• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Top bunk, bottom bunk?

Travellingman

I've put this on the Frances board, as that's where I've walked the most.
So, as a mature pilgrim, who has slept in many albergues along the route, my preference is obviously for the lower bed in a bunkhouse dorm,preferably in the corner, as most pilgrims would agree. However, as I'm male, and (I'm told:)), look younger than my ** years, (should've been to Specsavers....sorry, English joke) I'm often directed to the upper bunk, even when lower ones are available. Maybe I should stoop a bit more, or carve wrinkles on my face:rolleyes:.
However, walking the Ingles a couple of years ago, I met a German woman - very experienced peregrina - who maintained that the top bunk was better, because less people had slept in it, so less chance of picking up any nasties.....
Thoughts please.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi, Travellingman,
If the "nasties" you are referring to are bed bugs, then that observation may be a bit of an urban myth. I had heard it myself, and remember thinking that was a good reason to go to the top bunk. But I remember seeing posts on the forum about the habits of bed bugs from people who seemed to know what they were talking about, and they assured us that bed bugs are equal opportunity bunkers.

I know this isn't what you asked about, but here is my two cents on upper bunks. I am always surprised to see how many people get down using what I consider the "wrong technique." Don't ever descend from the top bunk with your front facing forward. It is so much easier to slide down with the front of your body facing the bunk. You can much more easily hold on the top mattress or walk on the ladder, and the front of your feet are much more useful for gaining a foothold than your heels.

Buen camino, Laurie

At my age (If you are **, I am probably ****:rolleyes:), I always take it as a compliment when guided to a top-bunk:D. After re-constituting my hydration level (no, usually not with water) a pressing bladder made me develop an amazing technique to climb down fast.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
At my age (If you are **, I am probably ****:rolleyes:), I always take it as a compliment when guided to a top-bunk:D. After re-constituting my hydration level (no, usually not with water) a pressing bladder made me develop an amazing technique to climb down fast.
I would always take the top bunk for 2 reasons : 1 is that I feel safer on top as no one else is likely to climb up on top of me by mistake or at least if they tried I would have a better chance of pushing them away ! 2 is that older pilgrims and those needing the bathroom during the night might appreciate the lower ones for an easier and speedier exit .

Still consider myself young...46...others might think differently :p but I prefer the lower bunk. Really small bladder and an irrational fear that I will fall out of the top bunk... . Although in view of my clumsiness there is a big possibility that I would fall out...

Well, years ago whilst staying at Glasgow youth hostel (and a lot younger), I did fall out of the top bunk. Fortunately, cushioned by sleeping bag, no lasting damage done. But a very rude awakening, once I'd realised where I was....:eek:

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would always take the top bunk for 2 reasons : 1 is that I feel safer on top as no one else is likely to climb up on top of me by mistake or at least if they tried I would have a better chance of pushing them away ! 2 is that older pilgrims and those needing the bathroom during the night might appreciate the lower ones for an easier and speedier exit .
This old guy thanks you for your #2.

Although all alone in the albergue in "Pena Flor de Hornija", I took a top bunk. The ceiling was beautiful is why.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So, as a mature pilgrim, who has slept in many albergues along the route, my preference is obviously for the lower bed in a bunkhouse dorm,preferably in the corner, as most pilgrims would agree. However, as I'm male, and (I'm told:)), look younger than my ** years, (should've been to Specsavers....sorry, English joke) I'm often directed to the upper bunk, even when lower ones are available. Maybe I should stoop a bit more, or carve wrinkles on my face:rolleyes:.
However, walking the Ingles a couple of years ago, I met a German woman - very experienced peregrina - who maintained that the top bunk was better, because less people had slept in it, so less chance of picking up any nasties.....
Thoughts please.
Hi, I prefer the top bunker for no special reason.
Wish you well and a Buen Camino, Peter.

70 years old, osteoporosis, need toilet every 90 minutes --would feel neither safe nor comfortable in top bunk and plan to stay in private rooms.
Years ago, who knows?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
As a twice-a-night-gal (bathroom visit that is!) I am sincerely hoping to get a bottom bunk wherever I stay!

I would hope those younger and fitter than I might be prepared to swap bunk levels if need be.

But how do I ask in Spanish for 'a bottom bunk, por favor'?

As a twice-a-night-gal (bathroom visit that is!) I am sincerely hoping to get a bottom bunk wherever I stay!

I would hope those younger and fitter than I might be prepared to swap bunk levels if need be.

But how do I ask in Spanish for 'a bottom bunk, por favor'?

Julia you read my mind I was about to ask the same thing!

I have a fairly seriously injured left shoulder and will have very great difficulty hauling myself up to a top bunk even once let alone several times a night. I don't want

anyone to think I'm trying it on? Really wish I'd learned more Spanish :oops:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Keep in mind that not all the bunks are the same. You will find that they vary greatly in design, material and construction and how you access the top bunk. Some are better than others, and I suppose safer as well. Inspect them, and if they look unsafe, don't stay in it.

