• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traditional Anglican Services, September 2015

Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 1977 by train. Many since then by foot. Next one ASAP.
My second Camino: this time I'll be walking from Los Arcos to Astorga, and then from Villafranca del Bierzo to Sarria, in September 2015. Depart Los Arcos 4 September, expect to arrive Santiago 27 September. Want to do the Meseta, which I skipped first time around....

I'll have my "mobile Mass kit" with me and hope to offer English language services whenever circumstances permit, using the historic Anglican (1928 American) Book of Common Prayer. I'll ask for permission to use the side chapels of the wonderful Roman churches that I pass along the Way, (there are no Anglican churches, of course), but do not expect to get permission, sigh! So I suppose that most of my services will be al fresco.... God won't mind.... And, when I judge an Anglican service impossible, I'll gratefully and humbly attend local Roman services -- w/o receiving, out of respect for the stated preferences of the Roman Church.

If we meet along the Way.... cool!

Under no circumstances will I argue or debate with you about matters of faith. That's not why I'm walking the Way. You might be surprised at how laid back and ecumenical a very traditional Anglican Catholic priest can actually be! I will not ask to see your paperwork if you want to receive Communion at my hands.... (My bishop might fuss about that, but hey! It's the Camino! And it's not the bishop's supper, it's the Lord's....)

I'll also hear confessions, if necessary -- but surely nobody posting on this Forum will have anything to confess, eh?! :)

Pax

Fr. Jeffrey -- "Rappahannock_Rev"

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My second Camino: this time I'll be walking from Los Arcos to Astorga, and then from Villafranca del Bierzo to Sarria, in September 2015. Depart Los Arcos 4 September, expect to arrive Santiago 27 September. Want to do the Meseta, which I skipped first time around....

I'll have my "mobile Mass kit" with me and hope to offer English language services whenever circumstances permit, using the historic Anglican (1928 American) Book of Common Prayer. I'll ask for permission to use the side chapels of the wonderful Roman churches that I pass along the Way, (there are no Anglican churches, of course), but do not expect to get permission, sigh! So I suppose that most of my services will be al fresco.... God won't mind.... And, when I judge an Anglican service impossible, I'll gratefully and humbly attend local Roman services -- w/o receiving, out of respect for the stated preferences of the Roman Church.

If we meet along the Way.... cool!

Under no circumstances will I argue or debate with you about matters of faith. That's not why I'm walking the Way. You might be surprised at how laid back and ecumenical a very traditional Anglican Catholic priest can actually be! I will not ask to see your paperwork if you want to receive Communion at my hands.... (My bishop might fuss about that, but hey! It's the Camino! And it's not the bishop's supper, it's the Lord's....)

I'll also hear confessions, if necessary -- but surely nobody posting on this Forum will have anything to confess, eh?! :)

Pax

Fr. Jeffrey -- "Rappahannock_Rev"
Greetings I am an Old Roman catholic priest and have done 7 Camino's. I usually bring along with me holy oils in case of sickness or death. I do not celebrate Mass along the way nor do I attend novus ordo..nevertheless each to his own and hope you have a safe and a Buen Camino. In Christ always, niel+

Greetings I am an Old Roman catholic priest and have done 7 Camino's. I usually bring along with me holy oils in case of sickness or death. I do not celebrate Mass along the way nor do I attend novus ordo..nevertheless each to his own and hope you have a safe and a Buen Camino. In Christ always, niel+
Why mention what you do and do not do, including what the Roman Catholic Church has embraced for more than 50 years, whe the OP said he would not discuss these issues?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

It's always nice to have priests along in any capacity.
We've had some wonderful experiences with pilgrim Priests. :)

Why mention what you do and do not do, including what the Roman Catholic Church has embraced for more than 50 years, whe the OP said he would not discuss these issues?
Why because it's my right and we are not in a state where we cannot make our comments. Yes 5o yrs and look at the state of the church barely any vocations empty convents and monastery...need I say more. I am proud of who and a what I believe...and I shall not be gagged into silence. You have a wonderful Camino keep safe. niel+

Why because it's my right and we are not in a to gwt imto where we cannot make our comments. Yes 5o yrs and look at the state of the church barely any vocations empty convents and monastery...need I say more. I am proud of who and a what I believe...and I shall not be gagged into silence. You have a wonderful Camino keep safe. niel+
Noone is ganging up onyou, but the OP did satpy he did not wish to gwt into this debate and you bring him into it. Or of you are not, please tell me how from reading your rsponse I have gone wrong.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Why because it's my right and we are not in a state where we cannot make our comments. Yes 5o yrs and look at the state of the church barely any vocations empty convents and monastery...need I say more. I am proud of who and a what I believe...and I shall not be gagged into silence. You have a wonderful Camino keep safe. niel+
Nathaniel, In the good old days, where I live, the Jesuits taught us Philosophy, and still do. I remember very well my lessons on sophisms, perhpas you you would like to revise yours, or is logic not part of your beleif system? And if I were to apply now of what I have learned in philosophy class, may I remind you of the horrors commited in the names of your fairh, WAY before novus ordo.

My last post on this very sad of turns in postings after such an open one.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seven Caminos, Fr. Nathaniel ?! I'm impressed. Please pray for me, a sinner.

Noone is ganging up onyou, but the OP did satpy he did not wish to gwt into this debate and you bring him into it. Or of you are not, please tell me how from reading your rsponse I have gone wrong.

Dear friends, it would pain me to think that my posting had given rise to any acrimony here. Surely we can agree that there is acrimony enough in the world, already?

For my sake, please, be gently with one another.

And if we meet along the way, we can all share some of that fine Don Simon vino tinto! My treat!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Dear friends, it would pain me to think that my posting had given rise to any acrimony here. Surely we can agree that there is acrimony enough in the world, already?

For my sake, please, be gently with one another.

And if we meet along the way, we can all share some of that fine Don Simon vino tinto! My treat!
You most certainly did not give rise to acrimony. I may not be of your faith, but respect what you would like to do on thos walk.

You most certainly did not give rise to acrimony. I may not be of your faith, but respect what you would like to do on thos walk.

Good, good. Not only will I treat you to a glass of Don Simon, I'll treat you to a good doner kabob, too!

Book of Common Prayer, p. 69: Hear what the Lord Jesus Christ saith. Thou shalt love the lord thy God with all thy heart..... That is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it; thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.

Everything else is dross.

(Which many of my fellow churchmen forget!)

What I did on my first Camino was try to live for a few days in the moment. That's actually very hard for a priest! And that's all I hope to do on my second Camino! Savor the smell of the coffee and the early morning sunlight... Rejoice in the rain, and give thanks for Brother Sore Foot.... Share the table peaceably with people who are not like me, people I will never meet again in this life.....

And remind myself that God will forgive me my sins, if I let just let Him!

Basta! Enough!

As the great Spanish man saint John of the cross said "At evening time we shall be examined on love"

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Nathaniel, In the good old days, where I live, the Jesuits taught us Philosophy, and still do. I remember very well my lessons on sophisms, perhpas you you would like to revise yours, or is logic not part of your beleif system? And if I were to apply now of what I have learned in philosophy class, may I remind you of the horrors commited in the names of your fairh, WAY before novus ordo.

My last post on this very sad of turns in postings after such an open one.
yes and look at the horrors of novus ordo empty churchs and faithless people

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back