almond flavor.

From what I understand, almond flour was the traditional ingredient; as such it is gluten free. I've seen recipes with wheat flour, but when I've tried them they just didn't produce the same result in texture.

What surprised me was while in Spain, how often I had Tarta that was way too bland, or dry, or denser than it should be. Then I realized that most places get it mass produced and frozen. . . similar to the way tourist eateries get their paella.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

:) Nah. . . I LIKE to bake and do a lot of bread baking, but I am far from an expert at it. Heck, I am still working at consistency with my baguettes where there are times the 'ears' on baguettes are more like blow-outs, than like controlled cuts from my lame. The taste is great, but it can drive me to irritation. :)

The great thing about baking is avoiding store bought breads. I have good recipes for hot dog/sausage rolls, hamburger buns, sandwich loaf bread, etc. The UPS guy hates me because I source my flours from King Arthur Flour, either through Amazon or King Arthur's website. Twice a month UPS drops off 75 or 100 pound flour orders.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I've made it twice, and both times I ground the almonds myself - what a pain that was! Next time I'll try the almond flour, or I think that Trader Joe's sells ground almond meal.

Yeah, the problem is the almond butter risk; it is a real fine line. It is sorta the same thing as whipping cream. . . to much whipping and you've got butter and whey :)

Almond flour is readily available. I think the best is ground skin free—no brown specks. I think Trader Joes’s Is ground with skin but Bob’s Red Mill and Nutz dot com are two food brands without skins and there are more as well.

Ok...since we're talking recipes...does anyone have a good one for a Spanish tortilla? Like the potato, onion & ham breakfast ones on the CF?
Tried, but I'm not getting it right. Simple, but not the same taste!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ok...since we're talking recipes...does anyone have a good one for a Spanish tortilla? Like the potato, onion & ham breakfast ones on the CF?
I have used different recipes for tortilla that I have found online, but for me the secret is using the right kind of potatoes. You don't want to use potatoes with a lot of starch, like those used for baked potatoes. I like to use Yukon Gold potatoes. I have never had tortilla with ham, but I do like onion in mine. And if you have trouble with flipping it you can cheat and finish it in the oven. But make sure that your skillet is oven proof!

Aaakkkk!!!!! Ya wanna see a regional food argument that might come to blows? Start talking about Tortilla de Patatas recipes that add anything other than eggs and potatoes to the recipe. 😬

Anyway, this is the recipe I use. It is very much the same as the better ones I ate along Camino Frances. One may add whatever extra, polluting ingredients the choose :) But consider reducing the volume of potato in order to compensate for added ingredients. This will help preserve that needed volume of egg so that a good ratio of egg properly layers over and around the other ingredients.

Tortillas de Patatas

Makes 1 (10-inch) tortilla

Equipment: 10-inch nonstick or well-seasoned carbon steel skillet, fine-mesh strainer

Ingredients

8 large eggs

Kosher salt

2 cups (475ml) extra-virgin olive oil (see note above)

1 1/2 pounds (700g) Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced crosswise

3/4 pound (350g) yellow onions, thinly sliced

Directions

In a large bowl, beat eggs vigorously with a large pinch of salt until frothy. Set aside.

Meanwhile, in a 10-inch nonstick or well-seasoned carbon steel skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add potatoes and onions; they should gently (but not vigorously) bubble in the oil. Regulating heat to maintain a gentle bubbling, cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes and onions are meltingly tender, about 25 minutes. Set a fine-mesh strainer over a heatproof bowl and drain potatoes and onions of excess oil. Reserve oil.

Transfer potatoes and onions to a medium heatproof bowl and season generously with salt, stirring well to combine. Beat eggs vigorously to re-froth, then scrape potato and onion in and stir until thoroughly combined. Set aside for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, wipe out skillet. Add 3 tablespoons (45ml) reserved frying oil to skillet and set over medium-high heat until shimmering. Scrape egg mixture into skillet and cook, swirling and shaking pan rapidly, until bottom and sides begin to set, about 3 minutes. Using a heatproof spatula, press the edges in to begin to form the tortilla's puck shape. Continue to cook, adjusting heat to prevent bottom of tortilla from burning, until beginning to set around edges, about 3 minutes longer.

Working over a sink or garbage can, place a large overturned flat plate or lid on top of skillet, set hand on top (using a dish towel if you are sensitive to heat), and, in one very quick motion, invert tortilla onto it. Add 1 more tablespoon (15ml) reserved oil to skillet and return to heat.

Carefully slide tortilla back into skillet and continue to cook until second side is beginning to firm up, about 2 minutes. Use rubber spatula to again press the sides in all around to form a rounded puck shape. Continue to cook tortilla until lightly browned on second side but still tender in the center when pressed with a finger, about 2 minutes longer. If desired, you can flip tortilla 2 to 3 more times during these last minutes of cooking, which helps to cook the center more evenly and reinforce the shape.

Carefully slide tortilla out of skillet onto a clean plate (or invert it onto a clean plate using same method as before) and let stand at least 5 minutes before serving with allioli. Tortilla can be cut into wedges for a larger meal or into cubes for an hors d'oeuvre–sized snack. It is just as good, if not better, at room temperature.

Leftover tortilla can be refrigerated up to 3 days; allow to return to room temperature before serving.

