• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traffic on the Camino

NHawes

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon to Sarria
I have 2 inquiries: In the advent of the "The Way" has it been found that the traffice on the French Way from Leon to Sarria has greatly increased? I have heard it has and will chose another route if need be but I am so looking forward to this route.
We may not be able to travel the entire section from Leon to Sarria so can others point out the more beautiful parts? We have about 8 days of walking and will look to walk around 12 - 14 miles a day. I understand I should take a cab several miles outside of Leon to start.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Leon to Sarria is not overcrowded. Instead of a taxi out of Leon, take the city bus to the airport and get off at the end of the line.

.......or as long as you are on the Camino...you could walk. 8)

I don't think there is any particular reason not to walk out of Leon.
Not sure why people give that advice. It may just mean that they did not enjoy it.
Since you have never done it before it will all be new and interesting. You will pass by a great Parador (San Marcos) that is worth a bit of a look.

Either way...Buen Camino

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Consider starting at Hospital de Orbigo ... from there it's about 17 kms to Astorga. You'll miss the industrial areas that fringe Leon and the ancient bridge there - the Puente de Orbigo - is one of the longest and best-preserved medieval bridges in Spain. The history of the bridge makes fascinating reading and there's quite a bit in the Brierley Guide about it. Our Camino group started there last year and we all felt it was a very appropriate place to start our Camino.
From Hospital de Orbigo you will walk through some beautiful countryside - you might also meet the famous David at his Cantina of the Gods. He's a really cool hippy kind of guy who lives on the Camino and has a refreshment stand with drinks, fruit and home-made biscuits.
It's an easy walk through to Astorga and a it's great way to start your Camino.
Best of luck with your decision - Jenny

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Walking out of Leon could not be easier, never saw any industrial area, alternative route, go to bus station on river, walk along river until the bridge, about 10 mns walk, a few steps up to bridge, turn left, you are on camino, about 30 mns walk to la virgin del camino,.

Thank you for you input - my first concern was the traffic on the Camino - I so loved my walk from Sarria to Santiago a few years ago but near the end it did get congested. Additionally we are mature women who have been training and did you find that section to be be hard at all as far as the hills? It seems such difficult decision. Out other choice was to walk the Porto Costal Way but I was afraid to miss a lot of this historical things and beautiful paths.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I did Leon to Santiago at the end of April, the big problem was the day at Sarria, as you suddenly had a ton of new pilgrims. But this could be tempered a little by trying to stop before Sarria and after it to avoid the worst of the crowds as there tends to get a bunching up of people. However, after that day things tended to spread out a bit more.
And I had no problem with the walk out of Leon, I actually kind of enjoyed that move out of the heaving city centre to the countryside.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back