• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Too big shoes?

KariannNor

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances/Finestere 2023, 2024 ?
I'm curious if people wear shoes one/half size too big shoes due to swelling of the feet? Heard this recommended, but I've never needed it on my long hikes (5-6 hours). But it has been in cold temperatures, so, will the heat make my feet swell? What do you think and what do you do?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This varies a lot from person to person - for some people, feet swell a lot in the heat, for others not.
The fact that you can walk 6 hours and your feet don't swell is a good sign, but only if exposed to heat you will really find out.

I never wear shoes "extra size" for the camino. I wear the same ones I walk at my home town (cold parts of Australia). But I came to learn that I need shoes that breath well: the only time my feet got swollen to the point of hurting was once I was training with waterproof shoes on a hot day, and it was SO BAD, the temperatures inside the shoe were ridiculous. So now, only breathable shoes for me. At the same time, I know people who do entire caminos on summer with waterproof shoes just fine.

So I think the main thing is to make an educated guess considering how your feet normally behave. Maybe go with the shoes that are comfortable for you, but have some budget to buy something different if they out to be the wrong option for the camino?

This varies a lot from person to person - for some people, feet swell a lot in the heat, for others not.
The fact that you can walk 6 hours and your feet don't swell is a good sign, but only if exposed to heat you will really find out.

I never wear shoes "extra size" for the camino. I wear the same ones I walk at my home town (cold parts of Australia). But I came to learn that I need shoes that breath well: the only time my feet got swollen to the point of hurting was once I was training with waterproof shoes on a hot day, and it was SO BAD, the temperatures inside the shoe were ridiculous. So now, only breathable shoes for me. At the same time, I know people who do entire caminos on summer with waterproof shoes just fine.

So I think the main thing is to make an educated guess considering how your feet normally behave. Maybe go with the shoes that are comfortable for you, but have some budget to buy something different if they out to be the wrong option for the camino?
Thanks for sharing your useful experience. Also planning to use non-goretex or other waterproof materials.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks for sharing your useful experience. Also planning to use non-goretex or other waterproof materials.

Some people love the goretex shoes, to each their own :)

I hope you find comfortable shoes for your camino, and have the time to test and break them before your walk starts. All the best!

I'm curious if people wear shoes one/half size too big shoes due to swelling of the feet? Heard this recommended, but I've never needed it on my long hikes (5-6 hours). But it has been in cold temperatures, so, will the heat make my feet swell? What do you think and what do you do?
Never ever. Not on my hikes in moderate to cold climate, and not in Guatemala either. Shoes should fit as good as possible, without wobbling around at your feet. This would only increase the risk of blisters and worse.
The only reason I could imagine why in recent years this oversizing myth emerged: Maybe people not used to wearing practical shoes and to walking tend to generally buy shoes that do not fit well and even are too small from the start. I have seen many people wearing fashionable or office shoes that were definitely too small, squeezing their feet into them.

When I got my first "proper" shoes I was recommended to go at least a size bigger. I did so and the toe box was to wide and "floaty". I ended up with plus half size (10 1/2 instead of 10) and I'm very pleased with the fit.

Also, shoes can have different widths depending on the make so its important to get properly fitted (in my opinion) for your first shoes (mine are a narrow fit)

As above, the caveat is that everyone is different.

Best of luck choosing your footwear.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Never ever. Not on my hikes in moderate to cold climate, and not in Guatemala either. Shoes should fit as good as possible, without wobbling around at your feet. This would only increase the risk of blisters and worse.
The only reason I could imagine why in recent years this oversizing myth emerged: Maybe people not used to wearing practical shoes and to walking tend to generally buy shoes that do not fit well and even are too small from the start. I have seen many people wearing fashionable or office shoes that were definitely too small, squeezing their feet into them.
I don't size up either as per the reasons already stated. I think this advice is so popular on the camino because this is the first time most walkers have done a long hike.

When I got my first "proper" shoes I was recommended to go at least a size bigger. I did so and the toe box was to wide and "floaty". I ended up with plus half size (10 1/2 instead of 10) and I'm very pleased with the fit.

