• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Toughen your feet?

Markaphx

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances - March / April 2015
I know the best way to prepare your feet is to walk in your hiking shoes and have them well broken in before your Camino. But I am wondering if there are other ways to toughen them up. Something to insure they're not "baby soft" and prone to blisters.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have seen recommendations on the forum such as "try rubbing your feet with surgical spirit (rubbing alcohol) daily for a couple of weeks before you set off on holiday, to toughen your skin, or chiropodists say that potassium permanganate crystals work even better, but you need to soak your feet in the solution for 10-15 minutes. Somehow all these chemicals just dont appeal appeal to my sensativities. I greatly prefer simply walking everywhere and working in many practice hikes beforwe leaving. Look up "Blister treatment" if you want to see a firestorm of conflicting opinions. The pierce and thread system also seems to me personally, a form of masochism.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Walk barefoot around the house, if you live near the beach take long walks on them, the abrasive qualities of the sand will harden up your feet. Their are other ways than doing practise hikes to harden up your feet, but if they are feeling tender while you are doing the hikes then check out good shock absorber insoles. I use sorbothane style ones and despite that I have developed hard feet.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the best way to prepare your feet is to walk in your hiking shoes and have them well broken in before your Camino. But I am wondering if there are other ways to toughen them up. Something to insure they're not "baby soft" and prone to blisters.
I do not "toughen" my feet, I pamper them. always did. walked the entire camino without one blister. have very high arched feet - so, paying nice attention to ones feet goes a long way, no pun intended. - pedicures are great (mine don't include nail-painting) and twice daily foot-massage during camino. good insoles can be very helpful too (i chose montrail and also had silicone ones with me as well. changed according to the surface that i was walking on). and of course great fitting shoes, and a sock solution that works for you. (mine was: sockliner and merino socks) and using body-glide.
and i walked around the shoes a lot in the house as well ... just as another poster mentioned.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I agree - be kind to your feet. Using vaseline worked wonders for me on my second camino. I had quite bad blisters on my first camino but this year they weren't a problem at all. lots of care and pampering!!!

buen camino

Lemon juice for 2-3 weeks (just make sure you don't go in the sun barefoot or they will stain), or Tano (by the makers of Nok) and for the last week. During the camino: Bag Balm, vaseline, Vick's Vapour Rub, they all work, or Nok. Also St-John's Wart oil - perfect for preventing and healing blisters. First leaned about it in trekking shop is Astorga - the owner made it himself. Interestingly enough I thought it was important to harden feet, and still do, but on my last stroll on the Camino I met hardcore walkers (100 miles + a week with their local walking club) whose feet are super super soft. And blister free.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Toughening the skin by drying out the skin (via use of rubbing alcohol, or other drying/hardening agents) may or may not work. I've never done it. I would be concerned about drying out the skin to the point where you get cracks in the skin, which can lead to infection and a whole lot of pain. The risks of this strategy may outweigh the supposed benefits.

Prep your feet by finding the right shoes for long distance walking, and by doing lots of walking before you start your Camino! There are great blister prevention strategies that don't put your feet at risk of cracking and splitting due to inadvertently sucking out all of the essential moisture.

If you insist on trying an unorthodox method, please do so in consultation with a podiatrist, doctor or physical therapist.

This is what I do, but not especially for the camino, it's just what I do.
Its something I try to do as much as possible as well. There was a Philippine priest who blogged on here a few years ago about his attempts to walk the Frances barefoot, he usually had to put some form of protection on around midday as the sun heated up the surfaces he was walking on.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked blister free the Camino Frances in April 2014. I am currently preparing to walk from Le Puy en Valey to SJPD to SDC in 2015. What follows is my preparation. It is what worked for me last time. I didn't harden my feet, I soften them. Good preparation, good socks and well worn in footwear should make a difference. Below is from an earlier post of mine. However be aware everyone is different, you know your own body. What works for me in this very hot climate may or mayn't work for you.

