• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Torn, 200km done, 1OO ish to go Blisters not healing

Karen2017

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon to Santiago May 2017
Hi everyone, I am torn. We started in Leon just under 2 weeks ago and soon after got blisters on both feet from new orthotics for PF. Tape, bandaids/dressing (ect.) , removed orthotics ( a lot better) and have just been putting up with it though still getting new blisters. Yesterday we stuffed up and took a wrong turn so O'Cebrerio to Samos took 35.6 km (8.5hrs), today we walked into Sarria a measly 12km and my feet and I have had enough. We are on distance deadlines each day with 22,25,28 km days (never again). Not sleeping due to aching is not helping, Thoughts and suggestions welcome. (Five days walking to go) Hubby is fine with no blisters.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Would your husband be okay walking solo if you take a few days off?
You could taxi it bus the daily stages and meet up with him in the afternoons.
It sounds like you really need to give your feet time to heal.
Hi Trecile, I think this may be the way we will need to approach this, Hubby just suggested this to me also. Thank you

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You say 'tape bandaids/dressings etc', have you tried Compeeds? I get awful blisters but I use Compeeds (sometimes several built up in layers) with 3M micropore tape over the top.
On some I used the comped but they just kept filling up underneath ??, the competed ended up rolling then rippping the top. Half are 70% dry but get all soggy again.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
OK a lot of people don't use them right. I am gonna be a bit gross here so brace yourself!

Ideally you leave compeed on 2 or 3 days, the gel will swell up and go pale as it absorbs the fluid. This is good, as long as the soggy gel does not burst out of the compeed or spread over so much of the compeed that they lose their grip on the skin and roll up or move (sounds like that was what you experienced). If that is happening, you may need to change them every day, and/or build up several to cover the area (you can overlap them).

When you remove a compeed there is the high risk that it will tear the skin off the blister. To stop that happening, have a very clean little pair of nail scissors handy. Start by carefully pulling the compeed back off the good skin, until you get to the soggy sticky gel. Then cut the compeed off bit by bit with the scissors, leaving the last bit of the gel stuck to the blister. That way you don't force and pull it off. Leave that last thin layer of gel. You can then put a new one over the top. I secure them with 3M Micropore (a very soft paper tape) to stop the edges sticking to my socks and peeling up. I cover the whole thing and more, to protect the whole area. I also use Micropore on areas I think might be about to blister. Sometimes I remove all or part of the Micropore if it's getting messed up, and replace it, but keep the compeed underneath on longer.

I do drain blisters with a sterilised needle if they are very big and I can feel the pressure of the fluid, but I don't believe in threading (dirty and gross). If you leave compeeds on for 2 or 3 days, keep an eye on them - redness spreading out would indicate infection.

I don't use Iodine or Betidine, as I think over use damages the skin, if I want to clean up blisters I buy a kilo of salt and make a soak. I have had an infected blister, and I went to the doctors and got oral antibiotics.

Sometimes my feet look like something out of The Mummy, but they don't hurt and I can carry on.

Last edited:
Blisters are burns. Your feet are getting too hot and sweat. Your feet soften because they are wet. Friction between skin, sock, and boot get exacerbated.

Figure out how to keep your feet drier and cooler.

Consider wearing sandals.

Transportation options from Sarria to Palas de Rei are limited ... if there is bus service along the camino its once per day. There is more frequent service if you travel via Lugo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Karen, if you don't want to take a taxi, there's a train from Sarria to Santiago with a short connection in Ourense. Might be easier to taxi door-to-door though with blisters. You could sit on the Plaza Cervantes and watch your husband arrive on foot. There are several excellent museums in Santiago and if you like gazpacho, go to Bierzo Enxebre. I hope things are less painful soon with some rest and foot care.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just for future reference, as relayed to us by two nurses from Ireland who've said they have never had blisters and they have trekked many, many thousands for miles all over the world. First thing they said is to wear socks made from synthetic materials (not thick ones), second thing and maybe the most important is to apply a thin coating of vasoline (vasolina) on your feet every morning before your socks are put on. Having had blood blisters on the outside of my heels(wife too) the first week -10days, we started following their advice. I almost forgot about the the blister that went all the way across the ball of my foot. No more blisters or any foot problems of that nature at all after following their advice . The taxi idea is a good one, allows you heal up !
Buen Camino ! :)

On some I used the comped but they just kept filling up underneath ??, the competed ended up rolling then rippping the top. Half are 70% dry but get all soggy again.
In 2014 I met a New Zeland girl who walked first day from SJPDP in new boots.She was a marathon runner but did not break her boots in.At end of day one she had terrible blisters,but determined to continue she was given some Compeed by another Pilgrim,who failed to warn her not to ""remove" UNTIL it came off itself.At end of day two she removed all the skin with the Compeed and walked the next few days in flipflops.Her courage and willpower were incredible,but be aware of the way to use Compeed.

Another suggestion . Get your pack transported. This way you are relieving your feet of that extra weight. See a podiatrist if you can and get the blisters treated professionally.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Karen, I vote with the taxi-ahead group. If you are losing sleep because of pain your feet are in tough shape and need time to heal.

Your feet sound a lot like mine did after 12 days of walking, massive blisters and swelling and soreness that made each step worse than the last. Plus, I had been overcompensating so much for pain that I damaged my knee on top of it and ended up unable to walk without a cane for over a week. :confused: This is not worth it.

I taxied our last 2 days (had always planned only 14 nights) and they turned out to be real blessings. I had a chance to reflect on my journey without being consumed by pain, and was able to rest up and give my body a chance to start healing instead of expending all my energy on continuing to walk.

Plus, I got to greet dozens of pilgrims passing by the bar where I parked myself til my DH arrived. Fun.

The taxi was a bit pricey, but worth every cent. And on day two I found a fellow injured peregrino to share with, so that helped lower the cost and increase the camaraderie.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you!

Last edited:
OK a lot of people don't use them right. I am gonna be a bit gross here so brace yourself!

Ideally you leave compeed on 2 or 3 days, the gel will swell up and go pale as it absorbs the fluid. This is good, as long as the soggy gel does not burst out of the compeed or spread over so much of the compeed that they lose their grip on the skin and roll up or move (sounds like that was what you experienced). If that is happening, you may need to change them every day, and/or build up several to cover the area (you can overlap them).

When you remove a compeed there is the high risk that it will tear the skin off the blister. To stop that happening, have a very clean little pair of nail scissors handy. Start by carefully pulling the compeed back off the good skin, until you get to the soggy sticky gel. Then cut the compeed off bit by bit with the scissors, leaving the very last bit of the gel stuck to the blister. That way you don't force and pull it off. Leave that last thin layer of gel. You can then put a new one over the top. I secure them with 3M Micropore (a very soft paper tape) to stop the edges sticking to my socks and peeling up. I cover the whole thing and more, to protect the whole area. I also use Micropore on areas I think might be about to blister. Sometimes I remove all or part of the Micropore if it's getting messed up, and replace it, but keep the compeed underneath on longer.

I do drain blisters with a sterilised needle if they are very big and I can feel the pressure of the fluid, but I don't believe in threading (dirty and gross). If you leave compeeds on for 2 or 3 days, keep an eye on them - redness spreading out would indicate infection.

I don't use Iodine or Betidine, as I think over use damages the skin, if I want to clean up blisters I buy a kilo of salt and make a soak. I have had an infected blister, and I went to the doctors and got oral antibiotics.

Sometimes my feet look like something out of The Mummy, but they don't hurt and I can carry on.
Thank you, If I can stop them hurting I can go on.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Karen, I vote with the taxi-ahead group. If you are losing sleep because of pain your feet are in tough shape and need time to heal.

Your feet sound a lot like mine did after 12 days of walking, massive blisters and swelling and soreness that made each step worse than the last. Plus, I had been overcompensating so much for pain that I damaged my knee on top of it and ended up unable to walk without a cane for over a week. :confused: This is not worth it.

I taxied our last 2 days (had always planned only 14 nights) and they turned out to be real blessings. I had a chance to reflect on my journey without being consumed by pain, and was able to rest up and give my body a chance to start healing instead of expending all my energy on continuing to walk.

Plus, I got to greet dozens of pilgrims passing by the bar where I parked myself til my DH arrived. Fun.

The taxi was a bit pricey, but worth every cent. And on day two I found a fellow injured peregrino to share with, so that helped lower the cost and increase the camaraderie.

Whatever you decide, good luck to you!
Thanks Bala, definitely altering my gait which is throwing my hips out. Taxi is looking better and better for a day or two.

I think it depends on what areas and percentage of your feet is blistered, how deep the blisters are, and so if it's feasible to reliably compeed and tape all those areas so that walking isn't painful. Sometimes blisters in awkward places can be impossible to dress effectively. I sometimes even get blisters that creep under my toe nails! But if you can achieve a full compeed and micropore coverage and get it to stay on reliably, in my experience this can be quite amazingly not painful, considering the war zone under the dressings.

Let us know how you get on what ever you decide xxx

Hi everyone, I am torn. We started in Leon just under 2 weeks ago and soon after got blisters on both feet from new orthotics for PF. Tape, bandaids/dressing (ect.) , removed orthotics ( a lot better) and have just been putting up with it though still getting new blisters. Yesterday we stuffed up and took a wrong turn so O'Cebrerio to Samos took 35.6 km (8.5hrs), today we walked into Sarria a measly 12km and my feet and I have had enough. We are on distance deadlines each day with 22,25,28 km days (never again). Not sleeping due to aching is not helping, Thoughts and suggestions welcome. (Five days walking to go) Hubby is fine with no blisters.

Karen
Not sure if you can get this where you are but I used to get blisters on the hands from rowing and methylated spirits really helped. It stings like hell but did the trick and toughened the skin

For areas not blistered to prevent ... I also vote for Vaseline from chemist .... once I got into this I would never go without .....

Even if you stop the pain you need to rest your feet !!!! For a few days .

I tried compeed on a blister as a couple of people says they used it and it worked ... however notion 900s post above really explains it so well .... I did not have that full description at the time and so worried when compeed turned white and carefully removed and then use nonstick dressing .... it did heal ..

Were the orthotics hard plastic? I had PF and find the softer gel or foam inner soles with GOOD arch support work well. You might find walking in bare feet or in shoes without arch support is exacerbating your PF.

I really hope your blisters heal quickly for you. Lots of air and salt water baths may help but only if you can rest and don't bandage them at all for a few days.

So disappointing for you. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

I swear by moleskin over compede. I take any wrapping off when the days walk is completed to allow some dry out time. If you haven't done this yet, find an experienced pilgrim and ask them to take a look. They may have unique applications or advice.

PS. If they offer to treat your blisters don't watch them:confused:
Buen Camino y Ultriea (sp...I never get it right)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
On one Camino stage I had blisters beneath toe nails, really painful. Spanish podiatrist treated them and told me to buy walking sandals. I did and this really helped. Also she prescribed a lotion but did not cover the blisters in anyway. I wore sandals and socks to stop the dirt getting to the blisters . Returning to walk later stages I had my rucksack transported and never again had blisters.

So disappointing for you.

I decided to turn my thinking around when I got blisters and see them as a tool for learning . That way I didn't feel sorry fir myself :)
What did I learn ?
* listen to my body and be observant
* my feet are important and not to be neglected
* stay in the moment and deal with it
* blisters are a great way to empty mind of other rubbish
* listen to all advice then use own common sense to find what works
* suffer in silence :D yes really .... I personally found if no one was around I had NOONE to whinge to so I just got on with it .... that may not work for everyone but I found it interesting
* there is a lesson to be learnt in EVERY Situation :rolleyes:.... like it or not
* Ultreia my most favourite Spanish word :cool:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Karen, by experience, you may try to find some Plantain https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantago#/media/File:Plantago_major.jpg get a leaf or two, chew them up and bandage the goo over the blisters. Plantain is super to drain the fluid and help to heal from inside out. If by any misfortune the blisters happen to burst, try chewing up and doing the same with Yarrow. It might help, specialy since both plants are ubiqtuous in the spanish countryside. I also agree with the others.....try having your backpack transported if you can. There's no shame in doing that when you're sick.

Hi Karen,
I enjoyed the CF last year and am doing it again this year but did have significant blisters. I threaded them on the advice of a serious walker ie he had done the CF 9 times. But I was careful with keeping them clean. I sprayed alcohol over the area and the threads and my hands often. This worked for me but there are many people against this due to the real possibility of infection, which I can understand. You can buy alcohol in most grocery stores on the Way and I bought 2 very small spray bottles which I filled up rather than carry the whole bottle of alcohol with me.
But the other thing that helped me was ibuprofen, it took me about 5 days with multiple blisters to resort to drugs but it was good choice.

