• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Too late planning?

ulamnto

Time of past OR future Camino
2016? (not sure!)
Hello everyone!

I was wondering if it is too late to start planning for a Camino in this July. I realised this would be the perfect time for me to do it now this summer as I have free time, money, good physical condition etc. (I can never be sure that I have so much free time or money in the future.)

I think I have enough time for organising the travels there and back, as well as reading the online resources, books, getting a map and the necessary gear (I already have the essential hiking gear so that is not a problem).
However, I'm not so sure if it's a good idea to start planning this late (and how detailed plans I should make) or to walk my first Camino in July-August if it's so crowded.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You could easily do one in July. Honestly it actually takes very little preparation, especially if you are already fit enough to walk it. You gotta kind of ignore the overkill that you read on this forum in regards to equipment and prep. Since you already have equipment for the walk, just get a guidebook, study it a little bit and arrange your dates and transportation and go do it. As they say, no time like the present....
cheers and ultreia

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello everyone!

I was wondering if it is too late to start planning for a Camino in this July. I realised this would be the perfect time for me to do it now this summer as I have free time, money, good physical condition etc. (I can never be sure that I have so much free time or money in the future.)

I think I have enough time for organising the travels there and back, as well as reading the online resources, books, getting a map and the necessary gear (I already have the essential hiking gear so that is not a problem).
However, I'm not so sure if it's a good idea to start planning this late (and how detailed plans I should make) or to walk my first Camino in July-August if it's so crowded.
I would say, come to France /Spain and start walking.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

Hello everyone!

You know there was a time when we just throw our stuff in a backpack and set off! We even took jeans and cotton t-shirts with us in those bad old times. Book a flight/your travel, decide on a camino, buy a guide, throw your things (less is better and no jeans/cotton!) and just start walking. This forum is a great resource to start exploring the different caminos available, have fun and Buen Camino, SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
... You gotta kind of ignore the overkill that you read on this forum in regards to equipment and prep ...

Absolutely. Put one foot in front of the other and walk. Don't overthink it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My first camino in April 2014 was planned in a little over a week after a fateful personal event. Before that I had no serious thoughts of a camino. It was one of the best decisions I ever made. You can do it. I was 60 at the time, that was no barrier.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
No need to think, plan, or otherwise complicate things.
Get your passport, a ticket, pack a few clothes and a toothbrush and off you go.
My first Camino I got a guidebook at the last minute and read it as I went along. Well, you could get one and read it on the plane if you wanted to prepare a little.
But you can't really prepare. Whatever you can possibly imagine, the Camino will be different from that.
Buen Camino--Just do it and see!;)

Yep. It's not that complicated. Most people OVER plan and over think things to help pass the time until their Camino departure date. And it can be fun to discuss and rediscuss all manner of gear but it certainly isn't absolutely necessary.

Wear comfortable shoes and pack light. Lay out everything you think you need and then put half of it in your pack and put the rest away. There are plenty of stores along the way if you decide you need anything.

Buen Camino. You'll be fine.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello everyone!

Hello, and welcome to the forum! :)

As others of said, no, of course it's not too late to jump in for this July! It seems like all your signs are pointing to it and calling you, "Come this way! Come this way!"

I've walked the Camino Francés four times. The first two times were in September-October. Then in 2012 and 2015 I walked in the last part of June and most of July. There was a heat wave each time, and in 2012 I promised myself I'd never walk another summer Camino, but last year I went back and did it again, and loved it! You might like to keep in mind that a summer Camino generally means getting up to start walking earlier in the day. On my first two autumn Caminos I remember hearing about summertime pilgrims getting up to start walking at 5am and thinking, "Those people are crazy, and that will never be me in this lifetime!" However, a few days of walking in June on my third Camino and I was very happy to join the 4:30am club! That to say, if you start walking at 5am, and plan to walk 25km, you'd likely be done by about 11am-12pm (depends on how many breaks you take for photos or food or bathroom trips, and how fast you walk).

Last year when I walked was a busy time (I started on June 28, in comparison with June 21 in 2012), with many pilgrims on their way to Santiago in time for the July 24-25 birthday celebration, but I still always found a bed at an albergue. The only place I booked in advance was for Santiago but that was because I arrived on July 23rd. (The municipal albergues in Arzua and Arca do Pino (O Pedrouzo) were full then, but that was to be expected so close to the 24th.)

Actually, something wonderful happened to me last year. I ended up in an "empty pocket". Around about July 13 there were lots of pilgrims picking up the pace to get to Santiago in time for July 24th. But there were also lots of pilgrims who continued at their same pace because they neither needed to or wanted to get to Santiago by the 24th. The stretches of Camino ahead of the slower pilgrims but behind the faster pilgrims seemed to create a void. It was beautiful. I had the Camino to myself for hours at a time, for days (especially as I decided last-minute to push for Santiago too, so I was speeding up). What a blessing! For example, the night I stayed in Reliegos there were only 7 or 8 of us in the entire municipal albergue. I'd stayed there twice before with many more pilgrims than that!

Next time I walk again in July I think I'll aim for that pocket again (and hope not too many other people have decided to do the same, haha).

I hope that helps a little. :) You're already on your way if you have your gear. And you've still got at least 5 weeks to play with for planning, even if you want to start at the beginning of July.

Buen Camino!

Rachel :)

P.S. Edited to add that I see you've booked flights! Hurray! I've gone by myself all four times and have always felt safe, except for two moments (once on my first Camino and once last year) when I scared myself. It was practice at, and an invitation to, being more aware of my surroundings and staying connected to my instinct and intuition. Ask to walk with others if you would like company. You'll meet dozens and dozens of people as you go. Do, yes, keep your valuables with you at all times, even when you go to shower. A friend I met on my 2011 Camino left his wallet and camera on his bed for the time it took him to go and pee, and unfortunately when he came back they were gone. Hard lesson for him to learn on his first Camino. Also, I only use bank machines on weekdays now, after getting stalled by a broken machine in Logroño on a Saturday morning. Thankfully the police helped me out in that situation, they were lovely and I got to sit in the exact same chair as Martin Sheen did in the movie "The Way"! (I was too distraught at the time to think about where I was sitting, but afterwards when I re-watched the movie I realised I'd been in the same seat.) And also be extra aware of your valuables on your way to the Camino, for example if you go via a busy hub like Madrid. But really, ultimately, all is well.

Last edited:
What specific aspect of personal safety on the Camino is it that worries you? For my first trip, I thought the Pyrenees were too hard and dangerous and isolated and scary. I was afraid that I would fall off a rocky cliff and nobody would ever find me, so my friend and I only walked from Leon to Santiago. I eventually learned that my fear was unwarranted. Everyone's worries about personal safety are different. Just wondering what it is that worries you.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello everyone!

Well fair play to you,Ulamnto, I am really jealous.
I cannot go again until next year(Portuguese,hopefully)
Oh, the freedom of it all!
Enjoy.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.