• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

LIVE from the Camino Torn meniscus :/

bluestsky

Made it as far as Estella before finally caving in and seeing a doctor (though I suppose taking four days to get to Estella from Cizur menor was probably hint enough that something was wrong). He told me i had a torn meniscus and i needed at least one week off of my knee, two would be better, and no more carrying heavy loads. As I'm a bit stubborn all this translated into my head as: ice your knee for a week then bus to Leon or Sarria and finish what you started. Brierly says five days, but I'll probably end up taking eight.

I'm a bit devastated to not be able to walk all the way from roncesvalles, but I'd rather return in the future (and have a good reason for returning!) than have knee problems for the rest of my life.

To everyone who stopped to speak with me along my slow, sloooowwww way, thank you. I feel truly blessed to have so many people looking out for me as I traveled alone.

And now for a week of knee and blister repair before returning more determined than ever!

-Nora

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Don´t rush your recovery, take all the time your knee needs. The Camino will be there waiting for you. It´s not going anywhere.
Your knee will appreciate it.:)

Buen Camino!

Nora,

Very sorry to hear about your setback. May I suggest you seek out treatment from a physiotherapist, who might offer a more specialized opinion on this type of injury. They can also do great work on treating inflammation related to your injury.

I don't know much about meniscus injuries, but I developed a debilitating IT-band injury during my Camino on one of my knees, thought my Camino was done, but found a physiotherapist who worked on me for a good hour, and within a couple days I was back to normal.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Made it as far as Estella before finally caving in and seeing a doctor (though I suppose taking four days to get to Estella from Cizur menor was probably hint enough that something was wrong). He told me i had a torn meniscus and i needed at least one week off of my knee, two would be better, and no more carrying heavy loads. As I'm a bit stubborn all this translated into my head as: ice your knee for a week then bus to Leon or Sarria and finish what you started. Brierly says five days, but I'll probably end up taking eight.

I'm a bit devastated to not be able to walk all the way from roncesvalles, but I'd rather return in the future (and have a good reason for returning!) than have knee problems for the rest of my life.

To everyone who stopped to speak with me along my slow, sloooowwww way, thank you. I feel truly blessed to have so many people looking out for me as I traveled alone.

And now for a week of knee and blister repair before returning more determined than ever!

-Nora

Nora,
That's rotten luck. Get better soon. Wish you well.
Buen Camino and rest easy.

Nora, if you can get yourself to Sahagun you can stay here with us at Peaceable while you recover. There´s a very fine and reasonable physio in town who can treat you. It is pretty boring here, but you will sleep and eat well, at least. And kindly dogs are known to have healing powers...

So sorry to hear about that meniscus problem! Take your time to recover , maybe you should go to Sahagún for a while and put aside walking till you get well.
Since May i got the same problem and I'm almost ready, I'll probably walk a week around the 20 of October.
Focus on getting well ! ! that's the most convenient for you right now and then come back.
Buen Camino anytime you are able to do it. !!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

-Nora[/quote]

I've been training for about a year; bike, stairs, walking, and lately 2 hours a day swimming. I've have 5 surgeries on my knees and now I'm scheduled for an MRI next week; another tear I suspect. I was going to start at the end of October. I too am disappointed and even thinking about doing the Camino on a bike.
I feel ur pain; literally!!!!
We'll both be back! Heal and don't fear if the dr says surgery. Do ur therapy and keep the Camino attitude.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

-Nora
Nora - take your time, get healthy and come back-the Camino will be there to welcome you again with open arms.

God bless you.

Made it as far as Estella before finally caving in and seeing a doctor (though I suppose taking four days to get to Estella from Cizur menor was probably hint enough that something was wrong). He told me i had a torn meniscus and i needed at least one week off of my knee, two would be better, and no more carrying heavy loads. As I'm a bit stubborn all this translated into my head as: ice your knee for a week then bus to Leon or Sarria and finish what you started. Brierly says five days, but I'll probably end up taking eight. ...
And now for a week of knee and blister repair before returning more determined than ever!-Nora
Hi bluestsky - whilst not an orthopedic doc - a torn meniscus is a serious problem - ice will not solve this one (believe me I know I had one) only time and most probably an arthroscopic operation will be required to fix the problem. Yes you can ice, reduce your pack load and yes walk very slowly. Buen Camino :cool:

Nora,
Please let us know how you are doing! I checked your blog and it looks like you are not writing there either. I hope you are healing and resting.
The Camino will be there no matter when you return.
Nancy

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I did indeed make it to sahagun/the peaceable kingdom, which did wonders for my frayed nerves. My knee however has begun clicking some interesting insults at me in morse code, so we are homeward (and doctor) bound.

But this is not the end! If anything, this is the beginning. Now that I've had a taste of the camino I will be restless until I can return. And if I have to return multiple time to complete the camino in stages, that is fine, and if I can do it all in one go, even better!

The road goes ever on and on...

That´s the spirit and remember , the Camino isn´t going anywhere so no need to rush it. Once you knee is fully recovered come back for more.:)

Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Back