• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Top tips and gentle reminders

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Enjoying the camino since 2009
Just thought I'd start a little thread of top tips and gentle reminders for pilgrims new and old, those little things that some people might not know about or have forgotten, either because they are focusing on something else, it doesn't occur to them or it simply slips their minds in all the excitement. We have all been there! Not a thread to admonish people but to kindly help them along a bit in true camino fashion.
The reason is I am three weeks away from my next and desperately needed zen top-up, so of course I am watching online videos about the camino, from the camino, about kit and packing and all things camino related (this is perfectly normal, and here's a top tip right away - search out Andrew Suzuki's videos, Beyond the Way for the sweeping beautiful stuff and Don't Stop Walking for the fun intro) and I keep seeing people who have dangling and loose load lifters, the straps connecting the back of the pack to the top of your shoulder straps.
They are there for a reason, so if you don't already, try pulling them tight while wearing the pack! In 9 out of 10 cases the pack will carry better when you pull the top of the pack closer to your back.
Top tip is to put your pack on, then tighten 1) hip belt, 2) shoulder straps, then 3) pull the load lifters to fit, and lastly, 4) fasten the sternum/chest strap. Only you can know when the fit is exactly right, so loosen or tighten all straps and try different things on walks at home before you set off with a full and badly fitting pack.
What is your favourite tip or gentle reminder that you think would make the camino a better place?

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A few safety pins can solve a multitude of problems in the camino: shorten long clothes, tighten waits that shrunk along the walk, hang clothes in clothlines, pin stuff to your backpack to dry while walking...

Also, if you find a sunscreen with moisturizer, you can carry only one tube and get dual use for the entire trip. Remember to reapply while walking, especially on the side facing the sun the entire day! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My top top is don't wait for hotspots to develop on your feet. If you know that certain areas are blister prone apply tape to those areas every day before you start walking. My favorite tape for this is Omnifix, which is available in most farmacias along the Camino. It's thin and flexible, stays on, yet removes easily without a sticky residue. Another similar brand is Hypafix.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009R2YCOC/?tag=casaivar02-20

If you know that certain areas are blister prone apply tape to those areas every day before you start walking.
I KNOW this. However, every time, I find myself wanting to know if my new shoe-sock-whatever system is actually effective. I cannot resist testing it by not applying tape in advance of blisters. Isn't there a phrase about this failure to learn?

Last edited:
How about some Camino etiquette. Just a couple off the top of my head.
1) if you make a reservation and decide not to use it, please notify the albergue as soon as possible. They kindly make reservations without guarantee of payment and depend on you showing up.
2) Please don't wash your laundry in the shower, others are waiting and you will use more than your share of hot water.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just thought I'd post a little thread of top tips and gentle reminders for pilgrims new and old, those little things that some people might not know about or have forgotten, either because they are focusing on something else, it doesn't occur to them or it simply slips their minds in all the excitement. We have all been there! Not a thread to admonish people but to kindly help them along a bit in true camino fashion.
The reason is I am three weeks away from my next and desperately needed zen top-up, so of course I am watching online videos about the camino, from the camino, about kit and packing and all things camino related (this is perfectly normal, and here's a top tip right away - search out Andrew Suzuki's videos, Beyond the Way for the sweeping beautiful stuff and Don't Stop Walking for the fun intro) and I keep seeing people who have dangling and loose load lifters, the straps connecting the back of the pack to the top of your shoulder straps.

They are there for a reason, so if you don't already, try pulling them tight while wearing the pack! In 9 out of 10 cases the pack will carry better when you pull the top of the pack closer to your back.
Top tip is to put your pack on, then tighten 1) hip belt, 2) shoulder straps, then 3) pull the load lifters to fit, and lastly, 4) fasten the sternum/chest strap. Only you can know when the fit is exactly right, so loosen or tighten all straps and try different things on walks at home before you set off with a full and badly fitting pack.
What is your favourite tip or gentle reminder that you think would make the camino a better place?

Thank you for posting this. You have outlined the basic steps quite well. I'd like to amplify on your instruction set just a bit.

1. Loosen all of the straps on the shoulder harness and hip belt.
  2. Put on the pack and very slightly tighten the shoulder straps so that the hip belt is slightly below the hips.
  3. Shrug your shoulders up, and then fasten the waist belt as you are getting it roughly into position.
  4. Slightly tighten the shoulder straps to assist with the hip belt adjustment.
  5. Position the hip belt padding to let the padding sit half above and half below the crest of the hips. The padding of the belt should never sit entirely above the hips. The padding should sort of wrap itself over the top of the hip bone and hug the hips.
  6. Tighten the belt just enough to keep it in position. At this point, nearly 100% of the packs weight is resting on the hips.
  7. Snug the shoulder straps to take up 5 to 15 percent of the packs weight. You will feel just a slight unloading of the weight off the hips.
  8. At the top of the shoulder straps and toward the pack, are smaller straps called 'load lifters'. Grasp them and pull to your front. You will feel the weight of the pack lift up slightly and pull more snugly toward your back. This helps with center of gravity and balance. You can experiment with how snug or how loose you want to pull on the straps. On many packs, but not all, a properly adjusted load lifter strap will form a sort of 45 degree angle when viewed from the side.
  9. On some waist/hip belts there can be a small strap connected to each side of the belt. Again, pulling forward on those straps will bring the bottom of the pack closer to your back, helping with balance as you are walking.

Well said...too many have their backpack on their bum instead of higher up.
And too many have their hip belt around their waist and not cradling the hip crest.

Albergues are like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get. Their sole purpose is to provide shelter, a place to sleep and a shower ... and for these we should be grateful.

When training with your backpack, wear the clothes you plan to wear on camino, including the underwear. You never know where there may be an irregular seam on a piece of clothing and your pack straps might press that irregularity into your skin and cause discomfort. You may want to address issues like this before you commence your camino.

