• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

top 5 memorable points on the Camino

na2than

Time of past OR future Camino
(2012)(2013)
It was requested as a new thread. Over the 825 kms from St Jean to Santiago there must be places you remember most.To get the ball rolling here in no particular order are mine.

my first glimpse of Roncevalles...and knowing the end of day one was in sight

watching the sun come up from the top of O'Ceberio after an early walk

Touring Burgos cathedral as a pilgrim

coffee in that coffee shop next to the castle in ponferreda(excellent breakfast...top tip)

the municaple swimming pool outside Pamplona at Cizor Major...pilgrims get a big discount....and you swim..sun bathe and eat looking up at the next days walk to Padron

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Seeing the first way marker was very exciting :)

The sculptures on Alto de Perdon

Foncebadon , what an amazing village.

Cruz de Fero at sunrise

The botafumeiro

Thanks for posting this as a new thread. :D

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
taking the wooded steep way to Rosconvalles and hearing the bells chime out from the monastery.

Seeing cirquai from a distance it just looked so beautiful on its hilltop and dark clouds behind it.

Same again for castrojeriz + i had a shepherd ahead guiding a couple of hundred sheep across the plain in front of me.

the descent a few km after manjurin to acebo, me and my basque walking parter startled a wolf so we had a good view for about 10 secs of it hightailing it, and then further on as we were above acebo we started to walk through cloud and came across the village with it framed by the glittering lights of the valley

Meeting Renata at acebo.

Taking the very first step on the track leaving Roncesvalles on my first Camino.
Walking with a recently widowed lady, who was on her way to the cementery to visit her husband.
Meeting the father of a Dutch Pilgrim, who had died in a blizzard en route from SJPP. He took up the Camino where his son left, who had been walking over several months from Amsterdam. ( this is a true story, so similar to The Way, but real, this time).
Entering Galica. What a stunning countryside.
Rounding the corner to enter the Plaza del Obraidoro in Santiago. Finally made it!
Ok, I know, two of these points aren't places, but they were very significant moments on my Camino.
Anne

If I have to add a couple of places to replace my two " personal" moments, I will add:
Visiting the Monasterio de la Peña near Jaca on The Camino Aragonés.
Staying in several of the Parroquial Albergues: Grañon, Tosantos, Viana, because of the great Pilgrim spirit and attention.

The Basque choir in the church in St. Jean Pied de Port the night before my walk began.

My first 2 days from St. Jean to Roncesvalles. Oh the Pyrenees!!!!!

My walking companions. Three in particular who will be dear to me for the rest of my life.

Seeing the sun rise and moon set at the same time on the Meseta.

Galicia.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Here's my top 5:

5. Cruz de Ferro: I stayed in Foncebadon, in the hippie albergue where we ate homemade goat yogurt. I got to the Cruz de Ferro early so it wasn't crowded and filled with bus pilgrims. Every person was so respectful of the others and let them up alone. When I left, I saw 2 deers cross the road in front of me.

4. The Pyrenées: the pride and confidence that part of the camino gave me is one of the most beautiful gifts it has given me. I started walking the day (18 hours) after I got to SJPP from Montréal so I stayed at Orisson but that doesn't take anything from it: I still did it. In the rain and I didn't get to see anything but I don't care.

3. Walking the strech from Carrion de los Condès to Calzadilla de la Cueza. I walked that part after having being stuck un Carrion de los Condès because of bank card troubles. It was windy but the sky was blue so the small clouds where flying by quickly and their shade made it seem like the grass was breathing, or dancing, giving illusions of hills on the flat Meseta. Pure happiness it was.

2. My stay at Granon. I had a terrible blister, I was hurting but I didn't care. Someone played the piano and the guitar, there was a light breeze, we celebrated a birthday and sang in 5 or 6 different languages and I was with...

1. my Camino family.

It's difficult to narrow it down to five...

Discovering the big labyrinth on the plateau between Atapuerca and Burgos. I'd skipped that stage, as I had bused into Burgos from Ages, so after I'd reached Santiago I went back and walked it. It was the final stage of my Camino, the first time I walked every step of the way, so it had all the emotion of walking into Santiago for me.

Limping into Praza Obradoiro in Santiago on my first Camino, meeting up with friends who were a day ahead of me.

