• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Too much water

LVDWD

Time of past OR future Camino
Got lots of wisdom from this forum so thought I would take the time to pass this on. Know that most on this forum take the issue of drinking lots of water to stay hydrated seriously.

Seems that you can drink to much. See article below in the New York Times. Note especially the item re dying during marathons due to running slowly over long period of time and overdrinking (if you run fast you have less time to drink, plus it more difficult at speed). Going slowly and over a long period does sound like walking the Camino.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/...on&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0

Also see this
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/...on&region=bottom-well&WT.nav=bottom-well&_r=0

Know its changed my thinking a bit.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Got lots of wisdom from this forum so thought I would take the time to pass this on. Know that most on this forum take the issue of drinking lots of water to stay hydrated seriously.

Seems that you can drink to much. See article below in the New York Times. Note especially the item re dying during marathons due to running slowly over long period of time and overdrinking (if you run fast you have less time to drink, plus it more difficult at speed). Going slowly and over a long period does sound like walking the Camino.

Also see this

Know its changed my thinking a bit.
i've shared this article (also NYT) with many friends yesterday, on the same topic

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/25/upshot/no-you-do-not-have-to-drink-8-glasses-of-water-a-day.html

every body-type has different requirements - the cookie-cutter approach of 'one size fits all' does hardly ever work, and certainly not regarding nutrition/liquid intake, etc

Remember, there is drinking a lot of water to replace what you sweat out walking. Then again, there is hyper-hydration, as mentioned in the article. The latter dilutes your blood salts and can cause unhealthy results, including heart failure.

Consider that EVERYTHING you eat in a cafe, albergue, or restaurant likely has extra salt added to it. IMHO, this compensates for the basic salts you sweated out earlier that day.

If this makes you leery about not drinking enough water, consider heat stroke as the alternative. That is far more likely than blood salt depletion and results in unpleasant side effects like fainting.

This past April I took three "dirt naps" while walking from Porto to Santiago. This was most embarrassing. I GIVE advice to pilgrims. Unfortunately, the weather was such that I did not feel dehydrated, until I realized I was face down and could not remember how I got there. The first two times, I ended up on my hands and knees, then on my side. The third time, I felt the "lights dim" and put my arm out to break the coming fall. I damaged an expensive pair of prescription eyeglasses, but had spares.

After returning to my home, a very thorough cardiac evaluation including a bunch of unpleasant tests, ruled out any cardiac impairment or malfunction. In fact, the doctors had several tests repeated because I had zero plaque in any of my arteries, most unusual for a 62 year old heavy set American man. The official medical diagnosis was stupidity and hubris...really, it was! My primary care physician and I are friends. We've known each other for nearly 30 years.

If you want to err on the side of caution, consider adding a bottle of Aquarius sports drink to your water consumption daily. It is the European equivalent to Gatorade. You can find it in any supermercado along the Camino.

Personally, I carry individual tubes of Pedialyte for emergency use. This is the rehydration powder or ready made solution parents give to their children who have diarrhea. I buy it in the baby care section of my local supermarket. In Europe, you might have to ask at a pharmacy. I double the dose in a .5 liter bottle for adult use. It is not the best tasting stuff. But it does beat dehydration. I simply failed to receive the symptoms this past April...my bad.

I hope this helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In response to @t2andreo's comments, I also want to warn of dehydration. Some common indicators of dehydration are infrequent urination, dark urine, and constipation. If you notice any of these symptoms, of course you should drink more water. But as he says, don't overdo the plain water. You do get plenty of salt in the typical pilgrim diet (French fries, anyone?), but you need more than just salt. You can add supplements as he suggests, and you can eat bananas for the phosphorous, or you can drink Powerade, which unlike Gatorade, is commonly available in tiendas along the Camino, as well as oftentimes in the snack trucks that pop up here and there.

The Mayo Clinic:

To ward off dehydration and make sure your body has the fluids it needs, make water your beverage of choice. It's also a good idea to:
  • Drink a glass of water or other calorie-free or low-calorie beverage with each meal and between each meal
  • Drink water before, during and after exercise
Although uncommon, it is possible to drink too much water. When your kidneys are unable to excrete the excess water, the electrolyte (mineral) content of the blood is diluted, resulting in low sodium levels in the blood, a condition called hyponatremia. Endurance athletes, such as marathon runners who drink large amounts of water, are at higher risk of hyponatremia. In general, though, drinking too much water is rare in healthy adults who eat an average American diet.

