• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Total Hip Replacement Pilgrim

Time of past OR future Camino
CDN, Primitivo, Sanabrés, Portugués, Ruta do Mar,
Hello everyone,

Obviously you probably understand why this question is being posed; you see I had this surgery done last June. At this time all the pain that was there is completely gone, and I have been able to walk and hike. My concern is what will it be like day after day of walking? The intention is to listen to my body and not push too hard, and I'm fine with that; and yet my expectations are high just as my spirits are too:)

Have any of you had this surgery and then done such a long trek? I am so interested in hearing back from any one of you who has done the Camino after a hip replacement. What was your physical experience regarding your hip, such as pain, strain, any limitations in distance walking, or worse, did your pilgrimage have to be cut short due to a hip related problem? If you'd like, you certainly could PM me. I will be in your debt for any information you are willing to share about this topic, be it your own or of someone you know.

Thanks so much!

Mary

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Manoll, you are an inspiration! I have come across others like yourself hiking long distances with hip replacements. I find it astounding. Recently a Polish friend-of-a-friend with hip replacement succeeded in walking the Via de la Plata....

Ultreia!

Hi. I presume you mean a total hip JOINT replacement. I had my left one replaced 5 years ago and 6 months later I was trekking in the Nepal Himalaya for a period of 4 months. Since then I have walked the Camino Frances twice, plus the Aragones and Finisterre for a total distance of just under 2,000 kms. In 2 weeks I am leaving to walk the VDLP, plus Camino Portugues and if time permits the Finisterre. And I am planning to arrive in Santiago on my 82 nd birthday. Once I get into the rhythm, 25 - 30 kms a day is fine. So I consider myself qualified to give you my opinion.
So long as you have no pain, then your joint is fixed, and you have absolutely no worries. Walking is the best exercise you can do for your new joint. Just go for it and have a buen camino. David

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Good morning, Lovingkindness, David & Allan,

Thank you for your kind words and reassurance. You have made my day a much BETTER one :D
Indeed, it was a total hip JOINT replacement, this past June. With all the pain gone my hope is to be able to transition from daily hiking & treadmill use into the rhythm of long distance daily walking on the Camino. David, the treks you have done and your dedication to continue are amazing! What a great birthday present to yourself:) You have lifted my spirits to a much higher level and inspired me. I want to be like you -so many paths to walk!

Cheers everyone!

Mary

Haven't had a hip joint replacement myself, but we met someone while we were climbing Mt. Kilimajaro who had just had this procedure done a couple of months before. I suspect everyone varies, but your plan to listen to your body sounds like a "fit" one. :D
Buen Camino!
Susan "backpack45" Alcorn

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
To you my thanks for the encouragement. Just knowing that there are some trekkers out there who've gone through a similar procedure, reassures me that I am on the right path and that indeed, it is possible to venture on this adventure!

¡Gracias por los consejos y Buen Camino!

Mary

Last year, I also met a pilgrim with a "new hip" (and some other bones replaced due to an illness).
He used to walk every year a long distance and was fine with it.

He did not use the hip strap, but wore all the weight on his shoulders.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Welcome to the tin hip club. I've got two.
I did the Camino Frances last year, no problems.
In fact I consider us bionic folks to be at a considerable advantage compared to other pilgrims.
Don't tell anyone. They might put up our credential qualifying distance to 3000ks if they see us bounding across the countryside.

Regds
Gerard

The "Tin Hip Club" exclusive for those with bionic parts! I like that, Gerard!! It certainly sounds like you are doing incredibly well, that is amazing; I feel more at ease and more determined to be successful on this Camino of mine :D Thank you.

Cheers!

Mary

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
camino-david said:
... total hip JOINT replacement. I had my left one replaced 5 years ago and 6 months later I was trekking in the Nepal Himalaya for a period of 4 months. Since then I have walked the Camino Frances twice, plus the Aragones and Finisterre for a total distance of just under 2,000 kms. In 2 weeks I am leaving to walk the VDLP, plus Camino Portugues and if time permits the Finisterre. And I am planning to arrive in Santiago on my 82 nd birthday. Once I get into the rhythm, 25 - 30 kms a day is fine.
I cut and pasted David's message to it's essential parts. A remarkable experience :!:
Since we are all different, it might also be wise to ask for your physician's opinion. :wink:
Enjoy your upcoming Camino :D

You are absolutely right about speaking to my surgeon, Fraluchi. My doctor has been very encouraging and has given his approval! Thanks for your recommendation and good will :D

Mary

This is an update on my Camino. I did the Camino del Norte to Oviedo and then switched to the Primitivo (about 820 KM) in May and part of June. What an extraordinary and breathtaking journey, and more so because I had absolutely NO PAIN!!! My hip was perfect and I feel so blessed to have done it. And, yes it is true, one Camino is not enough! I will do it again:)

Ultreia!

Mary

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hey there! I wanted to chat about my experience on the 2017 Camino Frances. I'm pretty average physically, maybe a tad overweight, did some training (could've done more), and could've lightened my...
We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.