When I did a homestay in Barcelona while I was taking a two week Spanish course there my hostess cooked tortilla one night. She had a special plate with a sort of handle in the middle of the back side to use while flipping the tortilla. I have looked in several stores along the Camino, but haven't found one. Here's a rather expensive one on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003329MH4/?tag=casaivar02-20

And here is the same one on a site with a scallop shell in their logo! https://www.tienda.com/products/pue...ykSwgvYBEJITB2K2RJCqGXfFe4s4nCFBoCN4EQAvD_BwE

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
:) Nah. . . I LIKE to bake and do a lot of bread baking, but I am far from an expert at it. Heck, I am still working at consistency with my baguettes where there are times the 'ears' on baguettes are more like blow-outs, than like controlled cuts from my lame. The taste is great, but it can drive me to irritation. :)

The great thing about baking is avoiding store bought breads. I have good recipes for hot dog/sausage rolls, hamburger buns, sandwich loaf bread, etc. The UPS guy hates me because I source my flours from King Arthur Flour, either through Amazon or King Arthur's website. Twice a month UPS drops off 75 or 100 pound flour orders.

My big question is where to get the Templar template?

Here's the recipe, Laurie :) And I have been baking artisan breads for awhile now. Especially sourdough. But after the first Camino, I needed to bake my own Spanish baguette sandwich rolls for my own bocadillo needs :) On my first stay in Madrid, bakeries were a must visit for me, and that was where I got the Tarte recipe and the baguette tips.

Tarta de Santiago

Makes one 9-inch round

Ingredients

Butter (for the pan)
6 Eggs
1¼ cups Granulated sugar
1 Lemon rind, grated

Directions

Lightly butter a 9-inch springform pan. Line the bottom with a round of parchment paper, and butter the paper.

In an electric mixer, beat the eggs and granulated sugar on high speed for 5 minutes or until thickened and pale yellow.

Beat in the lemon and orange rind and almond extract. With the mixer set on its lowest speed, beat in the almond meal and mix to blend.

Bake the cake for 35 minutes or until it is golden, a little darker around the edge with the cake pulling away from the edge. A cake tester inserted into the center comes out with moist crumbs. but do not rely on testing this way, as this is meant to be a moist cake.

Cool in the pan; unlatch the sides and lift off the ring. Use a wide metal spatula to transfer the cake to a platter. If you do not have a wide spatula, try grabbing a bit of the parchment paper on the bottom and slide onto the platter.
Thanks so much. Now I know what to do with the almond flour jumping up for attention when I am looking for whole meal to make the bread... we have a visitor at the moment so it will be just the trick for a surprise dessert this evening!
Aaakkkk!!!!! Ya wanna see a regional food argument that might come to blows? Start talking about Tortilla de Patatas recipes that add anything other than eggs and potatoes to the recipe. 😬

Anyway, this is the recipe I use. It is very much the same as the better ones I ate along Camino Frances. One may add whatever extra, polluting ingredients the choose :) But consider reducing the volume of potato in order to compensate for added ingredients. This will help preserve that needed volume of egg so that a good ratio of egg properly layers over and around the other ingredients.

Tortillas de Patatas

Equipment: 10-inch nonstick or well-seasoned carbon steel skillet, fine-mesh strainer

Ingredients

8 large eggs

Kosher salt

1 1/2 pounds (700g) Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled, halved, and thinly sliced crosswise

Directions

In a large bowl, beat eggs vigorously with a large pinch of salt until frothy. Set aside.

Meanwhile, in a 10-inch nonstick or well-seasoned carbon steel skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add potatoes and onions; they should gently (but not vigorously) bubble in the oil. Regulating heat to maintain a gentle bubbling, cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes and onions are meltingly tender, about 25 minutes. Set a fine-mesh strainer over a heatproof bowl and drain potatoes and onions of excess oil. Reserve oil.

Transfer potatoes and onions to a medium heatproof bowl and season generously with salt, stirring well to combine. Beat eggs vigorously to re-froth, then scrape potato and onion in and stir until thoroughly combined. Set aside for 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, wipe out skillet. Add 3 tablespoons (45ml) reserved frying oil to skillet and set over medium-high heat until shimmering. Scrape egg mixture into skillet and cook, swirling and shaking pan rapidly, until bottom and sides begin to set, about 3 minutes. Using a heatproof spatula, press the edges in to begin to form the tortilla's puck shape. Continue to cook, adjusting heat to prevent bottom of tortilla from burning, until beginning to set around edges, about 3 minutes longer.

Working over a sink or garbage can, place a large overturned flat plate or lid on top of skillet, set hand on top (using a dish towel if you are sensitive to heat), and, in one very quick motion, invert tortilla onto it. Add 1 more tablespoon (15ml) reserved oil to skillet and return to heat.

Carefully slide tortilla back into skillet and continue to cook until second side is beginning to firm up, about 2 minutes. Use rubber spatula to again press the sides in all around to form a rounded puck shape. Continue to cook tortilla until lightly browned on second side but still tender in the center when pressed with a finger, about 2 minutes longer. If desired, you can flip tortilla 2 to 3 more times during these last minutes of cooking, which helps to cook the center more evenly and reinforce the shape.

Carefully slide tortilla out of skillet onto a clean plate (or invert it onto a clean plate using same method as before) and let stand at least 5 minutes before serving with allioli. Tortilla can be cut into wedges for a larger meal or into cubes for an hors d'oeuvre–sized snack. It is just as good, if not better, at room temperature.

Leftover tortilla can be refrigerated up to 3 days; allow to return to room temperature before serving.
not fair. I haven’t time to make one just now! You really could run a tv show, you know, not just on choosing Camino gear, and probably on more camino related topics as well as Camino gastronomy! Thanks for your generous sharing.

