• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Top Ten Questions or Phrases every Pilgrim should know in Spanish?

Time of past OR future Camino
(SJPP - Finisterre)
What are the top ten questions or phrases in Spanish, (or even just the top 5), that you feel every pilgrim should know in order to make their walk easier, based on your past walk experiences? I'm thinking of simple things such as, "How much does it cost?" or "Do you have a bed available?"

This is for everyone, really, but especially those that did not study Spanish in school or haven't enough time to learn much before they depart. (I'm thinking at the very least they can work on memorizing your suggestions on the airplane, train, or bus to their starting point on The Way.)

Of course I would add things like Muchas gracias! etc., but I'm thinking more of a little guide to help others get by and get around.

Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
?Donde esta el bano/farmacia/albergue/supermercado/estacion de autobuses/tren/maquina de banco (if met with blank stare try Ah,Te,eM)? - Where is the bathroom/pharmacy/hostel/supermarket/bus or train station/bank machine (ATM)?
Quisiera un cama (habitation) por favor. - I would like a bed (room) [for the night] please.
?Cuanto cuesta eso? - How much does that cost?
Vino tinto por favor - Red wine please
Agua Potable - Potable water (usually a fountain is so marked. If it is not then don't drink from it)
Quisiera un billete a (destination) por favor. -I would like a ticket to (destination) please.
Otro cerveza por favor. -Another beer please.
Quisiera un menu por favor. I would like a menu please.
?Tiene wifi? -Do you have wifi?
Mantequilla de mani/Manteca de cacahuate - Peanut Butter
Big Mac - Big Mac

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Hi, I must have asked for “una cerveza por favor” a hundred times, but I always get a blank look in return. I just cannot pronounce “cerveza”, no matter how much someone helps me :( So now I still ask for “una cerveza por favor”, but after the blank look, I am ready with my “a beer please”, which is ALWAYS understood :) Jill

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, I must have asked for “una cerveza por favor” a hundred times, but I always get a blank look in return. I just cannot pronounce “cerveza”, no matter how much someone helps me :( So now I still ask for “una cerveza por favor”, but after the blank look, I am ready with my “a beer please”, which is ALWAYS understood :) Jill

I guess that would be the time to ask for a 'vino tinto'. Wine is better for you anyway.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just speak english. If they do not understand you, point it .non verbal language is the language of the world. No problem.

Ah yes, this is true, but I think they serve me with a smile because I tried really hard in my attempted Spanish first :D

May I suggest, prior to asking for anything, I would preface with "Disculpeme por favor (please excuse me)", "Perdon (pardon)", "Perdoneme (pardon me)", or at least "Por favor (please)". Always gracious to ask for assistance and use the magic words. Chances are, your request will not be a first for whomever you are asking and they will understand in whatever language follows. And, don't forget "Lo siento" and "Gracias". Mooncat

€83,-
Ah yes, this is true, but I think they serve me with a smile because I tried really hard in my attempted Spanish first :D
I agree with you. I learned basic Castillano (spanish) long time ago, was sent to Barcelona as salesman for the company I worked by then-when I entered in the client's office (special transport and construction companies) I allways directly asked "do you speak english ?" No, they allways answered (had over 300 customers in the Catalán area and only 5 -five- spoke english !) okay do you speak Dutch ?-I am Dutch- they started to laugh- okay then you can speak spanish with me but please slow..my Castillean skills improved all the time by the way. And got a lot of bussiness friends because the smile brings sympathy.

I still use this trick. Learning Brasilean Portugese for some time now and during our recent walk in Portugal I could communicate easily with non english speaking people.

By the time I'd reached Santiago my pronunciation of " Lo siento, no hablo Espanol" was so good that
many people thought I was Spanish. Most people smiled and reacted favourably. One young girl in a
grocers responded by shrugging her shoulders and saying she didn't speak English. Fair point.

Inexplicably, when I was struggling with Spanish I slipped into appalling French. Another language
I can't speak. On occasions, people responded to me in French and then looked bewildered when
I still hadn't grasped what they were saying and went back to English.

At O'Cebreiro I walked into the shower area, which doesn't afford much privacy, and greeted a fellow
pilgrim with my best Hola, dias. He launched into a long, fast flowing conversation in Spanish. Very
tired after a long days walk and by now completely naked, I smiled, nodded and sought sanctuary in
a cubicle leaving my new companion still talking. The following day he saw me again and came towards
me. He said that the day before he thought I was Spanish and was annoyed by my walking away mid
conversation. His exact words were "I thought you were ignorant but you're not, you're English"

Apologies Falcon, this is very much away from your original request !

I took good advice from this forum before I went and made sure I always greeted people when
entering shops and always smiled. All was well.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Definitely "vino tinto" as someone already pointed out ;)

I also used "para llevar" a lot, it basically means "to take away" for food or coffee, etc.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
"Lo siento, no hablo español" (Low cientow, no hah-blow spanyol) - Sorry, I don´t speak Spanish.
"Un Menu del dia, por favor" (Uh-n manuh del deea, pour favohr) - The daily specials menu, please.
"Donde es el baño?" (Dawn-de es el banyo?) - Where is the bathroom?
"Está cierca *name of place*?"(Es-tah see-er-ca***?) - Is *** near?
"Cuánto custa esto?" (Kwan-tow coos-tah estow?) - How much does this cost?
"Tienes habitaciones doble?" (Tee-yenes ahbitasyones dow-bee-leh?) - Do you have doble rooms?
"Tienes sellos?" (Tee-yenes seh-yows?) - Do you have stamps? (for pilgrim credential)

There may be a few mistakes above, as I'm not native speaker of Spanish or English (so thaat makes VERY qualified to write anything here :p), but these phrases were very useful to me.

you can ask for 'una caña' for a beer in Spain. Will this get you the same thing as 'una cerveza'?

It will. "Caña" is just a more regional word, such as "birra", which also means "cerveza".

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I studies spanish before I left, but found that at the end of the day the wrong words came to mind. First came an English word, then French, then Italian, and then... maybe Spanish. (I studied French at university and in Paris, I've lived in Heidelberg, and spend 4 months in Italy.) So I'd end up just staring at the person talking to me. One night I actually answered someone in Italian, and wrote my friend in Rome about it the next day. I didn't even know I remembered any Italian! -- I ended up avoiding talking when my feet were killing me, and I just wanted to go to bed. :)

I am going to visit a mission in the Dominican Republic this Spring, and will be staying with a family. So I am continue to work on my Spanish. But I can say "No hablo Espanol, lo siento."

cerveza ... just think of that great boozing gentleman "Sir Vayzer" ... and you'll be understood :)

€83,-
David, you are wicked. If you ever come to Australia we will turn the drop bears loose. Or take you swimming at Bondi. They closed the beach today. Completely off topic.
My favourite moment of embarrassment using Spanish was when I described myself as that, ie. "yo soy embarazada". Which is pretty impressive for a woman my age.

@Leah C. O'Leary I downloaded a good dictionary and a speak and translate app. My Spanish is OK so I did not use the speak and translate app. I did use the dictionary all the time, especially in restaurants. It was useful to have something that could be used offline.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Google Translate works well for words and phrases. Spelling becomes important if you are trying to go from the spoke word to a translation!

"Tienes habitaciones doble?" (Tee-yenes ahbitasyones dow-bee-leh?) - Do you have doble rooms?

Right or wrong, I usually use "Hay" for this kind of question :)
"Hay habitacion doble por favor?"
The answer may be . . . .
"Si, hay! Pero con cama matrimonio! Vale?"
If you want a double bed (which we do as a married couple :D) the answer could be simply . . .
"Vale"
I found that the word "Vale" is used constantly in country areas in Galicia.
It has the same meaning as the French "Ce Va?"
As is said above - keep smiling :):)

Blessings on your communications1
Tio Tel

€83,-
@Leah C. O'Leary I downloaded a good dictionary and a speak and translate app. My Spanish is OK so I did not use the speak and translate app. I did use the dictionary all the time, especially in restaurants. It was useful to have something that could be used offline.
Would you kindly share the aps?

Has anyone used the Google Translate ap on your cellphone?

I use google translate (not an app) with an informal group that is learning conversational Spanish. We are finding the service is not exactly reliable. You need to translate english to spanish then spanish to english to find if it works both ways - and often it doesn't. It gets worse with words that have different meanings - such as 'keel' which can mean a part of a boat or to clean a pot. Then you need to check your result with a dictionary. If you rely on google translate you will get into difficulties.

I use the itranslate app - £3.99 from the app store but I find it better than the Google one. Once you have downloaded your languages the text to speech/speech to text doesn't need an internet connection!
http://itranslateapp.com/

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
?Donde esta el bano/farmacia/albergue/supermercado/estacion de autobuses/tren/maquina de banco (if met with blank stare try Ah,Te,eM)? - Where is the bathroom/pharmacy/hostel/supermarket/bus or train station/bank machine (ATM)?
Quisiera un cama (habitation) por favor. - I would like a bed (room) [for the night] please.
Agua Potable - Potable water (usually a fountain is so marked. If it is not then don't drink from it)
Quisiera un billete a (destination) por favor. -I would like a ticket to (destination) please.
Big Mac - Big Mac
Isn't B and V before i and o pronounced differently? i.e. centro would sound like thentro and viejo would sound like beeyeho ? At least that is what I'm being told in Spanish class.

Soy vegetariano.
Yo no como carne o pescado .
Jamon no es un vegetal.
Pollo no es un vegetal.
Percebes no son verduras.
Sólo una ensalada para mí.
Atun no es una planta de ensalada.
Voy a tener el plato de frijoles.
Chorizo no son judías .
Una botella de brandy por favor.

:D:D:eek:
I've just translated that with Google Translate :D
Does that mean I'm not the only vegetarian who ends up with a liquid diet for supper? :rolleyes:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
"Tienes sellos?" (Tee-yenes seh-yows?) - Do you have stamps? (for pilgrim credential)

Take into account that "sellos" can also mean regular postage stamps. If you want to ask people to stamp your credential, a better phrase would be:

"¿Por favor, me puede sellar la credencial?"

Less room for ambiguity this way, I think.

Isn't B and V before i and o pronounced differently? i.e. centro would sound like thentro and viejo would sound like beeyeho ? At least that is what I'm being told in Spanish class.

I've gotten from Spanish classes that V sounds almost like B. C and Z are usually closer to 'theta' as in thentro and thervetha. Though you will get strange looks if you try using 'theta' in words such as 'grathious' in places like Mexico where its pronounced gracious.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@Leah C. O'Leary "Speak and Translate" which does exactly that, ie you talk into the phone in English and the app translates it and says (and texts) the Spanish back. Paid version is $12.99. It is fairly amazing but does need internet connection. The dictionary is "Complete and Unabridged English-Spanish Dictionary". Is expensive but with cheaper ones I got sick of not finding the word I needed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I've gotten from Spanish classes that V sounds almost like B. C and Z are usually closer to 'theta' as in thentro and thervetha. Though you will get strange looks if you try using 'theta' in words such as 'grathious' in places like Mexico where its pronounced gracious.

I usually reckon that my Castillano is to Spanish what broad Yorkshire is to Oxford English! We picked up our Castillano in Argentina!!
Que tal? Como le va? Como estas vos!!
Usually gets a laugh. Guaranteed to break the ice at parties. :)

Tio Tel

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What are the top ten questions or phrases in Spanish, (or even just the top 5), that you feel every pilgrim should know in order to make their walk easier, based on your past walk experiences? I'm thinking of simple things such as, "How much does it cost?" or "Do you have a bed available?"

This is for everyone, really, but especially those that did not study Spanish in school or haven't enough time to learn much before they depart. (I'm thinking at the very least they can work on memorizing your suggestions on the airplane, train, or bus to their starting point on The Way.)

Of course I would add things like Muchas gracias! etc., but I'm thinking more of a little guide to help others get by and get around.

Thanks!

My wife, a spanish teacher, says the key phrases that get you through aren't always the ones you think of. Besides hello (hola), goodbye (adios), thank you (gracias), and I'm sorry (perdon or lo siento), she recommends you learn the word for this and/or that (este and/or que)--that way you can point to ANYthing you want and be understood.......as well as to count up from one to the total number of your party, so if you are traveling with three others, be able to count to four (uno, dos, tres, cuatro, cinco, seis, siete, ocho, nueve, diez).

