• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

“Top of the head” question about 100 mile marker

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm not sure of this is a trick question, but 100 miles would put you somewhere between La Faba and O'Cebreiro.

If you mean100km, that would put you around Ferreiros, which is a few km before Portomarin.
Thank you for your reply, not a trick question at all 😊. Just thinking about starting points further east than Sarria and it appeals to walk 100 miles. We are intending to walk via Samos. Thanks for your attention and advice 😊

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
OK miles, but the 100K milestone is in Ferreiros, in a hamlet of the village about 1K past the Albergues in the Santiago direction.

I passed it 2 days ago.

New ones have been put down BTW, made so as to be resistant to both graffiti and stickers. They look quite nice and shiny at the moment.

Previously, there actually was no 100K milestone, but a 100,xy one.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
O Cebreiro would be a great place to start! It's a very scenic little village and the first stop in Galicia on the Camino francés. Just be aware that's it's a lot of downhill to Triacastela, so potentially harder on the knees and feet than the mileage would indicate. Start slow if you can.

I was intending to find the 162K milestone, but as I got a lift from O Cebreiro to Villafranca del Bierzo, it didn't happen, sorry.

O Cebreiro is at 159K, so it would be 3K from there.

I am thinking that the border stone between Castilla y León and Galicia would be a good symbolic starting point for a 100 mile Camino.

As to Samos, I went full tarmac between Sarria and Triacastela, and it's no longer if you do that than the way via San Xil. The long version of that portion is about 7K longer.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The milestone next to the Xunta Albergue at O Cebreiro has 159K. I was there two days ago.

The milestones in Galicia now are all new ones, and the distances given on them have been revised.

The 100K marker is not where the old one used to be. Nor is the Camino itself exactly as it was.

The whole business is very imprecise of course, but if that 159 is right, then that's 166K via Samos.

But as things stand on the ground, currently, then the material point on the official route equivalent to 100 miles in relation to the distance waymarkers is somewhere near the regional border.

Look, with respect... we can waste energy arguing about it but...

What the mojons say, what your fitbit says or what you yourself say, is one thing, but a distance certificate from O'Cebreiro to Santiago by Samos Monestary at this moment will say 162km which will translate as roughly 100 miles. This is, I believe what the OP wants to know.

And I agree with others, an interesting, iconic place to start your camino! I wish you well with it!!😀

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was intending to find the 162K milestone, but as I got a lift from O Cebreiro to Villafranca del Bierzo, it didn't happen, sorry.

O Cebreiro is at 159K, so it would be 3K from there.

I am thinking that the border stone between Castilla y León and Galicia would be a good symbolic starting point for a 100 mile Camino.

As to Samos, I went full tarmac between Sarria and Triacastela, and it's no longer if you do that than the way via San Xil. The long version of that portion is about 7K longer.
159km? I do wish they'd stop monkeying around, it used to be at 151km

1667051603663.png

Which puts 162km at the Omega bar at Ruitelán:

1667051673626.png

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back