I don't think you need to worry about drinking too much water on the Camino.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
This past April I took three "dirt naps" while walking from Porto to Santiago. This was most embarrassing. I GIVE advice to pilgrims. Unfortunately, the weather was such that I did not feel dehydrated, until I realized I was face down and could not remember how I got there

The thing about dehydration is that your body starts getting dehydrated before you actually feel any symptoms; thus, if you are walking on a hot day, it's a good idea to drink water regularly even if you don't feel thirsty...

...But that doesn't mean that you have to drink 8 glasses or whatever, of course.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Here's what I think.
Each person should drink as much or as little as THEIR body needs.
Personally, I rarely drink more than two 8 oz bottles in 28 kilometers, if it's not blazing hot.
If it's cold, one 8 oz bottle might do me.
Trying to drink more will make me vomit.

So drink what you need; there's no one rule fits all.

I think for most people, there is far greater danger in dehydration rather than over-hydration. The first few days on the Camino, be sure to have plenty of water with you the first few days until you know how much you really need. Even though the guidebook says there is a fountain 3km away, those will be the most miserable 3 kilometers of your life if you're dying for a drink!

The best thing about water is that if you are carrying too much, just dump some out!

You probably don't need to worry too much about electrolytes. Eat your regular, balanced meals and you should be okay. Keep some snacks with you like peanuts and fruit and have some when you take a break.

Also, not to get graphic, but keep an eye on your urine. There are color charts you can look up to see how hydrated you are.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The general rule for aerobic sports (like when cycling in the heat or hiking up a mountain) is to drink 16oz per hour. Slightly less for non-aerobic sports like walking, especially if you're hardly breaking a sweat. If you're sweating a lot, add gatorade or simply eat an energy bar (to get protein, carbs, and electrolytes).

"Pee clear" -- if not, you're dehydrated and need to drink more. To the people who only drink two 8oz for the whole day-- they're dehydrated! -- unless you're drinking a lot at breakfast and lunch and snacks and not reporting that :)

Note that when you feel thirsty, you are ALREADY dehydrated. The woozy feeling when you are really dehydrated or lacking electrolytes feels awful, totally low on energy.

One rule of thumb that I clearly forgot in April was that "if you are doing something exerting like hiking with a rucksack, and you do not need to "make" water (i.e. pee) at regular intervals, you are not drinking enough water..." Your body will take the liquid it needs, along with the blood salts from your muscles, then your organs. Fainting is part of that continuum as the body starts to draw fluid from the organs and your blood pressure drops.

So, practically speaking, the advice to front load each days walking with a liter or more water is very good and I endorse that recommendation. Also, the recommendation to consume at least 16 oz (.5 liter) every hour, whether or not you feel thirsty, is also a very good idea.

After my third, "dirt nap" I finally got the hint that I was doing something wrong and started forcing the .5 liter each hour. It made a huge difference in my energy level.

I hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You don't have to buy rehydration salts - you can make your own on the way.

Had a French pilgrim (mid 50's and fit) collapse after walking from Astorga to Rabanal in July 2002. Had all the classic symptoms of shock: pale, clammy skin, faint pulse etc. When quizzed on what he had drunk that day his friends said two black coffees . . . We made him drink a bit over a litre of the WHO recipe for rehydration (to each litre of water add 1 tablespoon of suger and one teaspoon of salt - we threw in some OJ for taste) and inside an hour he was tucking into a huge meal - see, he said, I just needed some food inside me!

As an aside does ANYBODY know where the mythical 8 glasses of water a day came from? An ex-army PI/Survival Instructor friend says it emerged from a study sponsored by DANONE the company that sells you Evian (that's naive spelt backwards).

As somebody suggested further up this thread - drink when you're thirsty and keep an eye on the colour of your urine.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Note that when you feel thirsty, you are ALREADY dehydrated.

Hi, Jaime, I think that the research has shown that it is not the case that if you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated. If you are thirsty, that's your body's way of telling you that you should drink, not your body's way of telling you that the end is near.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/27/dehydration-myths_n_3498380.html

I have endured all sorts of criticisms from people telling me I don't drink enough water, so I am very pleased to see that the research is confirming what annie and others have common-sensically said, which is that your body will tell you if you should be drinking more!

I guess every thing in moderation right? only drink enough to see you pee clear/straw color and adjust accordingly, always I mean always add a pinch of salt to water before drinking it increases absorption, in the heat you lose about about 1/2 to quart of water/electrolytes per hour, your body can only absorb about a 1/2 to quart of water per hour so do the math, i.e. if are peeing every 10 min it maybe a sign that you drinking too much :) when in doubt drink water.

Zzotte

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.