• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Towels

pookiebear2002

Time of past OR future Camino
Future not sure when, but want to walk it all probably alone as difficult getting someone to come
Hi every one,at the places to stay each night, each on the Camino, do they give you a towel to use or do you have to pack one and try to dry it each day? Thanks, Billie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
That depends on where you choose to stay. If you stay in private rooms in hotels and pensions then you will almost certainly have towels provided. But if you stay in albergues then you will have to bring your own towel and dry it as best you can. Some people choose to bring quick-drying microfleece towels. My own preference is to use a very light cotton sarong which can also be worn to/from the shower and if dry enough as a pillowcase on occasion.

Hi every one,at the places to stay each night, each on the Camino, do they give you a towel to use or do you have to pack one and try to dry it each day? Thanks, Billie
Unless you are staying in a hostal/private albergue I suggest you pack one.
Either a microfibre one or something like a fouta Turkish towel.
(So basically what @Bradypus just said!)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Personally, I hate the feel of the microfiber tek towels - they are kind of grabby on the skin.
My Sea to Summit microfiber towel was like that, but my Packtowl Ultralite is not "grabby". At only 3.4 ounces/96 grams it is the lightest full size (25“ x 54"/64 x 137cm) towel that I've found .

I have gone from someone who confidently thought she already had everything she'd need for the Camino to someone who is continually finding the better than what I already have options. Now I have just replaced my heavier REI multi towel with this ultralite towel. Thanks for the info!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

If staying in Albergues you need a towel. I bought a microfiber terrycloth version that was large enough to really work (small ones get saturated before you are really dry). I hung it on the outside of my pack to dry. I attached a picture of me and said towel in Portomarín last June. Buen Camino 4B427A02-7D69-45FD-A785-E950B99F9F11.jpeg

You'll need something for sure. Personally, I hate the feel of the microfiber tek towels - they are kind of grabby on the skin. Use one and you'll know what I mean.

I use scottish woven linen. It's light, super absorbent and dries quickly.

https://trakke.co.uk/collections/travel-accessories/products/linen-travel-towel

That looks lovely!!
I took a travel towel. It is icky, but works. Also took a cotton dish towel - big square, like a cloth diaper - that worked for a lot of things though not quite big enough for a sarong.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That depends on where you choose to stay. If you stay in private rooms in hotels and pensions then you will almost certainly have towels provided. But if you stay in albergues then you will have to bring your own towel and dry it as best you can. Some people choose to bring quick-drying microfleece towels. My own preference is to use a very light cotton sarong which can also be worn to/from the shower and if dry enough as a pillowcase on occasion.
Photos would be helpful😱

Actually to be strictly accurate mine is an Indian lungi rather than a sarong. But very few people outside India seem to recognise the word so I often say 'sarong' to avoid confusion :)
lungi.jpg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You'll need something for sure. Personally, I hate the feel of the microfiber tek towels - they are kind of grabby on the skin. Use one and you'll know what I mean.

I use scottish woven linen. It's light, super absorbent and dries quickly.

https://trakke.co.uk/collections/travel-accessories/products/linen-travel-towel
What many (most?) People don't realize is that the microfibre towels actually dry better if you wet them first. Sounds stupid (
as I told my wife when she suggested I try it - lol) but it is true.

Sadly, my wonderful krama from Cambodia is a bit too heavy, but I have a light cotton scarf for a towel, post-shower wrap, and light blanket.

Actually to be strictly accurate mine is an Indian lungi rather than a sarong. But very few people outside India seem to recognise the word so I often say 'sarong' to avoid confusion :)
View attachment 54935
Ah hah!
I lived in India as a child and remember the lungi well...very comfortable, I would say. And obviously more convertible than I knew😀

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What many (most?) People don't realize is that the microfibre towels actually dry better if you wet them first. Sounds stupid (
as I told my wife when she suggested I try it - lol) but it is true.
That's probably true. I don't use a microfibre towel, so I can't say for certain. Most people probably use fabric conditioner in their washing machine. This has the effect of sort of waterproofing material, including towels. So if you wet them first, then wring them out, they will dry better. I use a flannel (face-cloth) to absorb almost all the water on my body, wringing it out frequently. Then I sometimes don't need to use a dry towel at all -- I'm dry enough to put my clothes on. As my head hair is short and getting thin on the ground, I don't need a towel to dry it.

Took two microfibre cleaning cloths I bought in a supermarket. Washed with one, wrung it out, blotted up first batch of water, took the second (dry) one, finished up drying off. Worked a charm, both dry by morning.

Hello - I don’t bother bringing a towel. I bring a face cloth (called a flannel in England) and dry myself off with that. A T-shirt wrapped around my head to dry hair, and I could easily use T-shirt to dry off too, making the face cloth unneeded. In albergues, you’re not walking around in a towel wrapped around you, it’s not a spa atmosphere. Hotels a pleasant occasional break because of towels and sheets. Hope this helps and have a good trip

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have long, thick hair and I use my buff to dry it. I pull it on over my hair and sort of twist it around turban style.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.