• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traffic jam on the San Salvador

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
That depends on the distances you hope to cover. If it is Poladura de la Tercia, there are about 16 beds... Never mind the beds: isn't it lovely? whatever about difficult - that is up to each one, but the beauty is there for all to appreciate.

That's crazy. While accidentally walking some of it last year (long story) the municipal albergue at Cabanillas wasn't even open and apparently no-one had come by in a few days.

Really want to do a Frances-San Salvador-Primitivo camino next year, so selfishly hope it doesn't get too popular.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The lovely lady at Cabanillas came and opened up for us to use the toilet (she vehemently opposed our donativo but I was stronger!!!).
Ender popped in this evening and was so surprised at the numbers! There have been none to one the past few days/weeks!!! So good to have met him and talked about Laurie! @peregrina2000

Room for 18 at the Albergue, no?
Yes! I was remembering what was here four years ago - it’s been done up - got rid of the old beds in tiny rooms and made one big dorm (though there’s still not a lot of hot water!!)
It’s great now! With a library and table soccer and food vending machines.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Cabanillas had only four beds two years ago and I was the only one. But I had the impression that it is too close to Leon for "normal" to stop there. Being and oldster I sent easy stages.
In La Robla we were five....

18 beds! That’s a big change from spring 2017 when there were four pull down beds. We received a warm welcome here - a lovely relaxing space. I guess it’s still necessary to take food though as there are no shops or bars in the village (unless that has also changed).

CABANILLAS is still only 4 - Poladura is 18. Although the lady in CABANILLAS did say if we wanted to stay (we were 5) we could pull the two wooden benches together to make another bed, or put our sleeping bags on the floor so they are not strict about numbers. There’s certainly room for more!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
By only 3pm we were already 13 people at La Robla today! Methinks there will be a bed race tomorrow!
It was the same when I arrived at La Robla three week back - almost full, but it quickly thinned-out and I rarely saw other pilgrims en-route, and the albergues were not full either, sometimes even just two or three of us. There was never any 'racing' or overcrowding. Buen Camino!

I was once on the VdlP in mid August. There were no other pilgrims between Sevillia and Salamanca because of the overwhelming heat. But....one night there were about 9 people in one albergue. I thought they were pilgrims at first but it became apparent that they were not. I had thought that I had caught up with a pilgrim bubble or something.... I never saw anyone again in any albergue or walking until Salamanca. I still have no idea who those folks were.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We've just been on the Primitivo and Borres was full last Tuesday with about 20 people at Campiello. Bodenaya was also full so we went to La Espina.

It seems a very popular time at the moment!

Last year, the San Salvador in late August early September was very busy and in some places not enough beds, when I did it again in late October, there was no one else at all. I think people are finding out about it.

Try March - snows melting, spring flowers emerging AND fewer pilgrims!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It certainly sounds like the Salvador is becoming more popular. We plan to start out from Leon around July 4. Anyone have an idea of the pilgrim traffic we might see at that time?

Also, has anyone seen annual statistics for travel on the Salvador? I know the percentage of overall pilgrims is small, but I'd be interested to know. Thanks!

People do report full albergues in "high summer", but I think it is more in August and September than July. Lots of the towns have private pensiones and hotels, all are listed in Ender's guide, I think. But off the top of my head I remember pensiones and hotels in La Robla, Pola de Gordon, Poladura, Campomanes, Mieres, and probably more.

One way to make sure you don't have a problem in Poladura is to reserve a room in the adjacent Casa Rural, La Posada del Embrujo. Very comfortable, good dinner (and even if you stay in the albergue, you can reserve a meal there, since there are no shops, no nothing in Poladura).

Good question about numbers, I will have to ask Ender.

Thanks!

We have laid out an initial itinerary based on the assumption that the albergues we've chosen will have room. We have also planned to call ahead at Poladura and Parajes for dinner reservations and have been in contact with Sandra at Benduenos about the best time to call her on our way there.

At this point we will keep other accommodations in mind, but we also enjoy being open to the unexpected once we are on the trail.

Ender's guide and other notes/updates we've found on the forum and elsewhere have been incredibly helpful. We're so thankful for the work that these folk have done on behalf of other peregrinos!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks!

We have laid out an initial itinerary based on the assumption that the albergues we've chosen will have room. We have also planned to call ahead at Poladura and Parajes for dinner reservations and have been in contact with Sandra at Benduenos about the best time to call her on our way there.

At this point we will keep other accommodations in mind, but we also enjoy being open to the unexpected once we are on the trail.

Ender's guide and other notes/updates we've found on the forum and elsewhere have been incredibly helpful. We're so thankful for the work that these folk have done on behalf of other peregrinos!

You are in for a treat. Poladura to Pajares is a short distance, less than 15, and it is the most glorious part of the Salvador. Pajares to Bendueños is a short day too, also less than 15 km, and it is beautiful in a different way -- green tunnels, small hamlets, some great views over the green countryside. I have walked it that way and felt lucky to have the time. But anyway you walk it, whether the 4, 5, or 6 day version, it is fantastic!!!
Buen camino, Laurie

Can't wait! Your description just gave me goosebumps!

It certainly sounds like the Salvador is becoming more popular. We plan to start out from Leon around July 4. Anyone have an idea of the pilgrim traffic we might see at that time?

Also, has anyone seen annual statistics for travel on the Salvador? I know the percentage of overall pilgrims is small, but I'd be interested to know. Thanks!
Might see you on route!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, Ingrid,
Sounds like you are walking the Salvador this year. Lucky you, and July should be a great time to walk. I think you would really love Benduenos, what stages are you thinking about?
Have made no decision on that. Most likely the most days version. I will know more once I am in Spain post Ireland.

Have made no decision on that. Most likely the most days version. I will know more once I am in Spain post Ireland.
Don’t miss Sandra in Benduenos. Sorry can’t get the special ‘n’ on my keyboard right now.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back