When I did a homestay in Barcelona while I was taking a two week Spanish course there my hostess cooked tortilla one night. She had a special plate with a sort of handle in the middle of the back side to use while flipping the tortilla. I have looked in several stores along the Camino, but haven't found one. Here's a rather expensive one on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003329MH4/?tag=casaivar02-20

And here is the same one on a site with a scallop shell in their logo! https://www.tienda.com/products/pue...ykSwgvYBEJITB2K2RJCqGXfFe4s4nCFBoCN4EQAvD_BwE
I was given a present of a plastic one but it isn’t as good as the wooden one my hostess was using... a rim of plastic stuck each tine to the frying pan. I just use a plate and a prayer for a steady hand.

Thanks so much. Now I know what to do with the almond flour jumping up for attention when I am looking for whole meal to make the bread... we have a visitor at the moment so it will be just the trick for a surprise dessert this evening!

not fair. I haven’t time to make one just now! You really could run a tv show, you know, not just on choosing Camino gear, and probably on more camino related topics as well as Camino gastronomy! Thanks for your generous sharing.

A couple of things to consider:

Get an inexpensive mandoline to slice the potatoes. It makes it soooo much quicker and easier than slicing by hand. And you can experiment on the thickness to adjust for the texture you like best. Plus you will end up with slices of consistent thickness which is ideal for making sure everything gets done at about the same time.

For frying the potatoes (and onions if you like them), get the least expensive olive oil. The quality of the oil's flavor is less important than the quantity used in the frying pan. You'll save a lot of money if you make tortillas frequently.

I use a non-stick aluminum fry pan. I chose this because of the weight of the pan. If the pan is too heavy, it makes it difficult to maneuver the pan when turning the tortilla over onto a plate in order to cook both sides.

The non-stick is a non PFOA material and it really helps with moving the cooking tortilla around the pan.

I was given a present of a plastic one but it isn’t as good as the wooden one my hostess was using... a rim of plastic stuck each tine to the frying pan. I just use a plate and a prayer for a steady hand.

I use a plain Corelle 10.25" dinner plate. This size will fit just inside the upper rim of the frying pan which gives it some stability while I flip the tortilla. and with the very low raise area around the rim of the plate, it allows the tortilla to easily slide back into the pan. The same size in a plastic/melamine plate has worked well, too.

View attachment 51819
Truly a Renaissance man! Is there anything you don't enjoy doing? You utterly embrace life in so many arenas. Thanks for sharing the recipe earlier in this feed! So nice seeing your posts again!😀

Last edited:
My big question is where to get the Templar template?

These Santiago Cross templates are sold around Santiago de Compostela in most kitchen supply stores and even hardware stores (ferreteria). They are inox (stainless steel). I have seen them mostly in a two-cross set on a blister pak, hanging on a peg / hook where kitchen gadgets are sold.

One cross is about 8 inches long, for the tarta. The other smaller, maybe 5 inches long, for baking smaller stuff.

You lay the cross on your food, dust with confectioners sugar, or whatever you are using, and lift the cross by the hanging hoop. Easy Peasy...

I recall they sell for about €8 the set / pair.

I KNOW you can get them at the large ferreteria on the corner of Rua Horreo, around the square from the airport bus stop at Plaza Galicia in Santiago. I have seen them at Brico Mart / El Corte Ingles, Carrefour (the big one at the As Cancelas Mall), and at several smaller kitchen shops in the old town. Those names escape me at the moment, But, others might know. I never have problems finding them, except in the first half of August, after the huge tourist crush around the Festa de Santiago on 25 July every year.

In 2018, I also found smaller versions of the cross in red plastic for about €3 each in souvenir shops. You have to look for them, and they are small - like 3 inches to 4 inches tall.

I found them in the new souvenir shop sort of across from the post office next to the Pilgrim Office on Rua Carretas. These work the same and are good for tartlets or small cakes / loafs. But being plastic, I would not toss them in the dishwasher.

When I found them, I bought a bunch to give to friends as gifts. They are always a surprise and very much appreciated.

Finally, for the cooks out there, there is a US located store called La Tienda. Here is the link to their cookware page.

Did not see the Cruz de Santiago there, but they DO have a lot of cool Spanish cookware and assorted stuff.

Perhaps someone could induce Ivar to carry these stainless steel / inox templates in the Casa Ivar shop? With some 80,000 Forum members, I would think these would be popular... just sayin...

Hope this helps.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
These Santiago Cross templates are sold around Santiago de Compostela in most kitchen supply stores and even hardware stores (ferreteria). They are inox (stainless steel). I have seen them mostly in a two-cross set on a blister pak, hanging on a peg / hook where kitchen gadgets are sold.

One cross is about 8 inches long, for the tarta. The other smaller, maybe 5 inches long, for baking smaller stuff.

You lay the cross on your food, dust with confectioners sugar, or whatever you are using, and lift the cross by the hanging hoop. Easy Peasy...

I recall they sell for about €8 the set / pair.

I KNOW you can get them at the large ferreteria on the corner of Rua Horreo, around the square from the airport bus stop at Plaza Galicia in Santiago. I have seen them at Brico Mart / El Corte Ingles, Carrefour (the big one at the As Cancelas Mall), and at several smaller kitchen shops in the old town. Those names escape me at the moment, But, others might know. I never have problems finding them, except in the first half of August, after the huge tourist crush around the Festa de Santiago on 25 July every year.

In 2018, I also found smaller versions of the cross in red plastic for about €3 each in souvenir shops. You have to look for them, and they are small - like 3 inches to 4 inches tall.

I found them in the new souvenir shop sort of across from the post office next to the Pilgrim Office on Rua Carretas. These work the same and are good for tartlets or small cakes / loafs. But being plastic, I would not toss them in the dishwasher.

When I found them, I bought a bunch to give to friends as gifts. They are always a surprise and very much appreciated.

