• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tracking my walk day by day on a map

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Is there an iPhone/Apple app that would track and record the progress of my walk for family and friends?

If I remember correctly I saw a forummember recently using this app.

Don't know if this is the kind you are looking for?

That was fast, thanks Sabine! Looks like it could be what I am looking for. As it's free, I'll check it out. Will report back here thereafter.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Find Penguins is a good travel blog app that shows your progress on a map.

Like this

find penguins map.JPG

Each spot can be clicked on and they can read the post that you made from that place.

Find Penguins is a good travel blog app that shows your progress on a map.

Like this

View attachment 104610

Each spot can be clicked on and they can read the post that you made from that place.
Thanks Trecile, will check this out too 👍

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi. I use Gaia GPS. You can put in waymarkers, take photos through it, see distance, elevation, time and the really neat thing is you can combine all your tracks into 1 trip/route through the website.

Catherine

Check out Polar Steps: great blogging app that shows your progress across a map

Traveling solo, I posted a few photos and some notes on Polarsteps every night, on my 2018 Camino. Family and friends could look in on my journey at any point to read and comment on my notes. I used this app and stayed away from the distractions of Facebook and other rabbit holes I was in danger of falling into, keeping my focus on the Way. I used the phone only for taking photos, posting on my Polarsteps account, and reading a book before sleep.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Does this work with the Fitbit? TIA!

There are many such apps. You can even use Google maps to do this in real time. I would suggest a trial run before you leave home, though. Some of them are aimed at cyclists but work for walkers as well. Komoot does real time if you get the paid version.
I record my route on Sitytrail, which has the best maps, but it doesn't do a real time share. I then use the track as the basis for a route on the Tours Eastern route guide that I am doing with the collaboration of the. Confraternity of Saint James. Its up on their website in Beta test if anyone is interested.

I always use polarsteps. Polarsteps uses low battery for the gps. Thats fine.
Family can see where you are, you can put text, photos and video.
And when you're at home it all can be (almost) automaticaly printed in a very nice photobook.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Does this work with the Fitbit? TIA!
Relive can, but doesn't easily, work with fitbit. You have to export your raw GPS data from the fitbit app after a sync, and then import it into the Relive app. Some fitbit trackers do not have the ability to export raw data either, so your result may vary.

Is there an iPhone/Apple app that would track and record the progress of my walk for family and friends?

I use Relive and it is fine, especially the feature that builds little videos of your walk / ride / whatever … app is free to start but they will harrass you relentlessly to join up and pay the monthly subscription to be part of their «community» … don’t get me wrong, I like it and I use it from time to time …

if you are simply looking for a good reliable app to record your steps and your stages I think that «Trails» app does a great job … until I got a .gps watch I used it every day to record my traces … and in 2019 used it to record every stage of more than 900km of walking on the Via Podiensis in France [the path that links with the Camino Frances] …

it is easy to use and they don’t badger me for more 😉

The OsmAnd app (IOS and Android versions) records tracks and works well for me.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I use wikiloc to get GPS tracks to follow on untraveled caminos, so the easiest thing for me is to record my track on wikiloc and then save/post it.

You can see how it works here.
https://www.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/user.do?id=639379

I have used it for both walks and bike rides and it works great, because you can take a picture and it will be located at the spot where you took it on the track (if that makes sense).

Buen camino, Laurie

I am not sure about iPhone/Apple apps, but I carry a SPOT device. I keep it on whenever I am on the Camino or trails at home. You can designate who has access to the file. It updates your location every 10 minutes and puts a "footprint" wherever you are. It has the added advantage of an emergency button that can get help to you or someone you come across in a matter of minutes wherever you are.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I recently started using 'Avenza Maps' for hiking both on-track and in off-track wilderness, eg South-west Tasmania. Plan also to use it for regular New Zealand South Island trips. I will definitely be using it for my (postponed) Camino trip once the virus related issues return to something like normal. The basic app is free and it is all you need for a hiking trip. Maps are available in the Avenza map store; some are free and some are available for a reasonable price. The app is easy to use and there is a very good on-line contact service for advice, which I have used. The tracking and navigation facilities are very good. Use it with the phone in 'flight-mode' and battery life is also very good. It will provide a good option for recording your Camino trip.
Buen Camino

I am overwhelmed by the many tips received, thank you all. Unfortunately, I lack the time to test all the suggested apps but as I promised to give feedback, here it is:

RELIVE
I chose it for a full test because of the many recommendations but also because I found, that Efren Gonzales uses it; a good reference.
The app is relatively intuitive to use. The basic free-of-charge version is very plain and the limitations are frustrating, for instance, there is only one background music available, you want more, you pay. Same for many other features that soon become desirable, once you use the app. They offer a monthly fee of a reasonable 3 €, which can be canceled anytime. Along with the current free trial of one month, this should well cover a full Camino including self-training before- and editing after the walk.
I have not tested all the features but judging the free version, they are well thought.
I will choose Relive for the purpose of giving my friends the possibility to follow my Camino, because of its simplicity and also because I will record my Camino in parallel on video, in which I'll invest some ambition. Relive can be integrated therein in a useful way.

FINDPENGUINE
This app has many more features and enables to do complex recording of journeys.
Recomendable for ambitious Peregrinos, this app replaces all other diaries and videos. After a day or two of self-training, it offers entertaining results that will impress your friends.

IRRITATING
Both apps keep on sending spam mail after downloading, sometimes several per day. And of course, both try hard to get a direct link to your wallet.

Buen Camino

IRRITATING
Both apps keep on sending spam mail after downloading, sometimes several per day. And of course, both try hard to get a direct link to your wallet
I'm surprised to hear that. I have both apps, and I rarely receive emails from either of them.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.