If you’re walking near water where there’s even the remotest change you might lose your balance and fall in, remove your backpack or, at the very least unclip your hip and chest straps. That way, if you do fall in, you can more easily slip off your pack and save yourself from what could be serious consequences. I beg those walking with children to be particularly aware of this.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My top tip is to always try to know your limits. There is no advantage to try and exceed them (unless that is your purpose in walking). Thinking you can do what you could do when you are 20 something and pushing yourself beyond reasonable limits is at best uncomfortable and at worst Camino ruining. Remember that the one of the main joys of the Camino is the experience so why rush it?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Please get yourself and your pack completely ready to go the night before, so in the morning, you can just slip on your pants, grab your sleeping bag/bedding, grab your pack and slip quietly out of the room to an outer room, to finish getting ready to go. No turning on room lights, bright flashlights, rustling loud plastic bags or talking loudly. Please show respect to your fellow exhausted and hopefully still sleeping pilgrims. I tried to make sure everything was packed and ready to go and my clothes were left sitting on my back pack. I just slipped into my pants, grabbed my stuff and left the room.( I messed up a few times) I leave on April 25th for another round of this. I will try to follow my own advice, so I won't be the one talked about later in the day!

Just thought I'd post a little thread of top tips and gentle reminders for pilgrims new and old, those little things that some people might not know about or have forgotten, either because they are focusing on something else, it doesn't occur to them or it simply slips their minds in all the excitement. We have all been there! Not a thread to admonish people but to kindly help them along a bit in true camino fashion.
View attachment 54700
Last year on the Norte I was walking with two new friends for a few day.
One morning as we were leaving after a couple of tough walking days, John said that he felt great except for his shoulders were really starting to hurt. It was then I first noticed but the top of his pack was about 3 or 4 inches off his shoulders. I tightened the shoulder straps and told him exactly what you just suggested. I then told him to put the chest strap on comfortably to reduce the side by side. I didn’t see him again until where we all said we would meet for our lunch picnic. He said he felt 100% better. When I did my first Camino way back when the woman at REi gave me all those packing tips. It’s good to have a pro help a novice. Thanks for the reminder

Last edited:
Thank you for posting this. You have outlined the basic steps quite well. I'd like to amplify on your instruction set just a bit.

2. Put on the pack and very slightly tighten the shoulder straps so that the hip belt is slightly below the hips.
  3. Shrug your shoulders up, and then fasten the waist belt as you are getting it roughly into position.
  5. Position the hip belt padding to let the padding sit half above and half below the crest of the hips. The padding of the belt should never sit entirely above the hips. The padding should sort of wrap itself over the top of the hip bone and hug the hips.
  6. Tighten the belt just enough to keep it in position. At this point, nearly 100% of the packs weight is resting on the hips.
  7. Snug the shoulder straps to take up 5 to 15 percent of the packs weight. You will feel just a slight unloading of the weight off the hips.
  8. At the top of the shoulder straps and toward the pack, are smaller straps called 'load lifters'. Grasp them and pull to your front. You will feel the weight of the pack lift up slightly and pull more snugly toward your back. This helps with center of gravity and balance. You can experiment with how snug or how loose you want to pull on the straps. On many packs, but not all, a properly adjusted load lifter strap will form a sort of 45 degree angle when viewed from the side.
  9. On some waist/hip belts there can be a small strap connected to each side of the belt. Again, pulling forward on those straps will bring the bottom of the pack closer to your back, helping with balance as you are walking.
Dave, does your advice change for those of us without framed packs? Thanks.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you cannot drink and walk don’t. If you cannot see the road from all the mud or your road turns into a stream remember Jesus walked on water. 😳
Laugh about yourself at least once a day. What I mean is your spiritual and mental equipments are as important if not more as your gear or your shoes.

ALL of the above top tips are relevant and spot-on. My contribution is to ASK...

Ask questions so you learn...they WILL be answered...
Ask for assistance if you need it...it WILL be given...
Ask for patience...it will be forthcoming...
Ask for forgiveness...it TOO will be given...

Enjoy and let us know how you are getting on.

Thinking you can do what you could do when you are 20 something and pushing yourself beyond reasonable limits is at best uncomfortable and at worst Camino ruining. Remember that the one of the main joys of the Camino is the experience so why rush it?
Most of the people I have met who pushed themselves beyond reasonable limits were 20 something. If you're young, your body has limits, too! Old and young people need to learn to listen to their bodies.

Dave, does your advice change for those of us without framed packs? Thanks.

What pack do you have ? :)

There's not really much difference. Many frameless packs do not have load lifters as part of the harness, so that would be the one major difference. Additionally some packs designed for 'hyperlight' loads will omit a waist belt as well.

The key to frameless packs is to stay below their stated weight carry, or load limit. There are some wonderfully comfortable frameless packs, but I have yet to gear test one that was comfortable to me at its stated carry specification. Most of the time, I find the sweet spot somewhere at about 80 to 90 percent of the stated spec.

The amount of padding in the belt and shoulder straps might be less than those with heavier load carry capabilities, and if that is a problem then there are add ons which can increase the padding to those areas. Also, if a load weight that one wants to carry is borderline comfortable in the backpack, there are modifications that can be tried so that it will push the pack into the 'comfortable' range :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Great thread nidarosa (Buen Camino!) and thanks to all for the top tips. I have a top tip to contribute and also a gentle reminder (which I posted in another thread a few days ago).

The top tip is to bring along a pair of rubber washing up gloves to use for washing your clothes and also for washing up in the albergue kitchens when you cook - they weigh very little and take up hardly any space. I never travel anywhere without them - they really save my hands. I've lent them to other pilgrims on a few occasions and it's been great to share them.

The gentle reminder is if you see a mop and bucket in an albergue bathroom and you see the floor is wet, take a few moments to mop the floor - it could save you and other pilgrims from slipping and sustaining an injury. This might be obvious to a lot of pilgrims, but not all - me included. I'd seen mops and buckets in albergue bathrooms over the years but it never occurred to me that the mop and bucket are there for pilgrim use until I read John Brierley's personal reflection on the subject - page 118 from the 2016 edition. Here's an excerpt from his reflection which relates to the mop and bucket - gosh I love this:

"I never considered why the mop had been left there. I presumed it was for someone else to do the cleaning. How many times have I passed a mop and bucket with the expectation that someone else would clean up after me? Is this the pilgrim way? Before enlightenment: chop wood, carry water, clean floor. After enlightenment: chop wood, carry water, clean floor. In the trivia of life one finds the meaning of Life. That I will awaken is not in doubt, but when, oh when?"