The cathedral in Leon, my first cathedral-love. I cry every time I see it and go inside.

Spending the afternoon in the Plaza Mayor in Estella on a rest day. Around 5:00pm the entire town turned up, to socialize, smoke, play, laugh, and enjoy the beautiful fall day.

The meseta in Spring. Endlessly rolling hills in every shade of green.

Mostly Albergue related ......... and in 2003.

1.) Spending my very first night in Roncesvalles after arriving on the 18h00 bus from Pamplona - in awe and with much intrepidation.

2.) Granon , my first experience of a Parroquial albergue

3.) The old San Bol.

4.) The snow at foncebadon (it was abandoned back then...........and dogs did bark at me) , the Cruz and the amazing night with Thomas at Manjarin.

5.) My first view of The cathedral at Santiago - rounded a corner in the old town and there it was - I sobbed with relief and passion.
:D :D :D

Very hard to limit it to five.... just a selection....

1: The evening at Orisson, where a rainbow stretched across the sky with the mountains behind.

2: Granon, where I slept on the floor beside three dear Canadians, and Francis, from France, who I have remained in touch with.

3: Atapuerca, where the landscape seemed to speak of the ancient hominids that had roamed there so long before us.

4: Hontanas, where the sudden view of the village below, with poppies on the approach, was one of the Camino moments that took my breath away.

5: Leon, with its vibrancy. I especially loved San Isadora, and could imagine the medieval monks labouring on their manuscripts.

Margaret

Cold sunny morning outside Burguete with everything covered in frost (including the horses)

Parting of the fog when we reached the top of Alto de Perdon (no wind either)

The grape and chestnut harvests around Villafranca del Bierzo

Climbing to O Cebreiro in the moonlight first thing in the morning

Every time we ran into someone we weren't sure we'd ever see again

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Here are my five from a multitude of memories across the recent years.

The famous red door of the municipal albergue, 55 rue de la Citadelle, Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port. Pushing it open began each new Camino adventure. Mme Jeannine, the tireless hospitalera greeted all and serendipity prevailed.

In January 2009 after walking up the Valcarlos road in 5 hours through strong wind, heavy rain, sleet and eventually snow at Roncevalles I was the only pilgrim. As always the evening benediction was held in the ancient Romanesque church (wonderfully heated) in front of the magnificent silver sculpture of the Virgin. Three monks assisted and asked me to stand with them at the altar. ...In retrospect how special it was to be the single pilgrim where crowds have stood throughout time.

Eunate was always perfection. Within the dim interior one sensed the deep peace of eternity. In 2011 four other pilgrims and I shared warm hospitality in its simple albergue. Afterwards we held a simple candlelit prayer service within the church giving thanks for our Caminos, our lives and our loves. Later as we each fell asleep we pilgrims remarked on our luck and pleasure in sharing such precious moments. ...Leaving in the opalescent morning I thought how wonderful it had been to visit this beloved place once again. May peace reign there another thousand years.

On every camino there comes a moment when you find your "groove". In 2004 between Atapuerca and Cardeñuela as far as the distant horizon the rolling greenery was broken only by the giant curve of the trail. It was a perfect image; not an imagined vision, but a memorable vista, for my first Camino.

Each arrival at the plaza Azabacheria and the northwest corner of the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela was memorable. Whatever one believes, however one sees this world, it is impossible not to be touched and moved in this city and at this very special place. As always I put my hand on the ancient stone wall, offered silent thanks for all that has been which enabled this and wept.

Margaret Meredith

I had similar moments as the other posters. Here are a few more in no particular order:

(1) Watching the Korean school kids entertain the pilgrims in Puente La Reina.
(2) Granon where I found the pilgrim experience I'd hoped for.
(3) Arriving in Burgos and reuniting with my pilgrim family.
(4) Reaching the top of the ridge and seeing the ocean on the way to Fisterra.
(5) Reaching Faro Fisterra, seeing the 0.000 km marker and realizing that I couldn't walk any farther.

On my 1st Camino last year ( the baby camino from Sarria to S de C )

Seeing our 1st distance marker on the Escalinata Maior just after starting in Sarria.

Our 1st night in an albergue, Casa Banderas in Vilache just before Portomarin where our hosts Gordon and his wife made us feel like long lost friends.

