• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

(Too) busy in October? Or quietly (again)?

MarcelWals

Walking a Camino = a way of living...
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances,Portugues,Finisterre-Muxia,Ingles,Primitiv
The more I read on the forums, the more it gives me the feeling and intention that from Sarria to Santiago the Camino will be busier, more noise, crowdy etc. I've never been there before so I can't give an opinion about it. For some reason I like to know if people know (in front) if it will be busy on half of october or will it be quiet (again)? Again, for me it's my first time so I will enjoy it anyway. Will walk the Camino for my own reasons. Will walk alone, together with others and will 'get my moments'. But some posts 'tells' me people prefer the 'quiet' way of walking the Camino. Less noise, less people less other things. I will see and discover it in a week.

I'm curious what you think/feel/says about it.

Thanks!

Marcel

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Usually October was quieter, but every year the "high" season is longer.
I walked last year the first week of this month, in the Sarria-SdeC stages. There were people before and after us all the time, especially early in the morning, but I knew beforehand it was to be like that.
I found the "tour crowds" quite odd, but not particularly annoying. Overall, it was a good experience.
Later in the year, the weather could be definitely a factor to consider.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The more I read on the forums, the more it gives me the feeling and intention that from Sarria to Santiago the Camino will be busier, more noise, crowdy etc. I've never been there before so I can't give an opinion about it. For some reason I like to know if people know (in front) if it will be busy on half of october or will it be quiet (again)? Again, for me it's my first time so I will enjoy it anyway. Will walk the Camino for my own reasons. Will walk alone, together with others and will 'get my moments'. But some posts 'tells' me people prefer the 'quiet' way of walking the Camino. Less noise, less people less other things. I will see and discover it in a week.

Thanks!

Marcel

Hi I walked the Camino Frances from mid July to August and, Sarria to Santiago was quite busy.... but it was a lovely walk! Great choice of section of the CF to walk!

Buen Camino!

Here is Pilgrim Office Santiago website. You can find statistics of people who come to obtain a compostela in October (and be aware that not everyone does). This year is a 'holy year' so a bit busier as usual.
https://oficinadelperegrino.com/en/

For the thousandth time, it is not a Santiago Holy Year any more than it's a Holy Year worldwide. Any "benefit" sought in Santiago can be found in many a cathedral closer to your home.

The Holy Year of Mercy is not pilgrimage-centric.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Thanks!

Marcel

Hi Marcel! I walked in what has often been described as the height of the season (the Summer months). I have never minded the fact that there are more pilgrims starting from Sarria. I never thought it was 'too' busy'. Compared to what? Busier than other caminos, yes, but neither here or there if it's your starting point.
But that is just my personal opinion :)
My advice is not to listen to either side (the 'Argh it's way too crowded' or the 'it's absolutely fine' clans). ;)
You'll make your own experience and I hope you'll enjoy it whatever it brings!
Buen camino! :)

Last edited:
For the thousandth time, it is not a Santiago Holy Year any more than it's a Holy Year worldwide. Any "benefit" sought in Santiago can be found in many a cathedral closer to your home.

And your point is ... ? Pilgrims are out in record numbers ... because it is a holy year.

And your point is ... ? Pilgrims are out in record numbers ... because it is a holy year.
they may be out in record numbers because they think it's a Santiago Holy Year (which it is not), or for other reasons. It is rather a Holy Year of Mercy. Indulgences that could normally be had only at pilgrimage sites are right around the corner. My closest location is in Santa Maria, CA.
edit: for what it is worth, I particularly like the theme of Mercy, and giving to others.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Technically you are correct, but.......

I did the Camino this year, partially because it was a Holy year of Mercy. I entered 4 holy doors of mercy at four different cathedrals along the Camino and attended Mass at each. I did everything to earn 4 indulgences. I dedicated one to my dead mother and another to my late grandmother. You are right, except the Camino is one of the most famous pilgrimage routes in the world and a place where you can earn multiple indulgences at different Cathedrals that will leave a lasting memory recognized around the world. You can earn an indulgence at lots of Cathedrals, but few will be as memorable.

Hi Marcel! I walked in what has often been described as the height of the season (the Summer months). I have never minded the fact that there are more pilgrims starting from Sarria. I never thought it was 'too' busy'. Compared to what? Busier than other caminos, yes, but neither here or there if it's your starting point.
But that is just my personal opinion :)
My advice is not to listen to either side (the 'Argh it's way too crowded' or the 'it's absolutely fine' clans). ;)
You'll make your own experience and I hope you'll enjoy it whatever it brings!
Buen camino! :)

You're right! I will enjoy. Thnx.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I have found if you start very early around 6:30 or before you can avoid the masses. You have to be prepared to walk in the dark for at least an hour and get your breakfast the day before, but you will find more of a solitary setting.