"Hi again, my apologies for not getting back earlier. I have been testing the waters of the Pacific at Burleigh Heads.
FOOT PREPARATION that works for me. I live in a hot climate and I spend most of my day wearing thongs. Consequently my feet become very dry and my heals crack. So I spend time walking in the water the Indian Ocean. The water softens them up considerably. At home i sit with my feet in a tub of warm water (don't laugh now) but i add washing up detergent to the water, and then I give my feet and heels a good rub down with a pumice stone. I do this a couple of times each week. I endeavour to get my feet to be very soft. Afterwards I rub Silic 15 Cream into them. (Available in Australia from most Chemist Shops, about $6 - $7) ) Before each walk I also apply the cream and I also do this each day of my Camino.
And I keep my feet soft by wearing shoes and or boots on a regular basis. (I give up the bare feet and thongs in the couple of months leading up to my Camino.)
I also get my feet checked out by a podiatrist. (I wear my boots and socks to the appointment.)
On my preparation walks I wear the two pairs of socks that I will use daily on my Camino. An inner sock and the outer sock.
Before I go for my walk each day I take plenty of time to massage the cream into my feet and especially the heel.
This works for me and I put it down to the cream and making sure that my feet are really, really soft. Not a blister in all my walking thus far. "

Happy preparation. Let's know how it goes.

Its something I try to do as much as possible as well. There was a Philippine priest who blogged on here a few years ago about his attempts to walk the Frances barefoot, he usually had to put some form of protection on around midday as the sun heated up the surfaces he was walking on.

I have read, in The Old Ways I think, of a fellow who walked trails in Britain barefoot. It took him about two weeks of barefoot walking to get accustomed to it. After that, no problems and he enjoyed it immensely. I think I'll stick to my boots though.

I am prone to supination ( feet roll outward)when I hike and it causes problems with my knees, ankles and probably somewhere down the line my hip. I keep looking at barefoot hiking, it is the remedy to my supination, one of the practises that is recommended is walking barefoot on beaches, you start naturally to center your feet as you walk, if you do it enough it carries over into walking in boots. The other problem I have is that I have wide feet and all footwear seems to be a compromise, which eventually leads to other problems. Thanks AJ I will look for this book.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It's a matter of the type of skin you have, luck and shoes.
I suppose I'm very lucky, no treatment, no cream, and didn't have any blister on any of my camino's (yet...). I wear salomons, always comfortable to me.

The soft feet approach works for me and like Cejanus I used Silic 15 on my Caminos which I get from my brother in Australia. I also use a product called Gloves in a bottle which is basicaly the same as Silic 15 and is available at Boots Chemists. I rub this into my feet first thing taking special care between the toes, the heels and anywhere I am likely to get a hotspot or blister. Unlike Vaseline or Vick, Silic and Gloves dry to a silky finish and won't mess up your socks. I also double sock. So far so good.

Tannic acid or strong tea will toughen your skin a bit. Soak in a foot bath daily for a few weeks before you go. Witch hazel dries and tightens the skin. Be sure athletes food is completely cleared.
After having had super blisters on my first ( a mini, partial 8 day) Camino, I spent some time searching on the Internet, found the ballet dancers solution, as Falcon comments, soak your feet in a strong tea solution, which I do several times a day for about the last two weeks before my Camino. Since the, I have done many Caminos, mainly long distance and have remained blister free! So, strong tea solution for me! Anne

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.

Hi,
I don't toughen mine up, I treat them like the precious little darlings they are. I've posted this previously so if anyone is reading this for the second time (or seventy first time if you are a stalker:D) bear with me please whilst I try to help another pilgrim.
Markaphx, when walking with a pack, regardless of where I am, how I feel or how far I have walked, every two hours my boots and socks come off. I then say hello to my toes and let them see where we are for about 15 minutes. If necessary I give them a nice dry pair of liner and outer socks to wear before putting them back inside my boots. In return for this love and care they have carried me for thousands upon thousands of miles without the need to "toughen" them up.
I'm sure you'll get lots of advice form others on this topic my friend. I only offer you what works for me.
Buen (foot trouble free) Camino

