• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Too Early to Feel Excited?

Frank66

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2016 Camino Frances
September (2017) First stage of Camino Portugués
Ok, so probably I should get out more . . . . the fact is that I am not embarking on my camino experience until May next year, but I'm already on the countdown!
I have recently had approval from work ( thank you Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service) for my start date of 4th of May (Star Wars day??); and now I have a specific date, it is all starting to feel a lot more real.
I probably should be looking forward to my holiday in Mar Menor, Spain next week, or house-hunting in Valencia in November, but all I can think about is the Camino next year.
Is this normal????o_O

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hahaha, you are perfectly normal! - I started planning my first one eleven months ahead of time - I think my family were glad when I finally left. This time i've decided to go only fairly recently but my rucksack is already packed and ready to go (I leave 3 weeks on Monday and start walking 3 weeks on Thursday, 10th September).

So buen camino @Frank66

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ok, so probably I should get out more . . . . the fact is that I am not embarking on my camino experience until May next year, but I'm already on the countdown!
I have recently had approval from work ( thank you Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service) for my start date of 4th of May (Star Wars day??); and now I have a specific date, it is all starting to feel a lot more real.
I probably should be looking forward to my holiday in Mar Menor, Spain next week, or house-hunting in Valencia in November, but all I can think about is the Camino next year.
Is this normal????o_O
I am going next May, also, and I think about it all the time too. Who cares about normal!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Too early? I will be traveling to Asia Minor in about seven weeks and I am yet to do some serious day-to-day planning. However, I already have a detailed written plan covering a period of sixty days, including each dia de descanso or day of rest for mi Camino next year--so, you can include me in the TEC or too early club if there is one.

May even see you there, then! Think I'm already becoming a Camino bore. Probably won't be bringing the guitar though :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ha! Too early? Hell no! I'm also going on my first one next April, and I just finished creating a spreadsheet with all my stuff, most everything weighed already. I'm such a data nerd -- the spreadsheet adjusts totals by category (paperwork, gear, clothing, toiletries/meds, and other) as I make adjustments. It's those dern things in the "other" category that will get the most cutting.....

Buen Camino!

We keep re-using our old packing lists. But oh, the number of print-outs from Godelalco.com I make in the months before each walk, while knowing that we will discard all such plans once we're actually on the camino...

Ha! Too early? Hell no! I'm also going on my first one next April, and I just finished creating a spreadsheet with all my stuff, most everything weighed already. I'm such a data nerd -- the spreadsheet adjusts totals by category (paperwork, gear, clothing, toiletries/meds, and other) as I make adjustments. It's those dern things in the "other" category that will get the most cutting.....

Buen Camino!

Buen Camino!
Seabird
When do you leave we are leaving April18 from Baltimore to MADRID flying home May 31 I live in Lancaster PA

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Is this normal????o_O
Hi Frank, it is so normal . For me it is become an addiction, and family and friends find it normal that I want to do it.
So, you don’t have to worry about it.
I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Yep! Absolutely normal - and you will start to see Camino references everywhere too. Tincatinker is right about the glazed faces of friends ... once it really bites and you become known for talking about it you can get a part-time job as a room divider at parties!

Buen Camino!!!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You would be abnormal if you weren't excited. Looking ahead to something important: B'Day, Christmas, holiday from work, etc is what gives meaning to one's life. You meet each day knowing you are a day closer to the big event.

A special bennie for that big smile on your face is that folks will ask you why you appear so happy and excited: did you win the lottery, buy a new car, new house...what?

Now you have a whole new group of folks that are not family for you to share you story as to why you're going on Camino.

Let the excitement begin!!!!

Seabird
When do you leave we are leaving April18 from Baltimore to MADRID flying home May 31 I live in Lancaster PA
I haven't finalized my dates, but it will be a similar time frame. My husband will meet me in Santiago around May 30, then we will spend another 10 days together in Spain before returning to Virginia.

Buen Camino!