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

@JennyH94 Good point, I never dared touch them because I assumed some stern and efficient hospitaler@ had a plan with them - it never occurred to me that I was part of the plan! How camino is that ... Thanks for the gentle reminder.
In other combined top tips/gentle reminders - for pilgrims who wear a fitbit or other activity tracker, the faint light from them might be enough to let you find your way to the toilet in the night or gather your stuff in the morning without waking everybody up with a sharp light. Many of them can also be set to a silent alarm in the morning if you need it, because nobody wants to hear your mobile trying to wake you up when they want to sleep ...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@JennyH94 Good point, I never dared touch them because I assumed some stern and efficient hospitaler@ had a plan with them - it never occurred to me that I was part of the plan! How camino is that ... Thanks for the gentle reminder.
In other combined top tips/gentle reminders - for pilgrims who wear a fitbit or other activity tracker, the faint light from them might be enough to let you find your way to the toilet in the night or gather your stuff in the morning without waking everybody up with a sharp light. Many of them can also be set to a silent alarm in the morning if you need it, because nobody wants to hear your mobile trying to wake you up when they want to sleep ...
Cheers nidarosa - I know what you mean about stern and efficient hospitaleros! I've met some absolute award winners in this regard too! Hey - this could be a subject for another thread!
Gosh, I'm loving all the top tips that keep coming. Could I sneak in another top tip? If you're writing a hard copy journal, ask the hospitaleros to stamp your journal as well as your pilgrim's passport - the stamps look very beautiful in the journals and they add to your memories of that time.
Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

And please always have your pole tips pointing down, even when they are stowed on your pack. If you worry the tip will wear a hole in your side pockets, there is a simple and brilliant solution - put rubber tips on them. There are very few sections of the camino that requires a clickety-tappety metal tip on the ground, so rubber tip it and keep it pointing down so you don't take someone's eye out!

Last edited:
And please always have your poles pointing down, even when they are stowed on your pack.

Many recent packs have little slings and straps to attach poles to the outside ("trekking pole attachment points"). A quick image search can reveal what they look like - you might have them and not even know it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What pack do you have ? :)

There's not really much difference. Many frameless packs do not have load lifters as part of the harness, so that would be the one major difference. Additionally some packs designed for 'hyperlight' loads will omit a waist belt as well.

The key to frameless packs is to stay below their stated weight carry, or load limit. There are some wonderfully comfortable frameless packs, but I have yet to gear test one that was comfortable to me at its stated carry specification. Most of the time, I find the sweet spot somewhere at about 80 to 90 percent of the stated spec.

The amount of padding in the belt and shoulder straps might be less than those with heavier load carry capabilities, and if that is a problem then there are add ons which can increase the padding to those areas. Also, if a load weight that one wants to carry is borderline comfortable in the backpack, there are modifications that can be tried so that it will push the pack into the 'comfortable' range :)
I’m carrying a ULA CDT pack with an expected load weight of around 12 or 13 pounds, excluding snacks and water. The CDT pack has a suggested “weight limit” of 18 pounds. It looks like my weight should end up in the sweet spot you mention. Thanks for all your help.

I’m carrying a ULA CDT pack with an expected load weight of around 12 or 13 pounds, excluding snacks and water. The CDT pack has a suggested “weight limit” of 18 pounds. It looks like my weight should end up in the sweet spot you mention. Thanks for all your help.

You are welcome. The CDT is a good pack for that weight load.

I met a couple of Germans last October on Camino Frances who were using the CDT. and who loved the pack. I had recognized the backpack and introduced myself to them. At first I was surprised they were not Americans, but ULA has a few European distributors, and apparently has gained a bit of a following in Germany's backpacking enthusiasts community :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Don't touch the fruit and vegetables in a shop. It is not the 'done thing' in Spain. You will get told off. You ask and they will get it for you. In bigger supermarkets you have to weigh the fruit and veg yourself before you get to the counter. I forget every time!

Don't touch the fruit and vegetables in a shop. It is not the 'done thing' in Spain. You will get told off. You ask and they will get it for you. In bigger supermarkets you have to weigh the fruit and veg yourself before you get to the counter. I forget every time!
I never can figure out how to weigh the fruit and veg. in the stores where I am expected to do so. There is a number that corresponds to the product and is supposed to be written on a label, then entered into the weigh scale. This number is generally somewhere on the bin, which may also contain a price per unit number. And if I figure out how to do it, for sure the system in the next store will be different. Fortunately, the salespeople are generally very patient with pilgrims (by necessity, I suppose).
For those of you who are walking your first camino or taking a mobile phone with you for the first time, many little shops will let you pay at the till to add more money to your phone account. It helps if you keep the bill from a previous phone account payment, as there is a number which the cashier needs to process this charge.

I never can figure out how to weigh the fruit and veg. in the stores where I am expected to do so.
And in some stores they weigh it for you at the cash register. I remember spending a bit of time looking for the scale at one store before I was told that the cashier would do it.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I never can figure out how to weigh the fruit and veg. in the stores where I am expected to do so. There is a number that corresponds to the product and is supposed to be written on a label, then entered into the weigh scale. This number is generally somewhere on the bin, which may also contain a price per unit number. And if I figure out how to do it, for sure the system in the next store will be different. Fortunately, the salespeople are generally very patient with pilgrims (by necessity, I suppose).
For those of you who are walking your first camino or taking a mobile phone with you for the first time, many little shops will let you pay at the till to add more money to your phone account. It helps if you keep the bill from a previous phone account payment, as there is a number which the cashier needs to process this charge.

Yes it is a bit complicated. Put the banana in a bag, remember the number written (somewhere) near that banana. Then find the scales (possibly other side of shop). Put banana on scales, press in the number remembered. Stick sticker that is produced on to bag. Go and pay at till. Then you want to buy six different veg/fruit, that is a lot of numbers to remember, though there may be a little chart near the weigh thingy with little pictograms to help you out. Of course I always forget after I have got to the till.....