Also, shoes can have different widths depending on the make so its important to get properly fitted (in my opinion) for your first shoes (mine are a narrow fit)

As above, the caveat is that everyone is different.

Best of luck choosing your footwear.
I never go by numbers at all unless I am re-buying a brand and model I bought before. Depending on brand, my shoe sizes vary by up to 1.5 in difference. So a 10.5 from one brand might be a perfect fit as might be a 12 from another.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Totally dependent upon your feet and your choice of shoe. People often wear shoes that are a bit too small in everyday life, so that’s where this idea may stem from. I will say that my feet do swell when I walk the Camino, but they still fit into my usual shoes from home (which fit nicely all the time, not too tight and not too “sloppy”). As with most things Camino, try out your gear before leaving - not just for a one day hike, but multiple long days in a row. You’ll quickly ascertain if your shoes fit or not.

Not entirely coincidentally that is as recommended by Dave Bugg as follows:
and by many others before him!! @davebugg has contributed to a discussion that started well before he and I joined the forum, and will no doubt continue despite the fact that what is sound advice on this topic hasn't fundamentally changed. If you can get to a good outdoors retailer with a fitting slope, merely buying a size larger is not sound advice! That said, the link @henrythedog has provided is the latest and probably the most complete explanation, and what is offered in the first half dozen or so posts there offers a pretty complete coverage of the topic.

Last edited:
Actually my feel always swell on the plane before I arrive in Spain--a lot more than when I am walking and pushing that fluid back up to my heart! Coincidently, I always wore a size 7 medium womens (US) and now I wear an 8 1/2 (40 in European sizes) after my 2016 Camino...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I should have bought my shoes a half size larger than I did. The last 10 days walking my feet were very swollen and my toes ached.

To answer your question, only you can know if you need the extra space or not, and you are most likely to know that on Camino. My feet did not swell at home and I was walking 15-20km daily so I assumed it would be fine.

Rather than sizing up for the Camino, I now size up for everyday walking, so the same size works for the Camino. I have found it absolutely wonderful to wear shoes that are roomy in my wide forefoot, yet the lacing can be adjusted, depending on socks and minor swelling, to provide the necessary snugness around my mid-foot. For me, the right fit has always depended on width.

Some great advice here. I would only add that once you put the added weight on your back the game changes so make sure you train for it. Regardless, plan on getting blisters and learn how to deal with them as no matter how perfectly you think you have prepared the camino always provides!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I just make it easy and wear hiking sandals - they are very breathable and adjust easily for any swelling.😊

Agree that I suspect many people’s normal shoes are a half to whole size too small.
The other element is general health. Existing poor circulation will only get worse as you walk day after day - and I think many more ‘non-hiking’ people are on Camino these days. Finally your feet do spread with age.
My feet don’t swell much - I noticed just a little puffiness towards the end of a long Camino. My Merrells always fit like an easy glove and every morning my feet sigh with happiness as I put them on.
May you too find such a shoe / boot.
Buen Camino

I just make it easy and wear hiking sandals - they are very breathable and adjust easily for any swelling.
Not always so easy. Not many sandals can accommodate custom orthotics, and also, every pair has the straps positioned differently so there's still lots of opportunity for problems. (For those of us whose feet are the drama queens of our bodies.)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Feet swell over an extended trek. If your feet do not swell, you're quite fortunate--but I imagine that is a distinct minority. Carrying 12-15 lbs mostly resting on your hips transfers that weight right down your legs to your feet on each foot fall. The tighter your shoes get the more likely to experience some level of shear force and potential blisters. Remember, it's not just friction--your feet are always moving against the inside of the shoe. It's when that friction becomes strong enough to cause a pulling separation between the surface of the skin and underlying tissue. The more cramped your feet get, the more likely friction becomes shear force. Wide is good. Extra wide is even better.

