• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Top tips ... The things you found out for yourself

JaneI

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Ingles (May 2015)
I'm guessing that every peregrino finds out at least one thing along the way that they found really useful but no-one had told them before - and maybe would like to share them here. I'm talking about the odd bits of info/best kept secrets/things that never make the guide books but made a big difference as you walked/cycled/rode...

Two from me to start, both of which I found out for myself and which I thought straight away 'other people might like to know this':

- eucalyptus trees are cool. As in actually, physically, really cool, even on the hottest day, especially the young, smooth ones. And the north side of the tree is even cooler than the south side. So on a hot day when you just want to cool down, hold your hand, or your face, against the bark of a eucalyptus (they are everywhere on the Ingles - apologies if they are not around on other routes!). For the very best effect hold the inside of your wrists (your pulse points) against the bark. You'll be amazed at how much effect it has.

- the Hospederia San Martin Pinero, straight across the square from the (south?) entrance to the cathedral in SdC, quite apart from being (apparently) the oldest hotel in the world, does a fantastic 3 course evening meal for 10 euros per head including bottled water AND wine. Really simple, delicious food (only two choices per course), in a huge room full of other pilgrims, in the best tradition of Benedictine hospitality. They also do a brilliant all-you-can-eat breakfast at 5 euros a head, and lunch (didn't find out how much that was). AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE STAYING AT THE HOTEL TO EAT THERE! By far the best meals we had in our 2 days in the city, and felt so much more appropriate than eating in one of the touristy cafés. Lovely staff too (they deserve their own Compostelas just for the miles they must do up & down the dining room of an evening!)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm guessing that every peregrino finds out at least one thing along the way that they found really useful but no-one had told them before - and maybe would like to share them here. I'm talking about the odd bits of info/best kept secrets/things that never make the guide books but made a big difference as you walked/cycled/rode...

Two from me to start, both of which I found out for myself and which I thought straight away 'other people might like to know this':

- eucalyptus trees are cool. As in actually, physically, really cool, even on the hottest day, especially the young, smooth ones. And the north side of the tree is even cooler than the south side. So on a hot day when you just want to cool down, hold your hand, or your face, against the bark of a eucalyptus (they are everywhere on the Ingles - apologies if they are not around on other routes!). For the very best effect hold the inside of your wrists (your pulse points) against the bark. You'll be amazed at how much effect it has.

- the Hospederia San Martin Pinero, straight across the square from the (south?) entrance to the cathedral in SdC, quite apart from being (apparently) the oldest hotel in the world, does a fantastic 3 course evening meal for 10 euros per head including bottled water AND wine. Really simple, delicious food (only two choices per course), in a huge room full of other pilgrims, in the best tradition of Benedictine hospitality. They also do a brilliant all-you-can-eat breakfast at 5 euros a head, and lunch (didn't find out how much that was). AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE STAYING AT THE HOTEL TO EAT THERE! By far the best meals we had in our 2 days in the city, and felt so much more appropriate than eating in one of the touristy cafés. Lovely staff too (they deserve their own Compostelas just for the miles they must do up & down the dining room of an evening!)
Great things to know, I will start my 1st Camino on the May,27th. I will look for the eucalyptus trees as I may need it:)

I love your post! And I will be a little contrary...
Because the best things about what I found out for myself...was that I found out or stumbled onto them myself!
There's something truly magical about the discoveries made along the way like that...the 'ahaaaaaaaaa' experiences, the ones that required that I pay attention and open all the senses. They felt like magical little Camino secrets...like where the the stone circles are or the how beautifully healing certain streams are, or the most special albergue in the world (well, for me)...
So...;)...not telling...

[And there are great things people should know about, and that tip about San Martin Pinero in Santiago is so true!!]

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last edited:
Something not in the guide book? mmmmm ... Wax earplugs are amazing! I don't know if they are available everywhere? So much better than the little foamy things but I'm sure this is subjective and suggest they be tested prior to departure.

I have always been easily disturbed by noise at night and had seen all the posts about 'roncadores' so I would never travel anywhere without earplugs.
I woke up in Zubiri after a delicious and well earned sleep, removed one earplug and was met with a veritable symphony of snorers!!! Almost everyone else in the room of about 14 was SO loud I'm surprised they didn't wake each other? Maybe they did but I was blissfully unaware and I almost laughed out loud! That would have made me really popular!

