• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Torn, I tell you...commiseration (and bonus answers) welcome

LorneB

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portugues - Porto to Vigo, 2017; Vigo to SDC to Muxia, 2018
I’m torn, I tell you!

Camino from Porto to Santiago is about to end. Had planned to walk to the sea afterwards (Finisterre or Muxia, not sure). I’d have four days to do it. Been walking with a mild cold (just congestion) for a number of days. Feeling worn down a bit, but I’m still ticking. Want to keep walking. My body says maybe the sea can wait for another time, or that I should bus out to the coast and just walk from Muxia to Finisterre or vice-versa. But taking a bus feels like an unpoetic conclusion.

Not expecting answers, but I’d welcome some commiseration. And what the heck, if you DO have the answer, don’t be shy about spilling :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Lorne, sorry to hear about the cold; although mild, it will still sap some energy. Here's to feeling better soon :)

Have you thought about taking a full day and night to rest and recuperate? Then you can see how you feel about walking on to Muxia or Finesterra. A nice, hot shower or a soak in a tub, some OTC meds to deal with your cold symptoms, a good meal, relaxation, and then a good, long sleep. In the morning, you will feel better able to assess what your next steps will be :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Lorne,
If I were you, I'd get into Santiago first and then plan next steps. You may find you just want to rest and enjoy SdC, or a bus might be exactly what you need. Or you may feel more motivation and health to keep walking. I think thoughts on what to do for your next chapter will come once you've settled into closing out this one (walking into Santiago). Buen Camino!
Faith

Hi Lorne,
If I were you, I'd get into Santiago first and then plan next steps. You may find you just want to rest and enjoy SdC, or a bus might be exactly what you need. Or you may feel more motivation and health to keep walking. I think thoughts on what to do for your next chapter will come once you've settled into closing out this one (walking into Santiago). Buen Camino!
Faith
Thanks, Faith. That’s similar to how I made my decision on whether or not to take the Spiritual Variant. I’d reflected a fair bit in advance, it it was only once I reached the literal fork in the road, as it were, that I stood there a while, and fully decided.

Thanks, Faith. That’s similar to how I made my decision on whether or not to take the Spiritual Variant. I’d reflected a fair bit in advance, it it was only once I reached the literal fork in the road, as it were, that I stood there a while, and fully decided.

You left us in suspense. What did you choose??!! :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've had bad colds with both sore throats and lots of "gunk" on each of my three caminos. Not sure if I caught them on the flights to Spain or in one of the first albergues I stayed, but I powered through and did not take a day off....I say don't let it stop your plans if continuing is in your heart, unless you have a fever in addition.

The worst cold that I had had in years started the day I started walking from Santiago to Finisterre. To allow everyone else to sleep I got private rooms, as I was coughing all night. I still managed to walk from SdC to Finisterre in 3 days, and visited a farmacia there for some cold meds.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi @LorneB, I suggest that you get yourself to Santiago, have a good rest and see you how you feel.

If you still feel inclined to head to the ocean, you don't need to walk all the way to Finisterre. You could, for example take the the Finisterre bus (from the main bus station), but get off at Cee and walk from there (about 12kms). You'll still get those first glimpses of the ocean and the pleasure of walking the last couple of kms in the water, if that appeals to you. Check in to your accommodation, enjoy some nice food and then walk to the lighthouse that evening.

And if you still have time to spare, it's a 1 or 2 day walk from Finisterre to Muxia, which is (IMO) the perfect place to end a Camino.

It's a nice dilemma, with no bad outcomes! Best decided over wine and tapas in Santiago :)

I’m torn, I tell you!

Camino from Porto to Santiago is about to end. Had planned to walk to the sea afterwards (Finisterre or Muxia, not sure). I’d have four days to do it. Been walking with a mild cold (just congestion) for a number of days. Feeling worn down a bit, but I’m still ticking. Want to keep walking. My body says maybe the sea can wait for another time, or that I should bus out to the coast and just walk from Muxia to Finisterre or vice-versa. But taking a bus feels like an unpoetic conclusion.

Not expecting answers, but I’d welcome some commiseration. And what the heck, if you DO have the answer, don’t be shy about spilling :)

I walked in the cold rain on El Norte this March with full blown bronchitis-pneumonia (5 days to find a doc to prescribe antibiotic which pharmacists wouldn’t sell me despite me being an MD). But I’m tough. Only you know your body.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I can’t tell you your answer, but mine included Fisterra and Muxia. I was grateful for that. So, if you pause at any of the beaches between Fisterra and Muxia, ease your feet and body in that beautiful bit of ocean. The salt air and sunshine may be just the ticket to clearing that which ails you!

Get to the nearest pharmacy, tell the pharmacist you have a cold, with chest congestion. They will recommend a cough syrup. Buy it, take it. You will soon start to feel better.

If you have sinus issues, tell them that too. They will sort you out with the appropriate decongestant and / or antihistamine if this is a seasonal allergy issue and not a cold. In either event, the sooner you get medicated then have a good night's sleep, the better you will feel.