On Camino I'd also suggest you at least be able to say hello, goodbye, and thank you in Basque and Gallego, it will go a long way with the locals (Basque: Kaixo, Agur, and Eskerrik Asko respectively, Gallego: Ola, Adeus, and grazas respectively)

Big Mac - Big Mac

And you pronounce WiFi as Whiffy!

Or ask for a "caña" (kanya) or, if you'd like something lighter a clara (beer and lemonade)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
A ver (let's see) is a good "filler" as is pues (well, well then) when you get lost for words.

At mass in SdC a lovely sister was teaching us our responses and use "a ver" quite often!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
But you'll get it cheaper if you ask for "una caña" or even "una jarra" 9if you're v thirsty. Una cerveza can elicit bottled beer.

My Spanish lessons say you can ask for 'una caña' for a beer in Spain. Will this get you the same thing as 'una cerveza'?
Una cana is a short draft. When I lived in Spain 100 years ago, really just 37 years ago, it cost in duro (5 pesetas) and came with a tapa!! Oh the old days!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
"Donde es el baño?" (Dawn-de es el banyo?) - Where is the bathroom?

¿Dónde está el baño?

"Está cierca *name of place*?

¿Está cerca "name of place"?
¿Está "name of place" cerca? is valid too.

"Cuánto custa esto?" (Kwan-tow coos-tah estow?) - How much does this cost?

¿Cuánto cuesta esto?

Voy a tener el plato de frijoles.

That would be fine, for example, in Mexico but in Spain, use alubias or judías instead of frijoles.

Isn't B and V before i and o pronounced differently?

No, it isn't. It's /c/ before /e/ and before /i/ that sounds different than before the rest of the vowels as well as /g/ before /e/ and before /i/ sounds different than before the rest of the vowels.

We picked up our Castillano in Argentina!!

What they speak in Argentina isn't really castellano (Castilian) but other variants of Spanish (e.g.: Rioplatense).

Que tal? Como le va? Como estas vos!!
Usually gets a laugh.

¿Qué tal? and ¿Cómo le va? are perfectly fine in Spain. ¿Cómo estás vos? isn't used but it's understood by many/most people and if you just say ¿Cómo estás? then that's perfectly fine too. BTW, one of the possible answers to ¿Cómo estás? would be Bien ¿y vos? what is the only use of vos that it's still made nowadays in Spain.

she recommends you learn the word for this and/or that (este and/or que)

That, in the context you quoted it, doesn't mean que but ese. In Spanish, both this and that have three forms:

This: este (masculine), esta (femenine), esto (neutral). The neutral form is just used as pronoun (i.e.: it isn't used as noun or as adjective)

That: ese (masculine), esa (femenine), eso (neutral). The neutral form is just used as pronoum (i.e.: it isn't used as noun or as adjective).

€83,-
That, in the context you quoted it, doesn't mean que but ese. In Spanish, both this and that have three forms:

This: este (masculine), esta (femenine), esto (neutral). The neutral form is just used as pronoun (i.e.: it isn't used as noun or as adjective)

That: ese (masculino), esa (femenine), eso (neutral). The neutral form is just used as pronoum (i.e.: it isn't used as noun or as adjective).

Oops! Should have let my wife respond instead of quoting her then doing my own translations. Lesson in life: let one's wife do everything! :)

The first word a peregrino should learn is "Gracias". Gracias means thank you . Add a smile when you use it. As a smile is dirt cheap.

Ondo Ibili !

You don't know how happy I am to hear that. For the life of me I just can't figure out how to say eskerrik asko!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
If you ever pass thru Bilbo doing the Camino del Norte let me know . You'll not only learn " eskerrik asko" but you" ll learn others like " pintxo" as well. :)

Ondo Ibili !

That would be wonderful but this year it will be the Francés. I leave SJPdP on September 7th.