And in some stores they weigh it for you at the cash register. I remember spending a bit of time looking for the scale at one store before I was told that the cashier would do it.

Yes, and when I DO remember there is no need! All good fun!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
One thing that got me on my first Camino was smoking. I am a dirty smoker, sorry. Anyway at home (England) I can buy smokes in virtually any shop when that shop is open. Not so in Spain (and France). You need to go to a Tabac. They only open for a few hours in the morning and a few in the evening, odds on closed when you are passing through. Thats in towns, small villages never have a Tabac. They may or may not have a bar with an (expensive) cigarette machine but I smoke roll ups. I wish I knew this in advance.

On the Camino Frances, for instance, there is a drought between Belarado all the way to Burgos (There is a cigarette machine in Villafranca but not on the camino, and a cigarette machine in Atapuerca when leaving the village, but no Tabacs). I always now carry at least three packets of tabacco, one smoking, one reserve and one to donate to a fellow dirty smokers in distress. (On the VDLP it is worse, I carried SIX pouches of tobacco, most of it for giving away).

Also if you smoke roll ups it may be worth taking your own supply of rizla. Tobacco is cheap but rizla is really expensive (sometimes 1.50 Euro's)!

Davey

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Davey... I feel your pain. And I am not being sarcastic. There are those who consider me a skinbag of bad habits held together with caffeine/nicotine glue.

B

It is not good when told in a little French village that the next Tabac is over 40km away! I just wish I knew beforehand so I could plan ahead, hence my post.

I have on my back pack little laminated cards one with my emergency information one with a check list for the morning like: poles jacket, sheet meds, ID, meds. I hopefully have then not forgotten to put my boots on and my back pack.😉

I am a what if and worst case scenario girl.
I asked myself what would stop me from completing my Camino. Other than a broken leg.
Lost pack. -Replace with Albergue left overs , get a sarong will serve as my alternative sleeping ,towel and clothing while the one I have still on are washed wrap my meager belongings like a bed roll in it and good to go. Until found trash bag will do.
Lost boots- saw many Spanish students in regular shoes walking- get some sandals iif available.
Lost meds- have copies of prescription on my email account to print for local doc.
Lost ID - emergency’s money for the fee and address of closest consulat can be found online too.
No Money- Western Union
No cell phone- leave message home at your Albergue ora fellow pilgrim or a young one with a smart phone who well let you use it to get to your email account. So no search party is sent out.
So long list there is nothing that can’t be replaced. Or you can’t do with out.
My favorite Aussie saying: no worries.
Haha you see I am not Australian and I indulge our favorite national pastime: worrying and planning..🤪

Last edited:

Sorry, Total Newbie, Do you do this daily ?

@Nana6 Welcome! @davebugg has outlined the process you go through to fit the pack in the first place, starting with loose straps, and you repeat this pretty much every time you put the pack on - but without loosening all the straps every time. Just get into the habit of fastening the hip belt first, then checking your shoulder straps are right, then clipping the chest strap to. If you need to tighten the load lifters again, do so. You'll find almost every pack needs fine tuning now and again, or you might want to change something to make it more comfortable. Put weight in your pack and try to find the best fit, and you'll be fine - just remember the weight should be mainly on your hips and nothing should be so tight it restricts or rubs!

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes it is a bit complicated. Put the banana in a bag, remember the number written (somewhere) near that banana. Then find the scales (possibly other side of shop). Put banana on scales, press in the number remembered. Stick sticker that is produced on to bag. Go and pay at till. Then you want to buy six different veg/fruit, that is a lot of numbers to remember, though there may be a little chart near the weigh thingy with little pictograms to help you out. Of course I always forget after I have got to the till.....
Ummm . . . why are you putting a banana in a bag? Bananas come with their own protective cover. May I gently suggest that you put the price sticker directly on the banana, and other fruit as well.

Please get yourself and your pack completely ready to go the night before, so in the morning, you can just slip on your pants, grab your sleeping bag/bedding, grab your pack and slip quietly out of the room to an outer room, to finish getting ready to go. No turning on room lights, bright flashlights, rustling loud plastic bags or talking loudly. Please show respect to your fellow exhausted and hopefully still sleeping pilgrims. I tried to make sure everything was packed and ready to go and my clothes were left sitting on my back pack. I just slipped into my pants, grabbed my stuff and left the room.( I messed up a few times) I leave on April 25th for another round of this. I will try to follow my own advice, so I won't be the one talked about later in the day!
Oh yes I totally agree with this tip. Means so much. Especially when I had been o. The camino for awhile. Buen camino everyone.

My best all-round travel tip (which I learned on my first camino) is to carry a BAR of laundry soap. This is a biggish bar of mild soap, often yellow, often mildly lemon-scented, that you can use as a laundry soap AND a bath soap. So no laundry powders or liquids to spill, no body wash. In Canada you can buy Sunlight Soap in just about any supermarket & I have found it's available in one form or another in many other countries as well. Just be sure when you ask for something like it in Spain, you ask for "jabon para la ropa" and not "sopa por la ropa". If you ask for "sopa" the salesclerk will wonder why on earth you want to wash your clothes with soup. :-0

Laundry soap
There are very inexpensive laundry hand wash tablets in the stores in Spain cost about 59 cents. They come in roles of ca 5 and are made for hand wash your cloths. That what people in Spain use who don’t own a washer.

I KNOW this. However, every time, I find myself wanting to know if my new shoe-sock-whatever system is actually effective. I cannot resist testing it by not applying tape in advance of blisters. Isn't there a phrase about this failure to learn?
Wilfull stupidity maybe?🤔

View attachment 54700
In regard to you first paragraph, I would like to suggest to leave some room for your own discovery....TMI has a way of creating unrealistic expectations....just a thought. Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@movinmaggie Absolutely! I learned a lot from my early walks - take fewer things and expectations, and more time and photos - but mostly that there was a lot I hadn't thought of. Some small practical (and impractical) tips can only be a good thing though, and I love seeing what others have figured out that I haven't.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Sorry, Total Newbie, Do you do this daily ?

