• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Toque, Gloves, Long Underwear & Backpack on Airplane

GuyA

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi,

Two unrelated topics. Due to the length of my Camino walk I will be sending supply parcels to both Le Puy en Velay (planned arrival around Sept 1st) and Saint-Jean-Pied de Port (planned arrival around Oct 1st). It seems logical to me that I could safely send a toque, gloves and long underwear to Saint -Jean-Pied de Port as on this leg I plan on walking into early November to Finisterre.

Would you agree that these items would not be necessary in September on the The Puy route?

I have been trying to find out whether it is possible to take a backpack with folded up trekking poles inside as carry on luggage. My backpack is an Osprey 48 liter pack. I have been researching this on the web and have found many many opinions. Have you tried? The thought of starting this trip off with a missing backpack is not a pleasant one!

Thanks Guy

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The backpack will depend on the carrier. They all seem to have different size and weight rules now.

The poles? I can't imagine those getting by security. They stop bottles of shampoo.

Toque, Gloves, Long Underwear & Backpack on Airplane

Why don't you keep the backpack in the cabin with you and send the poles in the hold? ( wrap in bubble wrap or a post tube that can be binned at the airport when you pick them up). That way if the poles are lost they can be replaced .

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My advice on poles: You don't say where you are from or which airline you will be traveling on. But I can tell you from numerous experiences in the US that collapsed hiking poles in a duffel bag have made it through security in Chicago, Miami, Las Vegas, San Francisco, Dallas and a few others I am probably not remembering. I have also taken them through security in Madrid in the same duffel bag (most recently in early May 2013). I used to check my poles till they were lost in transit several years ago. Now my system is to carry on my backpack and a duffel that holds little more than the poles (this way if for some reason I can't get them through security, it's easy to check them quickly). When I arrive in Spain, I send the duffel up to Santiago along with my airplane pillow. They wait for me there till I arrive, and on the way home I check the duffel with my sticks in it, to which I've added the olive oil and other goodies I buy on my last days in Santiago. Just arrived last night with four liters of olive oil in plastic bottle or tin, a bottle of a Spanish sherry brandy my husband likes, some alubias, some pimenton, and several tins of different fish/seafood. All packed in the duffel. So far, I've never had a breakage problem. Sorry, I realize I've gone a little off topic here! Hard to stay focused when you've just returned from the Camino.

Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie, can you link the particular duffle you use, please?

I use an Osprey Exos 46, and it does not fit the carry-on sizing box at Lufthansa. Also, it was over the 8 kg cabin weight limit. So, having checked the pacer poles in a cardboard box for the outbound leg, I gate-checked the pack when I left Seattle. Worked fine. On the return, I disassembled the pacer poles, put them in the pack, and checked the pack. Also worked fine.

I walked the Le Puy route twice in Sept, and it was hot as blue blazes both years. Well into the 90'sF. So long underwear, hat or gloves, extra long pants, fleece or sweater, even a sleeping bag, are not needed on the Le Puy section (You will need a hostel-type sleep sack though).

I just booked a flight with Easyjet. Walking poles are on the banned list. It's unlikely this isn't EU wide.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.