Only once was I assigned a particular bunk - at the municipal albergue in Burgos. The rest of the time I was told to choose a bunk that was free.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Amazing topic, as it made me think about my habits. If there is choice I usually take a bottom bunk, but when I think about it do not really care that much & so I think in the future I will choose the upper bunk more often, so fellow pilgrims in search of a lower bunk do not have to ask to swop. By the way, and perhaps off topic, the availabilty of some hooks and a little shelf for the top bunk make me a very happy pilgrim (but they are rarely there).

I'm guided by where the power point is. In Casa de Caceres the bunks were extremely close together and you could just grab both bunks and swing your legs in the appropriate direction.

Thoughts please.
Because hot air rises I prefer a lower bunk because it's cooler and a upper bunk when it's cold because it's warmer. That being said, younger pilgrims, please pity on us older pilgrims and take the upper bunks or switch with the older pilgrims. Getting our old and arthritics bones in a upper bunk can be painful, difficult, and dangerous. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Top bunk if bottom bunk does not pertmitting sitting ( not enough distance between top and bottom), and if the stars are aligned it will have a ladder to get to it. Also has the plus of allowing you to put ypur feet up on the wall for a bit of restaurative relaxation.

Otherwise bottom,bottom, bottom, especially if the beds are not very strudy and can tip over with you as you ty to climb up from the side. Also like having my stuff next to me to keep an eye on it.

Oh, and especially bottom if it's a 3 tier bed! NOT climbimg to the third floor!

Read here in the forum about an unfortunate soul who crashed and burned out of the top bunk at Viana, which, for the uninitiated, are three tiers high. No parachute, no landing pad, only crash and burn. A definite minus for the bottom bunk? Your upstairs partner may be restless, may be excited, may suffer from nightmares or just be afraid of the dark perhaps dyspepsia bringing him/her to toss and turn all night long creating great bunk quakes. No Rest For You! Roll the dice and take your chances!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Luckily that old 3 tier troop ship system has been recently replaced at the municipal Viana albergue with the standard two tier bunk system. All is now more solid and sturdy.

I prefer the top bunk - I always have. I like the extra space on the top bunk and not having anything right above me. Plus, it's more comfortable when sleeping to be a little higher - no one walking right past you, etc. I don't mind climbing up and I haven't fallen out of bed in years, so I'm pretty confident that I won't now. The only real downside is not being able to just walk up and sit on your own bed to put your shoes and socks on, organize your gear, etc.

For me, top one is much preferred - nothing over my head. Well…..guess it depends on how low the ceiling is the to beds.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Bottom all the way!

Age doesn't necessarily have that much to do with it -- I'm in my early 30s but have plantar fascitis, and I actually can't get out of a top bunk in the morning without help, because the ladders require me to put weight on my bad foot in a way that's impossible. I did find myself once or twice begging someone to switch beds with me for this reason. :)

Thoughts please.
Slightly depends on the nature of the bunks -some are so flimsy and unsafe that the whole thing creaks and moves with the occupant of the top bunk getting in and out -making the bottom bunk feel rather noisy -I would always go for a bottom bunk ! You made me laugh about which bunk you were offered -I knew I was looking dreadful if offered a bottom one but flattered when asked to take a top one and leave the bottom for an older person ! At 51 I felt old some days!
Top or bottom buen camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Age doesn't necessarily have that much to do with it -- I'm in my early 30s but have plantar fascitis, and I actually can't get out of a top bunk in the morning without help, because the ladders require me to put weight on my bad foot in a way that's impossible. I did find myself once or twice begging someone to switch beds with me for this reason. :)
Have you tried sleeping with a brace? It's uncomfortable at first but it has helped me.

I haven't done the Camnio yet, but recently stayed in a hostel in Wales. I was in a private room and used the top bunk. The bunk was really sturdy and had a good ladder. If the bunk is wibbly wobbily then I would prefer the bottom, but I'm flexible and willing to switch.

I like top. My inner squirrel was happy. No problems except my boyfriend laughing his head off: "You like top!"
On bottom beds I had problems siting - I'm quite tall and hit my head on the top bed, got my hair caught in the wires under the top bed. Plus there is less fresh air, it tends to circulate more freely where there are no obstacles, i.e., closer to ceiling.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
When booking into an albergue with my wife, when bunks were assigned, we would often be assigned a set of beds bunked; by default I was the upper.
I don't really like the bunk above especially when over a stranger - somehow you feel like an intruder on their space. You try to find default places to put your pack and other gear.
Side by side bunks are worse.

It depends if someone is in the other half. I would rather the top then have someone getting up and stepping down near me in the middle of the night.

Good topic

Do most of the upper bunks have at least one guard rail if not against a wall?
Some of the older ones have no guard rails .....
Some were against a wall so only had to worry about one side....but not all. Most were ok once you get used to the consept.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Top tip: If the top bunk has no guard rail, try tying your scarf, towel, tights, trousers or other stuff across the front. It looks safer and you will know when you get too close. You can do the same on the other side to avoid accidentally snuggling up to the snoring pilgrim you've never met before and who shares your elevated double bed.

Top tip: ...You can do the same on the other side to avoid accidentally snuggling up to the snoring pilgrim you've never met before and who shares your elevated double bed.
And miss all the fun? ;0) Seriously, I've done that. It was on a bottom bunk. A good thing, and a good thing the fellow pilgrim was kind enough to simply hand me my arm back and not push me off the bed ...

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back