• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Too late to start preparing & weather in May?

The problem is that I would need to pay for laundry every day, or hand wash. Secondly, how will I dry the clothes? Do albergues have drying clothes hanging everywhere? Will someone try to hang their drying underwear on my bunk bed? :confused:
Yes, hand wash every day. Albergues have clothes lines to hang your clothes. Every few days you can get together with some other pilgrims to do a load of wash in a machine.

Check out my method for hand washing - or rather "dry bag washing" clothes. You may need a larger dry sack, as your clothing might be bulkier than mine. The dry bag can be used to store your sleeping gear - making it a double use item.

I've mentioned my method of using a dry bag as a "portable washing machine" before.

I use a 12 liter dry bag to wash my clothes in, rather than the albergue laundry sinks. As I'm undressing for my shower and the water is warming up I put half a laundry detergent sheet and water in the bag, then my clothes. Then I fill the bag about 3/4 full with water and close it up. I give it a few shakes and set it aside to soak while I shower and dress. I then shake the bag some more to agitate everything well before rinsing in the laundry sink. The detergent sheets don't create a lot of suds, but get the clothes clean. After wring them out well I roll them up in my towel and twist it. This method gets my clothes cleaner than using the laundry sinks alone in the albergues. I think that the long soaking time is the secret. I even use the dry bag to wash when I'm staying in a room with my own bathroom.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Thanks for all the great answers so far! One more questions: how many pairs of underwear and socks should I bring? I am thinking 4 pairs of each? My plan is to bring 3 t-shirts, 2 pairs of trousers that convert into shorts, and a pair of shorts. Then I will bring a woollen fleece and a convertible rain jacket (that packs into a tiny bag for storage). I plan to do laundry every 2 days or so. Wear one set whilst walking, then shower and change into the next days set and sleep in those clothes, then walk in them. Rinse repeat.

For socks I am thinking of buying 4 pairs of injinji socks. Will they last 800km?

@Hurrying ....don't change it in "Worrying!"
I was wondering or rather surprised why this thread is still active. After a couple of great advices to the beginning!

All you need for your Camino is already in you!!! Not more not less!

put your nose in the wind and experience your own Camino! :)

@Hurrying your ‘aving a giraffe aren’t you? Four pairs of Keks? That’s about a year’s worth. Matching trousers? Wots wrong with the ones you’re wearing? Do your self a favour. Imagine strolling from your place to somewhere just down the road but doing that for a few hours every day for a month.
And yes, remarkably, hand washed knickers can smell just as sweet…

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The problem is that I would need to pay for laundry every day, or hand wash. Secondly, how will I dry the clothes? Do albergues have drying clothes hanging everywhere? Will someone try to hang their drying underwear on my bunk bed? :confused:
My last Camino I had a washing line which consisted of two elastic ropes intertwined, no need for pegs. Last pre-covid break I used a wash bag to do my laundry

It's time to start laughing at/with yourself. You are off on a great adventure and maybe obsessing about the details is your way of coming to grips with your feelings of lack of control. The fact is, you will not have control of all the details. Some days, for a variety of uncontrollable reasons, you may have to walk in wet or dirty clothes. You will get used to it. Maybe you will have to make some changes along the way in how you are managing things. Maybe you will learn to live with and laugh at the little annoyances. Maybe you will discover the kindness of other pilgrims, who are willing to let you hang your drying underwear along their bed. Maybe you will even get used to your lack of control of the little things. Whatever, "Buen camino."

Daily hand washing is a must, imho. I suppose no cotton, so it will dry fast. If still wet in the next morning, bring some safety pins with you and attach wet items to the backpack.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, my feet were very sore after the one stage I did 2 years ago. I couldn't put any pressure on them the next day and hobbled to the bus stop for Pamplona.

I have a new pair of Merrell Moab 2 Ventilated, which are a new pair of the same type of shoes I used whilst hiking in Nepal 3 years ago. I will start wearing them every day to wear them in.

I switched from boots to trail runners and tried them by doing “practice” pilgrimage walk of 130 miles! What I have learned so far:

- it’s not just shoes/boots but both socks and shoes combination
- insoles are really great. I have never replaced the standard insoles that came with the shoes, and after 15 miles+ walking my soles were achy. There’s a company called curex that analyses your feet (the arch) and recommend how much arch support you’ll need. My feet are super flat and prone to plantar fasciitis. So since I have started using the correct insoles, they felt like walking on cotton fields…
- keep adjusting the laces! Tighten them up when going downhills, or loosen them up when the feet swell. Same with the backpack straps, they slowly loosen over time, mine did, prob cos I threw them from place to place! And then suddenly I felt I had extra pressure on my shoulder, why’s that? Oh the straps were loose!
- do squats and lunges to strengthen your leg muscles to avoid shin splints. (Lighter load will help too).