Finally, for the cooks out there, there is a US located store called La Tienda. Here is the link to their cookware page.

Did not see the Cruz de Santiago there, but they DO have a lot of cool Spanish cookware and assorted stuff.

Perhaps someone could induce Ivar to carry these stainless steel / inox templates in the Casa Ivar shop? With some 80,000 Forum members, I would think these would be popular... just sayin...

Hope this helps.
Thankyou so much for the information, I'll be hopefully finding a proper set in Santiago in June after my CP ....
Love

I recommend starting at the corner ferreteria on Plaza Galicia - Ferreteria Horreos. The crosses are downstairs in the kitchen section, usually on the opposite far wall as you step off the stairs. Usually they are on the top row. That is where assorted kitchen and cooking gadgets are displayed. I have the best luck, and consistently, finding them there.

Buen Suerte! (My Spanish is improving...)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Rather than flip against a plate we find a tortilla double pan more convenient. Most cookware shops in Spain have them in different sizes.

Attachments

• 20190207_134717.jpg
    20190207_134717.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 35

Oh you are so right about that. My son took a year long course for foreigners at the University in Oviedo and in his class on Spanish culture, the right answer to the question on a test — what are the three ingredients in a tortilla española?—was eggs, potatoes and olive oil. He, however, armed with the opinion of several friends in his dorm from another part of Spain, managed to get credit for his answer of eggs, potatoes and onions. :)

Tortillas de Patatas

Ingredients

8 large eggs

Kosher salt

Directions

Ok @davebugg has anyone written a camino cookbook? I think 🤔we should write one ? when you perfect your baguette recipe. Then we can sell the cookbook in the forum store and maybe donate some of the profits back to the forum and some charities 😉

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I use one of THESE to flip the tortilla - are you conveniently located near an IKEA store? ;) The little handle is a boon and folds down flat for storage. Not as pretty as ceramics but maybe more versatile - if I fried food (which I DON'T if my daughter ever sees this) then I'd use it as a spatter guard too.

Judging by some of the tarts I've experienced on the Camino you could combine both trades and resole your boots with the things! Now a nice Galician cheesecake . . . 🍰

I use one of THESE to flip the tortilla - are you conveniently located near an IKEA store? ;) The little handle is a boon and folds down flat for storage. Not as pretty as ceramics but maybe more versatile - if I fried food (which I DON'T if my daughter ever sees this) then I'd use it as a spatter guard too.
That looks perfect. I'm not near an Ikea, but next time I'm in a city with an Ikea I'll have to remember to look for one.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Tarta de Santiago

Makes one 9-inch round

Ingredients

Butter (for the pan)
6 Eggs
1¼ cups Granulated sugar
1 Lemon rind, grated

Directions

Beat in the lemon and orange rind and almond extract. With the mixer set on its lowest speed, beat in the almond meal and mix to blend.

Not that anyone is waiting with bated breath for a photo of my effort, but it will not be today that I make the Tarta... I found a discounted Lemon Drizzle cake in my favourite shop - down from €4.50 to .70cent so am now relaxing before starting to prepare dinner. When I make the tarta, I will certainly post a photo, successful or not...

Not that anyone is waiting with bated breath for a photo of my effort, but it will not be today that I make the Tarta... I found a discounted Lemon Drizzle cake in my favourite shop - down from €4.50 to .70cent so am now relaxing before starting to prepare dinner. When I make the tarta, I will certainly post a photo, successful or not...
Ok. You know you need to share... but sadly im too far 😅

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Tarta de Santiago

Makes one 9-inch round

Ingredients

Butter (for the pan)
6 Eggs
1¼ cups Granulated sugar
1 Lemon rind, grated

Directions

The instructions say to add the lemon rind and the orange rind, but I don’t see orange rind on the list of ingredients. Is it the same amount as the lemon rind?

I am so glad to see your posts again!

The instructions say to add the lemon rind and the orange rind, but I don’t see orange rind on the list of ingredients. Is it the same amount as the lemon rind?

I am so glad to see your posts again!

:eek:
Yeah, 'bout that..., the recipe originally added orange zest, but I dropped it after finding I do not like it :) But, if you want to add it, then it would be the same amount.

Sometimes when I decide to drop an ingredient, my code for that is to leave the ingredient listed as part of those listed, but with an added asterisk, and to remove it as an ingredient during the Directions for baking. It looks like I did the opposite here. My paper copy in my recipe binder has that done, but I didn't do it completely in my Word file.

I have edited the OP to reflect the change.

Sorry about the confusion. :)

I love the way you casually say: “in one very quick motion”. Quick motions don’t work very well in my kitchen!

LOL!!! Nor in mine.. . . . at first. Since I knew this was something I would be doing for a few different kinds of dishes, I practiced. My practice medium was a batch of Scottish shortbread dough. (I bake the stuff periodically, and figured when I got finished, I could refrigerate it for baking later that week.).

Filled the pan with about the same volume in height as a tortilla, and loosely compacted the dough so that it would still be able to flex around a bit. I practiced while using a cut piece of silicone rubber shelf liner on the bottom of the upside down plate as it sat on top of the dough waiting to be flipped.

Then it is just a matter of doing the motions, step by step, just as you would do with the tortilla itself. I kept practicing until I felt confident about maintaining good balance and control. It doesn't take long.

I think the biggest challenge is wrist and hand strength vs the weight of the pan with the tortilla. That is why I use an aluminum pan. It is lighter than either my cast iron, stainless steel, or carbon steel pans. The one I use has a slightly thicker than normal bottom which helps with temperature control in the pan.