You would be abnormal if you weren't excited. Looking ahead to something important: B'Day, Christmas, holiday from work, etc is what gives meaning to one's life. You meet each day knowing you are a day closer to the big event.

A special bennie for that big smile on your face is that folks will ask you why you appear so happy and excited: did you win the lottery, buy a new car, new house...what?

Now you have a whole new group of folks that are not family for you to share you story as to why you're going on Camino.

Let the excitement begin!!!!

The odd thing for me is that I've told no one about this except my husband (and my grandson, who was visiting and saw me walking around with a filled backpack to try it out). I feel almost protective about my decision. Like I don't want people to think I'm bragging about this, doing it for accolades. Or who knows, maybe I'm leaving myself a backdoor to chicken out. I hope not! And think not.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The odd thing for me is that I've told no one about this except my husband (and my grandson, who was visiting and saw me walking around with a filled backpack to try it out). I feel almost protective about my decision. Like I don't want people to think I'm bragging about this, doing it for accolades. Or who knows, maybe I'm leaving myself a backdoor to chicken out. I hope not! And think not.
I am walking with a long standing friend He is flying from Texas Our wives will meet us @May 15 in Saria walk to Santiago and just relaxing on our way down to Madrid for return flight

Hey Frank66. I'm heading out a little before you, in mid-March and like you I'm not bringing a guitar. However I've just bought a soprano ukulele and plan on taking it along. I'm having great fun learning to play sing-along songs and hymns so it might be a useful thing and not an annoyance. I hear, though, that some allergies have instruments just 'lying around', so you could just pack a tuner. Incidentally the uke weighs just 400 grams (that's less than 1 lb in English money).
Have fun planning. Burn Camino. Ah heck. How do I stop this thing giving me 'burn' when I mean b-u-e-n Camino?

Is this normal????o_O
What is normal? I walked for the second time last year and want to walk again, but have no immediate plans. Still I look at backpacks and stuff, even though I have all I need; and I often think about what clothing and equipment etc I would change next time.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Gosh, hope not! Wife and I planning to start from Leon Mid April 2016 and we are actually on a trip to Vermont to complete our kit list (well armed with guidance from this Forum). Once done, our training walks and fine tuning can really begin. On another note, we travel frequently to Valencia dreaming of one day settling there.

One of the things that ensures a happy life is always having something to look forward to!! We have been planning our Camino for over a year and leave on Sept. 4 from Toronto. I know it's not realistic but we've also watched the movie The Way about a billion times!! Lol....and from what I understand there is such a thing called 'Camino Fever'. Buen Camino!!

Hey Frank66. I'm heading out a little before you, in mid-March and like you I'm not bringing a guitar. However I've just bought a soprano ukulele and plan on taking it along. I'm having great fun learning to play sing-along songs and hymns so it might be a useful thing and not an annoyance. I hear, though, that some allergies have instruments just 'lying around', so you could just pack a tuner. Incidentally the uke weighs just 400 grams (that's less than 1 lb in English money).
Have fun planning. Burn Camino. Ah heck. How do I stop this thing giving me 'burn' when I mean b-u-e-n Camino?

Bobcat! I am hoping to do the same thing and bring my ukulele. I love the idea of having an instrument. I don't leave until mid-April, so please report while on the road (if you can) whether you're glad you have it! Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yep! Absolutely normal - and you will start to see Camino references everywhere too. Tincatinker is right about the glazed faces of friends ... once it really bites and you become known for talking about it you can get a part-time job as a room divider at parties!

Buen Camino!!!!
Someone with my sense of humour!!

How are you planning to transport your uke? I'm flying out and thinking that I won't be able to get in on as carry-on package.