Yes go up 1/2 size, you will be very happy. Just be sure the shoe will hold your foot so it doesn't slide forward. I wear Altras, a barefoot boot, mid height and it holds my foot back so no toe bumping. It hasn't been that hot here but my feet still get sweaty, maybe because my boot is waterproof. No blisters til we had a very wet, rainy day and my feet were pretty wet despite waterproofing. Altras are more of a trailrunner company, lots of their products are not waterproof but we like the extra protection. I go up 1/2 size in my Keen hikers too. We're grom NH, USA, so in the White Mountains we need good footwear all 4 seasons.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Yes go up 1/2 size, you will be very happy.
It would be better to get your shoes fitted properly by an experienced salesperson. There are links to the advice on this earlier in this thread. The very short version is: take the socks, orthotics or other devices you will be using on the camino, do some walking and go later in the day, and don't park in front of the store but walk a little way to it. Then don't be surprised if the size is larger than your normal street shoes.

Unless you are so remote from an outfitters that you have to order online, just getting a half or full size larger is far from the best way of getting well fitting footwear. And for those who might be sensitive about what they perceive as their big feet, if you suddenly feel appalled at the size recommended, don't be. I have seen someone do this to their detriment. Fortunately, their big brother had a spare pair of 'evening shoes' that fitted much better. They were then appalled to realise that despite their size difference, she had the family feet!

It would be better to get your shoes fitted properly by an experienced salesperson. There are links to the advice on this earlier in this thread. The very short version is: take the socks, orthotics or other devices you will be using on the camino, do some walking and go later in the day, and don't park in front of the store but walk a little way to it. Then don't be surprised if the size is larger than your normal street shoes.

Unless you are so remote from an outfitters that you have to order online, just getting a half or full size larger is far from the best way of getting well fitting footwear. And for those who might be sensitive about what they perceive as their big feet, if you suddenly feel appalled at the size recommended, don't be. I have seen someone do this to their detriment. Fortunately, their big brother had a spare pair of 'evening shoes' that fitted much better. They were then appalled to realise that despite their size difference, she had the family feet!
I have always had trouble finding good hiking boots as I have a very boxy forefoot. Shoes and boots with a curved last do not work, they push my toes together from both sides. That's why I go with Keen traditional fit and the Altras, 1/2 size up. They don't squeeze my toes and the fit is not sloppy. Most outfitters in our area, even EMS or REI don't carry much variety in stores so it's all on-line ordering for me. Not all Keens are traditional fit. For this trip, 8 days on Voie de Vézelay, I ordered both 9 and 9 1/2 in the Altras and glad I did because my toes would have been sliding into the end of the shoe on the downhills. I am a four season, very experienced hiker and considered a regular Princess and the pea when it comes to my gear. No shoe salesperson has ever been helpful to me because my foot shape does not fit into most shoes, I have no bunions just a nice undeformed foot, with short squarish toes. Bottom line is only you can decide if a fit will work. And most retailers in the USA have limited return policies which preclude going for a nice long hike to test the fit.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We trained heavily for our first Camino in boots the same size as our regular shoes. They felt great and we thought they fitted perfectly. After five or six days on the CF, however, blisters damn near killed us. Finished the CF in sandals.

Since then we’ve walked nearly 2,500 miles in boots half to one size larger and had no problems.

We trained heavily for our first Camino in boots the same size as our regular shoes. They felt great and we thought they fitted perfectly. After five or six days on the CF, however, blisters damn near killed us. Finished the CF in sandals.

Since then we’ve walked nearly 2,500 miles in boots half to one size larger and had no problems.
Had a similar experience when road walking in Alabama years ago. Never saw blisters like those, top of toenail, under the nail and out the bottom! Arrived in Selma and bought a pair of sandals, boots never went back on til we flew home . Back in those you could return the boots, and I did.

At home, I wear Euro size 38-39; on the Camino, 40-41. The first day, I need two pairs of socks and some creative lacing, from the second or third day, the shoes are perfect.

When I get home, it takes me 3-4 days of NOT walking to get back to my normal size.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Maybe I'm an exception but my trail runners are actually 1 1/2 (current Saucony) to 2 sizes up (Salomon) from my normal size shoe and I wear thin running socks while walking. It was only when I went up 2 whole sizes with Salomon that I stopped getting bruising in my toe nails.

My normal size is European 39 1/2 and my Salomons are 42 and Sauconys 41.

By the way, over the years (after childbirth and all the walking) my feet have grown, one side effect of walking Caminos😉.

