• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Top of new shoe rubbing ankle

Shiv

Time of past OR future Camino
CF - 2014, 2016, 2019
CP - 2022
So my new Salomons arrived last week. I tried them on and they felt great. I was delighted, until I took them for a short walk no longer than 5 km. The top of the right shoe was rubbing just under my ankle bone. It didn't feel too bad so the next night I went again for another short walk. This time the rubbing was so bad it cut my ankle. The top of the shoe is padded so I don't understand why it's happening, and only on one foot. I talked to a friend who says to just wear them around for the next few weeks and the skin in that area will toughen up. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you have the time to see if you can adapt to the shoe (toughen up), or the shoe to you, then give it time.

Your foot might be slipping slightly forward and backward with each step in the shoe, and a heel-locking or lace-locking technique might help with that.

You might also try using an ENGO patch right at the point of rubbing.

If these fail, you may simply need a different shoe.

Hi Shiv, I find it easy to empathise with you as I had the exact same problem recently. Rather than repeat the good advice given to me, may I suggest you read the 'Breaking-in new boots: advice needed' thread under the Medical Issues section of the forum. FYI, my problem has almost disappeared now.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Personally I would not keep or wear a shoe that gave me problems from the getgo.

If you wear them for a few weeks and things don't get better, it'll be too late to return them. Send 'em back and gets something that fits you, rather than hoping that you'll adapt to fit them.

Shoes !!!! for me THE most important thing I carry. I start breaking my shoes in 6 months prior to the Camino....that way I have time to switch if they turn out not to be the right shoe. And I bring comfy trail runners that I can wear if the weather is not too wet. AND....hiking sandals if the weather is real nice :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Shiv....sorry about your problem with the Solomons.

I feel your pain.....If there is one thread out of place on my shoe, I will be sure to get a blister.

Here is a possible solution to your problem which has worked for me. Try elevating your foot in the shoe by placing thin pieces of cardboard under the Solomon shoe liner (or try a cut-up piece of thin shoe insole from old shoes). Raising the foot will also raise the ankle away from the rubbing part of the shoe. It worked terrifically for me on brand new shoes recently. I placed it in the heel area only.

Hope it works for you.......hardening up my feet has never worked for me. Feel free to check out my photo from C.F. 2013. :(

Attachments

• Ouch!!!.JPG
    Ouch!!!.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 33
So my new Salomons arrived last week. I tried them on and they felt great. I was delighted, until I took them for a short walk no longer than 5 km. The top of the right shoe was rubbing just under my ankle bone. It didn't feel too bad so the next night I went again for another short walk. This time the rubbing was so bad it cut my ankle. The top of the shoe is padded so I don't understand why it's happening, and only on one foot. I talked to a friend who says to just wear them around for the next few weeks and the skin in that area will toughen up. Does anyone have any experience of this?

Don't get rid of your boots if they otherwise fit! My wife had a similar problem and got carded wool to make protect her ankle, which was similarly irritated by the boot despite padding. It worked perfectly and was also great for protecting other parts of the feet (toes, heals, etc if/when "hot spots" were noticed). Got through the camino without a blister! Also gave pieces of wool to many people on the camino who were plagued by blisters and didn't want to use compeed or similar adhesive product.
Carded wool is soft, antibacterial, keeps skin dry, reusable, inexpensive (get it at yard stores) - can't say enough about it!

Make a photo of the injured ankle and send them back ( tell the manufactured they are not apropiated for your feet).
Or wear a good quality socks two layers !
Put some Vaseline on it , but the best solution is send then back to the manufacturer!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Send them back - it sounds like either one is malformed and another pair would be fine or that you have one foot larger than the other (many do).

Clean them up before posting - if you are concerned about the initial road sole wear spray 'cockpit shine' on the bottom of them.

Or, if you really must keep them try this (it is what cobblers do with leather shoes) - place the shoe over something hard - a log is good - then hit the offending section really hard a couple of times with a hammer to soften them at the friction point.

If you're determined to keep that particular shoe, try inserting an insole. Not only will it improve your arch support, it will probably raise your ankle just enough to get the tender spot above the top of the shoe.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Use a heel insert so that your ankle sits higher than usual. This is also good for plantar fasciitis, right @Robo ? Or if you like the rest of how the shoe feels there is nothing a pair of scissors can't help with I'm sure. Just cut a bit of that padding and use good old ducktape. You see lots of that on the Camino.

I am a fitness instructor and have had issues with any shoe that touches my ankle. I tried on many hiking shoes until I found the pair I just bought. It's the Soloman XAComp. It's basically a trail running shoe but it's not hitting my ankle. I tried on 2 though. One comes up higher than the one I bought and I bet you have that one. You do not want to keep a shoe annoying your ankle. It will actually end up bruising it and you'll be aware of it with every step. Get the XAComp 7. Awesome shoe. My daughter bought it also after trying on at least 12 others. And the first Soloman she tried was also the one that hits the ankle bone and she felt it right away. I've had cross trainers that do this and eventually my ankle would be so irritated that I could barely take a step much less try to teach a step class or run in them. This Soloman XAComp is also waterproof.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
image.jpeg
I am a fitness instructor and have had issues with any shoe that touches my ankle. I tried on many hiking shoes until I found the pair I just bought. It's the Soloman XAComp. It's basically a trail running shoe but it's not hitting my ankle. I tried on 2 though. One comes up higher than the one I bought and I bet you have that one. You do not want to keep a shoe annoying your ankle. It will actually end up bruising it and you'll be aware of it with every step. Get the XAComp 7. Awesome shoe. My daughter bought it also after trying on at least 12 others. And the first Soloman she tried was also the one that hits the ankle bone and she felt it right away. I've had cross trainers that do this and eventually my ankle would be so irritated that I could barely take a step much less try to teach a step class or run in them. This Soloman XAComp is also waterproof.

Thanks so much for all the advice, you guys are great! I'm going to try a few of the suggestions here as I'm not really in a position to get another pair at the moment. I'm using my old insoles and I know I need new ones so perhaps that will help. I like the idea of raising my foot slightly so will give that a try too. I'm wearing a padded plaster on that area at the moment and it's helping. I'll keep walking with them for another few weeks anyway and will have a better idea then. Thanks again :)

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.