Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Total distance from Oviedo to Santiago?

jennysa

Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2011,2012 2013,2014, 2015 Aragones 2012, 2017 2018 Via Francigena 2016,2017 Primitivo 2018,2019
I have seen about 4 different distances 314, 359, 340, etc. Does anyone have the exact mileage? I plan to walk it in June next year. Everyone seems to choose May as the ideal month to walk the Primitivo, so I hope June will not be too hot.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello,according to my quidebook the distance is 310.9km
But what is a km. more or less.

Wish you well,Peter.

The detail of the total distance really doesn't matter much, your ability to walk from an albergue to the next in one day is what is key. Some guides suggest etapas for the Primitivo in 13 days, I think I walked it in 17, to habe etapas around 23km. Only on the day through the Hospitales route was I unable to have a shorter distance between albergues, so I walked to the road junction with the Camino after reaching the summit and had a taxi pick me up there.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It depends upon how you make Lugo-Santiago

via Mellide
via Friol-Sobrado-Arzúa
via Friol-Sobrado-Santa Irene

And it also depends on whether you go via Hospitales or Pola de Allande, as Anemone mentions above

I guess... I always thought it was 320

There are a couple of options on the Primitivo which determine the total distance. I will be walking the Primitivo from Oviedo to SdC later this year and will not be taking the Hospitales route. I will also opt to walk via Melide. The total distance for me will be 321kms.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There are a couple of options on the Primitivo which determine the total distance. I will be walking the Primitivo from Oviedo to SdC later this year and will not be taking the Hospital route. I will also opt to walk via Melide. The total distance for me will be 321kms.

Thanks for your response. What is the main difference between the 2 routes? Is it level of difficulty or scenery? I an curious to know why you are choosing Melide over Hospitales?

Thanks for your response. What is the main difference between the 2 routes? Is it level of difficulty or scenery? I an curious to know why you are choosing Melide over Hospitales?
It's not Melide vs Hospitales.Hospitales is many many days before having to decide on how to walk into Santiago.

When deciding to walk Hospitales or not, the option is Pola Dura. Hospitales is done in 1 day and should only be done when the weather is optimal. Pola Dura is over two days, and while day1 is apparently easy, I am told the hike out Poladura on day 2 is steep as well.

The comment about Melide is alternatives on getting to Santiago avoiding the mayhem of the Frances. Since unfortunatelyjoined the Frances in Melide I will let others explain the ways to avoid the Frances. The "normal" Primitivo route is joining the Frances.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Jenny, look at this thread for a lot of different opinions. (And btw, the choices are Pola de Allande vs. Hospitales, and then Melide vs. Sobrado dos Monxes).

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/hospitales-or-pola-de-allande.28334/

Buen camino, Laurie
Thanks so much Laurie. It clarified everything for me. If I can get someone to walk with me, I will definitely take the Hospitales route. If I am on my own, I will take the Pola de Allande. But first I have to walk from Lourdes to Pamplona in May this year.

It's not Melide vs Hospitales.Hospitales is many many days before having to decide on how to walk into Santiago.

When deciding to walk Hospitales or not, the option is Pola Dura. Hospitales is done in 1 day and should only be done when the weather is optimal. Pola Dura is over two days, and while day1 is apparently easy, I am told the hike out Poladura on day 2 is steep as well.

The comment about Melide is alternatives on getting to Santiago avoiding the mayhem of the Frances. Since unfortunatelyjoined the Frances in Melide I will let others explain the ways to avoid the Frances. The "normal" Primitivo route is joining the Frances.

I now understand the point you were making about the differences. Thank you for your advice. I have decided on the Hospitales route.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I now understand the point you were making about the differences. Thank you for your advice. I have decided on the Hospitales route.
Remember, take the Hospitales route only if weather is favourable. If in doubt, ask the farmers or villagers just before startingthe climb. When I was up there a cloud came rolling in and all of a sudden I lost all visibility and it got cold. Glad it went away as quickly as it came .

A more senior pilgrim than I once pointed out that we North Americans are accustomed to kilometres as an objective measurement. In Spain, he told me, and especially on the Camino, kilometres have a subjective character-- some seem very long indeed, but others disappear in a few minutes. More seriously, measurements differ as sometimes they are taken from town centres, or milestones by the ajuntamiento or principal church, or from albergues; as well, some are taken as the crow flies, and others by walking distance. As well, an ascending or descending kilometre takes much longer to walk than one on the flat. The advice to focus on your ability to walk from one place to another is useful.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Melide is a later option after Lugo and is the 'official' route. The Hospitales option is earlier between Borres and Montefurado. The Hospitales route is the steep climb and high route with no facilities for 16.5kms. The lower route option through Pola de Allande is less strenuous and has bars, cafes, shops and albergues more frequently.

I have seen about 4 different distances 314, 359, 340, etc. Does anyone have the exact mileage? I plan to walk it in June next year. Everyone seems to choose May as the ideal month to walk the Primitivo, so I hope June will not be too hot.
The official certificate of distance provided by the Pilgrim Office says 334km from Oviedo to Santiago. Whether this is definitive or not I don't know. I did the Hospitales route and although the official read through my credencial he didn't ask which option I took.

Respectfully...I guess my answer would be a question "does it matter?" When I climbed Mt. Kilimanjaro and people asked how high it was and how much I walked, I answered "very high - planes flew below me - and I walked a lot". Similarly with weather questions. Historical data matters little - it's cold, it's hot, it's wet, it's dry...just like most other places. Suggest you read as much as possible to get a sense of the route and enjoy the journey - step by step.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Melide is a later option after Lugo and is the 'official' route. The Hospitales option is earlier between Borres and Montefurado. The Hospitales route is the steep climb and high route with no facilities for 16.5kms. The lower route option through Pola de Allande is less strenuous and has bars, cafes, shops and albergues more frequently.

So in essence, the Hospitales route is similar to the distance between Carrion and Calzadilla, but with more of an incline and without the guy in the middle selling refreshments?

So in essence, the Hospitales route is similar to the distance between Carrion and Calzadilla, but with more of an incline and without the guy in the middle selling refreshments?
Absolutely.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back