• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Too early?

Nchansen

Time of past OR future Camino
Walking my first camino July 2013.
Hello.
I'd like to introduce myself first.
My name is nicco. I'm a 23 years old soldier from Denmark.
In February 2014 I'm going to Afghanistan. Therefore I have decided to walk my first camino in July 2013. But I have a few doubts.

I have this plan to not bring my phone. I want to isolate myself totally from normally stressed life.
But could this give me some problems?

I have decided to walk el camino frances. Starting in SJPDP and end in Santiago 4 weeks later. But is that to fast? Would it stress me to know that I have to walk 30 km a day? Will It ruin my journey?

At last. I have been reading a lot of posts at this forum. I an see that most people are like 40 years old an up. Is there a chance that I'm too young and not ready? I hope not, cause I don't think I can wait.

Thanks a lot.
Nicco

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
No isolation on the camino, especially in July. many people around you, especially towards Santiago. While walking you will be able to be "alone" ; it's hard not to shar the Camino with many others around you.
4 weeks to Santiago is a bit tight, 32 days is enough to enjoy the experience.
No problems with your age, July is the season for many young people to hike, the best time actually. You should know that age is no barrier on th Camino, there's no generation gap on the Camino. You'll see many "old" peopel walk fastrer wnd better then young people.

Hello, Nicco. Welcome to the Forum.

Nchansen said:
I have this plan to not bring my phone. I want to isolate myself totally from normally stressed life.
But could this give me some problems?

Mobile phones are a recent invention. 8 years ago when walking the Camino Frances I was astonished to come across a peregrina sitting in the middle of nowhere speaking on a mobile. Back then it seemed rare. I have never carried a mobile phone whilst on the Camino. I carried a small laptop for part of one journey but found the weight and feeling of attachment to others too burdensome. So I left the laptop with someone and retrieved it after I had finished. When needing internet access along the way I use internet cafes, bibliotecas , cultural centres and Locatorios.

Nchansen said:
I have decided to walk el camino frances. Starting in SJPDP and end in Santiago 4 weeks later. But is that to fast? Would it stress me to know that I have to walk 30 km a day? Will It ruin my journey?

30 days from SJPDP to Santiago dC is a good average. In 2004 I did it in 32 days using a Lonely Planet guide and the CSJ booklet. I wasn’t in a hurry.

Nchansen said:
I can see that most people are like 40 years old an up. Is there a chance that I'm too young and not ready? I hope not, cause I don't think I can wait.

You are not too young. Many young people walk the Camino, usually during their summer breaks from school or university. It is quite a tradition in Spain for teenagers to celebrate the completion of their high-schooling by walking the Camino as a class group. I have even met teenagers from Germany and further afield hiking the Camino alone. The people on this forum represent a small percentage of a much larger group.

Wishing you every success as you plan and dream.
Sincerely,
Lovingkindness

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi!

Age isn't really an issue. There are people of all ages mixing together - more than in everyday life probably.

For me one of the best things about the Camino is the people you meet, and you tend to form a group of friends that you want to stay with for at least a few days. If you're walking further than them on average you won't be able to stay with your group for very long. You may be lucky and find a group who want to do similar distances as you, but I suspect the average is a bit shorter (about 20-25kms a day).

It completely depends on your priorities. You could consider starting a bit further on (eg Pamplona). You could also consider a different route such as the Portugues.

Check out Sillydoll's book on planning your Camino for other (probably better) suggestions!

Buen Camino!

I don't think you're too young to do it. I wish I had the chance to do something like this when I was 23. (I'm 30 now and I'll be 31 when I start off next May.) I think at your age, you have the maturity to appreciate what you are undertaking, but you're also young enough where you can still do stupid stuff and have people say, "He's just kid! Let him have fun!" It's that old saying, old enough to know better, but still to young to care!

Take your phone, but keep it turned off. You never know when there might be an emergency. Things like cellphones only become distractions when we let them.

Hi Nicco
Surely you know of Mikael Bertelsen and his mini-Camino. If not look herehttp://www.dr.dk/DR2/C/Camino/, this televison series inspired hundreds of yourfellow countrymen to walk the Camino in 2011. As to the telephone I do hope you know of Janis Joplin and "Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose" from Bobby Magee, it fits. I would not dream of taking a cellphone but then principally, I do not even own one. Age? True the forum gives the impression that many are older than you however, its only us greybeards who have the time to check in so often! Buen Camino/God veg!
Scruffy1

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Too young? We just took kids aged 6, 8, 10, 11, 13, 15, 16 and 17. Nope - 23 is not too young! And if something happens so that you can't go now, I'll tell you we also took an 80-year-old Grandpa, so you have plenty of life left to do this in!
Actually, I think one of the lovely things about the Camino is the intergenerational experience. This is something we make an effort to create in our community at home and we were pleasantly surprised to find it happening in Spain.

Walking without a phone is absolutely A-OK. There's a sense of freedom that comes with being "dis-connected" for a time. Grandpa and my husband both took phones, but we only used them on one day - the day I had to take a daughter with a broken arm to hospital and we did not know where we would meet at the end of the day.

Enjoy your wander.

Hello Nicco,

If you want a phone, but don't want people to bother you, take your SIM card out when you get to Spain and buy a Spanish SIM card. Only give your new number to those closest to you.

I walked my first Camino [at age 55] in 27 days. If you are fit and strong, 4 weeks won't be too tough for you. Just take it slow and easy the first week, build up distance on the flatter sections. I was able to over 40km some days on the meseta.

Almost 30% of people who have earned the Compostela this year so far are under 30 years.

Thanks a lot to all of you.
It really removed all of my doubts. I have decided to bring my cellphone, but to keep it closed and only use it for emergency.

About the amount of days I have to walk in, I decided to give it a go from SJPDP.
If a 80 year old man can do it, I'm sure it's possible for a 23 year old soldier too. I'm used to walk a lot carrying a lot of kilos.

I'm really looking forward to my journey and to meet a lot of people with the same mission and vision as me.

Really a pleasure to read all of your answers.

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Nchansen said:
Thanks a lot to all of you.
It really removed all of my doubts. I have decided to bring my cellphone, but to keep it closed and only use it for emergency.[...] Really a pleasure to read all of your answers.
Good decision! For any other matters concerning your Camino, this Forum has a wealth of information. Keywords in the search section are your guides!
Ultreya!

Re: Too early? NO! But in the heat of July and in the stampede?

Hello Nchansen.
I would say your camino should last minimum 32 days. The camino is no race track! You should be able to inhale the tranquility and the spirit of the Camino.
But in July and August when the heat is on its climax?
And the stampede of the pilgrims. Most Spaniards go in July and August because it is their summer holidays!
Look closely onto my statistic!
Especially the Tab: "monatliche Verteilung"
July and August is the peak season on the Camino.
Buen Camino
Jochen

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.