Thanks!

Marcel
Just back from Sarria - SDC. It was not over busy and you can find quite moments if that is what you want.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I leave on wed and start walking Thursday so will let you know. What day do you start?

I leave on wed and start walking Thursday so will let you know. What day do you start?

Thnx! I will start on Tuesday 11th of October......very early in the morning ;)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Thanks!

Marcel
From what I have seen on statistics from the pilgrim's office in Santiago, they typically issue about 1/2 the amount of compostellas in October than they do in August, which seems to be the month they issue the most. I think the one set of numbers I saw was about 25,000 compostelas issued in October compared to about 54,000 in August.

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I have seen on statistics from the pilgrim's office in Santiago, they typically issue about 1/2 the amount of compostellas in October than they do in August, which seems to be the month they issue the most. I think the one set of numbers I saw was about 25,000 compostelas issues in October compared to about 54,000 in August.

Thnx for sharing this news.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Thanks!

Marcel
When I reached Sarria around the 1st of October, 2014, I expected the worse. Too my surprise it seemed quieter. Many Spaniards walk from Sarria. I think holidays are wrapping up in September. I remember it as not too bad. I stayed in the monastery on the edge of town. Nice place, not crowded. Pilgrims Mass in the small church attached.

I personally loved much of the countryside between Palas del Rei and the hill up to the airport outside of Santiago. There were lovely stretches of tree-lined trails and roads, with beautiful farms and homes. There was one stretch that seemed like I was moving along a small alley that only a few locals used and there were bars/cafes what were just stunning calling out for me to rest, when I didn't need to. There was also a really strong "vibe" of optimism as everyone knew they were on the "home stretch" and would soon be in Santiago.

Yes there were more people, but for me, most of the time they were happy people and happy people are generally fun to be around.

Yes there were more people, but for me, most of the time they were happy people and happy people are generally fun to be around.[/QUOTE]

This sounds good to me. It makes me happy in front :) Thnx!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Technically you are correct, but.......

I did the Camino this year, partially because it was a Holy year of Mercy. I entered 4 holy doors of mercy at four different cathedrals along the Camino and attended Mass at each. I did everything to earn 4 indulgences. I dedicated one to my dead mother and another to my late grandmother. You are right, except the Camino is one of the most famous pilgrimage routes in the world and a place where you can earn multiple indulgences at different Cathedrals that will leave a lasting memory recognized around the world. You can earn an indulgence at lots of Cathedrals, but few will be as memorable.

Not only am I right technically (as you put it), I am right.

One could as easily earn multiple indulgences while touring Bavaria by car or making efficient use of your time ashore on a Mediterranean cruise. The Holy Year of Mercy is neither Camino-centric nor Camino-specific.

I wonder if a side effect of the Holy Year of Mercy (intended or otherwise) is noticing God and our brothers, right here in our own backyards

I wonder if a side effect of the Holy Year of Mercy (intended or otherwise) is noticing God and our brothers, right here in our own backyards

That is the idea, it is up to each one of us to make it work ;-) Buen Camino de la Vida, SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked this stint in The last week in October 2003 . Soooo lush and green ...but there is a reason! It rained every day! Nonetheless , it was so beautiful .... The colours and scenery.
A few extra layers to combat the cold and a good light weight rainsuit.
Beware the day light saving date.

Not only am I right technically (as you put it), I am right.

One could as easily earn multiple indulgences while touring Bavaria by car or making efficient use of your time ashore on a Mediterranean cruise. The Holy Year of Mercy is neither Camino-centric nor Camino-specific.

In defence of @Older Guy , I loath conceited people and Don't take kindly to know it all bullies ..... I know I'm right.

Last edited:
In defence of @Older Guy , I loath conceited people and Don't take kindly to know it all bullies ..... I know I'm right.

I did not attack older guy. Nor did I bully him. I used his post to underscore my original point.

He's found a wonderful way to combine his Camino with the Holy Year of Mercy.

I've been addressing an issue of fact relative to the relationship between the Holy Year of Mercy and the Camino. No one has contradicted my understanding of what Pope Francis has done by creating Holy Doors worldwide that do not require pilgrimage, but sincere acts of faith.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I had inspired 3 of my friends to walk the Camino this year in September/October. I walked the CF last year at the same time and as a lone pilgrim I never had any problems with finding a bed. I regrettably told my friends not to worry about making reservations and there was no need to worry. I'm now hearing from them that they are either making on-line reservations everyday or getting out very early in the morning to be standing in line at the albergue at 1pm. All three of them have also been bitten by bed bugs so I'm starting to feel sorry for recommending the Camino.

