Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Total denivellation from Oviedo to Santiago

Ton

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la plata
In april may I will be finishing my Via de la Plata/Camino Sanabres. Due to an injury I had to quit it last year (about two weeks left to Santiago) I'm thinking about walking the Camino Salvador and the Camino Primitivo after arriving in Santiago. I would like to know the total of altitudedifferences I would have to do. Somewhere I read that the total for the Primitivo was 8400 meters up and down about the same. When I look at the profile of the route and do a global count, it adds up to about 4600 meters up and down. Has anybody walked these caminos, and have gps-information about the meters "gained and lost". The information about the difficulties of these caminos might help me make up my mind in deciding what to do after arriving in Santiago.
Many thanks in advance, I wish everybody a buen camino at home or at whatever camino in Spain or elsewhere.
Ton Vaessen

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, Ton,
Welcome to the forum, There are several GPS tracks of both caminos in wikiloc.com. But the numbers are very inconsistent, not so much for distance, but for elevation gain. (Just search for Camino Salvador Leon Oviedo and Camino Primitivo Oviedo Santiago)

For the Primitivo, one GPS track says total 11,505 m ascent and 11,556 m descent. Another says 9,347 ascent and 9430 descent.

For the Salvador, one says 4930 m ascent, 5658 m descent. Another says 2835 m ascent, 3352 m descent.

I think the lesson here is that though the GPS devices are pretty good with distances, their accuracy when it comes to elevation gain is much less so. But look at the wikiloc maps because they'll give you a good idea of the kind of terrain you'll be walking in.

In addition to thinking about the total elevation ascent and descent over the course of a camino, I think the way it's either spaced out or concentrated in a few stages is relevant. The Salvador has a couple of mountain stretches with a lot of up and down, and the rest is hilly and even some long stages of flat (like Campomanes to Mieres). The Primitivo just seems to roll along up and down all the way, with a couple of more pronounced ascents (to Puerto de Palo and another one after Fonsagrada) and descents (like down to the dam near Grandas de Salime).

I'm never able to answer the question -- which is your favorite Camino. But the fact that I'm heading back for my third Salvador/Primitivo this summer is a pretty good indicator of something! I think you would love it. Buen camino, Laurie

In april may I will be finishing my Via de la Plata/Camino Sanabres. Due to an injury I had to quit it last year (about two weeks left to Santiago) I'm thinking about walking the Camino Salvador and the Camino Primitivo after arriving in Santiago. I would like to know the total of altitudedifferences I would have to do. Somewhere I read that the total for the Primitivo was 8400 meters up and down about the same. When I look at the profile of the route and do a global count, it adds up to about 4600 meters up and down. Has anybody walked these caminos, and have gps-information about the meters "gained and lost". The information about the difficulties of these caminos might help me make up my mind in deciding what to do after arriving in Santiago.
Many thanks in advance, I wish everybody a buen camino at home or at whatever camino in Spain or elsewhere.
Ton Vaessen
I can't help you with the GPS and denivellation, I'm afraid, but it sure felt like a lot of up and down!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, Ton,
Welcome to the forum, There are several GPS tracks of both caminos in wikiloc.com. But the numbers are very inconsistent, not so much for distance, but for elevation gain. (Just search for Camino Salvador Leon Oviedo and Camino Primitivo Oviedo Santiago)

For the Primitivo, one GPS track says total 11,505 m ascent and 11,556 m descent. Another says 9,347 ascent and 9430 descent.

For the Salvador, one says 4930 m ascent, 5658 m descent. Another says 2835 m ascent, 3352 m descent.

I think the lesson here is that though the GPS devices are pretty good with distances, their accuracy when it comes to elevation gain is much less so. But look at the wikiloc maps because they'll give you a good idea of the kind of terrain you'll be walking in.

In addition to thinking about the total elevation ascent and descent over the course of a camino, I think the way it's either spaced out or concentrated in a few stages is relevant. The Salvador has a couple of mountain stretches with a lot of up and down, and the rest is hilly and even some long stages of flat (like Campomanes to Mieres). The Primitivo just seems to roll along up and down all the way, with a couple of more pronounced ascents (to Puerto de Palo and another one after Fonsagrada) and descents (like down to the dam near Grandas de Salime).

I'm never able to answer the question -- which is your favorite Camino. But the fact that I'm heading back for my third Salvador/Primitivo this summer is a pretty good indicator of something! I think you would love it. Buen camino, Laurie
Hello Laurie
Thanks for this information. This was just the kind of website I was looking for. Collaterol pleasure is that I can compare trips with earlier ones in Nepal or the Coast to Coast in the UK. I hoped that the information would be more precise, but like you wrote the gpsmeasurements aren't as good yet as I would expect. Anyway if all goes we'll on my two weeks on the Sanabres, I'll be on my way, starting the Salvador in Leon. You're right of course: any weight can be carried, if you can split it up in small portions.
You have walked this route twice, can you give me some advice considering the weather. I was thinking to start around 15 april, around the first of may I would then begin the Salvador. I understood from other messages that it might be better to wait a few weeks longer because of the cold. Have you any opinion on this?
Many Thanks from the Netherlands. Perhaps we'll meet somewhere along the way.
Buen y feliz camino

Ton Vaessen

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello Laurie
Thanks for this information. This was just the kind of website I was looking for. Collaterol pleasure is that I can compare trips with earlier ones in Nepal or the Coast to Coast in the UK. I hoped that the information would be more precise, but like you wrote the gpsmeasurements aren't as good yet as I would expect. Anyway if all goes we'll on my two weeks on the Sanabres, I'll be on my way, starting the Salvador in Leon. You're right of course: any weight can be carried, if you can split it up in small portions.
You have walked this route twice, can you give me some advice considering the weather. I was thinking to start around 15 april, around the first of may I would then begin the Salvador. I understood from other messages that it might be better to wait a few weeks longer because of the cold. Have you any opinion on this?
Many Thanks from the Netherlands. Perhaps we'll meet somewhere along the way.
Buen y feliz camino

Ton Vaessen
Hi, Ton, I know jpflavin of the forum walked in April and found a lot of snow. I have walked it only in fair weather -- once in late Sept., once in June. Glorious both times, but the June walk was green with lots of flowers, ahhhhhh. I will be back again in late June, if all goes well. If you do decide to walk when there is a chance of snow, you can always post with a question on Ender's Facebook page. He answers quite quickly. https://www.facebook.com/caminodelsalvador

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back