I can imagine not being familiar with a backpack and reading the description of putting it on and adjusting it for comfort and function. It LOOKS like a long process as you read the text. But, it not only becomes second nature with a bit of practice, it only takes less than 15 seconds to do EVERYTHING, and then to make sure it still feels good. :)

Like everything else that makes up a system that one needs to learn, practice putting on and taking off a backpack will make it a piece of cake to do quickly and efficiently. Keep in mind that if you've never worn a backpack, you are also getting used to just wearing one. It takes time to make things feel 'normal'.

The first thing to remember is that adjusting a pack is not a 'set and forget' static adjustment. It is a dynamic process that is done periodically -- and is almost second nature -- as you are walking during the day.

As you walk, the backpack will settle and shift a bit on your body. It does this because you and it are both moving and swaying and bouncing along at the same time, and sometimes in different directions :). The contents inside the pack will also be slightly in motion. Now these are not huge movements, nor is the movement of the backpack even noticeable. But it is constantly happening.

This means, in effect, that how the pack sits on your shoulders and hips when you first put on your pack and adjusted it, will change as you walk. It isn't a matter of how tightly one loads the pack to reduce movement, or how much compression one applies to cinch down the contents of the body of the pack bag.

So you will find yourself periodically adjusting the tension on the shoulder harness and hipbelt throughout the day to compensate for shifting loads and wanting to take a bit of pressure off of shoulders or hips.

Why do the entire adjustment the first time you put your pack in the morning?

At the end of a day when you are no longer walking with the backpack it is a good idea to loosen all of the straps a bit. Of course loosening the shoulder harness and waist belt make it easier to remove the pack, and then later make it easy to put back on and get the best adjustment for the new day.

But loosening the load lifters should be done, too. You will be emptying your backpack at night, and then repacking and reorganizing by next morning. This might affect the adjustment of the load lifters.

Once on the trail or road, the main focus is on the shoulder straps and hip belt, and even the connecting strap (you might want to adjust it a bit to have the width of the shoulder straps lie on different places on your shoulder girdle). During rest breaks or meals when you stop and remove your pack, just loosen the shoulder and hipbelt straps. And then adjust them when you put the pack on again.

Why do that? Technically you don't have to, but it is much easier in the long run.

Imagine a pair of pants with a belt. Once the pants are on, you then tension the belt to where it will hold your pants as you need to. How difficult would it be to then remove your pants once the belt is tight? How difficult would it be to put them back on with your belt already fastened? Even if you managed to get your pants back on with the tightened belt, would the belt be in exactly the best place for comfort and performance, or would it be keeping the pants in a less than ideal spot for comfort and performance?

During the day there is not much need to deal with the load lifters, although I find myself sometimes making small adjustments in order to better center the gravity of the pack to my body. The primary focus will be just on the shoulder straps and waist belt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Book more time then you think it will take to walk your Camino. Then you are ready if things take longer than expected, if you have to rest a few days with tendonitis or something, and you won't find yourself needing to race to Santiago. There is plenty to see in Santiago and Spain with any leftover days if nothing goes wrong and it only took as long as you thought it would.

Last edited:
Book more time then you think it will take to walk your Camino. Then you are ready if things take longer than expected, if you have to rest a few days with tendonitis or something, and you wont find yourself needing to race to Santiago. There is plenty to see in Santiago and Spain with any leftover days if nothing goes wrong and it took as long as you thought it would.

I agree so much with this. Most people I meet who have to abandon their camino due to injury say it was because they were running out of time and tried to race ahead. Book extra time or start closer to Santiago. If all goes well then you can relax for a while n Santiago or walk to Finisterre/Muxia.

Great thread !!

1. On your locked phone screen make the wallpaper a screen shot your email contact and emergency contact details ie email. So if you lose your phone your email is shown so whoever finds your phone they can make contact with you by email and also have your ICE (In Case of Emergency) contact person details on the screen too, so for example if you suffer a medical event your ICE details are there.

2. Keep your medical information uptodate on your phone. On iphones and I assume androids too, a person can access your medical information details even though your phone is locked by touching "emergency" on your locked screen. It's on the bottom left of a locked iphone.

3. I always take a very small (about 50mls) pump spray bottle of rubbing alcohol. I use this to clean my hands before dealing this blisters and spray it on blisters and needles etc. It also comes in handy to freshen up clothes if you haven't had a chance to wash them. You can buy this alcohol is virtually every grocery type store in spain and of course in pharmacies.

4. Photograph credit cards, debit cards, passport, travel tickets etc. Keep the photos in your phone but also email them to yourself too.

Book more time then you think it will take to walk your Camino. Then you are ready if things take longer than expected, if you have to rest a few days with tendonitis or something, and you wont find yourself needing to race to Santiago. There is plenty to see in Santiago and Spain with any leftover days if nothing goes wrong and it took as long as you thought it would.
I just added 5 days to my trip so that I won't feel pressured. And I'm sure that if I have extra time that I can find something to do in Spain or Portugal. 😊

€149,-
Totally second this - had heat stroke when I pushed too far one leg and the crazy, new to the Camino (around Sarria) peregrine family that was leaving early the next morning were completely unorganized and disruptive! The guy above me woke very early and I only heard him get down from the bunk grab his pack and leave! Get organized the night before please and be respectful of others - you never know what issues they are having !

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I can imagine not being familiar with a backpack and reading the description of putting it on and adjusting it for comfort and function. It LOOKS like a long process as you read the text. But, it not only becomes second nature with a bit of practice, it only takes less than 15 seconds to do EVERYTHING, and then to make sure it still feels good. :)

Like everything else that makes up a system that one needs to learn, practice putting on and taking off a backpack will make it a piece of cake to do quickly and efficiently. Keep in mind that if you've never worn a backpack, you are also getting used to just wearing one. It takes time to make things feel 'normal'.

The first thing to remember is that adjusting a pack is not a 'set and forget' static adjustment. It is a dynamic process that is done periodically -- and is almost second nature -- as you are walking during the day.

As you walk, the backpack will settle and shift a bit on your body. It does this because you and it are both moving and swaying and bouncing along at the same time, and sometimes in different directions :). The contents inside the pack will also be slightly in motion. Now these are not huge movements, nor is the movement of the backpack even noticeable. But it is constantly happening.