I decided to turn my thinking around when I got blisters and see them as a tool for learning . That way I didn't feel sorry fir myself :)
What did I learn ?
* listen to my body and be observant
* my feet are important and not to be neglected
* stay in the moment and deal with it
* blisters are a great way to empty mind of other rubbish
* listen to all advice then use own common sense to find what works
* suffer in silence :D yes really .... I personally found if no one was around I had NOONE to whinge to so I just got on with it .... that may not work for everyone but I found it interesting
* there is a lesson to be learnt in EVERY Situation :rolleyes:.... like it or not
* Ultreia my most favourite Spanish word :cool:

:);):)

Very, very nice!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My cure was the iodine. The blisters were drained with little triangles cut out to drain the fluid, leave the skin on and soaked with the iodine.

Of course, when getting medical advise from a bunch of pilgrims on a forum, always add common sense!

It worked for me. Good luck and Buen Camino!

For blisters, Compeed really worked for me. Hope it does for you, too. Buen camino to you and your husband.

A young walker (22ish) at Portomarin was seen using a syringe to drain his awful blisters. He'd walked the whole route from SJPP and his feet had never acclimatised! We suggested buying some different shoes /sandals but he said that it wasn't worth it, he only had 5 more days to go.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
@notion900 provided some good advice on the removal of compeed ... it can be very harmful if not used correctly. @poogeyejr also gave some good advice on blister draining if needed. Cut a big enough hole in the blister to allow it to continue to drain and not close up again. Using a needle usually allows the blister to seal back up and swell. Just make sure to keep them clean and air dry as much as possible. Betadine or providine-iodine is a good disinfectant. You could make a diluted solution to soak your feet by putting a prep pad into some water with salts.

As far as the foot pain, have you tried the Spanish version of Voltaren (Voltarin Forte) on the remaining parts of your feet? It should help alleviate some of the pain. In addition, there is vitamin I (buprofen).

Lastly, try to determine the root cause of the blisters. Is there something in your shoe or boot that is irritating (use an engo patch, feminine pad, duct tape etc.)? Are you wearing waterproof shoes or boots (they may not be breathing, consider changing them out, changing socks often)? Are the shoes or boots to tight (loosen the laces, switch them out). Are the shoes or boots to loose (lace them differently to stabilize your feet, lots of videos on youtube)? Can you wear 2 pair of socks (introduce a thin liner) to transfer the friction between the socks rather than between your sock and foot? Can you elevate your feet when you stop for 20 minutes (let gravity work), take off your socks and let those puppies breathe an dry out?

Buena Suerte!

The Camino is great but not worth torturing yourself for.
Take a taxi, get well and come back and do it again in the future - I mean, look how much knowledge you've gained!
Be brave.

Thanks for the reminder, Jeff, that sometimes "being brave" is letting yourself stop sometimes. That's a nice insight. And I'm not saying this, Karen, to passive-aggressively tell you what to do :)! We all wish you the best, whether you can finish this time around or whether you come back again to finish. I'm sure it's so disappointing to be sidetracked this way, but hopefully you can see that you are not alone. Take care, big hugs!
Faith

Thanks everyone, I have always been double socking, boots were perfect until the orthotics . Have been draining the blisters but obviously they can't breathe in my boots. Current plan is I walk alternate days possibly, so rest, walk, rest, walk, walk. I am happy with what I have achieved/ learnt ect too the point of If I don't walk into Santiago de Compostela it is all good.

Thanks everyone, I have always been double socking, boots were perfect until the orthotics . Have been draining the blisters but obviously they can't breathe in my boots. Current plan is I walk alternate days possibly, so rest, walk, rest, walk, walk. I am happy with what I have achieved/ learnt ect too the point of If I don't walk into Santiago de Compostela it is all good.

Great to hear it, Karen! May I sugest getting a set of flipflops and resting with your feet in those? It usually helps since it allows your feet to breathe and dry out during rest days.