My biggest worries were plantar fasciitis and shin splints, I have modified my gear a few times, but I’m happy with my current set up now! And yes 2 months is enough time to get ready!

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Some have washers/dryers, some do not. Most all seem to have a place where you can hand wash and air-dry laundry. As far as washing goes, I've found that being flexible is necessary for me - I washed my clothes in the most convenient way available, sometimes taking the dirty clothing into the shower and 'hand washing' it there with hand soap.

Did you use a shampoo bar? I am going to pick up this one before I leave Australia, unless it is better to get one in SJPdP?
I usually carry something like this https://www.karkkainen.com/verkkokauppa/rexona-sport-250-ml-suihkusaippua-3767821382270435
Good for combined showering/laundry as suggested above.
Edit: my protocol is as follows: take a plastic bag like @trecile suggested, pour several liters of water and add a couple ml of detergent. Wash one item per time, socks go last. Finally rinse everything under shower and take care of yourself as well. You may want to check this out beforehand to find out how it works for you… Have a fun 🤓

Last edited:
Should I bring a pair of flip flops (thongs to us Australians) to wear once I arrive at the Albergues after a long day of walking? Or cut down on weight? Can I walk barefoot in the albergues?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I like the idea of washing and rinsing my clothes while in the shower, but . . .

My only concern, however, as I think about it, is the additional use of water. I think I would have to stick to washing my clothes in the little plastic wash basins available in most albergues, if only to save water. My clothes always came out clean enough and it was fairly fast.

Most albergues have clothes lines, although not all. I always brought a length of paracord for emergency uses. Most often, I used it to string up a clothes line when needed.

As a thank you to one fellow pilgrim family that helped me out one day while I was walking, I gifted them a one-euro set of small plastic clothespins. The clothespins weighed nothing but came in surprisingly handy. Now I take them (about a dozen) whenever I go camping. Lightweight, multi-use.

My only concern, however, as I think about it, is the additional use of water.
Well, it doesn’t appear to me that more water would be consumed…
Actually the main reason why I fancy the combined washing/showering is a little personal - I tend to sweat during the intensive washing job 😓 Therefore the sequence: take off dirty clothes-wash them-shower-put on fresh ones works better. Once you get a grip on this the whole thing takes about 10 min and doesn’t irritate the fellow pilgrims as well.

Should I bring a pair of flip flops (thongs to us Australians) to wear once I arrive at the Albergues after a long day of walking? Or cut down on weight? Can I walk barefoot in the albergues?
Flip flops or similar are pretty useful indeed

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I like the idea of washing and rinsing my clothes while in the shower, but . . .

My only concern, however, as I think about it, is the additional use of water. I think I would have to stick to washing my clothes in the little plastic wash basins available in most albergues, if only to save water. My clothes always came out clean enough and it was fairly fast.

My dry bag method of washing clothes works really well. Much easier than washing clothes in the laundry tubs.
Here's a previous post

I've mentioned my method of using a dry bag as a "portable washing machine" before. IMO definitely preferable to stomping on my clothes on the shower floor.

I use a 12 liter dry bag to wash my clothes in, rather than the albergue laundry sinks. As I'm undressing for my shower and the water is warming up I put half a laundry detergent sheet and water in the bag, then my clothes. Then I fill the bag about 3/4 full with water and close it up. I give it a few shakes and set it aside to soak while I shower and dress. I then shake the bag some more to agitate everything well before rinsing in the laundry sink. The detergent sheets don't create a lot of suds, but get the clothes clean. After wring them out well I roll them up in my towel and twist it. This method gets my clothes cleaner than using the laundry sinks alone in the albergues. I think that the long soaking time is the secret. I even use the dry bag to wash when I'm staying in a room with my own bathroom.

BTW, many albergues have signs saying NOT to wash your clothes in the shower.

The "dry bag" method is very similar to how I wash my clothes in the plastic basin.

I put my clothes in the small plastic tub usually provided by the albergues, with enough water to cover. I add laundry soap. I swish it around to mix. Then I let it sit for a full 2 minutes. Next, I "knead" my clothes in the soapy water for NO MORE than 2 minutes. If you are working up a sweat doing this, you NEED TO CHILL. This isn't life or death. But do it for the full 2 minutes.

Dump the dirty water, refill the basin with clean water, again just to cover. Swish again for 2 minutes, dump the water, then one more clean water rinse.

Done.

If you imagine that the tub is a substitute for the dry bag, I think we are pretty much on the same page.
I brought a waterproof bag to wash my clothes in my first Camino, after a few times the bag burst as I "kneaded" it, that was the end of that.

It makes one less thing I have to carry. I don't need to multi-task while I'm taking a shower. Showering and doing laundry become mental "down time" that prepare me for the end of my Camino day.

All this being said, PLEASE shower and wash your clothes every day!! Having met several pilgrims who clearly did not, trust me, it makes a difference!!! ;-)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back