Mike

My wife, a spanish teacher, says the key phrases that get you through aren't always the ones you think of. Besides hello (hola), goodbye (adios), thank you (gracias), and I'm sorry (perdon or lo siento), she recommends you learn the word for this and/or that (este and/or que)--that way you can point to ANYthing you want and be understood.......as well as to count up from one to the total number of your party, so if you are traveling with three others, be able to count to four (uno, dos, tres, cuatro, cinco, seis, siete, ocho, nueve, diez).

On Camino I'd also suggest you at least be able to say hello, goodbye, and thank you in Basque and Gallego, it will go a long way with the locals (Basque: Kaixo, Agur, and Eskerrik Asko respectively, Gallego: Ola, Adeus, and grazas respectively)
Exactly the lesson I'm on now: 'This' masc/singular este, masc/plural estos (these) - 'That' masc/singular ese, masc/plural esos (those) and so on. So far approx 500 words; now whether or not I can put them together? We'll see, but I am thoroughly enjoying the lessons.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Back to the OP...if your learn your 10 helpful Spanish phrases, but don't understand the reply given to you, then they won't get you very far! Will they?:(

Hola amigos,

Lo siento, coming to this thread a bit late.

But how about some fun, too :

"Hola. Soy Juan (or your mate's name)"

"Como te llama?"

"Mucho gusto, Elena (or whatever)"

"Que guapa es usted. La gustaría algo de beber?"

""Y que queres beber?"

"Tienes una sonrisa muy bonita"

And so on until the irate boyfriend turns up.

Then, if he's bigger and stronger than you:

"Yo no fui. Bueno me voy"

And if he's a pipsqueak:

"No te metas conmigo"

De colores

Bogong (realising that "de colores" is somewhat oxymoronic if you're trying it on like this)

LOL, some of the phrases I read are funny, correct for most part yet funny (pls don't take it in a bad way, is just that I speak spanish so I find it funny :) ), I would recommend everybody to start with:

"Hola" > Hello
"Buen dia" > Good day
"Buenos dias" > Good morning
"Buenas tardes" > Good afternoon
"Buenas noches" > Good evening.

"Busco" > in itself means looking, "busco un baño" > looking for a bathroom
"Necesito" > in itself means need, "necesito un cuarto/bed" > need a room/bed
"Quiero" > in itself means like/want, "quiero un cafe" > I want a coffee, I'd like a coffee

"Ñ" > very simple to pronounce, "baño" > ba"nio", just very fast and the i is used as in "India" and almost not noticeable, "baño" > baNiO, "mañana" > maNiAna, "pequeño" > pequeNiO, añejo > aNiEjo (vino añejo > aged wine as in "years old").

I'm looking to do my first Camino next year by bike from London and these forums are full of info, that's wonderful!

€149,-
So you would say to your friendly bar-owner, "¿Hay servicios, por favor?"

AFAIK, all bars must have servicios so the question should be Por favor, ¿Dónde están los servicios? (Please, Where's the toilet?)

Then you should say " Socorro !"

...or ¡Auxilio! although I think socorro would be easier to pronounce for a foreigner.

"Como te llama?"

¿Cómo te llamas?

""Y que queres beber?"

In Spain, that would be ¿Y qué quieres de beber? (Don't forget voseo isn't used here)

La gustaría algo de beber?"

You might hear that one on the street but the right one would be ¿Le gustaría algo de beber?

Buenas noches" > Good evening

Buenas noches would be Good Night. Good evening would be Buenas tardes or buenas noches depending on the time (of the day) you use it and sometimes on the context too.
BTW, the translation of evening would be tarde-noche but that one, although it's used by Spanish speakers, it isn't yet officially recognized as a Spanish word by the RAE (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_Academia_Española) so there isn't yet an official writing of the word (i.e.: if it must be written tarde-noche, tardenoche or tarde noche) and there isn't either an official plural of it... Anyway, tarde-noche isn't used in greetings (neither in singular nor in plural).

necesito un cuarto

In Spain, in the context that you are using it, we don't say cuarto but habitación.

LOL, some of the phrases I read are funny, correct for most part yet funny (pls don't take it in a bad way, is just that I speak spanish so I find it funny :) ), I would recommend everybody to start with:

"Hola" > Hello
"Buen dia" > Good day
"Buenos dias" > Good morning
"Buenas tardes" > Good afternoon
"Buenas noches" > Good evening.

