• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Top 2 rest days places

montenegrodr

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2023 (April)
Hi, I am starting the Frances next Friday (14/04) and I plan to walk for 26 days + 2 rest days. As you see, it is a tight schedule so I was wondering what are the top 2 places would you recommend to stay over on those days off. Of course, if I got the chance to choose as I'll probably use those rest days whenever my body askes for it.

Cheers

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi, I am starting the Frances next Friday (14/04) and I plan to walk for 26 days + 2 rest days. As you see, it is a tight schedule so I was wondering what are the top 2 places would you recommend to stay over on those days off. Of course, if I got the chance to choose as my I'll probably use those rest days whenever my body askes for it.

Cheers
there's an albergue in el Acebo(literally at the end of the town) that is magnificent. You'll be putting on some KM's each day at that pace. I hiked it from Astorga and enjoyed staying at the place (although reactions are mixed...some have criticized my choice) as the room I stayed was comfortable, the pilgrim meal was excellent, and they had a pool. I always said that on my next Camino, I'd either stay a full day there or wake up leisurely and then do a short hike to Ponferrada from el Acebo. (I kind of liked to keep moving and especially enjoyed my afternoons on the Camino when I felt like I had the trail all to myself)

el Acebo was the only place on the Camino that elicited this type of reaction/thought from me, fwiw. The views in the evening towards the West were amazing (I hiked it in July 2017)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
With the speed you plan on going I'm not going to recommend a city as you won't rest, you'll still be walking or on your feet doing sightseeing. Sahagún may be what you need. It's a town with things to see but they aren't spectacular so you need not feel bad if you rather spend your time checking out the food and drink at the plaza mayor. At the tourist center you can get what is called the "halfway" certificate. Yes it is about halfway along the Camino Francés.

Edit: @J Willhaus' suggestion of Santo Domingo and Molinaseca appeals to me for much the same reason I suggested Sahagún.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I had a great rest day in Portomarin. I had a bacon and egg breakfast at O Mirador and then went to explore the old ruins under the bridge. Then I ate paella at the cafe/bar right across the street (perpendicular?) from the church and played games. It was amazing paella. Then in the evening I sat in the window listening to the church “sing”, they play hymnal music at like 6pm and it sounds like a choir in the middle of town. It was beautiful. My other rest day was in Burgos.

I like rest days in small towns where I will actually rest and not walk too much.

Maybe Santo Domingo and Molinaseca?
We set aside five rest days, but we did them in the bigger cities and we ended up walking as much on those days. We finally admitted they were tourist days, not rest days. On our next walk we will make the distinction between rest and tourist days.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Better to wait and see. I caught 2 bad colds last Spring on the CF and spent an extra day alone to recover both times.

I am one that did not enjoy the place in El Acebo. The pool was not open, the food was just ok, and we were in a dorm room with beds you cannot sit up in. A room that had zero space for packs, the sheets were not clean, and the womens restroom was a hike up and down stairs to a different part of the hotel. If you are a man, then not a problem. You get a toilet right by your rooms!
Yes, the sunset was magnificent, but that is all that sells me on this place.

It really depends on your likes/dislikes. Some people prefer to stay in small secluded villages - and I might find that bores me to tears. Some like busy cities. Some like a mixture of both.

I would say the most popular rest days on the Frances are probably Burgos/Leon (could be wrong - that is the impression I got). Burgos/Leon are two big cities with lots to do and are well enough spaced out from each other. That is where I took my 2 rest days.

That said - I learned I don't love rest days. They are a little "jarring" to go from walking for hours a day every day - to a rest day where you only sight see. I instead prefer to mix longer walking days and shorter walking days. I always leave room for rest days in my itinerary - but prefer to to plan to actually use them going forward. On the Norte/Primitivo - I only took 1 rest day it it was not because I needed rest, but because I had issues with drying laundry (too many rainy days) and needed to take time to wash/dry everything thoroughly. Otherwise I could have done without.

If you end up not using your rest days - you can have more tourism days at the end - after you reach Santiago.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It really depends on your likes/dislikes. Some people prefer to stay in small secluded villages - and I might find that bores me to tears. Some like busy cities. Some like a mixture of both.

I would say the most popular rest days on the Frances are probably Burgos/Leon (could be wrong - that is the impression I got). Burgos/Leon are two big cities with lots to do and are well enough spaced out from each other. That is where I took my 2 rest days.

That said - I learned I don't love rest days. They are a little "jarring" to go from walking for hours a day every day - to a rest day where you only sight see. I instead prefer to mix longer walking days and shorter walking days. I always leave room for rest days in my itinerary - but prefer to to plan to actually use them going forward. On the Norte/Primitivo - I only took 1 rest day it it was not because I needed rest, but because I had issues with drying laundry (too many rainy days) and needed to take time to wash/dry everything thoroughly. Otherwise I could have done without.