I know that some of the most popular outdoor trails in North America have a system of reservations on them. This keeps the number down to a level where everybody is guaranteed a tenting spot and the stress on the facilities is a lot less. The powers that control the Camino should seriously consider a reservation system to keep the numbers down so that everybody is happy. If allowed to just continue, more people will have bad experiences and the CF will gain a bad reputation.

I know that some of the most popular outdoor trails in North America have a system of reservations on them. This keeps the number down to a level where everybody is guaranteed a tenting spot and the stress on the facilities is a lot less. The powers that control the Camino should seriously consider a reservation system to keep the numbers down so that everybody is happy. If allowed to just continue, more people will have bad experiences and the CF will gain a bad reputation.

Well so be it. It may gain a bad reputation with holiday seekers and they will stay away but pilgrims will still walk on.. As they've always done.
It is a pilgrimage, not just an 'outdoor trail'. Plenty of those everywhere else in the world and I am sure much more 'scenic'. :)
Ultreia!

I did not attack older guy. Nor did I bully him. I used his post to underscore my original point.

He's found a wonderful way to combine his Camino with the Holy Year of Mercy.

I've been addressing an issue of fact relative to the relationship between the Holy Year of Mercy and the Camino. No one has contradicted my understanding of what Pope Francis has done by creating Holy Doors worldwide that do not require pilgrimage, but sincere acts of faith.

My point is/was different from yours. My point as to why things are so busy on the Camino this year is that this is a year where one can earn one or multiple indulgences in the course of a normal religious Camino. The Camino is a pilgrimage where if you do it for most the CF, you can "easily" earn multiple indulgences in the course of a normal Camino. I earned 4, I could have earned more, but I decided to skip at least one Cathedral mass along the way, because I was very tired that day.

My point is further that if one is Catholic and stops and thinks about all the normal ways to earn an indulgence outside of this extra-ordinary year of Holy Mercy, the Camino or a pilgrimage to Rome during certain years are the really most popular ways. So to be able to do one of the most famous Catholic pilgrimages, gain multiple indulgences in a special year by just doing the pilgrimage, is kind of a bucket-list no brainer. Which is why so many are doing the Camino this year.

Your point is you can do that just about anywhere in this year of Holy Mercy. You are correct. One could drive from Cathedral to Cathedral across Europe, Canada, the USA, or just about any country with a large Catholic population and complete multiple indulgences. However, in doing it that way one would have a great car trip, but one would not have the memories of a Camino and having shared such a special event with millions of other fellow pilgrims.

In fact I would wager that bus pilgrimage tour operators are capitalizing on the point you are making this year. I would further wager that the pilgrimage tour operators view busing pilgrims between Camino Cathedrals is a great money maker for them that fills a desire by clients. An hence another reason that the Camino is so busy this year.

As I said you are technically correct (and will now add you are absolutely correct), but ....the Camino is busy partly because of its fame, what people associate with the Camino and because it is a year of Holy Mercy, which makes the Camino this year "extra special."

https://www.ewtn.com/expert/answers/indulgences_conditions.htm

perhaps we should not so invested in who is right about the Holy Year of Mercy that we forget the point of it. For anyone wondering where they might go here is a link: https://catholicpilgrimagesites.wordpress.com/holy-doors-of-mercy/
I especially like that in addition to many churches in and around San Francisco, for example, they included the prison chapel at San Quentin. I also like that for those unable to go to these Holy Doors due to illness, incarceration, etc there are other options. Plenty of Mercy to go around

Thanks!

Marcel
walked from St Jean to Burgos last week sept first week Oct ...never again..Packed with pilgrims Albergues full .. and roving packs of Koreans who don,t get that the Camino is a sharing and community place and not just for them alone.. Nasty habit of turning all the lights on in the Albergues and making lots of noise at 5 in the morning. never heard of creeping out quietly I,m afraid the French route is now off my list after 6 Caminos .. what is the Norte like more peaceful I HOPE.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If the number of arrivals in October, as reported by the Pilgrim Office in Santiago, continue (which I doubt they will), October will be as busy as June and September! The daily average so far is 1,153, far ahead of the 853 average last year.

