• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Torremejia - one to avoid

Peter Elliott

Primitivo '18
Time of past OR future Camino
So, I am walking the VDLP from Seville to Salamanca - using the wise pilgrim app on my phone which is brilliant.

However, if you are walking this route, plan to avoid Torremejia as a stop overnight. The albergue - which has horrific reviews is closed at present and the hostal in town, is appalling. 40 Euros for a room that was filthy and smelly. If you can manage the miles, press on to the next stop - Merida, or stop earlier at almendralejo.

Two caminos under my belt and this is the worst place I have ever stayed - one to avoid

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We are walking from Villafranca de los Barros to Almendrelejo (reservations at Hotel Acosta Vetonia €25 includes breakfast. Next day we will walk to Merida and bypass Torremejia.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We walked there about a week ago. Stayed at albergue Rojo Plata. You get the key at Bar Cafe Rojo, despite the note "closed "on the door. Nothing to complain. The albergue Turistico has been closed now for years, they told in the town.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The Torremejia region was the setting for the novel “The Family of Pascual Duarte”, written by the Spanish Nobel laureate Camilo Jose Cela. It’s one of the bleakest books I’ve ever read, unrelentingly cruel. I stayed in the Hostal Milenium on the Avenida de Extramadura (I still have their card as a memento). It was a rare unenjoyable night on the Camino, and I was very happy to hit the road north to the wonderful city of Merida as soon as the sun came up.

Last edited:
The Torremejia region was the setting for the novel “The Family of Pascual Duarte”, written by the Spanish Nobel laureate Camilo Jose Cela. It’s one of the bleakest books I’ve ever read, unrelentingly cruel. I stayed in the Hostal Milenium on the Avenida de Extramadura (I still have their card as a memento). It was a rare unenjoyable night on the Camino, and I was very happy to hit the road north to the wonderful city of Merida as soon as the sun came up.
I remember it well - ghastly! But all part of the pilgrimage rich tapestry!

So, I am walking the VDLP from Seville to Salamanca - using the wise pilgrim app on my phone which is brilliant.

However, if you are walking this route, plan to avoid Torremejia as a stop overnight. The albergue - which has horrific reviews is closed at present and the hostal in town, is appalling. 40 Euros for a room that was filthy and smelly. If you can manage the miles, press on to the next stop - Merida, or stop earlier at almendralejo.
The
Two caminos under my belt and this is the worst place I have ever stayed - one to avoid
I've stated in the albergue twice. The bar owner went over and above on both occasions. A free beer for waiting, due to the cafe being busy. And again supplying me with a improvised meal when the kitchen was closed. He's like a Spanish Del Boy trotter. The albergue isn't the ritz but neither are the prices. Bed,hot shower, quite street! the food not as bad as reported! It's about personal perception at the time. Keep it real.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Oh great. I'm booked in to that place in the first week of January - is it the Milenium?

Oh great. I'm booked in to that place in the first week of January - is it the Milenium?
frjulian - In fairness, I should report one uplifting experience from Torremejia.
We were having dinner at the Milenium, bad food served with puzzling ill grace (the latter a rarity in Spain). Three kids around ten years old were the only other people in the dining room, I imagine they lived in the hotel.
After about 20 minutes one of them approached us hesitantly, said he’d noticed we were speaking English, and asked if it would it be ok if he practiced with us. He was attending school in Almendralejo, and his ambition was to become fluent in English as a steppingstone to a professional career. He was a terrific kid, clever, polite and thoughtful, and we spent a most delightful half-hour chatting (his English was very good). I wonder about him from time to time, and hope he’s having a good life.
So, visions of Pascual Duarte and the reality of the Milenium notwithstanding, a stopover in Torremejia was not without reward.
Buen camino,
Wes

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
frjulian - In fairness, I should report one uplifting experience from Torremejia.
We were having dinner at the Milenium, bad food served with puzzling ill grace (the latter a rarity in Spain). Three kids around ten years old were the only other people in the dining room, I imagine they lived in the hotel.
After about 20 minutes one of them approached us hesitantly, said he’d noticed we were speaking English, and asked if it would it be ok if he practiced with us. He was attending school in Almendralejo, and his ambition was to become fluent in English as a steppingstone to a professional career. He was a terrific kid, clever, polite and thoughtful, and we spent a most delightful half-hour chatting (his English was very good). I wonder about him from time to time, and hope he’s having a good life.
So, visions of Pascual Duarte and the reality of the Milenium notwithstanding, a stopover in Torremejia was not without reward.
Buen camino,
Wes

Well I shall go with an open mind. I see there is an alternative place to eat down the road at least.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I am looking for my next Camino and like the look of this one starting in Seville. I am a solitary individual and comfortable with my own company. My last one was the camino Madrid which was...
I am posting daily blog style updates on Facebook that anyone can see and follow: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.8095032397178476&type=3 There are also video format stories visible on...
Hey folks. I started the Mozarabe from Almeria and took time out in Salamanca to do a 3 week Spanish course in USAL. The course was fine. 4 hours a day. For the first week we had an excellent...
Y’all, one week from today I get on the plane to fly to Sevilla. Growing anxiety. I will start El Camino on April 6. I hope to report progress here and continue to look for advice. How does...
Hello, First time posting but as Google hasn't been helpful I was hoping others here might be able to help with an odd query. I am considering the Via de la Plata from Seville via Sanabres as my...
Does anybody have any good ideas about secure carparking whilst doing the Vía de la Plata from Sevilla to Merida please?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.