A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

Traffic jam on the San Salvador

Camino(s) past & future
Santiago to Finisterre to Muxia 2013
Camino Frances May 2015
Camino Frances July 2017
That's crazy. While accidentally walking some of it last year (long story) the municipal albergue at Cabanillas wasn't even open and apparently no-one had come by in a few days.

Really want to do a Frances-San Salvador-Primitivo camino next year, so selfishly hope it doesn't get too popular.

Last edited:

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid
The lovely lady at Cabanillas came and opened up for us to use the toilet (she vehemently opposed our donativo but I was stronger!!!).
Ender popped in this evening and was so surprised at the numbers! There have been none to one the past few days/weeks!!! So good to have met him and talked about Laurie! @peregrina2000

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid
Room for 18 at the Albergue, no?
Yes! I was remembering what was here four years ago - it’s been done up - got rid of the old beds in tiny rooms and made one big dorm (though there’s still not a lot of hot water!!)
It’s great now! With a library and table soccer and food vending machines.

Camino(s) past & future
Norte, Primitivo, Plata, Salvador Torres
Cabanillas had only four beds two years ago and I was the only one. But I had the impression that it is too close to Leon for "normal" to stop there. Being and oldster I sent easy stages.
In La Robla we were five....

Magwood

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (15 April 2013)
Camino Portuguese (1 May 2014)
Camino Mozárabe from Málaga (8 April 2015)
Camino del Norte & Camino Ingles (April 2016)
18 beds! That’s a big change from spring 2017 when there were four pull down beds. We received a warm welcome here - a lovely relaxing space. I guess it’s still necessary to take food though as there are no shops or bars in the village (unless that has also changed).

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CABANILLAS is still only 4 - Poladura is 18. Although the lady in CABANILLAS did say if we wanted to stay (we were 5) we could pull the two wooden benches together to make another bed, or put our sleeping bags on the floor so they are not strict about numbers. There’s certainly room for more!

Camino(s) past & future
Francé 2005; 2016
Inglés June 2017
del Salvador Sep 2018
Primitivo Oct 2018
By only 3pm we were already 13 people at La Robla today! Methinks there will be a bed race tomorrow!
It was the same when I arrived at La Robla three week back - almost full, but it quickly thinned-out and I rarely saw other pilgrims en-route, and the albergues were not full either, sometimes even just two or three of us. There was never any 'racing' or overcrowding. Buen Camino!

grayland

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Yes
I was once on the VdlP in mid August. There were no other pilgrims between Sevillia and Salamanca because of the overwhelming heat. But....one night there were about 9 people in one albergue. I thought they were pilgrims at first but it became apparent that they were not. I had thought that I had caught up with a pilgrim bubble or something.... I never saw anyone again in any albergue or walking until Salamanca. I still have no idea who those folks were.

We've just been on the Primitivo and Borres was full last Tuesday with about 20 people at Campiello. Bodenaya was also full so we went to La Espina.

It seems a very popular time at the moment!

Pierre Julian

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Ingles, VdP, San Salvador, Aragonese, sections of Northern, Portuguese, Mozarabic.
Last year, the San Salvador in late August early September was very busy and in some places not enough beds, when I did it again in late October, there was no one else at all. I think people are finding out about it.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2002/3 and 2004/5)
Camino Ingles. (2008)
Camino Portuguese. (2009)
Camino del Norte (2008 and 2014)
Ruta de la Plata (2004)
Camino Primitivo. (2015)
Camino Mozarabe (2007)
"Tunnel" route (2016)
Camino del Salvador (projected: 2017)
Try March - snows melting, spring flowers emerging AND fewer pilgrims!

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 117 14.8%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.3%