This means, in effect, that how the pack sits on your shoulders and hips when you first put on your pack and adjusted it, will change as you walk. It isn't a matter of how tightly one loads the pack to reduce movement, or how much compression one applies to cinch down the contents of the body of the pack bag.

So you will find yourself periodically adjusting the tension on the shoulder harness and hipbelt throughout the day to compensate for shifting loads and wanting to take a bit of pressure off of shoulders or hips.

Why do the entire adjustment the first time you put your pack in the morning?

At the end of a day when you are no longer walking with the backpack it is a good idea to loosen all of the straps a bit. Of course loosening the shoulder harness and waist belt make it easier to remove the pack, and then later make it easy to put back on and get the best adjustment for the new day.

But loosening the load lifters should be done, too. You will be emptying your backpack at night, and then repacking and reorganizing by next morning. This might affect the adjustment of the load lifters.

Once on the trail or road, the main focus is on the shoulder straps and hip belt, and even the connecting strap (you might want to adjust it a bit to have the width of the shoulder straps lie on different places on your shoulder girdle). During rest breaks or meals when you stop and remove your pack, just loosen the shoulder and hipbelt straps. And then adjust them when you put the pack on again.

Why do that? Technically you don't have to, but it is much easier in the long run.

Imagine a pair of pants with a belt. Once the pants are on, you then tension the belt to where it will hold your pants as you need to. How difficult would it be to then remove your pants once the belt is tight? How difficult would it be to put them back on with your belt already fastened? Even if you managed to get your pants back on with the tightened belt, would the belt be in exactly the best place for comfort and performance, or would it be keeping the pants in a less than ideal spot for comfort and performance?

During the day there is not much need to deal with the load lifters, although I find myself sometimes making small adjustments in order to better center the gravity of the pack to my body. The primary focus will be just on the shoulder straps and waist belt.
Thank you. I haven't bought my pack yet. Much for me to learn and try

WOW, you did a better explanation than my local REI professional

make the wallpaper a screen shot your email contact and emergency contact
Brilliant idea! I usually put a photo of myself - in case I leave it behind somewhere and a pilgrim finds it, they will see my picture and hopefully recognise me or show the picture to others walking. I have also put an ICE number and my email on the screen and anyone who finds it can call that number without unlocking the phone.

And too many have their hip belt around their waist and not cradling the hip crest.

Well, I wear my pack around my waist due to a pinched sciatic nerve. The belt placed on my hips hits the trigger spot in my back. Works for me. Play around with pack placement until it is comfortable. If you can't ever get it comfortable it may not be the right pack for you.

Bring you little bags of ketchup or hot pet salt and so on for a little pep on this sandwiches.

Several people have suggested that pilgrims should give themselves extra time, in case they are delayed. I did this on my first camino, because I was inexperienced and did not know how long it would take me to walk from Saint Jean pied de Port to Santiago. I also planned for one day off a week, and then discovered that I did not want days off, although I enjoyed a three day detour to Santo Domingo de Silos. I arrived in Santiago almost two weeks ahead of my flight home and had to hang around paying for accommodation when I was personally ready to go home. I took buses to Muxia and Finesterre for variety, but felt no desire to walk after Santiago. Since then, I have realized that I walk an average of 20 km per day and that I like three days in Santiago. So I plan my walks around 20 km per day and allow for the three Santiago days. If needed, I suppose I could use these days as care time for sickness or injury, which has not happened so far. Or I could take time off for sickness then bus ahead. After having so much extra time on my first camino with no goal but to fill in time, I find that I am much happier planning closer to my expectations.

Always make sure you have a handy supply of paper tissues. Sometimes a change in diet and finding yourself many kilometers from next Albergue or Bar can lead to situations were nature demands attention. Paper tissues can have a very civilizing influence after nature has been attended to.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Always make sure you have a handy supply of paper tissues. Sometimes a change in diet and finding yourself many kilometers from next Albergue or Bar can lead to situations were nature demands attention. Paper tissues can have a very civilizing influence after nature has been attended to.
And, most importantly, the plastic bag in which to carry your used tissues to the next available rubbish (trash) bin. ;)

Having your fill of patatas fritas that come with your menús del día? Thinking you could use a few more veges? We try to remember to ask for ensalada instead of the fried potatoes. Restaurants/bars always seem happy to do that (at least here on the Norte where we are walking now). The salads are simple lettuce, tomatoes, and onions with oil and vinegar, but usually fresh good lettuce. Often good tomatoes as well.

@JennyH94 In other combined top tips/gentle reminders - for pilgrims who wear a fitbit or other activity tracker, the faint light from them might be enough to let you find your way to the toilet in the night or gather your stuff in the morning without waking everybody up with a sharp light. Many of them can also be set to a silent alarm in the morning if you need it, because nobody wants to hear your mobile trying to wake you up when they want to sleep ...
Agree, 1000% but to play Devil's Advocate - this sharply contrasts with "Remember - its YOUR Camino". Because that is precisely when the flashlights and cell phones and alarms come into the play :oops::confused:

Having your fill of patatas fritas that come with your menús del día? Thinking you could use a few more veges? We try to remember to ask for ensalada instead of the fried potatoes. Restaurants/bars always seem happy to do that (at least here on the Norte where we are walking now). The salads are simple lettuce, tomatoes, and onions with oil and vinegar, but usually fresh good lettuce. Often good tomatoes as well.
Sopa y ensalade🤗

I'm sorry to argue but as a very old backpacker who carried all my gear including food, water and tent item 2 is very wrong. It should be arms through straps pull down and out fully to tighten and pull pack up then fasten belt around middle and finally loosen straps to lower the pack onto the hips to optimum comfort position.

I'm sorry to argue but as a very old backpacker who carried all my gear including food, water and tent item 2 is very wrong. It should be arms through straps pull down and out fully to tighten and pull pack up then fasten belt around middle and finally loosen straps to lower the pack onto the hips to optimum comfort position.

Thank you for your input and desire to provide the best information for beginners on this Forum who are using a backpack for the first time. Your willingness to help is one of the reasons this Forum is such a wonderful place and resource.

