• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Too cold to walk in October? Too deserted for a woman alone?

Jade Ulrich

Time of past OR future Camino
Mid-September 2015
Do plenty of people walk the Camino through the end of October? I am unsure as to whether or not the beginning of October is considered the "winter" people avoid walking during.

I fly into Paris on September 17th and plan to make my way down to Saint Jean Pied De Port no later than September 20th-25th. I will be a woman walking alone and I am feeling slightly anxious, not knowing if there will be enough people walking the Camino, as I am trying to avoid walking without people within sight.

Also, I am less worried about weather, but still hoping deep snow won't be part of this equation!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Do plenty of people walk the Camino through the end of October? I am unsure as to whether or not the beginning of October is considered the "winter" people avoid walking during.

I fly into Paris on September 17th and plan to make my way down to Saint Jean Pied De Port no later than September 20th-25th. I will be a woman walking alone and I am feeling slightly anxious, not knowing if there will be enough people walking the Camino, as I am trying to avoid walking without people within sight.

Also, I am less worried about weather, but still hoping deep snow won't be part of this equation!
Hi Jade , you will not be alone on the Camino. There are still enough people where you can walk with.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino , Peter .

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Late Sept through October is a popular time to walk, there should be quite a few other people around. Temperatures can really start to alternate between hot one day and quite cold the next, expect colder mornings but still quite hot middays.

In October you should not have a problem with snow. Evenings can be chilly and the rain cold; be prepared with easily layered clothes. Starting mid month many accommodations will close for their well-earned vacation. Do be aware that every place including food shops will not necessarily be open. Thus always carry with you some basic foodstuffs ie firm cheese, small sausage, fruit and chocolate.

Buen camino!

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I started late October 2012. The numbers died down in Burgos, mid November, probably due to frost in the morning and shorter days. The numbers picked up again at Sarria.

The heavy snow started end November. The TV at one albergue was showing deep snow (two or three feet) near Val Carlos. The stuff at O Cebriero was about two or three inches and was the only day of snow I encountered. If you're done by the end of October, snow won't likely be part of the equation.

Hi Jade,
I've walked in October and November and there were still plenty of pilgrims on the route to keep you company if you wanted it.
The weather was actually lovely for walking.
A bit of rain that year, but if you have an ALTUS poncho or other raingear, nothing to worry about.
I didn't even take a jacket. Just layers and a windbreaker on top.
You'll be fine.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I shall be there from the end of September to the end of November and may meet you along the Way. I am looking forward to cooler weather and less crowded conditions. If you are nervous about walking alone, you might meet others in the albergues who are willing to walk within sight of one another and just keep an eye on each other. If you carry a cell phone, remember that the Spanish emergency number is 112. Have a wonderful time. Buen camino.

Enough people (November will get lonely and many places are seasonal), no snow. Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Hi Jade, I am also walking alone (by choice), but I would be happy to hook up with you. You don't want to start your trip with a lot of worry. If all plans go smoothly, I will begin my walk on Sept 25 at St. Jean. As Sept & Oct seems to be more popular each year, I think you'll be fine, but happy to keep your company if the dates work out. Let's keep in touch. Maggie

Hey Jade,
no worries at all... I started October 31, 2013, and walked all of November. It was actually very nice weather and suprisinly many pilgrims all the time (not too much but just enough ;)) . Yes it can rain, yes can can be a bit cold some mornings, but all in all superb period to walk - not the big summer crowds, nor the scorching heat.... Enjoy!!

Agreed, snow is only an issue if you are not prepared for it.

Thinkimg through weather scenarios is part of good prep.

Having said that i nearly lost fingers in the himalayas.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
My ideal time is easter

Hi Jade, I am also walking alone (by choice), but I would be happy to hook up with you. You don't want to start your trip with a lot of worry. If all plans go smoothly, I will begin my walk on Sept 25 at St. Jean. As Sept & Oct seems to be more popular each year, I think you'll be fine, but happy to keep your company if the dates work out. Let's keep in touch. Maggie

Sounds great Maggie! I hope to see you on the Way!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Jade Leaving Bilbao October 9 headed south. <--- Just an old fort but will look out for you too.

