• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tough section between Irun and Bilbao

Bem48

Bem in Sydney
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008 Camino del Norte 2011 VdlP 2013
Levante in 2019?
Hola !
The section between Irun and Bilbao is thought to be very tough.
Can anyone enlighten me...how tough ??
How does it compare to some of the strenuous section on the "frances", like
across the Pyrenees from SJPdP to Roncevalles, or up to Foncebadon and the Crux de Ferro or
the O Cebreiro section ??
What average distance/day could I expect to cover on this section? Keeping in mind
I don't want to race, but enjoy, but still have only about 32 days from Irun to SdC.

Thanks for all your advice
Bem in Sydney

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I would like to know the answer too. Bem48 I found a list of elevations for the Norte on this site the other day. I will check it out and get back to you. I assume it is the elevations that are an issue although I suppose it could be the pathway itself. I really try tp skirt or pass over the industrial lands for instance.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Greetings fellow Peregrinos, who is walking the Del Norte and Primitivo and when? I will hopefully be working as a hopitalero for 10 day in June 2011 and then walking The Way from the 25th June. My reasearch has revealed contours of a serious level in many places. This does not cause me much concern it is the weather, possiblities of heavy rains sound high. None the less I will take it all in "my stride".
Buen Camino to you all. Joy

Hola Bem
There is a website in spanish http://www.caminodesantiago.consumer.es . It is in spanish but there are lots of maps and diagrams and you can even get feed back on peoples experiences in the albergues.
When you open it up just click on Camino del Norte and then on Etapa 1 and then Etapa two and you will see diagrams of the elevations

Buen Camino
Lydia

Hi Bem,

We averaged 27km per day on the del Norte when we conered the distance in 31 walking days. We had lay-days in Bilbao and Gijon, and our average was boosted a little on our second last day, when we walked around 45 km [ we were pretty fit by then]. How tough? Everyone has their own individual pain thresh-hold, but I found the daily stages in the first week to be somewhat tougher than anything I did on the Aragones, including O Cebreiro. Some of the steep dpwnhill paths were,as AJ noted, dangerous if not taken with great care, including going down sideways, step by step. My walking staff was much used.

Hi Lydia - if you look up http://www.mundicamino.com there are VERY good profiles of the stages on the del Norte as well as other routes.

If you get the chance to stay in the youth hostel in Ribadesella, take it! It is right on a beautiful beach and the sound of the waves will lull you to sleep. I became a member of Youth Hostels of Australia before I went and this allowed me to stay in several youth hostels during the walk.

buen camino

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi

I am trying to get into this forum .... without success?.... greg

That section that you speak of may be tough but it is very doable. You get so involved in the beauty of it that you don't realize how much you've done. When you leave Irun you will get to a church then have the choice of going uphill over the Alpinista way or to the left. Go the Alpinista way. Once you're at the top it is easy going but the views of the ocean on one side and the valleys on the other are breathtaking. Treat yourself in a good restaurant before you cross the river by boat. Once you're in San Sebastian you will want to rest. Make sure you see the famous beach La Concha. So that is your first day. Tough yeah, but feels good when you have completed it. I was not very fit when I started but by the time I got to Bilbao I was in much better shape. Enjoy the ups and downs.
Lillian

Thank you all very much, Lillian, Alan, Lydia, Joy and Bev!
Your advice is very much appreciated, those web-sites Mundicamino and Eroski are
treasure troves! Great!
Buen Camino to you all

Bem in Sydney

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Bem, Lillis description is, as usual quite correct. You get a clear choice on signs after leaving the church. I think one sign for the Alpinista says " Only for the tough ones" Don't be put off, its not that bad and the views are marvellous. People who walked the lower way round the mountain said it was an almost level track. Before you take the boat try one of the excellent Basque restaurants, as mentioned. On the other side you walk up the hill (again!) and then a bit along a coastal track before returning to the asphalt before San Sebastian. It may be helpful to warn you that the "Norte" is about 90 percent asphalt, at least until you come to Galicia.

Joy, she does and did. I looked but can't find it but I know it's online somewhere. Maybe Sil or someone else can find it?

Try PMing her.. the PM may go directly to her email box.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Lydia Gillen said:
Hola Bem
There is a website in spanish http://www.caminodesantiago.consumer.es . It is in spanish but there are lots of maps and diagrams and you can even get feed back on peoples experiences in the albergues.
When you open it up just click on Camino del Norte and then on Etapa 1 and then Etapa two and you will see diagrams of the elevations

Buen Camino
Lydia
Great reference sites from Lydia and Bem, thanks a bunch

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back