I am sorry that I have to disagree, but while yours is a method that was commonly used in years past, and can certainly still be used, it is no longer the best method for getting a correct adjustment with a pack.

The way you described for adjusting a pack is a carryover from the time when external frame backpacks had rudimentary hipbelts and shoulder straps with some foam padding, and the typical backpack loads were far heavier than they are nowadays. Your stated method was practically the only way to get the backpack on and adjusted. But as I mentioned above, those recommendations are no longer the best method for getting the best adjustment from a modern generation backpack with full hipbelt and shoulder harness systems.

One of the biggest problems with the old method is that it does not allow for the best method for assuring that the hipbelt is properly positioned so the middle of the padding sits close to the top of the iliac crest of the hip bones, allowing the top and bottom edges to wrap over and around the top of the iliac crest (hip bones). You want the belt padding to sort of 'hug' the contour of the hip.

As described with the old method you mention, which frequently has the belt just sitting on top of the hipbones, many folks experienced cases of mild to moderate pinched nerves toward the lower back and numbness around the area of pressure where the belt sits on top of the hip bones. This can include temporary mild to moderate paresthesia along the skin of the upper thigh.

Additionally, doing the adjustment in the order suggested can inadvertently place too much pressure onto the shoulder girdle, and interfere with the ability to get the best fine tuning from the shoulder straps and load lifters.

I get that you have a background in backpacking, and that experience can be helpful to newbies. It may help your comfort level with my advice to be assured that my background since, the age of 6, also has a focus on back-country and wilderness backpacking, including thru hikes of the Pacific Crest Trail and Colorado trail. I have also been active in rock and ice climbing and mountaineering, including many ascents of Mt Rainier and other mountains in Washington State, a summit ascent of Denali (Mt McKinley) and several European peaks - - among others throughout the world.

I grew up in the backpacking era of those Camp Trails, Kelty, and Trailwise external frame backpacks, and 55+ pound loads for trips lasting longer than 7 days.

My background also includes being professional gear tester for a number of backpacking equipment manufacturers, and clothing and shoe companies which specialize in outdoor recreation. In a normal year, I backpack several hundred miles in the Cascades, Rockies, and Sierras. Additionally, I do provide technical advice and assistance to many beginners at workshops in various gear shops and retailers.

It may be helpful to compare my advice to that of various gear selling sites, like REI.

I do hope that my response does not sound aggressively confrontational as that is the last thing I want to have happened; it was meant only to explain the rationale for my advice and how that advice has changed over the last two decades.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I don't think your confrontational at all old chap, but I still say that my method lowers the pack into just the right place which is just as you say not on top but actually over and around the hips Snugly. Actually my best ever fitting pack was bought in the USA. I was amazed at the care given to making sure I got the right one, it was amazing. The whole process took a good hour starting with being told the more expensive pack I wanted was not right for me! Then the final move was to heat mould the waist belt around my hips. I still use it although at 80 odd sadly backpacking's out. Cheers

I don't think your confrontational at all old chap, but I still say that my method lowers the pack into just the right place which is just as you say not on top but actually over and around the hips Snugly. Actually my best ever fitting pack was bought in the USA. I was amazed at the care given to making sure I got the right one, it was amazing. The whole process took a good hour starting with being told the more expensive pack I wanted was not right for me! Then the final move was to heat mould the waist belt around my hips. I still use it although at 80 odd sadly backpacking's out. Cheers

The two major reasons for the change in the recommended method of adjusting a backpack was the recognition that:

1. Placing the hipbelt precisely into the optimum position is difficult because it is snug when it is lowered ONTO the hips. One needs to have slack in an unfastened belt in order to better locate and place it into the best location on the hips, THEN tighten and snug the belt to keep it in place. Otherwise, the weight of the pack - - with an already fastened hip belt -- will settle that weight onto the hips, rather than wrapping around the best location of the hips for spreading out the weight that is bearing down onto the hipbelt.

It is similar to the effect of tightening a trouser's belt while the pants are hiked above the waist and then trying to pull them down into the optimum position for wearing, rather than having the pants sitting in their 'normal' spot and THEN fastening the belt.

2. This then carries over to the shoulder harness, leaving the ability to fine tune it at odds with the weight of the backpack placing excessive tension from that weight onto the straps prior to final adjustment.

I, too, was skeptical when recommendations changed, but I was able to see the benefits when I transitioned into a Dana Designs backpack when the first generation of today's shoulder harness and hipbelt systems started making their way into backpack construction.

Your experience with getting fitted with a backpack, and how much time I have spent with beginner's in fitting them with backpacks, is exactly why I focus on the specific steps for adjustment. After the time investment in getting a great fitting backpack, I want the user to get the full benefit of that backpack's fit.

The interesting thing nowadays is that the process of fitting the current generation of backpacks has become far easier for someone to do themselves, especially with instructional videos on manufacturer's and retailer's websites. Most of the interaction by me, for those who decide to DIY their backpack fitting, tends more toward helping someone identify the typical small issues, that are largely not noticed at first by a newbie backpack wearer, before those small issues become an aggravation.

Agree, 1000% but to play Devil's Advocate - this sharply contrasts with "Remember - its YOUR Camino".
--sigh-- Now, I will be Devil's Advocate...👿👺 That doesn't "sharply contrast." The suggestion that one should walk their "own camino" is a brief way to describe a perfectly reasonable concept - that an individual should walk the Camino for their own reasons and to a large degree in a manner of their own choice. Here on the forum, I think I read the phrase most often by people making sarcastic remarks about entitled people, and the rest of the time it used in the reasonable way. I virtually never find it used in an entitled way although I understand it could happen. It just gets tiresome to hear the suggestion that it normally means something silly and patently inconsiderate.