"Busco" > in itself means looking, "busco un baño" > looking for a bathroom
"Necesito" > in itself means need, "necesito un cuarto/bed" > need a room/bed
"Quiero" > in itself means like/want, "quiero un cafe" > I want a coffee, I'd like a coffee

"Ñ" > very simple to pronounce, "baño" > ba"nio", just very fast and the i is used as in "India" and almost not noticeable, "baño" > baNiO, "mañana" > maNiAna, "pequeño" > pequeNiO, añejo > aNiEjo (vino añejo > aged wine as in "years old").

I'm looking to do my first Camino next year by bike from London and these forums are full of info, that's wonderful!

Hola Herbert,

Me da verguenza. Hablo muy poco español .

Actually these two could be useful phrases as well. The first - "I'm embarrassed" - has relevance to Kanga, while the second , self-evident, is a good ice-breaker and the local trying to sell you something will probably correct you with a grin and say that you speak excellent Spanish!

However now I know why those pretty young things giggled at me.

And did I hear "Vayase al diablo, abuelo" (Get lost, grandpa)?

Me acabo de tomar el pelo (Just kidding)

Regresando al tema(back to the point). The Camino is more than just a pilgrimage, a time of self reflection, a walk through history or whatever personal bent we may have. It's a celebration of life and that life very much involves the local people you meet, practically none of whom in my case spoke any English at all. The best comes when we try to interact, and stretch ourselves beyond just "my Camino family". Basic phrases are a start, but it's a lot more rewarding, and also respectful, if we try to go at least a little beyond this. It doesn't really seem to matter if, like mine, it's a bit rough, as long as one has a go.Most of my walk in winter 2014 I was alone (only one other pilgrim the final two days from Sarria into Santiago de Compostela), and it would have been miserable if I had relied solely on getting by with English.

Saludos Herbert and all the best for your Camino!

Bogong

In Spain, in the context that you are using it, we don't say cuarto but habitación.

Little things about Spanish from the rest of the world and castellano from Spain, yet I know in some countries they also use habitación, in Colombia we may use both, guess the difference goes on the length of rent period or the geographical location, so thanks for the clarification, in regards of Good evening vs Good night, normally in Canada we would say "Good night" at the time of bed, yet "Good evening" is used as salutation after 7 pm, hence I'll stick to my choice of words, as a matter of fact I had this discussion some time ago with some peers, we came to the same conclusion, "Good evening" is a better translation for "Buenas noches" when it comes to salutation, "Good night" is more to say "I'm off to bed".

Now, on the words, what would be the best word to ask for a pharmacy?, farmacia, drogueria, or boticario?, in Colombia I could use the first 2, the word boticario was used a long time ago, probably not that many people will in fact know the meaning nowadays in Colombia, lol :)

Me acabo de tomar el pelo (Just kidding)

Most of my walk in winter 2014

Goodness, before I ask, "Just kidding" would be better taken in spanish as "solo bromeo", that's pretty much the straight meaning, bromeo is synonym of joking, so "Just kidding" > "Solo bromeo", in this particular case I would add a light smile, that would for sure defuse many horrible misunderstandings (...prior experiences :) )

Now my question, and I'm seriously surprised, winter!, what route and month if I may ask, by chance how cold does it get, I like the cold yet I want to ride and winter is not really the best for bike tires, my utmost respect to you, walking in winter is hazardous if not prepared properly, specially if you're going for a long walk.!

G'day Herbert,
This is probably more appropriate under a walking in winter heading than here. But on the other hand I don't think my example would be a good one to follow, particularly equipment-wise, so it's probably best to keep it here where few will see it, hopefully.

I was constricted time-wise because I kept on swapping start times around to fit in with others, but when every possible option for a companion dipped out I stuck with the last suggested date and decided I would do it alone. Also I'd locked in my wife and sister-in-law to arrive in A Coruna on 5 April, and I wanted to do it while I was still 69.

