• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Toulouse or Bordeaux

Terrri

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June 2013
September/October 2016
September/October 2019
Which town provides the best options for departing from by train to eventually get to STJPdP? They both cost about the same to fly into. On google maps Toulouse is a little farther to St Jean but not much. Would we have to get to Bayonne first to get to St Jean? If we do than it might appear the Bordeaux is the better option.

Also I just checked out Biarritz for a potential place to fly into and it is about $80 more but it takes 6 hours longer because of the layover in Lyon. Would it still be faster in the long if the times all worked out for catching a departing train from Bayonne?

It doesn't appear that the prices are going to go any lower so I want to purchase tickets soon before they go back up.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If memory serves me well the Toulouse-Bayonne train took about 4 or 5 hours, and the Bourdeaux-Bayonne about an hour or so-- if time is your consideration, go to Bourdeaux.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for your help. I am going to be flying out of Calgary, after driving 4 hours from BC. I will be returning thru Madrid.

As of this morning the times and prices are:
Bordeaux $1094 14 hours 5 min
Toulouse $1094 11 hours 45 min
Biarritz $1262 17 hours 10 min
Pau $1165 22 hours 35 min

Am I correct in assuming it is easier to fly into France rather than Spain to get to SJPdP? I am not in a big rush but would prefer to spend any extra time on a train or in a town rather than in an airport.

In light of the flight times you've given and a quick look on the internet, I've changed my advice and would recommend flying into either Toulouse or Biarritz.

This is my reasoning:

The train is faster from Bordeaux by about an hour and a half. However, the plane trip to Toulouse is faster by more than that.

Neither airport has train transfer to the city and the transfer bus from Toulouse leaves the airport every 20 minutes

http://www.frenchairportguide.com/tls/t ... trains.htm

whereas the one from Bordeaux Airport has a 45 minute schedule so you could be hanging around waiting for a while

http://www.frenchairportguide.com/bod/b ... trains.htm

No matter where you fly into, you are heading to Bayonne to catch the train to SJPdP. The air time to Biarritz is quite a bit longer than the other destinations and it is more expensive but there is a bus from the airport to the station in Bayonne so it's a lot less mucking around with transfers.

Thanks for the help. Those links are great Julie.

I will probably go with our original plan and fly into Toulouse. The idea of flying to Biarritz is also enticing but the extra 5 hours is spent in airports and we are carrying on our luggage so wouldn't feel too comfortable dozing off in an airport.

With the help of Margaret I have learned that if you fly into Charles de Gaul in Paris your only option for getting to Bayonne is to detour thru Bordeaux or take a bus into Paris to Gare Montaparnesse or Gare Austerlitz to get to Bayonne with no stops on the way.

Now to figure out times in order to make the proper connections with out being rushed.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Have you thought about hiring a car and driving from Toulouse to Biarritz, where you could leave it at the airport and bus to Bayonne? (I presume most of the major hire companies allow this?) It is a very beautiful drive and you could take your time. May not cost much more than train fares. Sorry not to have researched this for you as I live not far from there, but it will give you something to think about.

Maybe see you on the Way. Buen Camino, Karin

Thanks for the idea Karin, but with the time difference I will be arriving at what would be 3am for me. Too dangerous for me to be driving. We drove all over France a couple of years ago and loved seeing the differences in the scenery depending on what part of the country we were in. If you are leaving around the middle of May we might run into you.

The price to fly into Biarritz has all of a sudden jumped so that won't be an option anymore unless the price drops again soon.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back