@C clearly Well... OF COURSE I understand that "your camino" as a suggestion implies exactly what you are saying. Chances are, it is for most of the time is used in 'reasonable way'.
However (Devil's Advocate 2 - your's does not count since your PoV is more 'angelic' than 'devilish' mimes notwithstanding - and I mean it SINCERELY!) it takes only 1 rotten apple to spoil the barrel.
I cannot speak from personal experience as I am still a long way from walking "my" Camino, but I read enough posts on the Forum (some in this tread) suggesting that unfortunately some people simply never learn no matter what and make it harder for the rest. Using "all" hot water, shining bright lights into people's faces and\or noisily packing at 5:00 am or earlier, trying to get into albergues after closing hours and making drunk noises while at it....
I saw a video posted on YouTube where a person was "coaching", if you will, the viewers on how to have a 'wonderful' experience on the Camino and shortly after the discussed "Your Camino Your Way" got into "did you know you can send your luggage ahead?" thingy with a full implication of "what kind of an idiot would walk with a whole backpack when you don't have to? - it is much pleasant to have just a small daypack"....
Yes that implication was quite evident....I am sure there are more various instances.
I think that those who feel that 'they are entitled' do misunderstand (or chose to interpret the way it suits them) the 'your camino' phrase (and since I also believe that the number is slowly increasing - we might be getting more and more of that generally undesired behavior) ...

Long long time ago (in a Galaxy far far away) when cruises were quite different from what they have become now-a-days... in some way the beginning of the trend was showing its head. it wasn't "my Camino" but it was "my Vacation" (as in It is MY vacation therefore I shall do WHATEVER....). And so on one of these cruises 2 things stood in mind:
1. A man walked into a dining room on a suggested formal night wearing a vest over his naked torso :eek:
2. On a Grand Buffet Night (some here may remember what this is...partly as in chocolate GALORE! ;)) it was customary to let the passengers into the dining room about 1-2 hours prior to the seating so pictures could be taken and for just simply marveling at these culinary creations (Remember - Food network does not exists!) Anyways, 2 young mid/upper 20-something women were right in front of us and at one point one exclaimed - "HERE! Take my picture" and gave her camera to her friend. However the next thing out of her mouth was "Hold on for a sec" at which point she proceeded to pull a comb out of her purse and started brushing her long hair (its her vacation and she had to be pretty\stunning\gorgeous for that picture). The fact that her hair was now all over the dishes on the table next to her and that some people would be eating them in a short while did not even entered her mind...
...And so it goes...
I most definitely do not want to start some argument, simply because that is not what i am looking for and for the majority of the facts your point is quite correct. I only hope that you can see mine where, as I said, it only take a small minute minority to mess things up for a lot of other people, that these moments do exist and those "I do not care for anyone but me" people exist as well (else this tread and lots of posts in it...and many other similar topics would be here).

in re: "my" Camino: I hereby profusely apologize and ask (nay BEG!) forgiveness of those poor-unfortunate souls that will be stuck with me in the same room since I am (GASP! 😱😴) a snorer! I know that and I do use (and obviously plan to take with me) things to prevent me from it. Sometimes - it is simply not enough.... I would offer to buy everyone a beer if I do snore on a given night but..with my luck it will happen in Roncesvalles with the albergue being full to the hilt and...can I be COMPLETELY SURE that I DID snore.... or did everyone remembered this post? 🍺 😇🤔

And with that - I wish everyone a MUCHO BUEN ("THEIR") CAMINO!!! 👋

(Devil's Advocate 2 - your's does not count since your PoV is more 'angelic' than 'devilish' mimes notwithstanding - and I mean it SINCERELY!)
In fact, when I was preparing my response, I thought about that and even googled "devil's advocate" to understand its meaning better. See how educational the forum is! 😇
I only hope that you can see mine where, as I said, it only take a small minute minority to mess things up for a lot of other people, that these moments do exist and those "I do not care for anyone but me" people exist as well (else this tread and lots of posts in it...and many other similar topics would be here).
Oh yes, I agree, and do not understand why so many people of all ages can be so oblivious to their effects on others

I do not accept the use of "it's my camino" as an excuse for bad behaviour. Now the phrase has become tainted😠.

I do not accept the use of "it's my camino" as an excuse for bad behaviour. Now the phrase has become tainted😠.
Sad thing for sure. I guess we should Rejoice in the fact that it (C) clearly 😊 means what it should "for us".
Funny thing is...reading so many other posts... I (and I am sure others) get moved to tears, learning about Camino Angels and the way Camino Provides and all those awesome acts of happening. (Insert a Jewish Accent here:) Und vy cant a Vorld be a better place I ask you? 🤔

€60,-
I think the three phrases "It's my Camino", "It's your Camino" and "Everone walks their own Camino" are very different, though they may be superficially similar. The first carries that air of entitlement that has been discussed. The second says that you don't have to listen to my advice if you don't want to. And the third recognizes that everyone's challenges and experiences will be different and tries to lead us away from judgement for that reason.

Forum newbie here, so if this isn't appropriate please me know and I will edit/delete, but I've read through this thread and wanted to express my thanks for
A) The wisdom and help everyone has so generously shared, and
B) The grace with which forum members disagree over and discuss topics. It's so rare to find an online space that so intentionally fosters respect and willingness to understand, and I think that speaks deeply of the transformative nature of the Camino.

Ok, sappy post over! ;) Back to your regularly scheduled tips and advice!

Forum newbie here, so if this isn't appropriate please me know and I will edit/delete, but I've read through this thread and wanted to express my thanks for
A) The wisdom and help everyone has so generously shared, and
B) The grace with which forum members disagree over and discuss topics. It's so rare to find an online space that so intentionally fosters respect and willingness to understand, and I think that speaks deeply of the transformative nature of the Camino.

Ok, sappy post over! ;) Back to your regularly scheduled tips and advice!
True. Love this forum

Just thought I'd start a little thread of top tips and gentle reminders for pilgrims new and old, those little things that some people might not know about or have forgotten, either because they are focusing on something else, it doesn't occur to them or it simply slips their minds in all the excitement. We have all been there! Not a thread to admonish people but to kindly help them along a bit in true camino fashion.
View attachment 54700
If I am hijacking then please forgive me. I just saw this image today, and am posting it as a reminder to us all, please let us be aware that anything we discard can hurt another creature...

Attachments

• 84F9BD33-6F01-42DA-AF9D-F8404F4856C5.jpeg
    84F9BD33-6F01-42DA-AF9D-F8404F4856C5.jpeg
    82.6 KB · Views: 12

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.