• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tourist/Pilgrim/bicyclist balance?

Older Guy

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis -May 2016 by bike---Loved it
I am planning on doing the Camino in late April and most of May by bicycle (yes I will have a bell and be considerate, but mostly travel on the trail). One of the things that I want to do is balance being a tourist with the pilgrimage experience. I am planning on taking more time than I need to go from Pamplona to Santiago. That will give me some flex days for weather, resting, get a cold, or find someplace I really want to explore. Another thing I like to do when I travel is visit churches sit in them, pray and really look at them and what they are trying to say to me. I also want to spend time during the day at bars, restaurants, etc. to talk to other pilgrims.

On a previous trip to Porto Portugal, I took a bus to Santiago and on the bus ride back became fascinated listening to all the pilgrims sharing their stories with each other. When I was in SJPP this past summer, the young people and their excitement and fears were also wonderful to hear. When I do long bike rides (100-mile centuries), I like to take a break every 2 hours or so and refuel, either on food I carry or a light snacks purchased somewhere. This way I have lots of small meals that digest easily. It also helps me catch up on hydration so I don't bonk!

I plan to stay 2 to 3 days in Pamplona. I have been their before, but I want to use this as my starting point, where I get over jet lag, a time to talk to other pilgrims, see the sights as a pilgrim and get my head cleared prior to starting my Camino.

My next night I plan on staying in Estella. Actually, depending on when I arrive I may drop my gear at a hostel or A. and bike on to Irache. Because of the fame of the wine fountain, I kind of want to take the tour of the winery museum as a tourist. I enjoy touring wineries and doing a wine tasting. Not sure about drinking wine and biking back to Estella or doing a wine tasting early in the morning if I stop the first night at Estella. Actually, I do love Spanish Rioja wines. Two summers ago my wife and I did wine tourism of the Mosel & Burgundy valleys of France and this past summer of the Rhone valley.

Logrono sounds like an interesting university town and having a communal meal in the church in Granon sounds pretty special.

I plan on having a day in the heart of Burgos to explore its old town. Also planning on a half day or more exploring Burgos. Also I want to spend extra time exploring the old town and sights in Leon. Astorga also seems to have lots to see. While I have visited Santiago before and stayed overnight their, I expect that it will be a much different experience as a pilgrim and I want to spend at least a full day savoring that.

I am certain, that I could easily spend more time than I have available, but was hoping on advice for balance and how to make this both a wonderful tourist experience, while balancing it as a pilgrim with a limited amount of time. I also want a few contingency days as it appears that I can count on some rain in May, especially as I get closer to the mountains and taking a day off to stay out of the worst of a storm or cutting a day short to explore and dry out can do wonders for the spirit.

I am trying to temper my excitement and wanting to put things on my to see list with "going with the Flow" and letting the Camino provide me with my experience. Again, listening to pilgrims talk on the bus back to Porto, it was clear that the unexpected things were often the highlights of many pilgrims trips.

My plan is to have available for a mountain bike trip about 19 to 21 full days from the time I leave (after spending time getting over jet lag) Pamplona until I hop on a jet in Santiago for Madrid.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sounds like you have a great plan. Be sure to visit Ernest Hemmingway in Pamplona. He is just outside the bull ring. Don't skip some of the small town tourist opportunities, such as hiking up to the ruined castle in Castrojeriz.

Also, if you fill your bike bottle at a winery and just sip it from time to time, you'll find wine is an excellent high calorie energy drink.

A great tourist/pilgrim day can be spent with an extra day at the cathedral, rested and recovered, photographing people as they finish.

fuentedelvino.JPG ernie.JPG

finish.JPG

Last edited:
I plan to stay 2 to 3 days in Pamplona. I have been their before, but I want to use this as my starting point, where I get over jet lag, a time to talk to other pilgrims, see the sights as a pilgrim and get my head cleared prior to starting my Camino.