Use a very flexible oven mitt, if needed, and when manipulating the pan grab the handle closer to the pan itself (choke up on the handle) to help with the pan's weight.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Tortillas de Patatas

Ingredients

8 large eggs

Kosher salt

Directions

AS usual, Davebug comes through! Muchas gracias!

View attachment 51819
do please pass the recipe

I got mine while in Madrid.. actually two different sizes. They are made of stainless steel. But you can make your own template by tracing the pattern onto any stiff material and the cutting it out.

Where did you buy it in Madrid,i will be going there next month.

More easier to find are the lazy omelette makers that are like two frying pans connected together with a hinge. You just turn the fring pan upside down and start cooking on the opposite side. Just search on Amazon for omelette pan and you should find a few.

More easier to find are the lazy omelette makers that are like two frying pans connected together with a hinge. You just turn the fring pan upside down and start cooking on the opposite side. Just search on Amazon for omelette pan and you should find a few.
View attachment 51934
Amazon does have the tortilla pans, so the tortilla shape remains intact :). I've used one, but I don't find it meaningfully any faster for me at this point. Plus, it just takes up more shelf space. For those who want one, the Cuisinart one is a pretty good bargain, plus the pans can be used as regular fry pans 👍

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0078P9D5S/?tag=casaivar02-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008JFTOC8/?tag=casaivar02-20

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
There are dozens of recipes already offered in the thread but I'll have to add mine to the mix. Attached. Stencil included. My wife and I have served as hospitaleros at Refugio Gaucelmo in Rabanal now six times and I've made this numerous times for afternoon tea that is traditionally served there. Picture attached. 51947After the first time, each year I've brought from home two Tarta de Santiago "kits": all of the prepared and measured dry ingredients in a Zip-Lock bag. Add eggs, butter and lemon and it's ready for the oven!

Attachments

• Tarta de Santiago.pdf
    72.4 KB · Views: 37

Tortillas de Patatas

Ingredients

8 large eggs

Kosher salt

Directions

I use much the same recipe (maybe leaning to a touch more potato and a touch less onion in the ratio). For Christmas I got two non-stick pans that can be used separately but hinge together, which makes flipping the tortilla really easy. Just put the second pan on top with the hinge in place, flip it over, put it back on the burner, and remove the top (formerly bottom) pan. The combo was designed specifically for tortillas. [Edited to add that I now see you've discussed my tortilla pans above.]

I use much the same recipe (maybe leaning to a touch more potato and a touch less onion in the ratio). For Christmas I got two non-stick pans that can be used separately but hinge together, which makes flipping the tortilla really easy. Just put the second pan on top with the hinge in place, flip it over, put it back on the burner, and remove the top (formerly bottom) pan. The combo was designed specifically for tortillas. [Edited to add that I now see you've discussed my tortilla pans above.]

I tend not to use the onions, but since it is the most popular add in I have it included in the recipe. I prefer the 'purist' version :)

Tarta de Santiago

Makes one 9-inch round

Ingredients

Butter (for the pan)
6 Eggs
1¼ cups Granulated sugar
1 Lemon rind, grated

Directions

Beat in the lemon and orange rind** and almond extract. With the mixer set on its lowest speed, beat in the almond meal and mix to blend.

Im sure it is DELICIOUS !!!! Thanks a lot for the recipe 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

There are dozens of recipes already offered in the thread but I'll have to add mine to the mix. Attached. Stencil included. My wife and I have served as hospitaleros at Refugio Gaucelmo in Rabanal now six times and I've made this numerous times for afternoon tea that is traditionally served there. Picture attached. View attachment 51947After the first time, each year I've brought from home two Tarta de Santiago "kits": all of the prepared and measured dry ingredients in a Zip-Lock bag. Add eggs, butter and lemon and it's ready for the oven!
Your tarta de santiago looks really nice,thank you for the recipe,I will be making it son.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Your wife is a very blessed woman!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@davebugg the baguette tips?? Please!

1. The poolish must be made the evening before and after allowing it to sit at room temp for 2 hours, put it into a refrigerator overnight.

2. A small tray of water on the bottom rack while the oven pre-heats. Pre-heat the oven 30 degrees F above the baking temp; this will compensate for the loss of heat when putting the baguette dough in to bake. Then reset temp to the regular cooking temp.

3. After experimenting with combinations of pizza stones, sheet pans, etc.. this is now what I use with good success.

4. I use a home made bread board (a wood cutting board will work fine) and use a couche for the final rising after the loaves are shaped. This allows for the proper 'skin' to form.

5. A transfer peel really comes in handy to preserve the shaped dough when transferred from the couche to the baking pan.

6. A thin, well sharpened knife works well for cutting the 'slits' in the dough if you do not have a lame.

7. I like having the baking rack for my baguette baking to be at the bottom third of the oven. The water tray will sit on the rack below and to one side near the oven wall.

8. I do not cook to time, I cook to temperature. The baguette is done when the center measures 200 - 205 F. An instant read thermometer is invaluable.

When mixing the dough (dough hook), I let the dough rest for 10 minutes immediately after the flour has mixed with the water. It allows the dough to hydrate. Then when I start the mixer (dough hook) again, then I can properly gauge if there is a need to add either a bit more water or flour.

Then the dough mixes for about 4 more minutes and then I do a 'window test' to determine gluten development levels. After the gluten is developed, then it off to the first rise.

View attachment 51819
Was that at Moega?

Thanks @davebugg
The two main differences are the tray and I’ve always left my poolish out overnight. I’ll see what difference refrigerating it makes. Wanting to buy the tray too but I’m trying to buy only essentials this year!

