• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Traffic surge on the Camino Baztan

peregrina2000

Staff member
It looks like all of the publicity is bringing lots of people to the Baztan. The Diario Vasco reports today that from January to August 2013, there were more pilgrims in the albergues than in all of 2012. They say there have been 1000 peregrinos, but I think it refers to the total number of pilgrims that have slept in the three albergues they mention (so in many cases one pilgrim gets counted three times). Here's the article if you read Spanish, and maybe falcon can work his google translate magic on it if he sees this post.

http://www.diariovasco.com/v/20130910/bidasoa/pernoctaciones-verano-camino-santiago-20130910.html

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Laurie,

Here is the Google translation.

"BAZTAN More than 1,000 overnight stays in summer on the road to Santiago In late August, there had been as many pilgrims throughout the year. Only hikers have been recorded that have spent the night in shelters in Urdazubi , Berroeta and The Camino de Santiago around the region has exceeded , by the end of August, 1,000 overnight stays in the three pilgrim hostels located in the towns of Urdazubi , Berroeta and Olague , and are managed by the Friends of the Camino de Santiado in Urdax - Baztan

. The association reported that " not accounted pilgrims who stay in different hotels, inns , guesthouses and sales in the towns through which the road ".In late August we had counted as many pilgrims throughout the year. " A note , with respect to previous years, there has been a large increase in domestic pilgrims (Catalonia , Valencia , the Basque Country, etc. . ) And also German .This increase has contributed greatly, various publications of the Way by Baztan in 2012 . As explained from the Association " on one side Baztanés was published in the directory path Eroski Consumer - Camino de Santiago , on the other , ' The practical guide to the Camino de Santiago : Camino Francés , Aragones and Baztanés ' by Carlos Mencos Arraiza and also came published in the German magazine Der Jakobusfreund ' by Catharina Bodenstein , along with the quality of their shelters . "Furthermore, the initiative to visit Jacobeos Monuments '37 2013 ' , sponsored by the Department of Culture, Tourism and Institutional Relations of the Government of Navarra has been "very well received in the area." This initiative is intended to facilitate the pilgrims and tourists who visit the Autonomous Region during the summer months and Navarre themselves know the monuments of the pilgrimage route. Free You can visit churches and artistic monuments located on the Camino de Santiago passes through Navarre .Monuments JacobeosIn Baztan route have been able to visit during the months of July and August (last year the program lasted three months) the monastery of San Salvador de Urdazubi / Urdax , Santiago de Elizondo church and parish of San Salvador de Irurita . In 2011 was included Urdazubi / Urdax , in 2012 and 2013 Irurita Elizondo . By 2014 it wishes to propose and include in the program a new monument Irurita artistic interest .Thanks to this program, the town of 12,700 visitors have passed Urdax approximately by Elizondo Irurita 3600 and in its first year under this program , 600."

Margaret Meredith

Thanks for that, it is busier than I thought.
I suppose their is so much traffic on the French route that in order to preserve some of the character of the Camino, and also for economic reasons, it is better to spread the load on accommodation and other resources. I have noticed a big change since I first walked the section Ponferrada to Santiago in 2002. Some of the route has moved and has been upgraded over the last decade. Not to mention new roads etc.. I am doing it in sections backwards and hope to do the Baztanes section on my bike next year to complete the route from the French border to Santiago. I walked Logrono to Burgos, and cycled Burgos to Ponferrada this year. having suffered a slipped disc I find it easier to cycle than walk these days as I don't have to carry a rucksack on my back. Although having seen the profile on the Erioskiconsumer.es/camino site, I expect to do quite a lot of walking on my way to Logrono.
For newcomers reading this. it is wise to be careful when estimating distances; especially in the mountains where floods etc., are common.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back