My next night I plan on staying in Estella. Actually, depending on when I arrive I may drop my gear at a hostel or A. and bike on to Irache. Because of the fame of the wine fountain, I kind of want to take the tour of the winery museum as a tourist. I enjoy touring wineries and doing a wine tasting. Not sure about drinking wine and biking back to Estella or doing a wine tasting early in the morning if I stop the first night at Estella. Actually, I do love Spanish Rioja wines. Two summers ago my wife and I did wine tourism of the Mosel & Burgundy valleys of France and this past summer of the Rhone valley.

Logrono sounds like an interesting university town and having a communal meal in the church in Granon sounds pretty special.

the Irache bodega tour and wine tasting in estella was fun (that's teh place with the wine fountain), mind you, it's not 'rioja' but the very decent 'navarra' DO. about an hour from pamplona and towards the aragon route of teh french camino is olite, wonderful medieval town for a day visit. i am sure you have been to eunate 2 km from puente la reina, my favourite church on teh camino. just north of logroño is Laguardia, another amazing medieval town with some spectacular bodegas ('rioja' country).
Buen camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would try to go with the flow more. As a cyclist if you stay in Logrono you will not stay in Santo Domingo, if you stay in Astorga you will not stay in Rabanal, there are many such choices along the way and there is no right answer. Just leave time to see all the things you want to see which 19-21 days easily gives you.

Buen Camino

I am planning on doing the Camino in late April and most of May by bicycle (yes I will have a bell and be considerate, but mostly travel on the trail). One of the things that I want to do is balance being a tourist with the pilgrimage experience. I am planning on taking more time than I need to go from Pamplona to Santiago. That will give me some flex days for weather, resting, get a cold, or find someplace I really want to explore. Another thing I like to do when I travel is visit churches sit in them, pray and really look at them and what they are trying to say to me. I also want to spend time during the day at bars, restaurants, etc. to talk to other pilgrims.

On a previous trip to Porto Portugal, I took a bus to Santiago and on the bus ride back became fascinated listening to all the pilgrims sharing their stories with each other. When I was in SJPP this past summer, the young people and their excitement and fears were also wonderful to hear. When I do long bike rides (100-mile centuries), I like to take a break every 2 hours or so and refuel, either on food I carry or a light snacks purchased somewhere. This way I have lots of small meals that digest easily. It also helps me catch up on hydration so I don't bonk!

I plan on having a day in the heart of Burgos to explore its old town. Also planning on a half day or more exploring Burgos. Also I want to spend extra time exploring the old town and sights in Leon. Astorga also seems to have lots to see. While I have visited Santiago before and stayed overnight their, I expect that it will be a much different experience as a pilgrim and I want to spend at least a full day savoring that.

I am certain, that I could easily spend more time than I have available, but was hoping on advice for balance and how to make this both a wonderful tourist experience, while balancing it as a pilgrim with a limited amount of time. I also want a few contingency days as it appears that I can count on some rain in May, especially as I get closer to the mountains and taking a day off to stay out of the worst of a storm or cutting a day short to explore and dry out can do wonders for the spirit.

I am trying to temper my excitement and wanting to put things on my to see list with "going with the Flow" and letting the Camino provide me with my experience. Again, listening to pilgrims talk on the bus back to Porto, it was clear that the unexpected things were often the highlights of many pilgrims trips.

My plan is to have available for a mountain bike trip about 19 to 21 full days from the time I leave (after spending time getting over jet lag) Pamplona until I hop on a jet in Santiago for Madrid.

Hi there I was wondering where you are getting your bike from ( I am assuming you are renting one ) I am planing my trip for early April and was going to use the services of Bicigrino but having difficulties with there website finding an English speaking version I had been on it before with no problems but recently I had a google warning saying the site had been hacked and I do not know if that is just a coincidence that I cannot find the English version now any advice would be welcome

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As a cyclist if you stay in Logrono you will not stay in Santo Domingo,

Every time we have biked it we have stayed in both towns. It is a nice 50 km day on the trail.

