• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Towel - Help!

The diapers I used on my boys in the very late 70's were cotton, but not flannel. They were already pre-formed when purchased, and came with many extra layers in the center to absorb the "water". I do not see how all those many thick layers could dry quickly, so would not choose them for use on a Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have traded my micro fibre slimes towel to a head turned. Traded the turban for a tea towel, now I have decided on a muslin baby swaddling cloth. It is absorbent, soft, covers my body and it weighs next to nothing. It also dries super fast! Yeah.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My first Camino I used one of those small microfiber towels and I hated it. It was no better than a squeegee for drying, sticky, and left lint behind. I usually hang on to worthless stuff for a while, but that thing was so aggravating, I promptly got rid of it.

So the next time out, I thought I would use my old travel towel, cotton and paper thin, given to me many years ago already well-worn, by a dear friend. It’s got a design printed on it of these odd little creatures, holding their bellies and laughing like crazy. It’s adorable. It’s not quite full sized, but midway between a hand and bath towel. I have taken it on camping trips and travels all over. Perfect! Until I weighed it, and compared it to a larger, fluffy, terry cloth microfiber towel at REI. Sorry, I don’t remember the actual weights, but the cotton one was definitely heavier. So I bought a new microfiber one. It worked fine, but the only problem was that I often saw identical towels on the clothesline at albergues. The other problem is that I really strongly prefer natural fibers, and it is plasticky.

The next time I will either embroider a few little flowers or something identifying on my microfiber towel or bring my old worn out cotton one because the weight is worth it.

I also like the idea of a large linen panel, suggested by someone above. Linen is light weight and dries super quickly. It’s really soft once it is broken in.

Decisions, decisions. Unfortunately, I have a long time to think about all of this.

Last edited:
Funny how something so simple can cause such a discussion.

I've used a rather fluffy tiny microfiber towel first, lost ist... got a very thin and light weight microfiber one as a gift, after I lost the first one, lost that too... used a thin linen one, lost it (an antique, I really miss that one!).... Used a T-Shirt whenever I had lost another towel (lost one of the shirts, too, once, but found another).

If you're more dry than before after using whatever towel or rag you have, isn't that enough...?

Ahh, luxuries... I just bought a small half linen/half cotton one, hoping it will stay with me for a while!

I have tried most of the type traveltowels,but ended up with bringing two small microfiber kitchentowels, the ones you dry your glasses with. 20x40cm, with a waffeled pattern in the cloth, one for hair and face, one for the rest. Much better than any bigger microfiber traveltowel and weighs nothing and dries quickly.Doesn’t cost much either.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Sorry if this is in the many replies above, but apparently a baby muslin works wonders. Cotton, lightweight and dries in a flash. I will be trying one on my next camino.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi all - have been going to Camino for years and just have never ever been able to work out the towel thing - something that actually dries you without sticking to you, is long enough for the sudden modesty need, and is light.

I have tried so many different things. My best was an old well-washed and worn towel that because it was old and thin, but still 100% cotton, was quite the thing - that sort of worked (wore out though, was too old).

Have tried micro-fibre towels before - but what on earth are they about? You stay damp, they stick to you .. what is the point?

The reason I am posting is that I accidentally bought a new travel towel (accidentally as I was in a trekking shop and it was half price - can't resist a bargain, me).

Is a Summit Microfibre Travel Towel - Large, 120 x 60 cms. Apparently it is 'compact and super soft'. I just tried it at home and to be fair it is the best micro-fibre I have yet used - but I still ended up damp, and it still sort of stuck to me unless I really pulled it. I have put it in the washing machine and it will stay there and go through loads of cycles each time I do a laundry, in the hope that it will improve in some way.

So - my post - towel - Help! what have you come up with that works? Actually dries the body, doesn't stick, is light??
I'd go for the worn, old towel option - works well, compact and low cost!

Hi all - have been going to Camino for years and just have never ever been able to work out the towel thing - something that actually dries you without sticking to you, is long enough for the sudden modesty need, and is light.

I have tried so many different things. My best was an old well-washed and worn towel that because it was old and thin, but still 100% cotton, was quite the thing - that sort of worked (wore out though, was too old).

Have tried micro-fibre towels before - but what on earth are they about? You stay damp, they stick to you .. what is the point?

The reason I am posting is that I accidentally bought a new travel towel (accidentally as I was in a trekking shop and it was half price - can't resist a bargain, me).

Is a Summit Microfibre Travel Towel - Large, 120 x 60 cms. Apparently it is 'compact and super soft'. I just tried it at home and to be fair it is the best micro-fibre I have yet used - but I still ended up damp, and it still sort of stuck to me unless I really pulled it. I have put it in the washing machine and it will stay there and go through loads of cycles each time I do a laundry, in the hope that it will improve in some way.

So - my post - towel - Help! what have you come up with that works? Actually dries the body, doesn't stick, is light??
I've been using 30cm x 30cm micro fiber shop rags. They're cheap and last forever. I noticed shop towel vary in softness and absorbency. Those sold at autobody shops tend to be softer and dry faster. One does the job for me, but you can alway use two if you're looking to get dryer than an Egyptian mummy. Safety pin it on your pack and it'll dry in an hour depending on the weather.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hello,
Have you tried the microfibre towel called in the USA "Shamwow". Available on Amazon. Lightweight, quick drying, incredibly absorbent, durable, machine washable. Pedro from Texas

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I walked the full Frances in 2016, carrying my pack. I took a full size reg. beach towel. My 1 and only luxury item. I loved it !
I'm returning in 30 days to walk for 3 months. Starting with Lisbon to Santiago then the Northern from Irun into the Primitive to Santiago and finally Finesterr and Muxia.
My Beach towel is coming again.
Nothing felt better after my days walk then wrapping up in that towel after my shower.
Everyone chooses differently.
My fully loaded pack weighs in at 13lbs

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.