If you have a smartphone, use Google Maps to search for "pharmacy near me." Also, you can use either Google Translate or Microsoft Translator (my preference) to write out your question in English and get the translation to Spanish or Portuguese.

Both apps also have offline capability if you download the language files the next time you have Wi-Fi or if you have data.

Both apps, have the capability to make the translated text full screen / turn the phone 90 degrees. This helps to show a pharmacist the question or problem.

If you have data on demand, you can also have these apps speak the translated text. I have used this several times for medical issues and i works GREAT!

Hope this helps.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’m torn, I tell you!

Take the dang bus. It's not a very great or scenic walk anyway. Too isolated and not many services. Take the bus to Finisterre, walk to the ) KM marker and walk or take bus to Muxia and walk out to lighthouse. That is very pretty, IMO

Hi, everyone. Thank you for all your responses. My body’s not at it’s best, but as my appetite will attest, not at its worst, either.

I’ll see what it has to say in the morning, and either listen or endeavour to override. One nice bonus is that I like Santiago far more than I’d anticipated, and in the event this is far as far as I get, Johnny Walker’s guide to the city (which I just came across today) might well help me achieve a certain kind of closure to this pilgrimage.

LorneB

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Darn. That was supposed to be its, not it’s.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Take the dang bus. It's not a very great or scenic walk anyway. Too isolated and not many services. Take the bus to Finisterre, walk to the ) KM marker and walk or take bus to Muxia and walk out to lighthouse. That is very pretty, IMO
Well I guess this illustrates how we all have unique tastes. I decided to go for it, and am now walking. Though really long, I found a great deal of the walk between Negreira and Oliveira beautiful, even breathtaking. I guess it helps that I have a thing for prairie, rolling hills and big sky :)

Well I guess this illustrates how we all have unique tastes. I decided to go for it, and am now walking. Though really long, I found a great deal of the walk between Negreira and Oliveira beautiful, even breathtaking. I guess it helps that I have a thing for prairie, rolling hills and big sky :)
I'm glad that you went for it. For me, when I walked, Santiago wasn't my ultimate destination. I wanted to walk to "the end of the earth". And despite being sick, I was happy that I did it.

I’m torn, I tell you!

I have walked to Muxia (2014) and to Finisterre (2x in 1017). I have also bussed to Finisterre 2x (2014 and 2017) (ok, ... so I leave a lot of time to enjoy myself after doing the CF)

My recommendation is walk if you feel you have the energy. But if you dont, by all means take the local bus (not a tour bus) and go to Finisterre and spend two or three nights there. It is NOT anticlimactic - it is a beautiful drive, and puts you right back unit a Pilgrim atmosphere.

My rough estimate is that if all the pilgrims you will meet in Finisterre, 50% will have walked and 50% bussed.
I’m torn, I tell you!

I have walked to Muxia (2014) and to Finisterre (2x in 1017). I have also bussed to Finisterre 2x (2014 and 2017) (ok, ... so I leave a lot of time to enjoy myself after doing the CF)

My recommendation is walk if you feel you have the energy. But if you dont, by all means take the local bus (not a tour bus) and go to Finisterre and spend two or three nights there. It is NOT anticlimactic - it is a beautiful drive, and puts you right back unit a Pilgrim atmosphere.

My rough estimate is that if all the pilgrims you will meet in Finisterre, 50% will have walked and 50% bussed

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’m torn, I tell you!

Just take the excursion bus... it’s 38 euros, all day adventure, well worth the $$$, relax, enjoy and congratulations!! You can do Finisterre/Muxia another time!! I was done at Santiago, but took bus tour to Finisterre, then took city bus to Finisterre and stayed at Oceanus hostel for two days, walked to the the end of the world and celebrated with friends at sunset!

Just take the excursion bus... it’s 38 euros, all day adventure, well worth the $$$, relax, enjoy and congratulations!! You can do Finisterre/Muxia another time!! I was done at Santiago, but took bus tour to Finisterre, then took city bus to Finisterre and stayed at Oceanus hostel for two days, walked to the the end of the world and celebrated with friends at sunset!
@LorneB already posted that he's walking...
Well I guess this illustrates how we all have unique tastes. I decided to go for it, and am now walking.

I heard that from my friends too, but had to go for it.... I listened to my body, and my other friends! So I celebrated with friends in Santiago too!! ☕

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’m torn, I tell you!

When I left Finisterre I tried to walk back to Santiago, but made it to Cee, I wasn’t feeling it.

As @trecile has noted, I did in fact make the walk. I’m a slow walker by nature, so going from Santiago to Muxía in three days was a serious push for me. I’m glad I made the effort, though. I really liked the landscape on the first two days, and being at the sea in the end gave things a quality of closure that I might have felt was missing otherwise.

That having been said, I certainly understand why some would prefer taking the bus.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back