• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tradition…. When to start wearing your scallop shell?

I pick up a small stone to bring back home which I put with other stones I have collected from around the world as momentos.
I do a similar thing as I collect stones and shells from various travels.
On my recent Via Francigenica walk last fall some of the paths were made using recycled broken tile pieces mixed with gravel. I was fascinated by the variety of colors intermingled so I collected a few tiny interesting pieces to take home as momentos.
IMG_20230313_180634295~2.jpgScreenshot_20230313-182820~2.png

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I had been waiting until we finished our pilgrimage at Santiago de compostela, but then was given a scallop shell in O Cebriero, by the father of a family who invited my son and I to join them for lunch. Upon finding out we didn't have shells he left the restaurant and ran to the tourist shop nearby. -- Later, I gave that shell to a friend who was going to walk the camino with her teenage daughter.

Now, on my everyday small backpack, I have a small metal scallop shell and a tau cross. To those who know, the shell identifies me as a pilgrim and the tau as a follower of Christ.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I've never worn a shell - but now I have cloth badges from Camigas, this website and the Norwegian pilgrim symbol on my backpack.
Ooooh, now you got me wondering. What is the Norwegian pilgrim symbol? I was planning on getting a red T for the hiking association, but maybe a pilgrim symbol as well ❤️

Ooooh, now you got me wondering. What is the Norwegian pilgrim symbol? I was planning on getting a red T for the hiking association, but maybe a pilgrim symbol as well ❤️
This is the symbol used to mark the pilgrim routes to Trondheim.

This is the symbol used to mark the pilgrim routes to Trondheim.

Thank you! Should have thought of it myself.

Got lost in Oslo in September, got of on the wrong train stop, wondered around for an hour through industrial areas to get to my hotel, and suddenly I came across the Pilgrim signs 🥰
D0EFEE9C-912F-4952-B7A0-F5FC54155FAB.jpeg

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have made pilgrimage to Rome (so I can wear a key), and to Santiago (a shell). Now I just need to get to Jerusalem (palms).

The friend with whom I walked my first Camino came from Orkney and her family gave her a shell from the beach there and one for me. We tied them to our backpacks with tartan ribbon which had presented itself to us out of the blue. We then caught the first of several trains to SJPP. we were hailed with several ‘Buen Camino!’s on our way through London and Paris - which felt very special indeed.
After that first Camino I bought a backpack. The one I carried on the CF was a borrowed one as I had never owned a bp and did not expect to walk more than one Camino 🤣
my Orkney scallop shell has now viewed the VdlP backwards, attached to the back of my very own backpack and waiting to likewise view the Invierno this autumn, fingers crossed

For first timers, do you start wearing your scallop shell when you start the camino, or only after you have finished?

I purchased one from the Camino Forum store before my first Camino and wore it on my backpack from the start of both that and my second Camino which I recently completed. And from what I observed while doing both Caminos the vast majority of my fellow pilgrims generally did the same.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
The logical thing for me to do is bring a Kindle, but TBH I like books, and for me leaving electronic gubbins behind while I do the Camino, appeals. I am thinking of taking one book on The...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.