Gosh, hope not! Wife and I planning to start from Leon Mid April 2016 and we are actually on a trip to Vermont to complete our kit list (well armed with guidance from this Forum). Once done, our training walks and fine tuning can really begin. On another note, we travel frequently to Valencia dreaming of one day settling there.
We have been planning to buy in Spain for some time - we want somewhere we can visit over the next few years on vacation, and then retire to eventually. We were originally looking at a country property but have decided to pretend we are still young whilst we can still get away with it, and are now looking for an city apartment. We are visiting Valencia city for the first time in November. (we originally were looking at Murcia area but Valencia City just seems to tick all the boxes.)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One of the things that ensures a happy life is always having something to look forward to!! We have been planning our Camino for over a year and leave on Sept. 4 from Toronto. I know it's not realistic but we've also watched the movie The Way about a billion times!! Lol....and from what I understand there is such a thing called 'Camino Fever'. Buen Camino!!
I'm building up an impressive list of "Camino' titles on the bookshelf, and yes, I confess to owning 'The Way". Once you learn to ignore Martin Sheen's acting talents, it is quite motivating!

As you can see by all the comments not only are you excited but were all excited for you. once you get there stay flexible in your plans and have a good trip. Buen Camino!

Buen Camino!
I am planning to begin mid April also, starting in SJPdeP. My daughter is going to walk with me as far as Burgos before she has to return for work. I feel like there is so much information about the Camino now that we are far removed from the Pilgrim experience of old when walking was much more on faith and discovery.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

This is me exactly !! Except for a few close friends no one really knows why I am going to Spain for 6 weeks. I think that I am afraid that people will tell me I can't do it or am crazy for trying. I work with a woman who did it about 10 years ago and did weeks and weeks of training etc. and I have not had that opportunity. She has made me feel like I have done nothing to prepare, despite 20 km hikes up into the mountains etc., and has said that taking a bus or a taxi is "cheating", so I avoid talking about it at work. It is also hard to use the word pilgrimage for me .... in my head and heart I am a pilgrim, in my conversation I am a walker !! LOL. I leave in 9 days and am getting very excited.

Last edited:
Don't be afraid of the word 'pilgrimage'. Using it gives witness to some level of faith. Many people are drawn to that. You'll find folks broach the subject one-to-one. They'll admire you for it!!
Tell the critics 'n jibers, if there are any, to "go take a walk", ... as it were!!!

Hahaha, you are perfectly normal! - I started planning my first one eleven months ahead of time - I think my family were glad when I finally left. This time i've decided to go only fairly recently but my rucksack is already packed and ready to go (I leave 3 weeks on Monday and start walking 3 weeks on Thursday, 10th September).

So buen camino @Frank66
I started planning a year ago and am leaving Sept 6th and starting my walk the the 9th. I will go as far as Orrison. I can hardly wait! Wishing I could start tomorrow.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not leaving until mid March next but was out shopping today, spending a gift card I got from colleagues on my retirement.
For the record, I bought a Rodens Faraway sleeping bag (only 700 grams) plus a liner , poles, micro-fibre towel and a poncho. €140 all in. Cleared the card in one go. Nice one. My one outstanding item now is the zip off trousers/shorts. Lidl were supposed to have them last week (I tried 3 branches), but they were all 3/4 length.

Roll on March 2016.

...My one outstanding item now is the zip off trousers/shorts. Lidl were supposed to have them last week (I tried 3 branches), but they were all 3/4 length.....

Bobcat77,
Try Decathlon for trousers/shorts. Their end of summer sales are on now.

Happy shopping and Buen camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We have been planning to buy in Spain for some time - we want somewhere we can visit over the next few years on vacation, and then retire to eventually. We were originally looking at a country property but have decided to pretend we are still young whilst we can still get away with it, and are now looking for an city apartment. We are visiting Valencia city for the first time in November. (we originally were looking at Murcia area but Valencia City just seems to tick all the boxes.)

My family has a place in the Ruzafa section right near the market. However there are lots of great neighbourhoods. (You must spend time there during the Falljas in March) It is also our back up plan if ones go sideways for us on the Camino. Still in Vermont, lots of great gear to be had here, trying to stay disciplined so o can keep the wight down...... Buen Camino! Sorry for being off topic.