The subject of blisters is well covered elsewhere. I would repeat my previous comment...
BLISTERS:
This was my 4th camino. On the previous three I needed hospital treatment for severe blistering, which took much of the pleasure from the trek. I have tried all the usual remedies - Vaseline, powder, walking socks, massage, etc etc all to no avail.
This year I decided to use panty liners. If you fellows don't know about panty liners, just ask the lady in your life.
I would place the liner on the floor, sticky side UP, then carefully place my foot down onto it, so that it was at the same angle as my toes - and gave me protection along the ball of the big toe, and across the whole sole of my foot just below the toes. Just position it where you usually get blisters.
On occasion I had to buy the extra long liners/pads from chemists in Spain: the same principle applied, and the ends of the liner were simply folded across the top of my foot. I then put on my normal walking socks.
I am not suggesting for one moment that this will cure everyone's problems. Only that they cured mine. So it might be worth a try.
I also limited my walking distances to average no more than around 22-24 kms a day - ocassionally down to 15 kms.
If that helps just one of you to avoid blisters, my time has been well spent.
Buen camino! [Without blisters!]

I wouldn't toughen them up at all. We all went for pedicures before our flight (the first of my life lol). I think it helped.

None of us had a blister the whole way. Get used to your socks/shoes, be good about changing socks (and never re-wear socks until they have been washed). But I actually think soft feet is a good thing

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I do not "toughen" my feet, I pamper them. always did. walked the entire camino without one blister. have very high arched feet - so, paying nice attention to ones feet goes a long way, no pun intended. - pedicures are great (mine don't include nail-painting) and twice daily foot-massage during camino. good insoles can be very helpful too (i chose montrail and also had silicone ones with me as well. changed according to the surface that i was walking on). and of course great fitting shoes, and a sock solution that works for you. (mine was: sockliner and meriono socks) and using body-glide.
and i walked around the shoes a lot in the house as well ... just as another poster mentioned.
this I believe is the best method. Friends of mine who did the Camino Frances last year did the same. They had a daily ritual of foot massaging and moisterising to keep their feet supple. Their other trick was wearing those little stocking-ettes. The ones like little short sport socks. They both didn't get one blister.

This is what I do, but not especially for the camino, it's just what I do.
As also do I.....walking along the sand is so good.

Hi, we walked the CF last september. Spaying your feet a couple of weeks before you go with Camphor Alcohol spray will certainly help to "harden" your feet. This, in combination with well broken in shoes and "double socks", did it for me (and my wife). The "urine story" is a hoax. This was already told when I was in the army and our Sergeant Major told this to new recruits to "piss" them off.

Of course you need to pamper your feet when you are on The Way. Vaseline/ Good Hygiene etc is important. That was the other reason why we used the Camphor alcohol also during our Camino. It is a great desinfectant. Not everybody wears flip flops when they shower!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would suggest that after you have done your training walk...dont take your shoes off. Stay in them for as long as possible.

On the Camino you will be on your feet for 5-7plus hours a day.

Wearing your shoes/boots for as long as possible will soon show you where natural hot spots are and how your feet will respond or if the sole is too thin and let's stones poke through.. etc.
Look for if your feet: swell, rub, or does your heel move or toe hit the end.
I know that works for you, but I have different experience. I stop walking every 2-3hrs (of course it partly depends on opened bars along the track ;)) and take my boots off to dry socks and boots as well, do some quick foot massage and off I go. Never had a blister.
Not true :(, but the reason was well known to me - too much kilometers on tarmac without taking my boots off (this year on Camino de Madrid on first stage). And it was hot like hell also...

Ultreia!

I could never bring myself to try the old "soak them in urine" method so I have no idea if it really works. Ugh!
Hey, Al,

my Grandfather used to do this. He was shoemaker and even when he incidently cut his thumb or such, he went to ... where ... and ... did... and... it was OK in a matter of hours. As I child I was thinking he must have been a magician :D

Huh, I forgot to add my own (main) advice - do not rub off all of your "old" skin off your soles, heels etc. I'm quite sure that was one of the main reasons (all of others, like well-worn-out shoes/boots etc. were already mentioned) I have had so little problems with blisters and sore feet in general.

