• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Too many "tourist" days?

GreatDane

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF to Burgos Sept/Oct 2014, Burgos to Astorga April 2016, Astorga to SdC 2017
I've built in a few tourist days into my itinerary so I can take a better look at Pamplona, Burgos and Madrid. But can't really judge if I have put too many in!!!! I like visiting churches and art/cultural/natural history museums and taking a lot of photos.

I had planned on one full day in Pamplona (reservation made, so arriving afternoon day 1 plus stay until early afternoon of the next day and walk to Cizur Menor and try to find lodging Sept 18). Is this too much time in Pamplona?

I had planned on 2 nights (I have hotel reservations made) in Burgos, so arriving again the afternoon of the first day, one full day of sightseeing the next day and leave the following morning. Too much time?

I had planned on 3 nights in Madrid (reservations made in hostels and an airport hotel the final night) so arriving the first afternoon, then 2 full days to play tourist and fly out early the last day. Too much time?

I keep thinking if I just spend part of a day in each place instead, I could instead keep walking west on the Meseta and then find a way back to Madrid on my second to the last day in Spain.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ola - if you can, why not arrive first at each place and then decide? (except for the Madrid bit ... it's good to have 'buffer' days between the camino and 'coming home')
the not deciding now will allow you for more flexibility. get a feel for the place, see how you like it, and then decide.
For e.g. I had intended to stay extra days in Coimbra - but it turned out to be only one night because there was a huge and loud festival going on and i did not fancy that, so i moved on.
In Porto i had planned to stay 3 days - but after two nights i got 'itchy feet' and was eager to keep walking. So we left after 2 nights and i was happy i did.
Ponte de Lima i had fancied as a 2-nighter ... but it rained severely and i was not in the mood in staying in any place, even such a pretty one, with such rain.
Again, be daring and not plan ahead for such matters - and allow yourself to arrive first and then decide.... you might like it :)
Bom Caminho!

Me, I tore through Pamplona, stopped for a tinto and kept on going. Nothing against the city - I was in walking mode. Burgos. I spent most of one whole day in the Museum of Human Evolution where, amongst other fabulous stuff, are the exhibits related to the finds from Atapuerca: One million year old humanity and I spent a delightful evening on a tapas-crawl. Madrid, diaries suggest I must have spent thirty nights there by now and I keep going back.

@amorfati1 correctly warns on over planning but I would always seek to spend some time in any of those places, Pamplona is on my returns list.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Me, I tore through Pamplona, stopped for a tinto and kept on going. Nothing against the city - I was in walking mode. Burgos. I spent most of one whole day in the Museum of Human Evolution where, amongst other fabulous stuff, are the exhibits related to the finds from Atapuerca: One million year old humanity and I spent a delightful evening on a tapas-crawl. Madrid, diaries suggest I must have spent thirty nights there by now and I keep going back.

@amorfati1 correctly warns on over planning but I would always seek to spend some time in any of those places, Pamplona is on my returns list.
Thanks Tincatinker!!! I plan on the whole Atapuerca thing, it's been on my to do list for the past 18 months. Pamplona wise I figured would be fast, just couldn't figure out if I need an afternoon plus the next morning there. I do tend to overplan but then back off. I have no good gauge on how long it will take me to walk! My training here is on rolling hills, nothing challenging.

Extra days in cities may be good or not; it depends on what are you looking for. As for me, I could have spent more days in Burgos or León. But I just take notes about places that I'd visit later, in a more "tourist" mode, and go on. I guess that I am a single minded person: when I walk, I walk. But that's me.
Madrid is a fascinating city, a whole week may not be enough to visit it. And one day trips to Toledo, and Avila, and Segovia are possible and advisable.
As for your last comment, note that some out of the way, little villages in Meseta (for instance, Hornillos or Hontanas) have not many bus options; you will have to plan in advance or risk being left stranded.