This is me exactly !! Except for a few close friends no one really knows why I am going to Spain for 6 weeks. I think that I am afraid that people will tell me I can't do it or am crazy for trying. I work with a woman who did it about 10 years ago and did weeks and weeks of training etc. and I have not had that opportunity. She has made me feel like I have done nothing to prepare, despite 20 km hikes up into the mountains etc., and has said that taking a bus or a taxi is "cheating", so I avoid talking about it at work. It is also hard to use the word pilgrimage for me .... in my head and heart I am a pilgrim, in my conversation I am a walker !! LOL. I leave in 9 days and am getting very excited.
Ok, so I finally told two good friends, and decided to be specific that this is a pilgrimage for me. It still feels odd, but I assume that will pass.

@ShellsG -- It sounds like that woman at work is being very possessive about "her" camino. Too bad for her. But your camino will be YOURS. Buen Camino!

Ok, so I finally told two good friends, and decided to be specific that this is a pilgrimage for me. It still feels odd, but I assume that will pass.

@ShellsG -- It sounds like that woman at work is being very possessive about "her" camino. Too bad for her. But your camino will be YOURS. Buen Camino!
I used to walk with her and stopped because she walks so fast and I just got tired of walking just for the sake of walking and not seeing anything around me. I am happily looking forward to my camino. Some one asked me today if I was ready and being honest I said "of course not, but if I wait until I am slim and in perfect shape then it will never happen", but not being ready doesn't mean not being able to do it. I have faith in myself that I can pack the extra pounds I carry up and down and around and about, perhaps slower than some, perhaps faster than others ... but then I am only walking for me.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am planning to begin mid April also, starting in SJPdeP. My daughter is going to walk with me as far as Burgos before she has to return for work. I feel like there is so much information about the Camino now that we are far removed from the Pilgrim experience of old when walking was much more on faith and discovery.
Hello and welcome to this wonderful forum. On this forum you can find everything you want to know. You and your daughter will have a great time together. Wish you both well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

I know it well, I get that glazed expression almost daily as I have planned over 10 months for my first Camino starting in JUST TWO WEEKS!
Hi, I loved the planning part .For me it was not that long, I had a good teacher namely my wife and this forum . My wife walked the Camino Frances in 2013.
You will do fine and have a great time.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

€46,-
I started planning a year ago and am leaving Sept 6th and starting my walk the the 9th. I will go as far as Orrison. I can hardly wait! Wishing I could start tomorrow.
Hi Pat, don't take long now. In about 2 weeks your journey will go further where it started 1 year ago. And you will love the albergue Orisson.
I wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Is this normal????o_O
I completely agree. I begin on 25 March and am experiencing feelings and excitement like no other "vacation" enjoy this

Starting I mid -March 2016 (is there a thread for that yet?) and last night (20 August) I packed old clothes and shoes into my brand new Lowe Alping 35L bag which weighed around 6Kgs. I did a 5K loop from home. Took just an hour. All good. Slept like a baby too.
It's not much, but it's a start.
Roll on March.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have just had my long service leave approved and have already purchased my airline ticket ! I leave Sydney on the first of May and intend to start from SJPP on 5 May. I am SO excited and like a lot of you have been talking to anyone who will listen and reading anything and everything I can that relates to anything Camino.
I look forward to meeting up with some of you along the way.

Next step to prove it's never too early ... after an overnight visit to out holiday home for some small repairs, we used sleeping bags instead of making up fresh beds. (Lazy or what?) Anyway, it was an opportunity to try out my new bag & liner. Worked a treat. it was a cool, windy night outside, but snug as a big in my new 700 gram 'mummy' bag. Very comfortable. . It feels good to get to use the gear a few times before setting out. How it works; how it feels; how easy to get out of it in the dark to go to the loo; how it folds in the morning... ( how often have you NOT managed to get a sleeping back into the stuff-sack first time?) Well mine rolls up easy-peasy. Delighted. (I feel like a ten year old boy scout!!!). What am I to do for the remaining SEVEN months?

I know it well, I get that glazed expression almost daily as I have planned over 10 months for my first Camino starting in JUST TWO WEEKS!
Buen Camino, my fellow apprentice!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.