See the Vuelta Espana cycle race pass by near Ventas de Naron on our 2nd day ( I'm a life long cycling club member )

On the night of our last full days walking: attending mass in the little chapel of San Marcos just above the albergue at Monte del Gozo, only 11 present but 8 nationalities :)

The smiles and tears of joy on my partners face when she entered Praza Obradoiro and stood before the Cathedral in Santiago.

Memories to keep one happy in one's later years :D

Seamus

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The sunset in the albergue in Bercianos, with nuns playing guitar and everybody singing together

The amazing dinner in a palloza in Fonfría, with the windows open and the views

The monks singing Gregorian in Rabanal del Camino with the old, very modest church beautifully lit up by rays of sun

The view towards the west in Mostelares with partridges and rabbits running around

Drinking with with the locals in Torres del Río and then walking over a beautiful frosty landscape the following morning

I love this thread. Reading the recollections of others sparks my own memory and makes me miss the Camino with a keener edge.

My first Camino was last summer, and I could probably list a thousand memorable points, but the first five that spring to mind are -

1. The sense of accomplishment reaching O'Cebreiro after a 37 km walking day

2. Comparing wine tongues with friends during a wonderful night in Ventosa

3. Reunions with friends thought lost at Torres del Rio and Foncebadon (technically two individual memories, I know!!!)

4. Being awestruck by the incredible beauty of the cathedral in Burgos

5. Seeing the ocean for the first time when approaching Cee, on the final day of the walk from Santiago to Finisterre

So many memories!

Falling asleep by candlelight in the Ermita de San Nicolas
First sighting of the Cruz de Ferro
Eating pulpo (octopus) for the first time in Galicia
Hearing live gypsy music at a market outside of Burgos
Seeing the peeks of the Cathedral de Santiago in the distance

I could probably name 20 other ones, but these are the ones that I remember the most... TODAY (I likely would name others if asked next week or next month!)

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Top 5 moments from last year’s camino…
5. Walking the Dragonte route, and on reaching Herrerias being told that there was in fact one bed remaining despite the sign outside the refugio saying it was full
4. Leaving Foncebadon early to reach the Cruz de Ferro at sunrise, and the walk from there over the mountains through Acebo to Molinaseca
3. Walking into the church at O Cebriero and seeing the early morning sun beaming through the windows above the altar.
2. The Botafumeira
1. Sitting on the cliffs at Finisterre watching the sunset
…and of course the many wonderful friends and fellow walkers I met long the way.

1) walking up to the pyrenees, sjpdp below, the view unfolding. at every step just amping!

2) roncesvalles

3) the spanish girl in the blue cycling shorts

4) the sudden appearance of hontanas

5) long straights thru endless hot dry dusty plains, leaving carrion, when the storm hit

Thought about this for awhile, here goes:

1. My Camino friends,

2. Introspection,

3. Living in a unique environment of kindness for 32 days,

4. Charm of Old world Spain, culture and people,

5. Walking through the tunnel leading to the plaza, seeing the cathedral in Santiago.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Perhaps I am being pedantic but the title is "Top 5 memorable points on the Camino". Many of the answers have been about the Top 5 memorable moments and feelings on the Camino which is perhaps what the original poster wanted.

It got more interesting that way though, eh? :)

Top 5 memorable moments on our October 2013 Camino Francés. We agreed on all but number 4.

5) The pilgrim monument on Alto del Perdon.

4) Laura: The 5:00 AM fire in the Puente La Reina hotel where we stayed for our wedding anniversary.
4) Chris: Staying on the top floor of Albergue Monte Irago in Foncebadon and looking out the three skylights to see Orion centered in the first one, Cassiopeia in the second, and a shooting star in the third.

3) The Iron Cross (Cruz de Ferro). We went there twice, first at sunset, then in the morning.

2) The meals we had at the two Casa Rurals we stayed in, one in Acebo and the other near Barbadelo.

1) The Pilgrim Mass in Santiago with the Botafumeiro and the Hallelujiah Chorus, where we reconnected with companions we hadn't expected to see again.

Honorable mentions: The Cathedrals at Burgos, Leon, and Astorga, and the Templar castle at Ponferrado.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
William Marques said:
Perhaps I am being pedantic but the title is "Top 5 memorable points on the Camino". Many of the answers have been about the Top 5 memorable moments and feelings on the Camino which is perhaps what the original poster wanted.