As for your last comment, note that some out of the way, little villages in Meseta (for instance, Hornillos or Hontanas) have not many bus options; you will have to plan in advance or risk being left stranded.
I have in front of me the RENFE schedule and map showing which Meseta towns have train service back to Madrid. Looking for the same good type info readily available for buses. :cool:

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Big bus companies, like ALSA, go mostly along highways (see Google Maps). Villages are serviced by little, local (and fast disappearing) bus companies. So, you need at least an approx estimation on where you will be. Rule of thumb: don't look for a connection from, let's say, Hornillos to Madrid, but from x village to nearer city (or RENFE station).

Last edited:
I have planned or sort-of-planned my days on my walk/camino/pilgrimage to have, every five to six days, a "rest day".
These days are not meant to be days of deep reflective introspection or cultural self-edification.
I know most of the history and the architecture and what I don't know about that can go stuff.
No, these are days of rest, recovery and discovery.
For what I don't know are the people (and I am not just talking locals but also all my fellow travellers) and their take on where they are now and how they view their world in 2014/15.
And that, with sufficient language proficiency, I hope to find out after a second or third bottle of wine!
We're all multi-lingual after that.
Cheers!

Last edited:
I think you'll know what's best at the time. If you're walking well or are part of a nice group of people staying a couple of nights could feel like an interruption, especially if the others are walking on. Other times it might feel right to delve into something or somewhere in more depth. One day you might simply not want to walk. (How many of us wake up each morning for a month just dying to walk 25kms whatever the weather?) Just follow your instinct and interests, I'd say.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think you'll know what's best at the time. If you're walking well or are part of a nice group of people staying a couple of nights could feel like an interruption, especially if the others are walking on. Other times it might feel right to delve into something or somewhere in more depth. One day you might simply not want to walk. (How many of us wake up each morning for a month just dying to walk 25kms whatever the weather?) Just follow your instinct and interests, I'd say.

That's mostly what I was going to say...don't reserve ahead, decide once you are there. I know that you can spend two nights at the Convent in Leon, the Seminaire Menor in Santiago, and the municipal albergue in Burgos, which means you don't have to spend big bucks on a hotel. Also, it might depend on the group you are walking with - it's fun to explore the cities with your friends and you all might want to stop together for two nights. Another thing that worked for us, was to make it a very short day and explore the attractions together. We walked only 10k into Samos and had from mid-morning on to leisurely explore the monastery and walk about, which made a very nice rest day.

My first Camino, I planned a lot. My pack was "over planned and overweight". My itinerary was fixed in concrete, reservations at key big cities (Burgos, Leon, etc) being the stud that I was, I knew how to remain on task. I was badly injured at Alto de Pedron and quickly scrambled for crutches, Naprosyn and a bus/train schedule.
My second Camino (CP), I planned a week in the Algarve preceding my kick off in Oporto...two days on the beach and the Camino called...I left the next morning. My pack was a lot lighter by 3 lbs. I was never hurt, no blisters even.
My third Camino (CI), I departed on short notice, the fare was obscenely low...then SpanAir went under but I moved quickly and was in Ferrol within a short while. My pack was now well under 20 lbs, I had no itinerary but arrive in SdC safe.
Stopping when the spirit moves you is a wonderful thing. Stopping when the spirit is strong, but the body is weak...is all you need to make your Camino all the Way.
Arn

My first Camino, I planned a lot. My pack was "over planned and overweight". My itinerary was fixed in concrete, reservations at key big cities (Burgos, Leon, etc) being the stud that I was, I knew how to remain on task........
Stopping when the spirit moves you is a wonderful thing. Stopping when the spirit is strong, but the body is weak...is all you need to make your Camino all the Way.
Arn
U
I totally agree with Arn's comment. You could spend your life in Paris, London or Burgos and never know their histories. How long does it take to tour a cathedral, several hours at the least unless you are a student of architecture like me and you are looking for the inspiration for the next cathedral commission you might garner.
Live for the day on the Camino, Carpe Diem!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had a day off every three to four days. But took it just when I needed it (exhausted - just lie down - all day) or when I found lovely places to explore (Santillana del Mar/Altimira cave...) I think it depends on what type of person you are, whether you pre-plan or just fly by the seat of your pants!