@Ajrk if you use Google Chrome(tm) as a browser it will provide an automatic translation of the web-page. That said I've just accessed the site and not encountered any problems. The language selector is at the very top of the page on http://www.bicigrino.info/tienda_virtual/en/
Thank you so much for that link I got straight through to the English version I think part of my problem was using Duck duck go with Safari as they are super sensitive what sites they let you get on to thanks again for the reply

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi there Older Guy,

Sounds like you have a good plan for your Camino. Some of the things I would add for a great pilgrim experience are:

Visit the beautiful churches in Los Arcos and Viana.

Treat yourself in Logrono and visit Calle Laurel which is famous for its tapas bars.

Visit the Neanderthal Museum at Atapuerca.

Visit Nia and Mau's house in Castrojeriz named The Hospital for the Soul.

Visit the Templarios castle in Ponferrada.

Visit the Monastery at Samos.

Treat yourself in Melide at the Pulperia A Garnacha to their famous pulpo (octopus).

Visit the pilgrim statues at Monte de Gozo which are a little off the Camino route, but where you get your first sighting of Santiago Cathedral from about 3 miles away.

These are a personal choice of course. :)

Buen Camino,

Mike

...Also, if you fill your bike bottle at a winery and just sip it from time to time, you'll find wine is an excellent high calorie energy drink...
Something to consider: I know there are no "rules" on the Camino, but in most discussions I've had and read about concerning the wine fountain at Irache, the prevailing opinion has been that it's really not good form to fill a bottle at the fountain but rather just a take a cup full or less for enjoyment at the site. In fact, if I recall correctly, there is a sign at the site that discourages filling bottles at the fountain.

Something to consider: I know there are no "rules" on the Camino, but in most discussions I've had and read about concerning the wine fountain at Irache, the prevailing opinion has been that it's really not good form to fill a bottle at the fountain but rather just a take a cup full or less for enjoyment at the site. In fact, if I recall correctly, there is a sign at the site that discourages filling bottles at the fountain.

Sounds reasonable. I would assume they are overwhelmed by the current crowds. The last time I was there, they were out, and someone went inside to see if they had more. They hooked up a new barrel and filled our bottles for us.

This was the only sign:

vino.JPG

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Part of why I want to tour the wine museum and do a tasting within the winery is to buy a couple bottles of their wine that I like the best.....To help pay things forward. I realize that the winery is being very generous to provide a sip of wine to passing pilgrims and that it is now a commercial enterprise no longer run by the Monnestary.

I believe that there is also a sign saying to not drink the wine unless you are of a certain age.

I do like the picture which loosely translates......"If you want to get strength and vitality with Santiago, check this great wine and drink a toast to happiness." It will be fun to drink that toast!

Last edited:
In Burgos, visit the Casa del Cordon, palace where Columbus met the Reyes Catolicos after one of his voayges. Also do some research on places to eat: a few years ago Burgos was Gastronomic World Capital.

In Logrono, on the last Sunday of the month, at 12:3o, the church of San Bartolome mass is with Gregorian chanting.

Do not miss the church of Eunate just outside of Puente La Reina and as you leave Melide, not even a km the church of Santa Maria. Get some explanations from the people tending it.

Have lunch in Astorga: its famous Cocido Maragato. You may not be able to pedal after eating so much but it's an experience you will not forget.

This is becoming a very good thread---worth a trip just to do all the suggestions!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Lock your bike even for the short stops. I met a Dutch man who had his bicycle stolen in Logrono when he went into a bar to use the bathroom. He had ridden from his home in Rotterdam without a problem.

The wine fountain is not 24 hours. When the box/cask of wine is gone, it may not be replenished until the next day.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Sounds reasonable. I would assume they are overwhelmed by the current crowds. The last time I was there, they were out, and someone went inside to see if they had more. They hooked up a new barrel and filled our bottles for us.

Unfortunently the wine fountain in on the tourist bus route and when I was there it was so crowded with tourists that I could not even see the wine fountain so I just kept riding past.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Hi, if you want to be a tourist and only use the bicycle to run check:

http://www.pilgrim.es/productos/servicios/

They have a lot of services for bags, bicycles and other things that may help you to have a better experience of the Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back