Hi Jade,

I'll be starting on Sept. 24 and I will be alone also. Sounds like there will be many of us in the same situation. Looking forward to seeing you along the way!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Jade- I have walked the Camino twice now, in Oct 2012 and again in Oct 2014 (by myself the second time) There are PLENTY of people on the trail and no snow. You are only alone on the Camino if you choose to be, and October is no exception- plenty of people around to feel social but you will also have time on your own as well if you choose.
I absolutely love walking at this time, the weather is all over the place though so just keep that in mind when packing! Hot sunny days and sometimes rain for hours... Happy planning and Buen Camino!

whould

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I agree with other contributors that you are never alone on the Camino unless you choose to be. Lots of people walking in October and if you are concerned leave with one of the many small groups departing the hostels each morning and keep them in your sights - that way you will usually have people both in front and behind you and quite likely walking with you. I met many young women in October last year walking alone and they seemed to be really enjoying the experience - but stay in your comfort zone. Buen Camino.

I started end

I started my camino in late September and ended in finisterre on November 1 St the weather was glorious most of the time and I walked alone when I wanted solitude and found enough people for company when I wanted to
So I would say -not too lonely not too cold!
Obviously you need a good waterproof poncho and something warm in case it does turn wet or cold !

My wife and I finished our first Camino at the end of October. It is a great time of year with cool nights in the albergues and days very comfortable for walking. Grapes are ripe on the vine and nuts on the trees. You may find people giving away fruit to pilgrims along the trail. We just missed heavy snow in O'Cebreiro as we had descended to Triacastela that day. A light knitted cap (toque in Canadian) and light gloves will be useful in the early mornings. I bought a fleece jacket in Leon to wear under my outer shell.

hello Jade,
I'm Celeste and we'll be out there during the same time. If anyone knows how maybe we can put up a thread for those people planning to start the camino the latter part of September 2015 so we can say hello and get an idea where we'll be. I don't have my flights yet but I'm 99% sure i'm going and i'm thinking we'll be leaving the states around the 22nd. Waiting to figure out if we're flying into Paris and taking train most of the way to SJPP. Until yesterday I was planning to do it alone, but now my third (of four) daughter who is 24 years old is thinking of going with me. (I'm 61) (I still want time for silence and reflection so my daughter may walk ahead or behind who knows...) We are going to be doing it slower than many doing the walk though as I want to allow for time to listen to my body which means we may miss you if you are ahead of us. I'm looking at least 45+ days to go the distance. starting slower and maybe picking up speed towards the end. If we do pick up MAYBE we'd do finnestere??? Anyone considering that. I'm concerned that part of the trail might be very sparce???

one question i still have (well of many) is which is better this time of year, rain jacket and pants OR the big poncho kind of jacket that goes over you and your backpack?

so anyway if anyone wants to start a thread it looked like by the replies there were at least 4 of us that will be out there around the same time.
Celeste

Last edited:
Hi Jade,
I am also planning on walking alone and will be starting on the 23 rd September. I would happily walk with you or nearby. It's good to have people you can see in the vicinity.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Hi Jade
Good for you
I have 5 ManKind Project friends starting the trail at SJPdP about then. I'll be joining them at Pamplona on the 20-21. Looking forward to the walk. Enjoy yours. Perhaps we'll meet. Blessings.

Hi Jade, I will start walking on my own from SJPP to Orisson on 28 September. I also feel anxious but very encouraged to read there will many of us in similar situations and I'm sure we will look out for one another. It would be nice to have someone walking within sight just for security. Good luck and hope to see you along the Way.