Thanks @davebugg
The two main differences are the tray and I’ve always left my poolish out overnight. I’ll see what difference refrigerating it makes. Wanting to buy the tray too but I’m trying to buy only essentials this year!

How are your baguettes turning out as far as blow outs? I still have a problem with it periodically, and I can't seem to figure out what the variation is which causes it. It doesn't happen often, but it is aggravating :)

Actually my baguettes are pretty good (and non bakers think any homemade bread is fabulous) - I have more trouble with timing the rising of sourdough when I have to be out of the house. Also trying to find a rye and whole-wheat recipe that is light and fluffy but that might be impossible. My kids prefer shop bread <roll eyes> I tell them people pay good money for slow rise artisan organic sourdough bread - but no one believes me

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Actually my baguettes are pretty good (and non bakers think any homemade bread is fabulous) - I have more trouble with timing the rising of sourdough when I have to be out of the house. Also trying to find a rye and whole-wheat recipe that is light and fluffy but that might be impossible. My kids prefer shop bread <roll eyes> I tell them people pay good money for slow rise artisan organic sourdough bread - but no one believes me

Kids - - what ya gonna do?

This is a sandwich bread recipe I use. It's not whole wheat, but maybe the kids will like it better than the shop bread :)

Ingredients
  • 303g to 340g lukewarm water*
  • 32g honey
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons instant yeast
  • 1 3/4 teaspoons salt
  • 28g soft butter
  • 482g Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
  • 35g Baker's Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk granules
*Use the lesser amount in summer or humid climates; the greater amount in winter or drier climates.

Directions
  1. Mix all of the ingredients in the order listed, and mix and knead — by hand, or using a stand mixer — to make a smooth dough. It won't be particularly soft nor stiff; it should be smooth and feel bouncy and elastic under your hands.
  2. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl, or large (8-cup) measuring cup. Cover it, and let it rise for 60 to 90 minutes, till it's become quite puffy, though not necessarily doubled in size.
  3. Gently deflate the dough, and shape it into a fat 9" log. Place it in a lightly greased 9" x 5" or 10" x 5" loaf pan.
  4. Cover the pan, and let the dough rise for 60 to 90 minutes, till it's crowned 1" to 1 1/2" over the rim of the pan. Towards the end of the rising time, preheat the oven to 350°F.
  5. Bake the bread for 20 minutes. Tent it lightly with aluminum foil, and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes, till it's golden brown. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center will read 195°F to 200°F.
  6. Remove the bread from the oven, and turn it out onto a rack to cool. When completely cool, wrap in plastic, and store at room temperature.
Yield: 1 large loaf, about 18 servings.

BTW, I don't know if you use it in your baguette dough, but I add diastatic malt, somewhere between 1 to 2 teaspoons.

Ooooh look at all those ingredients! I do some perfectly-acceptable-to-the-grumblers white bread with just flour yeast salt and water, but whole grains are so much more healthy and rye sourdough lasts all week meaning I only have to bake once a week (I’d rather be walking or reading or writing or crocheting or knitting or handsewing than standing in a kitchen)
FTR, my kids have to eat whatever I make - and when they were preteens they made the bread and ate it happily!

Ooooh look at all those ingredients! I do some perfectly-acceptable-to-the-grumblers white bread with just flour yeast salt and water, but whole grains are so much more healthy and rye sourdough lasts all week meaning I only have to bake once a week (I’d rather be walking or reading or writing or crocheting or knitting or handsewing than standing in a kitchen)
FTR, my kids have to eat whatever I make - and when they were preteens they made the bread and ate it happily!

Yeah, there are a few more ingredients. :eek: You are so right about the white bread, though; a good bread only needs the four ingredients :)

I can't imagine that your kids would NOT have loved the bread you baked 👍 I wish I could enjoy your breads, I bet they are wonderful 😁

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The fusspots love the bread straight from the oven but want that fresh feel for sandwiches the rest of the week - only shop bread full of preservatives can provide such freshness after a few days!

The fusspots love the bread straight from the oven but want that fresh feel for sandwiches the rest of the week - only shop bread full of preservatives can provide such freshness after a few days!
Following this part of the thread: all sounds wholesome! When I make bread, I usually slice it and put it in the freezer, taking it out as needed. It takes very little time to defrost. You more than likely know that though.

This is a most terrible and depressing thread. For someone who has just begun to get serious about dieting that is!! 😂 So of course I read each and every post and check each and every link...and now quite frankly I'm going to go throw open the cupboard doors and begin grazing!!.....or go outside for walk! Keep posting people...just keep posting those recipes and pictures!! 😂

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@davebugg the baguette tips?? Please!

What are some of your baguette and bread tips? You've got more experience baking than I do, and I wish that I had some of that experience of yours. Following a recipe is a small thing -- sort of like chemistry science; it's the 'artistic' side which produces the best breads. . . . the techniques and sense of what the dough is doing.

I envy you that :)

What a great thread! And thank you, @davebugg for explaining the proper tortilla method. There’s an online Spanish food group that I nearly had to leave because of the things people were doing to tortillas! (“I microwaved the potatoes and didn’t use any olive oil, why doesn’t it taste like the ones in Spain??”) 😅😅

I totally get your point about using a cheaper oil ... over here it can be an expensive proposition to go through that much higher dollar oil. However, Spanish tortilla purists will argue that since there are so few ingredients, that one should use the best potatoes, the best eggs and the best oil available. Mine have been made with whatever Yukon gold potatoes I could find, store bought eggs and the olive oil I had on hand and they have tasted great to me. But I wouldn’t mind upping my game with better eggs and oil ... this YouTube video shows a good looking tortilla made with a really minimal amount of olive oil. Will try this next!
Speaking of the quality of eggs, I proudly sent a photo of my first tortilla to a Galician friend and the first thing he said was “what eggs are you using??” (because it was so light colored). I used regular store-bought eggs, but now have a source for better quality eggs (with those bright orange yolks!).

