• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tracker map apps

BonitaHolland

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting 3rd Sep 2016
Does anyone have experience of using a tracker map app please? My walking friend Katy is a journalist and will be writing a blog as we go along and wants to be able to allow followers to see where we've got to. There appear to be several options....thoughts from experience please of using any of these.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Bonita - I use Motion-X GPS for my iPhone and it allows a simple way to share my daily tracks by email for Facebook. The recipients can all be set up with email addresses before you leave home and it's really very simple to use. I'm sure there are other good options too but this one worked well for me. Buen Camino!

If you use an Android device consider OSMand+

Apart from maps one can also create a .GPS file for sharing. Put the app into the background each time you look at the map, to conserve battery life.

Kia kaha ( be strong, have courage, get going )

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That is a great idea, I wonder if you could use a program like that on both your phones to keep track of each other & your phones if 1 gets stolen. They get taken a lot. After Denise disappeared an ap like that can give family a good tool. It is not for everyone. But I would use it for family

That is a great idea, I wonder if you could use a program like that on both your phones to keep track of each other & your phones if 1 gets stolen. They get taken a lot. After Denise disappeared an ap like that can give family a good tool. It is not for everyone. But I would use it for family
Interesting idea, thanks for that. I'm not sure why so many phones get 'taken' though?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My walking friend Katy is a journalist and will be writing a blog as we go along and wants to be able to allow followers to see where we've got to.

I have an app called "My GPS Coordinates", a free Android application (it serves ads.) See https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gpscoordinatesandlocation

With the smartphone's location service set to "on" the app prints your latitude and longitude on the screen. There are some buttons to share this with other apps and you can also copy the data to the clipboard (via a menu). If you cannot be shown an ad (such as if you are in airplane mode) it still works.

When you share with email you get a canned message like the following to which you can insert a subject line, attach photos and add and edit text (like: "We finally made it! See attached pics. However, Mary broke her ...") and then send the message.

The canned message looks like (6 lines of text):

Latitude : 42.880588 (42° 52′ 50″ N)
Longitude : -8.544630 (8° 32′ 41″ W)
accuracy of signal : 9 m
show on google maps

https://maps.google.com?q=42.880588,-8.544630

This message was sent with My GPS Coordinates, a free Android application

Must be a good black market for them. In the cities don't leave it plugged in & be more than 3m away. Almost a magic trick how quick they can disappear.
I have an app called "My GPS Coordinates", a free Android application (it serves ads.) See https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gpscoordinatesandlocation

With the smartphone's location service set to "on" the app prints your latitude and longitude on the screen. There are some buttons to share this with other apps and you can also copy the data to the clipboard (via a menu). If you cannot be shown an ad (such as if you are in airplane mode) it still works.

When you share with email you get a canned message like the following to which you can insert a subject line, attach photos and add and edit text (like: "We finally made it! See attached pics. However, Mary broke her ...") and then send the message.

The canned message looks like (6 lines of text):

Latitude : 42.880588 (42° 52′ 50″ N)
Longitude : -8.544630 (8° 32′ 41″ W)
accuracy of signal : 9 m
show on google maps

https://maps.google.com?q=42.880588,-8.544630

This message was sent with My GPS Coordinates, a free Android application
Thank you for the detail I'll pass this along to my friend. I have an apple phone and am planning on using the View Ranger app to send beacon messages back home.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.