Maybe you can buy some sandals that you can walk in.
Last year I met some young women who had just finished their first day from Sarria. As I was the old "pro" they asked my opinion on what to do about blisters. They had been walking in boots, but I noticed that they were all wearing Keen sandals in the evening. I suggested that they simply wear the Keens to walk in. When I saw them again after the end of the next day they, and their feet were happy.

It sounds like you have a plan! One thing I did not see mentioned in this thread that really helped me is changing up the insoles of my shoes when my feet started hurting. I bought a couple different versions (size, material) of insoles at a Farmacia and switched them out when things got painful.

The change of "scenery" for my feet (just a slight change in positioning) was instant relief, and insoles are lighter than carrying a second pair of shoes. Also, Second Skin was great for blisters - I think it is either the same or similar to compeed, however, I never had any issues with it removing any skin so I think it must be slightly different.

Thanks for posting this thread; I found all of the information very helpful.
Best of luck to you. Buen Camino!

Last edited:

Hi Karen-- I feel your pain! I remember it clearly.

I got blisters from shoes that were too small. I thought they fit perfectly before I started -- but I hadn't taken into consideration that my feet swell a lot more after 6 hours of walking than they did in my pre-camino hikes of 3 hours. Also, as I walked my feet got more muscular and thus bigger. I had horrible blisters and my toes were squashed. --So-- consider buying new shoes if you can find some. I deeply regret not buying new shoes in either Leon or Astorga. Pull out the insert of your shoes and place your foot on them. If your foot overlaps the insert, your shoe is too small. -- You might look at mens' shoes (wider, with a larger toe box), or just wear sandals (tevas if you can find them), while your feet heal.

I threaded my blisters overnight, and they seemed to heal better than just draining the blister once before bed and then again in the morning. It you don't know what threading is, reply to this post and I'll explain in detail.

Make sure you change the bandaids/compeeds regularly. I used compeed and found they really helped. I also had moleskin with me, and built up a wall around the blisters to keep them from rubbing against the shoe. (Unfortunately, with my feet being too big for my shoes, this created other blisters and the padding pushed my feet into the shoe in other places.)

I took a lot of motrin while walking. I took it before I went to bed, and left two next to my bed so I could take it in the middle of the night because my feet were hurting so much I'd wake up.

Also! Soak your feet in water with betadine or some other antibacterial solution before you go to bed. :(

And Take Heart! Your feet will be so strong from now on they'll touch the ground differently!

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It sounds like you have a plan! One thing I did not see mentioned in this thread that really helped me is changing up the insoles of my shoes when my feet started hurting. I bought a couple different versions (size, material) of insoles at a Farmacia and switched them out when things got painful.

The change of "scenery" for my feet (just a slight change in positioning) was instant relief, and insoles are lighter than carrying a second pair of shoes.

Great tip! I'd never heard of doing that before. Would you remove the original insole from your shoes, then? Or just put the farmacia insoles on top of the originals?

Good advice here... can I just add that if the pain is preventing you from sleeping, the pharmacists are really good and can give you some stronger pain relief, maybe a codeine paracetamol combo, which will hopefully take the edge off and let you sleep.

edited for spelling

Last edited:
Good advice here... can I just add that if the pain is preventing you from sleeping, the pharmacists are really good and can give you some stronger pain relief, maybe a codeine paracetamol combo, which will hopefully take the edge off and let you slerp.
Get youself professional advice, probably best from a podiatrist. It is possible to become really seriously unwell from infected blisters.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Great tip! I'd never heard of doing that before. Would you remove the original insole from your shoes, then? Or just put the farmacia insoles on top of the originals?

The new insoles would replace the existing ones. If you tried to add the new ones on top of the old ones, it would likely be to tight a fit for your feet. A good, replacement insole can make a huge difference in the way a shoe feels and performs.

May I also recommend the combination of Crocs and good poles? Both will change your gait, and the Crocs (+big, fluffy socks) are so soft that they won't aggravate your blisters any further. They will also force you to halve your speed, which may be a good thing.

My wife has specialy made insoles from the podologist.
She use these against tired feet not against blisters .
And yes,you have to remove the original insoles from the shoes.
Wish you well,Peter.

well , blisters are a bind and yours sound pretty serious. Too late now, you already have them but going forward review your footcare regime.