If you have the time there are never too many tourist days, sidetrips, walkabouts, call them whatever you want. If pressed make some of them half-tourist days or stop to see something mindboggling for an hour or too and then walk on-for example Vilar de Donas just before Palas del Rei, Samos just after Sarria, the Romanesque capitals in San Martin church Fromista, San Isodoro in Leon, Monasterio de Las Huelgas in Burgos, Monasterio Santa Maria de la Real in Najera, Santo Sepulchro in Estella, will get you started. Far too many you say? Ah, then you will just have to come back and do it again!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Do not miss the Santa Maria de Eunate church which is the purest perfection, located at the western end of the Camino Argonese near (2k ) where it joins the Camino Frances at Puente La Reina. This small circular church within an octagonal cloister was built by unknown craftsmen one thousand years ago. Nestled in an natural bowl the ocher stones blend with rolling nearby fields now planted with corn and fennel. Here one senses the eternal peace of paradise. Unfortunately now the albergue is permanently closed but the church is open everyday but Monday.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Ola - if you can, why not arrive first at each place and then decide? (except for the Madrid bit ... it's good to have 'buffer' days between the camino and 'coming home'!
I totale agree. The fact is that once you are on the way, so many different circumstances can arise, that frankly, it's not always possible, nor acceptable to arrive and stay where you first planned.
On our first Camino, we also thought to stay one day extra in Burgos and Leon, but once there, we just hurried through, to be able to get out into the countryside again. At the best, I would recommend that you book an extra day only once you have arrived in that given place. You are also walking after mid- September, meaning that you are walking into low season. There will not be a rush for a hotel room in the towns you mention that point of the year.
My husband ( fraluchi on the Forum) loves to plan, but never have things ever worked out to his intended programme! Take it easy, from day to day.....and enjoy! Buen Camino! Anne

Too many? Isn't that up to you? If I had a couple months to walk the Camino, I would spend a few days in each of the cities just exploring them, learning about their culture, visiting their museums, trying out different restaurants, going to mass in each church. I would love to play the tourist in each one. I took an entire day for Pamplona. Of course I did the running of the bulls and San Fermin Festival, because that's what was there at the time I went through. However, if that wasn't going on, I could see myself spending part of the day at Cafe Iruna, going to mass at Santa Maria Cathedral, visiting the Museum of Navarre, touring the Citadel, and just walking around the historic quarter. That would eat up a day pretty easily.

I thought about extra tourist days as well however I had made such strong connections with those within my Camino family that I didn't want to leave the group.

I compensated by staying at a hotel in Logrono and Leon plus I rented an apartment in Santiago de Compestela for a week to host a Camino party and a chance to recharge my batteries. What a wonderful time you will have. Have a great time.
I've built in a few tourist days into my itinerary so I can take a better look at Pamplona, Burgos and Madrid. But can't really judge if I have put too many in!!!! I like visiting churches and art/cultural/natural history museums and taking a lot of photos.

I had planned on one full day in Pamplona (reservation made, so arriving afternoon day 1 plus stay until early afternoon of the next day and walk to Cizur Menor and try to find lodging Sept 18). Is this too much time in Pamplona?

I had planned on 2 nights (I have hotel reservations made) in Burgos, so arriving again the afternoon of the first day, one full day of sightseeing the next day and leave the following morning. Too much time?

I had planned on 3 nights in Madrid (reservations made in hostels and an airport hotel the final night) so arriving the first afternoon, then 2 full days to play tourist and fly out early the last day. Too much time?