Someone above asked about a Camino cookbook ... there actually IS one!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0997253401/?tag=casaivar02-20

Someone above also mentioned a splatter guard for cooking the potatoes. The idea is more to very lightly fry, or even poach them, with a low heat, this avoiding the splatter (and burns ... ask me how I know!).

Loving this baguette conversation too ... kind of a must to accompany a great tortilla! Happy cooking everyone!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
What a great thread! And thank you, @davebugg for explaining the proper tortilla method. There’s an online Spanish food group that I nearly had to leave because of the things people were doing to tortillas! (“I microwaved the potatoes and didn’t use any olive oil, why doesn’t it taste like the ones in Spain??”) 😅😅

I totally get your point about using a cheaper oil ... over here it can be an expensive proposition to go through that much higher dollar oil. However, Spanish tortilla purists will argue that since there are so few ingredients, that one should use the best potatoes, the best eggs and the best oil available. Mine have been made with whatever Yukon gold potatoes I could find, store bought eggs and the olive oil I had on hand and they have tasted great to me. But I wouldn’t mind upping my game with better eggs and oil ... this YouTube video shows a good looking tortilla made with a really minimal amount of olive oil. Will try this next!
Speaking of the quality of eggs, I proudly sent a photo of my first tortilla to a Galician friend and the first thing he said was “what eggs are you using??” (because it was so light colored). I used regular store-bought eggs, but now have a source for better quality eggs (with those bright orange yolks!).

Someone above asked about a Camino cookbook ... there actually IS one!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0997253401/?tag=casaivar02-20

Someone above also mentioned a splatter guard for cooking the potatoes. The idea is more to very lightly fry, or even poach them, with a low heat, this avoiding the splatter (and burns ... ask me how I know!).

Loving this baguette conversation too ... kind of a must to accompany a great tortilla! Happy cooking everyone!

It sometimes surprises folks to know that flavorful olive oils can be relatively cheap, and the most expensive can be relatively flavorless. :)

To prevent splattering I do two things:

1. I dry off as much water as possible from the potato slices after soaking and re-rinsing.

I usually slice them the night before and let them soak in cold water overnight which helps remove excess starches. That makes them less gummy during the frying. Then after draining in a colander, I thoroughly rinse them. The colander is part of a Oxo salad spin drier, so after as much of the as possible drains, I put the colander into the spinner and fling as much water off the slices as I can. Then the slices are deposited onto cotton-linen kitchen towels, and I pat them with paper towels.

2. I do what you do and set the temperature during frying so that there is only a gentle bubbling of the oil. So, after getting the oil to temp, I might have to turn it down a bit in order to get to the gentle bubbling. This also helps keep the potato slices from frying up like french fried chips :)

Yes, drying the potatoes well is a good step that a lot of recipes don’t mention, but I agree it helps.

Have you ever heard of the Tortilla de Betanzos? Betanzos is a charming old town on the Camino Inglés and they claim to have the best tortilla in Spain. It’s not just juicy in the middle, it’s downright runny! Not to everyone’s taste, for sure, but something unique on the Camino. There’s an interesting video from Meson O Pote on YouTube showing how they make it.

Yes, drying the potatoes well is a good step that a lot of recipes don’t mention, but I agree it helps.

Have you ever heard of the Tortilla de Betanzos? Betanzos is a charming old town on the Camino Inglés and they claim to have the best tortilla in Spain. It’s not just juicy in the middle, it’s downright runny! Not to everyone’s taste, for sure, but something unique on the Camino. There’s an interesting video from Meson O Pote on YouTube showing how they make it.

I'll be on Camino Ingles this October, so I'll have to try it. :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

51977And here it is! Betanzos 2016. A bit too runny to my taste...

I had read that the best tortilla in Spain on the Frances was in Sahagan. I gave it a try, it was thick, rich and delicious...I totally agreed!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I had read that the best tortilla in Spain on the Frances was in Sahagan. I gave it a try, it was thick, rich and delicious...I totally agreed!

I agree. I had one at one of the places the local's seemed to frequent, a bit off of the primary route in Sahagun. I could tell it definitely wasn't a thaw-n-heat concoction. :)

View attachment 51819
THANK YOU FOR THE DELICIOUS RECIPE!

Lately I've sourced my almond flour from Costco. I think it is a 5 pound bag, and a good quality. And it is a great price, too. I think ground almonds work fine. When I've used them, I run them briefly through my food processor; I pulse it so that the ground almonds don't turn into almond butter (don't ask me how I figured THAT out :p)

Almond flour usually has no or very little almond flavor when using it for baking. That is the reason I use a bit of almond extract, since I like almond flavor.

From what I understand, almond flour was the traditional ingredient; as such it is gluten free. I've seen recipes with wheat flour, but when I've tried them they just didn't produce the same result in texture.

What surprised me was while in Spain, how often I had Tarta that was way too bland, or dry, or denser than it should be. Then I realized that most places get it mass produced and frozen. . . similar to the way tourist eateries get their paella.

Tarta de Santiago

Makes one 9-inch round

Ingredients

Butter (for the pan)
6 Eggs
1¼ cups Granulated sugar
1 Lemon rind, grated

Directions

Thank you for the recipe! I only had an 8" spring form pan so I increased the baking time to 40 minutes. I also added the zest of one orange along with the lemon. I brought it to work at 8am and it was completely gone before 9am. So exciting!