I have found if you start very early around 6:30 or before you can avoid the masses. You have to be prepared to walk in the dark for at least an hour and get your breakfast the day before, but you will find more of a solitary setting.
Ironic but I found just the opposite. I started waiting until 8 or after and had much fewer pilgrims around. Just goes to show its totally unpredictable!

Well so be it. It may gain a bad reputation with holiday seekers and they will stay away but pilgrims will still walk on.. As they've always done.
It is a pilgrimage, not just an 'outdoor trail'. Plenty of those everywhere else in the world and I am sure much more 'scenic'. :)
Ultreia!
Exactly....

Ultreia!

Well, for those who are not Catholics, it is not a pilgrimage. :) And there is no problem in that. I walked the Camino just because I wanted to enjoy solitude and see nice places, and I know for sure I was not the only one doing that.

Last edited:
Well, for those who are not Catholics, it is not a pilgrimage. :) And there is no problem in that. I walked the Camino just because I wanted to enjoy solitude and see nice places, and I know for sure I was not the only one doing that.

Actually for me it is a pilgrimage and I am not a Roman-Catholic but an Anglican :) Buen Camino, SY

I actually had a young 16 year old pilgrim walk with me for a bit.
He asked if I was on a pilgrimage to Santiago. I replied , yes. He said, so your Catholic. I replied no...Baptist. He then stated so your not a Christian. I replied that yes I'm a born again Christian. He said he thought only Catholics can be Christians.
..... Yes the pilgrimage is to a Catholic Church....but all Christians....can celebrate....together......Amen....All pilgrims...can thoughtfully. Lovingly ....
Celebrate together.... :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Also remember, St.James/Santiago himself didn't belong to any particular church tradition (they came after his time) or you could say he belonged to all ;-) Buen Camino, SY

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
With so much division within churches....this is why I choose the World as my Church....celebrating in All things in All places ....Always

Actually for me it is a pilgrimage and I am not a Roman-Catholic but an Anglican :) Buen Camino, SY

I used the term "pilgrimage" referring to a journey to a sacred place. From what I know, Santiago is a holy place for Roman-Catholics. Sure, we can call "holy" every place where God's presence is, taking into account Moses' experience with the bush.

I actually had a young 16 year old pilgrim walk with me for a bit.
He asked if I was on a pilgrimage to Santiago. I replied , yes. He said, so your Catholic. I replied no...Baptist. He then stated so your not a Christian. I replied that yes I'm a born again Christian. He said he thought only Catholics can be Christians.
..... Yes the pilgrimage is to a Catholic Church....but all Christians....can celebrate....together......Amen....All pilgrims...can thoughtfully. Lovingly ....
Celebrate together.... :)

Well, there will always be people who don't know what we might consider basic. :)
One "correction", if I may: all people, regardless their religious convictions CAN (if they want) celebrate together. :)

For the thousandth time, it is not a Santiago Holy Year
I agree. The amount of times I have tried to explain this is beyond belief.
I am looking forward to 2017 when we will no longer have to tell pilgrims the facts.

Just a warning to take care with this thread - remember the rule against discussing religion. All good so far - we allow some leeway - but please make sure we keep the comments respectful (they have been so far) and no preaching.

I agree. The amount of times I have tried to explain this is beyond belief.
I am looking forward to 2017 when we will no longer have to tell pilgrims the facts.

Joe had a Priest in the Santiago Cathedral tell him it was a Holy Year when he asked about certain doors in the Cathedral being open, which could lead to confusion if you are not Catholic. Joe IS Catholic with a Jesuit education, btw. Calling it a 'Holy Year' of Mercy or of anything anything apparently means something more to some Catholics than others because many chose this year to do their pilgrimage, whether to the Vatican or to Santiago.

https://cruxnow.com/church/2015/12/07/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-holy-year-of-mercy/

October numbers are way up from last year. Only a couple of days have had less than 1,000 pilgrims. The entire month will be 5,000 to 6,000 more than last year. Open to speculation is whether the higher numbers are a permanent trend for pilgrims trying to avoid September crowds, or a product of the Pope's global declaration of a Holy Year. If it is permanent, and if annual numbers are still on an upward trend, expect April and May to become the popular months to avoid crowds. May is already home to many holidays and long weekends which have a huge impact in France (and a smaller impact in Spain), so it would not take much to have it join June and September as months that have joined July and August as too busy to be a lot of "fun." ;)

I am sure that the mods do agree that --- singing is always welcome ;-) Buen Camino, SY

I (an Anglican) have been known to sing (badly) in Roman Catholic churches and the ceiling didn't fall in! Buen Camino de la Vida, SY

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.