I headed off alone into heavy rain from St Jean Pied de Port at 10.30am on 28 February and walked into Santiago de Compostela at 9,30 on the 26 March. I had 9 days of glorious sunshine through La Rioja and La Meseta. The rest of the time it snowed, hailed, sleeted, rained and blew, with an occasional break. One such break was just out of Puenta la Reina. The path was more a muddy creek, but the sun appeared briefly and I note from my diary that the temperature at 1.30pm was 7.5 degrees, I was in shorts and a T-shirt and sweating quite a bit in the heat!

Equipment-wise, I was carrying a 16kg pack (I weigh a bit over 70kg) which I had whittled down to about 12kg by Ponferrada. One problem was three months supply of "staying alive" medicines, also a mass of documents including multiple copies of all the bookings etc for our later extended stay in Spain, in the almost certain knowledge my wife would forget to bring them.

Clothing-wise I had two lightweight woollen jumpers, three T-shirts, a pair of shorts, a pair of lightweight travel pants, three pairs of my everyday socks plus the usual underclothes, also a pair of thick mittens and a Nepalese woollen beanie. And my third totally useless Goretex jacket so I was sopping wet nearly every day. Thank heavens for the woollen stuff. Also I took a cheap Aldi sleeping bag, advertised as a down/feather mix but it seemed pretty well all down to me, which kept me warm and cosy every night while some of the others shivered (there weren't too many others). Several people I met in the first few days had convertible ponchos - well they started with ponchos but they turned into strips of ripped material. So I wouldn't like anyone to emulate my advice on equipment as it could be a bit dangerous.

When I went under the arch in Santiago I was on the edge of a large, deserted and very wet plaza, but there was an arrow going down the ramp which confused me a bit. I found a bloke and said "Donde es el catedral" and he pointed to the side where there was this enormous edifice covered in scaffolding. He was very amused! "Me da verguenza!".

The midday Mass that day was at best a third full. Both the side areas were empty. They didn't swing the thing but arriving back there with the two ladies about ten days later there were a lot more people and then they did! What a thrill!

After Santiago I headed for Fisterre and Muxia, and into the worst weather of the entire trip. It was on the nightly news and they were searching for footage back to the 1930's for equivalent snowfalls in some areas. It was wonderful stuff!

In A Coruna (it was still pelting down in Muxia so I caught the bus) they told me that winter didn't effectively end that year until about 2 April and that it had been the most severe recorded in Galicia.

We then had another seven weeks in Spain. I had planned the first two, but left the ladies to sort out the rest. They had done absolutely nothing and had left the guidebook at home, so it was largely catch as catch can for quite a while. They did bring me extra clothes. We had a wonderful time in this most absolutely fabulous of countries with the most gorgeous people. But squiring the two women around was far more stressful than walking the camino!

I'll try to add on the photo of the evening I arrived in Roncesvalles.
De Colores

Bogong

Attachments

• BILD0626.JPG
    BILD0626.JPG
    396.7 KB · Views: 10
...the sun appeared briefly and I note from my diary that the temperature at 1.30pm was 7.5 degrees, I was in shorts and a T-shirt and sweating quite a bit in the heat!

Bogong

Ha!, I love winter, I could go around town with just a t-shirt and chances are I'll be more than happy, put a light jacket on and I'll be sweating and miserable, left Canada a coupe years ago during Xmas to go and spend the time at home back in Bogota, Toronto was around -15, Bogota was around 10, it was a sauna for my first week while I adjusted...lol, sounds like it was an adventure to remember!

Oh, I found a word, I saw above Mooncat used "disculpeme", you could use "disculpe" > "sorry" as we would say in Canada :) when asking for some attention or passing the crowd in the subway, we're a very "apologetic bunch"...

So "disculpe" > "sorry/excuse me", also "Lo siento" > "sorry" if you made a mistake or caused havoc. :)

Now, on the words, what would be the best word to ask for a pharmacy?, farmacia, drogueria, or boticario?,

Farmacia.
On a droguería you can get, for example, beauty products, perfume, shampoo, bath gel, toilet paper... but you can't get medicines prescribed by a doctor.
Boticario is an old-fashioned term for farmaceútico (i.e.: the guy that works in a pharmacy) rarely used nowadays (although understood by most people). Botica is an even more old fashioned term for farmacia (not used nowadays, AFAIK, except in historical literature or in old shop signs).