Ultreia!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The subject of blisters is well covered elsewhere. I would repeat my previous comment...
BLISTERS:
This was my 4th camino. On the previous three I needed hospital treatment for severe blistering, which took much of the pleasure from the trek. I have tried all the usual remedies - Vaseline, powder, walking socks, massage, etc etc all to no avail.
This year I decided to use panty liners. If you fellows don't know about panty liners, just ask the lady in your life.
I would place the liner on the floor, sticky side UP, then carefully place my foot down onto it, so that it was at the same angle as my toes - and gave me protection along the ball of the big toe, and across the whole sole of my foot just below the toes. Just position it where you usually get blisters.
On occasion I had to buy the extra long liners/pads from chemists in Spain: the same principle applied, and the ends of the liner were simply folded across the top of my foot. I then put on my normal walking socks.
I am not suggesting for one moment that this will cure everyone's problems. Only that they cured mine. So it might be worth a try.
I also limited my walking distances to average no more than around 22-24 kms a day - ocassionally down to 15 kms.
If that helps just one of you to avoid blisters, my time has been well spent.
Buen camino! [Without blisters!]
" ...pictures...pictures...pictures...."
someone has to have gotten a picture of your routine!
Love it!

Hey, Al,

my Grandfather used to do this. He was shoemaker and even when he incidently cut his thumb or such, he went to ... where ... and ... did... and... it was OK in a matter of hours. As I child I was thinking he must have been a magician :D
There was an NPR segment sometime ago about people who had really stinky feet odor and they were advised to soak their feet in pee (urine)...
...interesting topic....

My first Camino I thought that logically one should harden their feet for such an experience, then speaking to many medical professionals none I found to agree on what is the best thing to do. then on to the internet I found conflicting information too. Should one harden or actually soften their feet.

I think it is very hard to give advice on how to handle feet as I really think different things work for different people.
First time I toughened my feet with alcohol prep and I had some blisters between my toes that I think came from thong sandles at the end of the day.
Wore trail running shoes, silk liners, smart wool socks.

Second time did nothing to my feet, wore silk liners, icebreaker socks and trail runners (Hokas) and had not a blimish. I walked some days in excess of 40kms, one at atleast 52.
I used body glide on the feet.
I oddly hardly ever take off my shoes during my days. Like some others I do talk to them and tell them to be good...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
" ...pictures...pictures...pictures...."
someone has to have gotten a picture of your routine!
Love it!
Hello dear shell follower!
Even if I HAD pictures of me in panty-liners I'd not dare to post them :D
You'll just have to use your imagination .....
S
x

Good boots, good socks and don't try to keep up with faster pilgrims. We never had a blister in 800 km.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It is sensible for each of us to discover what works for us, acknowledging that there is no one solution. I personally find inner and outers work best for me (but not infallibly). The Camino has a way of catching up with you sooner or later. Despite one following the same regime it has a habit of getting even after a few walks. That includes bed bugs, blisters, tendinitis, planar facilis, knee problems etc. Oh the joys! But of course all are small beer compared to the pure joy and rewards of the experiences! :):):):):):):):):):)

Had not read the bit about the panty liners but I have to say that in September I heard one pilgrim suggesting this to another whose bottom of the feet were RAW (he had been told by someone else to remove the skin of the blister and his blister on the ball of the foot must have been 2 inches across). But in this instance it was suggested he buy a thicker pad and put the sticky side on the side of the sock, so that the absorbant material would soak up the liquids from the wound and provide cushioning. So secure it in place: duck tape! Why this man wanted to walk the next day in this state is beyond me, and sure enough, our paths never crossed again, so I can't tell you how the story ended.

Soaking your feet in black tea for 15 minutes every night for a week is an old trick marathoners use. I'd recommend decaf, as we can absorb caffeine through our skin.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Visiting a qualified podiatrist [not a beautician] a couple of weeks before setting off is money well spent.
They will safely remove excess layers of skin, which prevents painful cracking, and check the nails are correctly trimmed to avoid ingrowing. My podiatrist advised moisturising with a cream such as CCS Foot Care Cream, but not between the toes, as that can encourage fungal infections. They can also check your gait, if you bring your boots with you.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back