Agree with Anamya. Depending on individual. I normally wear EU 36, but last month whn my training hit 10km, my feet start to swell at 2nd hour(in tropical heat). Eventually I have to buy another pair size EU 37. For the fact that you hike 5, 6 without swelling is a good sign

I’m between size 8/8.5 with altra lone peak 6s, I also doubted my feet would swell and ended up getting an 8.5 in the Lone Peak 7s. Turns out there was quite a bit of swelling after a week of walking but the wide toe box has accommodated my foot and ankle swelling so going a full size up was unnecessary for me.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
and by many others before him!! @davebugg has contributed to a discussion that started well before he and I joined the forum, and will no doubt continue despite the fact that what is sound advice on this topic hasn't fundamentally changed. If you can get to a good outdoors retailer with a fitting slope, merely buying a size larger is not sound advice! That said, the link @henrythedog has provided is the latest and probably the most complete explanation, and what is offered in the first half dozen or so posts there offers a pretty complete coverage of the topic.
Yes, very good advice. I went to an outfitter and found that my right foot was a half size longer than my left and my left foot was wider than my right. I had sized out of women’s sized hiking boots altogether and went to a men’s shoe sized up one size. My feet looked like small SUVs and I always wore a silk liner and hiking socks. A little lambs wool in the toe to fill the extra space and I was good to go. My feet grew a full size on the Camino, not just from heat but from my feet getting more muscular! By the end of the first week or so, I did not need lambswool in the toe box and I got not one blister from St. Jean to Santiago.

Everyone's feet are different. But - I have talked at length with a local podiatrist who frequently walks the Camino with his family. He always pushes people to size up 1.5 to 2 sizes (US sizes). I took his advice and am so grateful I did - even though my feet don't truly swell - I have found I have a lot less issues.

For me - I wear a US size 8 normally (sometimes even 7.5) and I buy Altra Lone Peaks in size 9.5. I wear Injinji Toe Socks with a cushioned Darn Tough or Injinji Merino Wool Sock. They take up a lot of the extra space. Because Altra's are "foot shaped" they are more narrow in the heal, but have a great wide toe box. This works well for me as it is easy for me to tighten laces so that my foot doesn't slide around. And my toes have LOTS of wiggle room. I never blister in this combination. As long as I don't wreck my feet in some other shoe just before departure anyway.

I tried to go down to a size 9, just because... and my toenail areas on my big toes ended up bruising. So - back to the 9.5s and back to no issues. It is funny because when I test the 9's - they "seem" to have plenty of room in the toe area. But obviously I don't have as much as I think I do.

I went a size up and had no problems. I met a girl who didn't and lost both her big toenails. It ended get Camino early. Depends on the shoe and the feet though I guess.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I went a size up and had no problems. I met a girl who didn't and lost both her big toenails. It ended get Camino early. Depends on the shoe and the feet though I guess.
Or if you cut your toenails before you start walking or your lacing technique.

When researching for my own Camino, I found discussions like this a bit difficult if people didn't say whether they were referring to UK, EU or US sizing when "going up a size".

So here's my anecdata in case it's helpful to anyone.

I live in Singapore and almost never wear closed-toe shoes in this heat and humidity. My daily sandals (and similar) tend to be in EU 35 or 36.

My Inov-8 Roclite trail shoes, which I mostly only wear for travel in temperate climates, are US women's size 7 (which according to Inov-8 is EU 37.5).

For the Camino, I bought Brooks Glycerin GTS in US women's size 8 wide (which according to Brooks is EU 39).

While I think I could have also walked comfortably in US 7.5 wide, that wasn't available to me so I erred on the side of going bigger. I laced them with the runner's knot and used a mix of sock configurations (double-layered one day, liner + outer on other days).

I did wonder if I'd end up with blisters from having shoes slightly too big, but had no problems. Having said that, my Camino was very easy (only 100 km in shortish days from Vigo - Santiago, with luggage transfer).

My walking companion, who normally wears a women's EU 37, only sized up to EU 38 for her Altra Lone Peaks. She started our walk wearing a few silicone toe rings but soon said her toes felt cramped in her shoes, and stopped wearing them.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.