Goodness, before I ask, "Just kidding" would be better taken in spanish as "solo bromeo", that's pretty much the straight meaning,

Right although I would prefer to translate it as (solo) estoy bromeando but that's just a matter of preferences.

Maggie, I'm so impressed that you're attending a Spanish class - that's what I call dedication :)

Maggie, I'm so impressed that you're attending a Spanish class - that's what I call dedication :)
Hi Safarigirl…..well I'm up to approx 500 words. We'll just see how well I put them together. I've been using Duo Lingo on line. Free…and enjoying it very much.

Hi Safarigirl…..well I'm up to approx 500 words. We'll just see how well I put them together. I've been using Duo Lingo on line. Free…and enjoying it very much.
Well done you. Maggie I think I remember you saying that you were starting your Camino from St Jean on the 25th and staying in the Orrison that night. Are you overnighting in St Jean on the 24th? I had planned to spend that night at Bayonne, but I'm now going to be at Beilari instead. Just wondered if you were there too? If not I'm sure we'll have a chance to meet at Orrison...or at some point on the Way. Buen Camino :)

Well done you. Maggie I think I remember you saying that you were starting your Camino from St Jean on the 25th and staying in the Orrison that night. Are you overnighting in St Jean on the 24th? I had planned to spend that night at Bayonne, but I'm now going to be at Beilari instead. Just wondered if you were there too? If not I'm sure we'll have a chance to meet at Orrison...or at some point on the Way. Buen Camino :)
Yes I will be at Belairi on the 24th..be great to see you there or Orisson

Hi again Safari girl, I have more details on St. Jean and Beilari, if it's okay to send you a mail message. Not sure others are interested to see it in thread:>) Maggie

Quisiera un menu por favor is correct, but
more precise is: Quisiera el menú del dia por favor.
There is a difference here. If you ask for "un menu" you are asking for the list of whatever it is they are sellomg on a regular basis. If you are asking for tje "menu del dia" you ar asking for the daily lunch time specials. Not the same, especially considering "menu del dia" is for lunchtime, not evening.

Just speak english. If they do not understand you, point it .non verbal language is the language of the world. No problem.
Are you kidding me? My mum was Spanish, nanny Mexican, so the Camnino is like going back home every year. But as I consider the Portuguese in a year or two I have also been lookong at taking at least on Portuguese course in unimevening courses before leaving. No? I would feel terrible not using Spanish because it might be resented, and if I have to resort to English in Portugal then no, Portuguese I learn and try lut first, to then resort to French,Spanish and then English. If it's not my language nor theirs, I will try another option first.

Right or wrong, I usually use "Hay" for this kind of question :)
"Hay habitacion doble por favor?"
The answer may be . . . .
"Si, hay! Pero con cama matrimonio! Vale?"
If you want a double bed (which we do as a married couple :D) the answer could be simply . . .
"Vale"
I found that the word "Vale" is used constantly in country areas in Galicia.
It has the same meaning as the French "Ce Va?"
As is said above - keep smiling :):)

Blessings on your communications1
Tio Tel
"Vale"the equivalent of OK. Ca va is not that frquently used, or ever, to mean ok. It's mostly used when asking the question how are you? Comment ca va? and answering it. And "vale" is one of those words people from abroad wantomg to sound cool or in will learn and use to show off a bit. It litterally means "it's worth", so when some says vale asking if what ever they are offering /suggesting amd you say yes you are saying their,offer is "worth it" or "yes". Send your South American teen to Spain for the summer and that is the first thing it'll learn, cause lispimg takes a bit lomger

€83,-
"embarazada" is the Spanish word for pregnant.
I was 8 years old or so, flying to Mexico on my own on an Iberia flight to visit my gramd parents for Easter. Agatha Christie film is being shown and the whole story revolves around the victim being "embarasada". I was 8, living in Montreal, in a French and Spanish speaking home. Bit taking some English at school. So at that time I had more English vocab than Spanish. Never understood the film

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back