Seriously I was so grateful for good earplugs so many times. I recommend everyone road tests before going so that you can find maximum comfort. Mine are called 'Muffles' and are from 'Boots' in the UK, one of our local pharmacies. They are little tubes of white wax that you mould to fit inside your ears, bit tricky the first couple of times,but to me they are worth their weight in gold, rest is so important when you are walking every day.

So that's my tip, sorry its nothing major but if you have comfy, effective, tested earplugs it could make all the difference.

Sarah

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Wax earplugs are amazing!
It's great to get a good night's sleep, it truly is. However, when I hear someone praising the quality of some particular ear plugs, I can't help but recall what a mischievous forum member said about getting a really good night's sleep in an albergue ........That if there was an emergency and the albergue had to be evacuated, he hoped that someone would invite him to come along.

Last edited:
It's great to get a good night's sleep, it truly is. However, when I hear someone praising the quality of some particular ear plugs, I can help but recall what a mischievous forum member said about getting a really good night's sleep in an albergue ........That if there was an emergency and the albergue had to be evacuated, he hoped that someone would invite him to come along.

Ooops didn't think of this!!! Always had a walking partner before who was aware that I couldn't hear a thing! Will need to alert someone when I go again in September. Thanks Icacos, may have saved me .....

My response is quite similar to your eucalyptus advice.
On my first Camino a member of the "family", upon entering a church always went to a stone pilar and hugged it with closed eyes. Her reasoning was staying in touch with all of her senses. It has the same cooling effect t as you mention in your post which brought back this very fond memory.
So now it looks like I will be not only a devout pilar enthusiast but a "tree hugger" as well

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Some of my Top Tips learned on my Camino:
  • Nourish yourself - Food is fuel, but also really embrace the Spanish cuisine. I am still craving the peppers, pulpo (octopus), patatas bravas and vino tinto!
  • Get as much sleep as possible - Love the wax earplug suggestions above, wish I knew about that; I could only find the sponge earplugs. But do bring two sets ... those little buggers seem to get away from you; I did lose a set.
  • Wear shoes a size bigger (not 1/2 size as I was told)... all my issues were because my feet flattened much quicker than I anticipated with the walking and weight of my pack. :) I don't think I could wear my normal shoes at home for a couple of months after my Camino!
  • Keep an open heart... You will meet some amazing people from all over the world. Some will drive you nuts :), some will be your angel for the day, some will become a friend for life!

Last edited:

We paid 12euros per person for lunch at the Hospederia.

My things would be:

Trust your own judgement! The forum is a huge help but in the end no one can tell if you need a sleeping bag or not, if the guidebook says to stay in a certain place but you think it’s not for you move on, walking 10 or 20 miles a day is your choice there’s no single rule to fit everyone, albergues are an experience but that might not be the experience you want at this point in your life! Embrace the opportunities the camino offers but trust your own judgement in the end.

If you are happy doing things a little differently rest up your feet, relax and eat the menu del dia at lunch time. Follow your relaxing lunch with a gentle stroll on an empty camino.

On a related note, if you can afford it, pay more for better food. One of my most memorable and enjoyable experiences was a meal in Leon sitting outside at a table overlooking the cathedral on a beautiful evening. (I think the meal cost E15). I looked at what the other people were eating and thought that looks really good. As I sat there lots of pilgrims with £££ iphones, £££ rucksacks, £££ boots walked past tutting at the cost. All I can say was that it was an exceptional meal with a beautiful view and well worth the 5E premium!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
...pulpo (octopus), patas bravas and vino tinto!
Agree with pulpo and vino wholeheartedly but "patas bravas" (= pins) would give me really hard time ;) I know it's a typo ("patatas")!

Get as much sleep as possible
Agree completely, only that you should try to sleep during the night not in the afternoon after starting at 4AM and finishing at 11AM. ;)

[QUOTE="Camino Concierge, post: 307378, member: 35577"]Keep an open heart... [/QUOTE]
Of course, what else??? :D

Ultreia!

I found out that it took me a full month to get used to the raised noise level of Spain. From the rattlers and loud talkers in the morning to the loud farters basooning through the open doors of the morning toilets. The loud talkers in their mobilephones on the trail talking to their deaf relatives and the lively banter in the cafés.
When at last I took my extra 4 bonus days in Bilbao after SdC and then flew home, I went to the same local tapas place to finish every day, I finally fell at ease with the noise. I could feel the noise go down, my ears plug up and my attention go round the room to all the small interaction from all and sundry around me.
I think this is when the Camino finally sank in into my head!! it has internalised....
And this is why I will come back, I miss it already....

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.