• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Towns to spend an Extra Day and places to Splurge

gvmelissa

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP - SdC 2014
Porto - SdC 2016
Norte - 2018
Ing/Fin/Sdc 2019
We are leaving for Porto tomorrow. We have a few days available to linger and explore along the way. What towns would you spend an extra day in on the Porto-Santiago route - and why?

Also - Any special splurge stays along that route? We LOVED our splurge stay at the Parador in Leon where we found a special Pilgrim price. We had a lovely room and the most amazing breakfast on our Frances Camino It would be fun to have a splurge stay on our Camino Portuguese..

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi: If you are not already planning to, I would spend a couple of full days in Porto. There is lots to see and do: the port warehouses, getting the view from the top bridge, the cathedral and numerous churches, the famous bookstore (Livre Lello?), walking or taking a tram down to the ocean, sitting by the river having a drink or two .....

Another town I liked and could spend an extra day in is Pontevedre. A very nice "old city". There was a music festival on when I was there in July. I just liked the vibe.

If you are taking the coastal route, Baiona would be an option, but only if the weather is nice. It's a bit touristy, but there is the castle (which I believe is a Parador), the beach, lots of restaurants and shops ......

I did not "splurge", so I cannot help out there. Have a great trip!

Hi: If you are not already planning to, I would spend a couple of full days in Porto.

Thanks Doogman - we are planning to spend 2 nights in Porto, so a day and a half to explore. Then off walking. I'll be sure to check out Pontevedra, sounds like our kind of town.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I second staying an extra night in Porto. Also, Valenca has great charm if you spend time in the old fortified town. You could splurge on a Pousada (Portuguese Parador) there or simply have lunch in the town and then walk across the bridge over the river Mino into Spain and stay in the Tui Parador with pilgrim rates.
I also liked Pontevedre, and Ponte de Lima and found Barcelos to be a very friendly town with lots of good restaurants - beware the enormous portions!) and a welcoming church offering a Pilgrim's Blessing to all those attending the evening Mass.

Bom Caminho!

Hi Gvmelissa, Just back from completing Porto to Santiago camino with my wife Brid......Had a fabulous time. Would definitely recommend 2 days in Porto itself. Sandeman Post museum and wonderful food when you spend time in Ribeira and also crossing over Pont Luis bridge to Gaia where most of the port cellars are located. Evening mass in Barcelos with special blessing for Peregrinos was very moving. Casa Fernanda will always remain a highlight of our journey (needs to be booked) .......just a special place with a magical night in Fernanda's kitchen. Her husband and daughter helping to serve fabulous food. Followed by homemade white wine...firewater and a great sing song !

Ponte de Lima is really picturesque and a good place to take an extra day before the big climb to Rubiaes. Valenca is lovely also and has a Pousada at the end of town:
Restaurante da pousada de Valença do Minho

before crossing the bridge into Spain where Tui has a Parador.
Parador de Tui

Buen Camino
Ger

We are leaving for Porto tomorrow. We have a few days available to linger and explore along the way. What towns would you spend an extra day in on the Porto-Santiago route - and why?

Also - Any special splurge stays along that route? We LOVED our splurge stay at the Parador in Leon where we found a special Pilgrim price. We had a lovely room and the most amazing breakfast on our Frances Camino It would be fun to have a splurge stay on our Camino Portuguese..
If you walk the caminho Português Central from Porto via São Pedro de Rates, Barcelos, Ponte de Lima etc. stay a second night in Barcelos and take the bus or train to Braga. It is nearby about 20 kms.
Braga is a beautifull town and the highlite is the Bom Jesus do Monte church, a world heritage protected place. Highly recommended

The day after walk to Casa Fernanda ,18 kms from Barcelos on the caminho path.
My wife and I were hospitaleiros there several times. Give Fernanda and her husband Jacinto a big hug from Albertinho and Nel ,my wife.
You won't regret it

Bom caminho

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I would suggest you get a copy of the Brierly guide as it has all relvant information of the places you could stop at that are on route or a detour.

Baiona yes for the Parador, its beaches and walkways, the Old Town,restaurants, Carabela La Pinta Museum, Navigation Museum, and bars,shops, friendly people

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back