Walking shoes/boots sould have ample room at the front, at least half a size bigger than standard at home footwear.

Good quality socks

Blister regime...compede blister plasters. Read instructions carefully.

Needle and thread technique does work. thread the needle, insert into blister, pull thread through, cut thread and leave in blister, this helps to drain the blister sack.

Soak feet each night in cold water if possible.

Most important.............take off your shoes/boots and socks every 2/3 hours at least and rest for 10 minutes. This will actually save you time, not cause undue delay.

Keep feet well moisturised, vaseline is wonderful.

I'm sure this stuff is "after the horse has bolted" but you need to get back to basics.

Well done for carrying on and the best of luck towards Santiago. It is unfortunate you have a travel deadline. When I did my first Camino in 2016, I had an open ended return date, following the above, I didn't suffer from blisters and I completed the 500 miles from St Jean to Santiago in 28 days of back to back walking, no time outs and carrying a backpack each day and I was 71 with 3 months focused preparation behind me.

I hope you are over the worst and that you reach your goal and travel deadlline safely.

Buen Camino

Hey there Karen, how are things going? Sitting here hoping to hear a happy ending to your story - don't leave us hanging please!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Karen ,don't worried we all get blisters,buen camino.
we are going on the 3th of June and we will be doing SJdP to Pamplona

Buy a a pair of light weight trail shoes or even a good pair of runners. Throw boots as far away as you can.
A new pair of runners will likely have different pressure points so will not contact your existing blister areas.
Runners allow your feet to breathe so much better and are so much lighter than any boot.

I suspect that some that wear boots do so because they believe pain and suffering is part of the Camino experience, but no doubt this is my own extremely negative view of boots being used for long distance walking.

I absolutely gave up on hiking boots a couple of years ago, don't miss them and would never wear them again for long distance walking. Have a picture of me dropping my boots in a garbage can in Sahagun in 2015 and finished that Camino in runners and my Camino in 2016 and my most recent one in April of this year. A few minor blisters, but nothing that impaired my walking or enjoyment of my boot free Camino's

No amount of blister treatment will make your existing boots an option for this year unless you have lots of time for rest days.

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
No matter what I did, I kept getting blister, under blister, under blister down 5 layers and bleeding. So swollen I could barely get my shoes on in am. Heals, toes, bottom of feet, everywhere. No bandaid, tape or compeed would stay on my feet. I finally got medical attention and they treated(drained), and told me to take 3 days off. I did, they dried and toughen. I continued my walk with larger, coolmax shoes, coolmax socks, coolmax insert, cooling foot powder. I walked slower (less fricion), stopped more and took off shoes & socks, reapplied foot powder, put feet up in air and although I did still get a few more small blisters, I was able to finish.

Hi Karen ,I got blisters too in my first camino,but in the second one I did not,I did wear liners socks under my walking shocks.

we are going to do the camino from SJDP to pamplona on the 3th of june.

buen camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
PLEASE! read this post from David -
'First aid on Camino - some thoughts'
He has some brilliant ideas about footwear - and how to do your boot up (sounds simple - but since i tried it i have had no trouble with my work boots (i am a landscape gardener so sometimes have tons of sand etc to shovel and it i almost as hard as hiking...!)
Also good advice about removing boots regularly (I would not ever hike without doing this - i even do it when cycling!)
and also about dealing with blisters. But if you follow his advice you will not get any more blisters....
So please read it - it may help now - but it will definitely help on the next Camino (you may not have planned another - but you will...!;))

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Ok I am 225km from SJPDP. Follow these steps for no blisters.

Buy Vicks vapour rub. Put on feet every 2-4 hours and change your socks. This prevents friction and speeds healing. Vasceline works ok but Vicks lasts. Make sure you have a wool or wool blend sock.

For existing blisters that are still full of fluid. Take a needle and thread - run it through the blister. Cut the thread, remove the needle keep the thread inside. Bandage overnight, in the morning remove the thread and put on a blister bandage. You won't even notice the blister anymore. That trick from someone who had been doing caminos since the 90's.

Buen Camino

Well done Karen and Congratulations to you both!

€60,-
Thanks everyone, I have always been double socking, boots were perfect until the orthotics . Have been draining the blisters but obviously they can't breathe in my boots.