I keep thinking if I just spend part of a day in each place instead, I could instead keep walking west on the Meseta and then find a way back to Madrid on my second to the last day in Spain.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The problem with 'Tourist Stops' is that that one makes friends and they move on and leave you behind.
I have known groups(pilgrims that have got to know one another on the way) that have all agreed to hire a villa with pool to rest for a few days.
I say , stop at Pamplona by all means and then plan your other stops with the friends you make along the way.

Lots of good advice above.

You don't have to spend your last night in Madrid at an Airport Hotel unless you really want too. If you don't want to try taking the Metro, taxis are plentiful. Your hotel will arrange for one to pick you up, even for early flights. I had a taxi waiting for me outside my hotel at 6:00 am. No problem.

It really is good to have some spare days. Stay flexible - some of the best times we've had were totally unplanned and unexpected - finding ourselves in the midst of a local fiesta, participants in a boules competition (France), as guests at a wedding in a tiny village, picking walnuts with a farmer, a choral performance - and it is good to be able to stop and appreciate the beautiful architecture and art along the way. Some people are focused on eating up kilometres and reaching Santiago, and I understand that (particularly the first time), but I like to suck the marrow out of the experience.

Pamplona can easily take up a full day. If you're not there on a Monday, see the Museu Navarra. Be sure to walk the city walls and see the beautiful park where many animals are kept. I think it's La Ciudadela.

Burgos - I spent HOURS in the Cathedral - not to be missed. And then the next day you can go early to the Archaeological Museum and take a ride out to Atapuerca to the dig site where the oldest human remains in Western Europe have been found. Two days easy.

Madrid - LOTS to see in Madrid. The Prado. The Sofia Reina. The HUGE "El Rastro" is held from 9am to 3pm in the historic centre of Madrid every Sunday and worth seeing. Great place to buy beautiful fans for under 3 euros - the same ones you pay 12 euros for in the tourist stores. Lots of other cool stuff. GREAT restaurants. One of the best East Indian and one of the best Thai restaurants I've found. GREAT shoe shopping. There is an entire area devoted to Spanish made shoes.

I think your schedule is fine.
But like others say, you could just play it by ear :)

Lots of good advice above.

You don't have to spend your last night in Madrid at an Airport Hotel unless you really want too. If you don't want to try taking the Metro, taxis are plentiful. Your hotel will arrange for one to pick you up, even for early flights. I had a taxi waiting for me outside my hotel at 6:00 am. No problem.
We always stay at Hostal Vicky in Barajas. By that, I mean Barajas village and not where all the big hotels are, where basically there's nothing to do, but hang out at the hotel. The village of Barajas consists of a large square, surrounded by an arched walkway, where there are several restaurants, plus all the things that generally make up a small town. You can actually walk to the airport ( we did it once just out of curiosity, but not to check in). The hostel does a shuttle in either direction, which takes between 10 and 20 minutes, depending on which terminal you will be using. Anne

It's funny, I planned on taking layover days but when I was on the Camino this summer I found that the last thing I wanted to do was separate from my "Camino Family". In fact, I did one layover day in Boadilla (at an amazing albergue called "En El Camino"; see pics below) to wait for an injured friend but felt completely out of my element with the new wave of pilgrims that came in the next night so ended up walking two stages a few days later to catch up with my crew.

Whatever you end up doing, I am certain it will be wonderful!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We always stay at Hostal Vicky in Barajas....The hostel does a shuttle in either direction, which takes between 10 and 20 minutes, depending on which terminal you will be using. Anne
Thanks for the suggestion Anne, I have now booked Hostel Vicky for my last evening!

......be daring and not plan ahead for such matters - and allow yourself to arrive first and then decide.... you might like it :)
Bom Caminho!
If you are not too restricted by the 'time factor' which - unfortunately (and understandably) can be a major element of many Camino pilgrims - then adopting this concept of going with the flow could not only solve your problem about how many days to spend where, but also enable you to live in the moment when ever you find it.
Suzanne. :)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.