If you end up not using your rest days - you can have more tourism days at the end - after you reach Santiago.
I was doing a few 40km days and my feet were dying (legs were strong) and so I did Najera to Granon and considered the 26km's a rest day. I arrived in town at 11:30am, had a really good lunch and enjoyed some beers in the afternoon. It was perfect for what I needed. So shorter days aren't a horrible day for someone to consider...either a later start or an earlier stop.

Depends on how you want to spend your rest days. If you want to be able to explore museums and cathedrals, I recommend Leon and Burgos. I wish I’d also taken a rest day in Astorga, as there was much to see (a Gaudi building and a cathedral and a chocolate museum I missed…). Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Depends on how you want to spend your rest days. If you want to be able to explore museums and cathedrals, I recommend Leon and Burgos. I wish I’d also taken a rest day in Astorga, as there was much to see (a Gaudi building and a cathedral and a chocolate museum I missed…). Buen Camino!
I was able to see all those places in one day - roughly from mid-afternoon (went out as soon as I settled in at albergue; perhaps it was 2PM) and I was sitting down for dinner at 6:00PM
To be honest I was not overly impressed with Chocolate Museum but to each his own

I think that if it’s genuinely a day where you want to rest, relax and do nothing then those mid sized towns mentioned are all good. For us though, part of the reason for the rest day was to actually see some of the places we were walking through rather then arriving evening, leaving morning and seeing none of the city. On that premise, Pamplona, Burgos, Leon maybe Ponferrada, Astorga. Enjoy and buen Camino.

I was able to see all those places in one day - roughly from mid-afternoon (went out as soon as I settled in at albergue; perhaps it was 2PM) and I was sitting down for dinner at 6:00PM
To be honest I was not overly impressed with Chocolate Museum but to each his own
Same. I did like Astorga - but I didn't need a rest day there to do everything. Same with Ponferrada. Loved both - but saw everything I wanted to see in one afternoon/evening.

And I too wasn't impressed with the Chocolate Museum. But - I guess I am a bit of a Museum Snob - I have been to so many world class museums in so many major cities on 3 continents - I struggle with the smaller ones. But I do like to support the smaller ones and once in a while I find a great unexpected treasure in one of them. I am glad I went - but won't go back a second time.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, I am starting the Frances next Friday (14/04) and I plan to walk for 26 days + 2 rest days. As you see, it is a tight schedule so I was wondering what are the top 2 places would you recommend to stay over on those days off. Of course, if I got the chance to choose as I'll probably use those rest days whenever my body askes for it.

Cheers
Big cities:
Pamplona
Leon
Burgos
OR
Smaller towns:
Logrono
Estella
Astorga

Cheers
Burgos and Leon both cathedrals are stunning
Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The Evolution Museum in Burgos is fantastic, so a rest day there is probably needed if you want to see it because it a massive museum. Burgos is less of a party city than Leon. In Leon, it is tough to find a place that is quiet at night.
You might want to see if there are any festivals coming up in some of the smaller towns? Saints days, things like that?

there's an albergue in el Acebo(literally at the end of the town) that is magnificent. You'll be putting on some KM's each day at that pace. I hiked it from Astorga and enjoyed staying at the place (although reactions are mixed...some have criticized my choice) as the room I stayed was comfortable, the pilgrim meal was excellent, and they had a pool. I always said that on my next Camino, I'd either stay a full day there or wake up leisurely and then do a short hike to Ponferrada from el Acebo. (I kind of liked to keep moving and especially enjoyed my afternoons on the Camino when I felt like I had the trail all to myself)

el Acebo was the only place on the Camino that elicited this type of reaction/thought from me, fwiw. The views in the evening towards the West were amazing (I hiked it in July 2017)

The Hostel albergue. ;)

The first time I stayed there it gave off a weird vibe. You just don't find a 4-5 star albergue, that far into the mountains, that costs 10 euros a night.

It was like a Bond vilain hideout, especially with the dog cage by the gates with three vicious looking dogs in it (haven't been up that way for a few years so no idea if they are still there). I have tried to find the back story on who built it and why, a few times, but never really got anywhere. It's just a strange place in a location you wouldn't expect to find it in.

It is a nice place, clean, multi-lingual staff, comfy bunks. I would stay there again. It sets you up nicely to push through Ponferrada either on to the Invierno or on towards Sarria. Or if you are using it like a rest day, I would probably take a leisurely walk into Ponferrada, it's not massively far from there, but maybe not follow the camino route into Ponferrada, it's easier (on the legs) just to follow the main road in, instead of faffing around on all the back streets.

My first Camino I planned rest days, after that one, I never did take an official rest day but simply do a few very short days. I am not a city person and don't feel the need to explore Burgos, Leon or Pamplona. However, I am originally from Europe so have traveled there extensively . If this is someones first trip to Europe you may love it because those cities are beautiful. But as someone in an earlier response mentioned, they are more tourist days then rest days :)

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Cheers
Instead of rest days, very short walk days.

