A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

Total ascent

The Plodding Pensioner

The Plodding Pensioner
Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2019)
I used the Dintaman & Landis guide to walk the Frances route this autumn and was very pleased with its content.

I appreciate that most guides will give you a general indication of each stage's starting elevation, maximum elevation and finishing elevation, however, I am wondering if any topographically savvy forum member has ever broken down each stage into total ascent (and total descent). To illustrate, a fictional stage may start at 500' elevation; max out at 600' elevation; and finish at 500' elevation. This would normally be reported as having a total elevation of 100', however, if over the course of this stage you walked through 4 valleys that dropped down to 100' elevation and rose again to 600' elevation, the total elevation walked would have been at least 2000'!

So, I'm wondering if anyone has ever broken down each stage into each small ascent and descend in order to total calculate the total amount of ascending (and descending) elevation covered?

Afri-Can

Not so new member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2015)
Finisterre (2017)
Baztane (2019)
Norte (?)
Good observation and one will be surprised at the difference between the advertised and the actual elevation gain or loss. Although not on the Frances, I had my app going when walking the Baztane this year and found the following.

To get over the Pass of Otsondo we started in Urdax at around 9:15am and only got to the top of the pass (4.5km later) after 2 hours. Another 2 hours got us to Amaiur for 10km in 4 hours. We started at about 90m above MSL with the top of the pass at about 575m above MSL, which is roughly a 485m climb. However, with ups and downs it turned out to be a 583m climb.

To get over the Pass of Belate we started in Ziga at around 9:30am (the owner just shook his head when we explained that we were aiming for Lantz) and only got to the top of the pass (16km later) after 6 hours. Another hour got us to Lantz for 20km in 7 hours. We started at about 303m above MSL with the top of the pass at about 944m above MSL, which is roughly a 641m climb. However, with ups and downs it turned out to be an 1172m climb.

Camino(s) past & future
Us:Camino Frances, 2015 Me:Catalan/Aragonese, 2019

peregrina2000

Staff member
Forum members have told me that elevation gains and losses are notoriously unreliable. GPS reports of the same stretch vary tremendously.

I use wikiloc, like Rick, and the first three tracks that come up for this stage illustrate perfectly.

824 m — https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/camino-del-baztan-ziga-lantz-17249977

1330 m — https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/camino-baztanes-et-2-ziga-lantz-17206183

791 m — https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/5-ziga-lantz-19766143

I have basically given up on getting a reliable estimate, it makes for more surprises en route!

The Plodding Pensioner

The Plodding Pensioner
Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2019)
To the digitally challenged, such as I, you guys are champions! Thanks for your prompt replies. I'll checkout the Wikiloc.com site.

O Peracha

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago (2014)
Annapurna Base, Nepal (2014)
GR 5 - Holland to Pompey, France (2015)
Lisbon to Finesterre (2016)
I'm a fan of gpsvisualizer. You can upload a track and and it will give you point by point elevation change in a data table or graph. It's free and powerful. But non-intuitive.

D

Deleted member 67185

Walkmeter does an accurate job of not only tracking one's specific route that is walked or run, but also elevation gains and losses, total elevation, and total loss.

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Ourense to Santiago (2019), CF: (2014, 2004, 2002, 2001). On to Fisterra, (2002, 4, 14).
Good observation and one will be surprised at the difference between the advertised and the actual elevation gain or loss. Although not on the Frances, I had my app going when walking the Baztane this year and found the following.

To get over the Pass of Otsondo we started in Urdax at around 9:15am and only got to the top of the pass (4.5km later) after 2 hours. Another 2 hours got us to Amaiur for 10km in 4 hours. We started at about 90m above MSL with the top of the pass at about 575m above MSL, which is roughly a 485m climb. However, with ups and downs it turned out to be a 583m climb.

To get over the Pass of Belate we started in Ziga at around 9:30am (the owner just shook his head when we explained that we were aiming for Lantz) and only got to the top of the pass (16km later) after 6 hours. Another hour got us to Lantz for 20km in 7 hours. We started at about 303m above MSL with the top of the pass at about 944m above MSL, which is roughly a 641m climb. However, with ups and downs it turned out to be an 1172m climb.
Ouch!

I thought 117m to 525m leaving Ourense was bad.

I doubt Baztane will ever see me: Yikes!

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 29.0%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock