Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Too lonely ?

Katia Taam

Time of past OR future Camino
Every year, since 2000. Most times portuguese camino also twice the french camiño. Two time Le Puy .
I intend to beging my camino at october 25. Will it be too lonely ?
Thanks
Katia

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
We might need more information to give you an answer. Where will you begin walking? The pilgrim numbers are much lower by the end of October. You might find yourself alone along the trail, but there will always be several other pilgrims in the albergues.

I am sure there will still be people on the zprimitivo, regardless of where you would start walking it, which I assume is Oviedo.

I walked in May of 2016 and walked alone all day, seldom being passed by others, or seeing anyone is cafes. But there was always a number of us in the albergues at night. In Berducedo finding a bed was actually an issue for those who came in late afternoon as you have people from the Hospitales and Pola routes coming in together.

Stats from the Pilgrim Office, look at the last paragraph:
https://oficinadelperegrino.com/estadisticas/

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We might need more information to give you an answer. Where will you begin walking? The pilgrim numbers are much lower by the end of October. You might find yourself alone along the trail, but there will always be several other pilgrims in the albergues.

I'll begin in Olviedo.

Too lonely? I think that is impossible for anyone else to answer. As others have said you can expect company in albergues at night but may otherwise walk alone most of the time. Only you can judge how much company you need for comfort. Last year I walked for 17 days in Sweden and Norway and met a total of 3 other walkers. I was almost always alone. I was never lonely. Solitude and loneliness are very different things.

Thanks everyone.
Maybe I'll go for the french camino this time. It will be a long walk since Le Puy and perhaps the primitivo it is too much at this point. The french is an old friend already and I confess I'm a little scared of the promitivo.
Thanks for your answers
Katia

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is nothing to be afraid about when it comes to the Primitivo, but it will always be there for you to go back to, perhaps in conjunction with the Norte. Many walk the Norte until Gigon and then head for the Primitivo, so you would be sure to have some company.

Weather might also play a part if winter comes early. You would be walking in November partly, with dark mornings and evenings. Snow is not likely but there could be some that early in the year on high ground, but that is true of the Frances too over O Cebreiro. IMO the Primitivo is best walked between May and October, although people do start earlier and finish later without any problems. I would check gronze for the opening/closing dates of the albergues to be sure if daily distances and bed availability.
Lonely? it just depends and the Primitivo is getting more popular at all times of the year.

Buen Camino

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back