Especially for retired folk or those with more time and for slow walkers like myself, I recommend the way I took my first rest day in Pamplona. Unlike my subsequent rest days, I did not spend two nights in the same place. I stopped walking in a nice place called Huarte, just before crossing the Arga river. I very much enjoyed the neighborhood filled with people going about their usual daily life. In the morning I checked out and spent the day strolling around Pamplona and seeing the sights. In the afternoon I checked into my hotel in Zizur Mayor, resuming my Camino from there the next day. I suppose you could consider this either a rest day or a very short walk day!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Cheers
If you are as young and agile as your avatar suggests - forget rest days. I was probably twice as old as you. I began in Roncesvalles - no argument please about better or worse than the best starting point - and although we had banked two days for rest and splurge we did not use them, and arrived in 29 days. I do not regret at all the experience. You have probably got longer legs, and more resilience. Just keep moving, and keep being where you are. You will get there. Buen camino.

If you’re traveling solo you may find that staying an extra day in the larger cities can be a bit sad and depressing. The locals will be out at their preferred watering holes en masse having a great old time and a solo foreign visitor can really feel like an outsider.

In the small Camino-oriented towns it is far easier to find fellow pilgrims to pair up, chat, eat, and drink with. Take your time in those places.

Also, sometimes in the cities and larger towns, I'd stroll by many watering holes and if I saw groups of locals mixed in with groups speaking German, French, or English I'd keep walking. Usually such groups would be keeping to their own and not mixing much. When I found a place of only locals I'd walk right in and found that it was much easier to interact when I was the only foreigner. A good ice breaker was to ask someone for a restaurant recommendation and others would join in with their opinion. A kind person would inquire as to where I'm from and an enjoyable time would ensue.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I found a place of only locals I'd walk right in and found that it was much easier to interact when I was the only foreigner.
Most of the time on my first Camino I was both the only foreigner and the only pilgrim in a bar or restaurant. It was very rare for me to stop anywhere for more than a few minutes without some local person starting a conversation. One of the downsides of the much larger numbers walking today is that most pilgrims now move within a Camino bubble and social interactions with local people are less common.

Cheers
Seeing you will be saving on accommodation [ 26 days ] I would stay in
The Parador in Santa Domingo and then in Molinaseca because the ankles if they are going to go will be just prior to this town.
With the river it's a very nice rest day .

Interesting thread, I planned my first few Caminos to the day with rest days. But now I just pick a start date and allow one day at the end to get to where my flight departs. All in between is a Forrest Gump box of chocolates.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Also, sometimes in the cities and larger towns, I'd stroll by many watering holes and if I saw groups of locals mixed in with groups speaking German, French, or English I'd keep walking. Usually such groups would be keeping to their own and not mixing much. When I found a place of only locals I'd walk right in and found that it was much easier to interact when I was the only foreigner. A good ice breaker was to ask someone for a restaurant recommendation and others would join in with their opinion. A kind person would inquire as to where I'm from and an enjoyable time would ensue.
If you're walking during a major futbol competition, be sure to join the mix in a bar with a TV and root for the underdog. I had so much fun and learned so much, interacting with Spaniards in that way.

When reading travelogues or travel literature it is always interesting to me how the writer managed to immerse him/herself among the local dinner/drinks crowd because, while it sounds ideal to the reader, in reality, if takes not only linguistic skill but a certain type of personality to carry this out.

I’m neither an extrovert nor an introvert but I definitely feel like I’m imposing in such situations. I’m not comfortable inserting myself into others’ activities. On the regular Camino trail, however, it’s accepted.

I’m neither an extrovert nor an introvert but I definitely feel like I’m imposing in such situations. I’m not comfortable inserting myself into others’ activities. On the regular Camino trail, however, it’s accepted.
It's a complicated issue. Most of the time I prefer to be solo but occasionally I am invited to share a meal or a conversation with others. I would always wait to be invited first. But some people take a different tack and assume that being a pilgrim automatically gives them the right to insert themselves into an existing group or to attach themselves to a solo walker and demand their attention. Something which I find very irritating.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
That resort-like place in El Acebo had a strange way of advertising on the Camino. A sign on the trail that was apparently movement activated, so it gave a verbal speal when you got near it. I was tempted to destroy it.

Blofeld would have definitely been after you for that. :p

...I’m neither an extrovert nor an introvert but I definitely feel like I’m imposing in such situations...
I wondered about this and what you are. So I looked it up and I found this:

“Ambiverts fall somewhere in the middle of the introvert-extrovert spectrum. They have a balance of qualities from both ends of the spectrum, so they can adapt to a wider range of social situations. Omniverts, a newer term, are similar to ambiverts but tend to lean more toward extroversion. They are often adventurous and enjoy a variety of experiences, but they also need time to recharge and be alone.”

Wow, there are a lot of categories! I looked into this before and decided that I was an extroverted introvert.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back