I walk half the day in boots and half in sandals [ Echo or Merrel ] .
Have been doing this now for 6 Camino years
I find its enjoyable and also slows you up just that little bit which i adhere to.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I had planter fasciitis on the CF I took a taxi or a bus to meet my hubby each day. It wasn't the camino I planned on, but it was OK. I was so happy for my hubby to keep walking. And you might find that much rest from walking does the trick.

Sorry to hear this! I walked Leon-Santiago-Finisterre last yr and also had terrible blisters. I trudged along, taped my feet every day, took 600mg ibuprofen every am and bought Tylenol w codeine in pharmacy and would sometimes take midway through day if I was desperate. Ended up booking rooms and walking slowly-took 2 hour lunch breaks if needed-arrived as late as 5 or 6. I learned how to treat the blisters at night (puncture, use betadine, let dry out) but the damage had been done so I muddled through.
Good luck whatever you decide. By the way, I'm
Heading back this summer to do SJPP-Burgos then Camino Finisterre, so what I took away was so much more joy then pain!

I also suffered from blisters. I went to a hospital to see a doctor and was told not to walk for 3 days. I had cellulitus. I used public transportation and began again when I was able. I visited a massage therapist. They are wonderful there. He worked on my feet. Prescribed arnica for the pain. I felt bad but then I gave myself credit for the few hundred miles I walked. Eventually I was able to walk my last 100km. What an experience. I learned a lot on that camino.

I did a 'convoluted' 'pagan' camino - ending at Rosslyn near Edinburgh. After cycling 3300 miles (over 2 summers) I got stung by bees near Lindisfarne and my ankle swelled up terribly. At North Berwick I went to the Cottage Hospital for advice and was told 'No more cycling' 'ice and raised leg' and 'Do not risk your ankle - it is infected'! So tearfully had to call an end to our cycle.
I got to Rosslyn - in a hire car - hobbling painfully - and humbled... we just has to take what we're given.... (the Glenkinchie Distillery did manage to cheer me up somewhat...;))

Getting stung by the bees sounds absolutely horrible. I do hope that is the worst of it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@notion900 provided some good advice on the removal of compeed ... it can be very harmful if not used correctly. @poogeyejr also gave some good advice on blister draining if needed. Cut a big enough hole in the blister to allow it to continue to drain and not close up again. Using a needle usually allows the blister to seal back up and swell. Just make sure to keep them clean and air dry as much as possible. Betadine or providine-iodine is a good disinfectant. You could make a diluted solution to soak your feet by putting a prep pad into some water with salts.

As far as the foot pain, have you tried the Spanish version of Voltaren (Voltarin Forte) on the remaining parts of your feet? It should help alleviate some of the pain. In addition, there is vitamin I (buprofen).

Lastly, try to determine the root cause of the blisters. Is there something in your shoe or boot that is irritating (use an engo patch, feminine pad, duct tape etc.)? Are you wearing waterproof shoes or boots (they may not be breathing, consider changing them out, changing socks often)? Are the shoes or boots to tight (loosen the laces, switch them out). Are the shoes or boots to loose (lace them differently to stabilize your feet, lots of videos on youtube)? Can you wear 2 pair of socks (introduce a thin liner) to transfer the friction between the socks rather than between your sock and foot? Can you elevate your feet when you stop for 20 minutes (let gravity work), take off your socks and let those puppies breathe an dry out?

Buena Suerte!
I think the liner sock or wearing a second thinner sock underneath your existing sock is a great idea as suggested it prevents friction

Last year i did a run in Cyprus across the Akamas, it was around this time of year so the temprature was high. I made the mistake of wearing an mma sock thinking it would be ok but no, it was the opposite. So this year i will try a different option.

I suspect that some that wear boots do so because they believe pain and suffering is part of the Camino experience.
Are you seriously.?
I walk trails and in the mountains for about 45 years now , always wear boots and I had never blister .

Wearing boots has nothing to do with pain and suffering as a part off the Camino.

Wish you well,Peter.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Are you seriously.?
I walk trails and in the mountains for about 45 years now , always wear boots and I had never blister .

Wearing boots has nothing to do with pain and suffering as a part off the Camino.

Wish you well,Peter.
It is if they don't fit correctly or you haven't worn them in sufficiently enough beforehand:)

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back