I too am walking in September and October. Arriving on my own but trusting I will meet others on the journey. I am less nervous about the walk than about trying to figure out airport transfers and buses to arrive at Saint Jean Pied de Port. Plan on bring a pair of gloves and a fleece to keep me warm on the trails. First time for me. I don't think the weather will be an issue, but if it is I have a few days planned with no walking that I can use to wait until it gets better. Safe travels.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
As for myself, yes, there are definitely months to avoid. Those are from May to September . I can't stand clear skies, sunny days. :)
If you happen to be around León the 4th or 5th of October, and see a gray bearded chap, with a hat and a leather jacket (yes, I use that...) please tell him "Buen Camino, Felipe"

Hi Jade, I'm also leaving SJPP on Sept 20th as a 23 year old solo female traveler...perhaps I'll see you there!
Buen Camino :)

Hi Jade, I am a mature solo walker heading on my first camino on the 23rd of September. might meet you along the route. Stay safe. :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I'll be arriving in St Jean in the afternoon of Saturday 19th and will start walking on Sunday 20th...I'll look out for you (look for a red headed Aussie). I walked the same dates last year - almost exactly - and there were people but not crowds of them, all the way along. It was actually a great time to be there, I thought!

Jade, I also am arriving in Paris on the 17th. I plan on enjoying Paris for a day and traveling to SJPP on the 19th. I would love to connect with you.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I'm starting from SJPdP on 10/01, too. Nice to know you'll be out there, too!

Sorry---this was my 2015 walk! I wish I were looking forward to that this year too, but my first grand baby is due to arrive on 2 November, and I won't miss it!

Sorry---this was my 2015 walk! I wish I were looking forward to that this year too, but my first grand baby is due to arrive on 2 November, and I won't miss it!
Congratulations from this Scorpio! I wish you the very best. Am looking forward to my first Camino!

I walked from 24 October to 12 Dec 2012 --- SJPdP to Fisterra. There were lots of pilgrims until mid November when there was frost. A lot of people went home from Burgos. Some nights I had the albergue to myself but usually there were several others. Many of the Albergues were closed ... concentrating those of us who walked in the ones that remained open.

I had one day of snow ... about 3 inches at O Cebreiro at end November. I walked on the road instead of the path. The only traffic was the snow plows that went by every few minutes ... apparently (but probably not) to keep the road open for the 6 of us that had stayed at O Cebreiro.

Galicia was mostly too warm to sustain snow ... but there were plenty of soakery squalls of rain to avoid if possible.

There were several women walking alone. Its probably safer than walking the streets of your own home town.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Congratulations from this Scorpio! I wish you the very best. Am looking forward to my first Camino!
Hi SimiK, as a fellow Scorpio also with a Nov 2 birthday, a hearty welcome to the forum. You will be glad you came here. I departed St Jean Sept 26 last year. The conditions were perfect. Clear suuny skies, comfortable temps and already in the glow of the experience of the wonderful Pilgrim meal the previous evening at Beilari with 25 others from around the globe, each sharing a bit of themselves. You will have no shortage of Pilgrim pals. From the get go, things just seem to fall into place. The choice will be yours. I treasured my time alone, but I equally treasure the memories of those with whom I did walk. As has been suggested, layering is the way to go. It did turn chilly during Oct evenings, and you can count on some rain in Galicia While weather is mostly unknown, for me I felt totally blessed for all of it, particularly that I was able to walk into Santiago to celebrate my 'Compleanos ochenta'. Wish you Buen Camino. Let us hear how you do.:)

Like WW in the post above I, too, walked alone from mid October 2012 to mid December 2012. Never had a major problem as a woman alone nor was I expecting any! Met a just few other pilgrims each day.

Here is a snowy photo from the church entrance at O Cebreiro November 26, 2012. Of course it was cold but hardly bitter! The heat in the municipal albergue was on full blast and the kind hospitalera offered those that were snow bound to stay another day. Walking off season you must be prepared for extreme weather. Read more re this and other of my solo late autumn/winter caminos in All My Caminos.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Hi Jade

My sister and I start walking from SJPDP on 25th September. We will look out for you. We are very excited. Hilary and Caroline

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Fear not, I walked the same route and the same time last year. The crowds are a tad thinner but still lots around :) You will find a "camino Family" and will watch out for each other all the way.

Fear not, I walked the same route and the same time last year. The crowds are a tad thinner but still lots around :) You will find a "camino Family" and will watch out for each other all the way.
She posted that original post summer 2015...
she apparently walked it two years before you did..:D

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back