• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tour to Poitiers versus Sancoins to Varzy for a 4-5 days camino

pasenes

Time of past OR future Camino
We are two in our 50s and will do 4-5 days Camino in France end of April.

We need to choose between
1- Tour to Poitiers
2- or Sancoins to Varzy

Can I ask for your help?

Our main concerns are:
1- how well each route above is marked and easy to follow without getting lost or having to find our way in the maps with the risk of getting lost
2- how easy it is in each of the paths to find lodging every 25kms (and are the lodgers open during covid time?).

we would choose the path that has less risk of getting lost or not finding accommodation to sleep each night.

if they were equivalent, which one is wilder and more natural i.e. encounter fewer roads, highways, industrial zones etc?

Thanks!!!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Tours to Poitiers is fairly gentle walking, but mostly on very minor roads. There are also tracks, quite dry at the moment. Some of it co-incides with the St Martin pilgrimage. Accommodation is not always easy, but hotels are mostly open at the moment. Feel free to PM me.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Tours to Poitiers is fairly gentle walking, but mostly on very minor roads. There are also tracks, quite dry at the moment. Some of it co-incides with the St Martin pilgrimage. Accommodation is not always easy, but hotels are mostly open at the moment. Feel free to PM me.
Thanks Barbara, would be happy to PM you with more questions for clarification but do not know how to PM with this platform...

What i do not really understand is whether in either or both of these tours 1- Tour to Poitiers 2- or Sancoins to Varzy, the marks to follow the track are perfect and we need no map nor GPS tracking and online maps, or whether we have to rely upon maps & GPS ... which one of the two is well market , if any.

It's called a conversation... Don't know why. Click on username and you will see some options. Then choose conversation and away you go..

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
What i do not really understand is whether in either or both of these tours 1- Tour to Poitiers 2- or Sancoins to Varzy, the marks to follow the track are perfect and we need no map nor GPS tracking and online maps, or whether we have to rely upon maps & GPS ... which one of the two is well market , if any.
Hello @pasenes
In 2014 I followed Le Voie de Tours in reverse from Bordeaux via Tours & Orleans to Paris. I didn't have a guide book (nor gps) until after Poitiers, just a brochure and notes gleaned from pelerins heading in the opposite direction. Occassionally I got a little confused but always reached where I was heading by the end of the day. Difficulties occurred before and after Poitiers due to construction work on the new TGV. In Massy locals advised me to follow la Coulée Verte du Sud Parisien (VTT) in to Paris rather than Le Chemin de Saint Jacques. It is a greener option...

I wrote more about it here: Paris to SJPDP Routing, replies #23 and #25

Bon Chemin!
Lovingkindness

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hello Has anyone recently walked any of the GR653A Via Aurelia towards Santiago de Compostela. I am in the Var area near Le Muy but cannot find any local info. I did find part of the route on...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.