Can you really separate the notions? Truthfully, the Pyrenees are wonderful (alledgedly) but I can't vouch for it since it was so foggy, I couldn't see 10 feet in front of me. The pride and feeling of accomplishment made the Pyrenees memorable for me, not the vista. And I believe that places mean something when there's an emotional memory with it.

Definately agree with you CaminoGen. A "memorable point" is for me synonomous with a "memorable moment/experience".

5) Pilgrim's Mass and the Botafumeira

4) Seeing the ocean for the first time on the way to Fisterra

3) First Albergue Perroquial experience in Viana

2) Second albergue perroquial experience in Grañón

1) Returning to Grañón as a hospitalera

The sheer pain, the tears, the disbelief of how far it was to push our bikes (and carry!) over the
Portela Grande on the Camino Portuguese, and the temper tantrum when I saw the rocky, so-called path down the other side. My husband pushed my head under a waterspout to shut me up.
Getting to Santiago - gazing up at the Cathedral to thank St James for getting us there - then noticing i had a puncture - 1st one of the trip!
Having my miracle from St. James - a root canal treatment - on my birthday - whilst our names were being read out at mass and the the censer swung.....(after two weeks of agony - I was glad!)
Camping on top of Mont Jexkibel (on Ruta del Norte) and watching the sun set and the stars come out - with a 360% view of the Pyrenees, the sea, and Le Landes.
Eventually getting to Rosslyn Chapel (we followed the Camino de las Estrellas) and leaving a scallop shell on the altar in the Lady Chapel, and feeling such a sense of love and kinship with all our fellow pilgrims.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
2dgl1qx.jpg

St. Jean Pied-de-Port - First day of my camino!

kd77s2.jpg

The meseta was magical!

oeqlh.jpg

The 52 km marker - jumped up there backpack and all!

10ddu0n.jpg

Ecstatic in Santiago - with my camino family!

wkjqxt.jpg

Finisterre - swimming in the ocean was a definite highlight!

I only have a top 3 so far. I'll add to them after further Caminos! :D

Walking towards the Alto del Perdon in late April it was absolutely stunning, with the wind blowing through the crops like waves, and the clouds shifting the light over the hill. There was no point even trying to photograph it because it was the movement that made it special.

Between Hornillos and Hontanas on the Meseta. No cars, buildings, roads etc. In late afternoon it's beautiful just because of its lack of distractions and is the point where I feel most at peace.

Alto do Poio at 7am in May as the sun rose and lit up all the clouds hanging in the valley.

Buen Camino!

Making it to Roncesvalles from St Jean, with my 10 year old daughter, Georgia

Finding our way across Spain - pushing through the anxiety and saying "not today" when that anxiety asked me to dance

Watching Georgia get her Compostella, and the standing ovation she earned....legend Child

Ferro de Cruz: my silent, personal deal with God

Seeing the top of the Santiago Cathedral glimpsed between buildings on that long, arduous last 5 kilometres.

Numerous more - friends, accomplishments, faith,.... but these 5 are the indescribable ones, the ones that I don't want to forget, ever... What an amazing thing to do.

What an amazing thing to do...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Only 5?! :)

1) Arriving in Orrison for my first coffee break on the Camino - soaking in the beautiful surroundings and allowing the reality of what I was doing to truly sink in.

2)Taking a silly self portrait with my camera on day two and doing a double take as I looked at the photo and a face I almost didn't recognize. Could I really look THAT much happier after only a day and a half of walking? (and the moments after finding out how many other people had that same moment either on camera or just catching their reflection in the bathroom)

3) Getting caught in a crazy thunderstorm on the way back to the Albergue in Estella with friends I had met along the way - laughing as we ran and splashed through the puddles, arriving back drenched to the bone, pouring puddles of rain out of hiking boots we had left outside to air...

4) Sleeping under the stars at Ferro de Cruz - it was FREEZING, but with a few bottles of wine, the amazing company I was in, and the sheer.....sacredness(?) of the mountains, it was probably my favourite night of the entire Camino.

5) Sitting at Cape Fisterra, alone. Friends further up, chatting and laughing - but just me, my thoughts, the vast ocean below me, and the vast sky above. I cried like a baby as I sat there, so immensely thankful to have experienced the Camino, and to just be alive.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back