Attachments

• tarta de Santiago.png
    tarta de Santiago.png
    19.9 KB · Views: 10

View attachment 51819
Finally! A few adjustments: no almond essence, so used vanilla. No regular sugar, so used less of caster sugar. Didn't measure tin, so gave an extra 15 minutes in oven. Template a bit large for diameter of cake, but, hey! It is a nourishing item for the tea later on! Thanks for recipe, and template.

Nobody complained...just asked that I make it again before I forget how to...

Not quite a dessert, although sweetness is an ingredient...
I typed up a recipe given by a friend, and on checking it just now see a wonderful typo. I wonder how much of a difference it would make to leave the typo as an ingredient?
Lamb in curry sauce.
1 tablespoon oil
Half kilo lamb pieces
Small onion
3 cloves garlic crushed
2 teaspoons turmeric
1 teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon paprika
Half teaspoon nutmeg
4 tablespoons sultanas
Tin tomatoes
Lamb or veg stock half pint

Heat oil in heavy pan.
Then brown lamb and remove from pan.
Add opinion, garlic, ginger, turmeric, nutmeg, sultanas, paprika, cinnamon.
Fry for 2 minutes add lamb back in, tomatoes and stock.
Cook gently one and a half hours.
Serve with rice and spinach.

Amazon does have the tortilla pans, so the tortilla shape remains intact :). I've used one, but I don't find it meaningfully any faster for me at this point. Plus, it just takes up more shelf space. For those who want one, the Cuisinart one is a pretty good bargain, plus the pans can be used as regular fry pans 👍

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0078P9D5S/?tag=casaivar02-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008JFTOC8/?tag=casaivar02-20
I feel pretty silly - the other day when I remembered that I have a brand new in the box set of the Cuisinart pans that my mother gave us for Christmas a couple of years ago. 😆

I broke them out and they make a perfect tortilla 20190412_202028-756x756.jpg

Purists please ignore the bits of red pepper. I had a partial jar of roasted red peppers that needed to be used.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
wonder what you think about whether the almond flour gives enough almond flavor to really be worth the hassle of finding it
Yeah, the problem is the almond butter risk; it is a real fine line. It is sorta the same thing as whipping cream. . . to much whipping and you've got butter and whey
Coming really late to this party.:confused:
But about almond flour: the commercial kind is often a little 'off' and never as good as what you can easily make at home. I've used a mouli - one of those hand-held mills that looks like a little drum with a handle - and it gives results that are far superior to a food processor. The blade of a food processor finely chops the nuts, releasing the oil and giving a slightly grittier texture. But the mouli shaves them, producing a fragrant and fluffy flour that is very fine and completely dry. (That's especially impotant if you are making a torte out of walnuts or hazelnuts...which is another kind of torte altogether than Torta de Santiago but equally delicious!)
Yummy thread, Dave!😋
Thank you for starting and to everyone for the contributions!

Coming really late to this party.:confused:
But about almond flour: the commercial kind is often a little 'off' and never as good as what you can easily make at home. I've used a mouli - one of those hand-held mills that looks like a little drum with a handle - and it gives results that are far superior to a food processor. The blade of a food processor finely chops the nuts, releasing the oil and giving a slightly grittier texture. But the mouli shaves them, producing a fragrant and fluffy flour that is very fine and completely dry. (That's especially impotant if you are making a torte out of walnuts or hazelnuts...which is another kind of torte altogether than Torta de Santiago but equally delicious!)
Yummy thread, Dave!😋
Thank you for starting and to everyone for the contributions!

That makes sense using the mouli; I might give that a try :)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I feel pretty silly - the other day when I remembered that I have a brand new in the box set of the Cuisinart pans that my mother gave us for Christmas a couple of years ago. 😆

I broke them out and they make a perfect tortilla

Purists please ignore the bits of red pepper. I had a partial jar of roasted red peppers that needed to be used.

That really looks tasty. :)

I broke them out and they make a perfect tortilla View attachment 54876

Muy buena totilla,you only need a glass of Albarino.Well done

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
How do you like my charity shop measuring cups? I love them. I am sending the photo of the tarta just newly out of the oven. Tomorrow I will take it to some people who need sugar injections as they will have a few meeting days, and also it will prevent me from eating it if I give it away!
Thanks again. @davebugg , for sharing the recipe.

tarta.jpg
TartaitselfG_3784.jpg

How do you like my charity shop measuring cups? I love them. I am sending the photo of the tarta just newly out of the oven. Tomorrow I will take it to some people who need sugar injections as they will have a few meeting days, and also it will prevent me from eating it if I give it away!
Thanks again. @davebugg , for sharing the recipe.

View attachment 58139
View attachment 58140
just you wait,VNwalking!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

View attachment 51819

View attachment 51819
Please could you tell me the name of the bakery ,as I will be going to Madrid soon. Gracias

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Dave

Tarta de Santiago

Makes one 9-inch round

Ingredients

Butter (for the pan)
6 Eggs
1¼ cups Granulated sugar
1 Lemon rind, grated

Directions

First of all: well done on your great news yesterday about being almost up to scratch with your fitness regime and abilities.
Now, a photo of a tarta De Santiago, using your recipe, that I made this morning to take with me tomorrow to the final pottery class of the year. I need to hide it from myself...
8C85ECD0-915F-4C12-B295-A52290153A00.jpeg

€149,-
I didn't have a round cake pan, so used this square one. Believe it or not, it tasted exactly the same as I remembered😆...great recipe, Dave! (I got a little carried away on the powdered sugar though. Maybe why I liked it so well.😂 Thanks for the metal templates!
20190519_094330.jpg

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back