• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Too old?

I walked my last Camino in 2013. I carried a minimalist pack, less than 4 kilos. Now like many pillgrams, I long to return. I'm 74 years old, in pretty good shape, but wonder if it's just a day dream. I speak reasonable Spanish, and can mime my way with Italian and Portuguese. Looking at the ways in Portugal and Italy, but like just about everybody, don't like tarmac which seems from my readings, more prevalent on those caminos. Any advice most welcome.
Well young man it should be no problem for you. Well if your like me it’ll be a challenge but very doable.
I waked my first Camino from Le Puy in 2010 at the age of 70. Now 8 years later I’ve walked 12 Camino’s plus numerous others, some more than once like Via Francigena and the European Peace Walk
My health; Arthritis in my neck and wrists, Degenerative Disk Disease, Peripheral Neuropathy, I’m a cancer survivor, and I’m in perfect health for walking.
Go for it
DonalC3CD3CDD-0740-419E-9C85-B15CED34EF1F.jpeg

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked my last Camino in 2013. I carried a minimalist pack, less than 4 kilos. Now like many pillgrams, I long to return. I'm 74 years old, in pretty good shape, but wonder if it's just a day dream. I speak reasonable Spanish, and can mime my way with Italian and Portuguese. Looking at the ways in Portugal and Italy, but like just about everybody, don't like tarmac which seems from my readings, more prevalent on those caminos. Any advice most welcome.

Wow! Lot's of input on this. I just had to comment also. If you feel good and fit, go for it. Just plan you days to limit how for you walk. I did my first Camino last year from Porto to Santiago. I was 75 and my walking partner celebrated his 87th birthday while on our pilgrimage. That's right 87! This past May I walked the Via Francigena from San Gimignano to Rome with three others. One celebrated his 80th birthday last month, one was 73 and my son joined us at 53.
My only regret is that I waited until I was 75 to do my first.
God bless.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

I think if you have the will and can put one leg after the other , you should make the most of every opportunity and go. I have met many people over 80 along the Way , who fortunately have been blessed with good health and are making the most of it . Last year on the VDLP we met a 79 year old lady from Vienna ... walking slowly each day with her little backpack ...... 1,000 km. I said to her that I thought she is a wonderful inspiration and example to her children and grandchildren .

I am always inspired by thesse older folk . On my first Camino I encountered my first over 80's gent and immediately thought to myself .. "I hope I can be doing that when I am that age"

If you can..... just do it. It doesnt matter if you have to take the odd bus / train or taxi on longer days ... You are still out there .

Buen Camino

Hi Konnie, I'm planning to be walking into my 80's. I'm 68 and starting my fourth Camino next month, four since March 2018, 16 all up since 2012. Don't stop dreaming but make sure you follow it up. God bless and go for it.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I walked on the Via de la Plata with a fellow in his 80s who had walked from Gibraltar, carried his own pack, and was way faster than me. While we walk we live...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello, I’m 82 yo, and in training to walk my first half Camino. My younger wilfe and I will be trekking alomg with our 30 year-younger niece and nephew. Looking forward to a grand pilgrimage. Wish us good health and perseverance. Don
Bravo...go for it!!

Just wanted to say that all these responses are so life-affirming. I want to walk the primitivo next year. I will be 76 then and, of course, crazy, dramatic thoughts go through my head. The most operatic of all is: “what if you die?” “What if you just fall down and never get up?”....and then I think: “so what?”. That’s it’s all ok and that I must, must, must do this. My spirit yearns for it, for the path ahead, for the unknown, for the inner and outer discovery. So I think I will! Bravo to all you brave and hearty people. Don’t give up.

Dear Konnie
I too am a septuagenarian walker, and I endose most of the above. But I am also interested in what you have - or have not! - in your 4kg knapsack? Do you also use Jacobtrans or a similar service? I thought I was quite clever in getting my pack down to 9kg, but 4kg is very impressive. Could you kindly share your packing list with us?
My regards
Peter

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I hope this will help with my grieving over husband if 57 years who died in February

@Aishlyn , my wife got her not so good news in early 2012. A few weeks later she suggested I should "do that walk in Spain" that I had first heard of shortly after we first met.

She passed late 2014. The next year was tidy up time, with neighbours wondering when I was going. But I took off in 2016 and, literally, havn't looked back, or so my friends tell me.

In your planning and training, of both mind and body, I strongly suggest you include:
regularly achieving 15 km (10 miles) before stopping for breakfast; and
regularly achieving elevation gain of 400 m (1,200 feet) before stopping ... .

So, @Aishlyn , kia kaha (you take care, be strong, get going).

Age is not so important, the main thing is to keep wanting to do new things and to retain a sense of curiosity and adventure as we age. Konnie, and all the other 70+ walkers (like me) I have met on my own long walks seem to have those qualities in spades.

We might have to carry lighter loads and walk shorter stages as we age - or do walks with baggage transfers like I have done. I felt a bit of a fraud sashaying along with only a day pack, but I don't think it is a serious moral failing.

Your body can do anything when you are young and healthy, but not necessarily as we age. However, there is probably a greater sense of accomplishment in doing 'difficult' things as we age and have to overcome bodily limitations. We have a lifetime of experiences behind us and can see things in a better, more meaningful perspective.

I walked the Camino when I was over 60. Since then I have walked thousands of kilometres across Europe. In many respects they have been the most meaningful and significant experiences of my life. If I had not done that first difficult walk from SJPDP to Santiago, I would have missed all that. What a loss that would have been!

Go for it!

Bob M

Last fall my daughters and I walked off and on for 3 days with a nice gentleman from Whales who was 84 and planning a 30 day camino....he made it ;-) Go for it - be kind with yourself and rest and skip where needed. Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Just made two first booking for the start of our Camino one SJPDP and Roncesvalles and wow prices are all levels but the base is starting for two around 120euro (175 Cdn) for two beds and some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back