• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Trail foods snacks

Mar Oregon

Time of past OR future Camino
Hoping to walk in 2020
I am considering all the many foods I like to have on long hikes 🤔 🧀🥪🍊🍌🍪 and one favorite is hard boiled eggs. Can I find already boiled eggs in stores/cafes. along the Camino? I guess I can buy eggs and boil them myself. Anyone know if I could buy less than a dozen at a time, say maybe 4-6?
I’m hoping I can also find an American breakfast cereal called Mini- Wheats. Bite sized biscuits of shredded wheat with a light sugar glaze. I like these as a trail snack because they are fairly sturdy and travel well in a plastic bag in a pocket, and munching 2-3 of these gives you a sweet little break and they stoke your carb furnace as well. They can be a little dry but that will just remind you to drink more water right?
Do you have any quick and easy go-to snacks? All I can say is it’s a shame that lemon meringue pie does not fair well in a backpack.
Thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would say to not try to recreate food and snacks from home - part of the whole experience (for me at least) is discovering new foods and ways to eat on the Camino. I like to have a slice of tortilla de patatas and a glass of fresh squeezed orange juice while I'm on the Camino. You can buy packaged tortilla in the supermercados, and it makes a great food to carry with you. There are lots of cheeses, cured meats, nuts and dried fruits available on the way that make great snacks. I'm personally not a fan of hard boiled eggs, so I don't know how available they are on the Camino.
I generally don't snack much along the trail, I usually carry an "emergency" orange and chocolate bar, but mostly eat in the bars along the way.

Hard boiled eggs are readily available - we found them in small stores along the way.

For other snacks - I don't remember dried cereal, but we had a lot of nuts, dried fruits, cheese, various cured meats, bread, chocolate... lots of options for easy to carry snacks.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Just FYI, I’m totally open to trying new foods. I wouldn’t go anywhere new without checking out the local cuisine, (except for that sketchy food truck advertising day old sushi). I love tortillas, indeed breads of all kinds, pretty much any kind of cheese, nuts are a staple, as is dried fruit. And in my opinion fresh squeezed orange juice should be nominated for the absolute best beverage on earth, hands down. But I still like my mini wheats. I may not try the pigs ears though. Whatcha gonna do??

. I love tortillas, indeed breads of all kinds,
In Spain, tortilla isn't bread, it's an omelet. Tortilla de patatas is basically egg, potato and onion.

Screenshot_20191230-223828_Firefox.jpg

Our favorite trail snack is a bag of olives, with or without pits / stones. A small bag usually costs 0.8 euros. And of course bananas for potassium, cheese, chorizo sausage, avocado. My wife always brings a bag of M&Ms from home and rations these to herself over a few weeks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@Mar Oregon, although I love to take one or two hard boiled eggs with me if I can get it at my place of accommodation, I didn't pay attention to what's available in the shops along the caminos. If available, you may usually see 6 fresh eggs packed into one box.

An omnipresent sweet food that every bar along the Camino Frances seems to sell are madalenas (see below), individually packed in cellophane and no doubt "good to eat" for a century. I try to avoid them. Bars have sometimes a cake on offer and you can buy a slice "to go".

I usually bring 3 energy/protein bars with me as an emergency food which I never need and either eat up on the last day or bring back home with me. I buy nuts in a small shop or supermarket when I've run out of them. Other than that, I often have a banana with me, or lomo curado (often prepacked, LOVE it) or salchichón (often prepacked, LOVE it) and a piece of white bread (bocadillo), which, if you keep it in a zip locked small bag, becomes soft and squishy instead of hard as diamond ... but it's not to everyone's taste. 😇

Madalena.jpg

I usually eat a tortilla for breakfast and just eat whatever else presents itself along my walk.
As a backup. I always carry bread (less than 1 euro) and a some prepackaged lunch meat (ham/chicken, usually 1 euro). I will eat it as I walk to keep my energy up.

In Spain, tortilla isn't bread, it's an omelet. Tortilla de patatas is basically egg, potato and onion.

While it is true that in Spain a tortilla is generally an omelette and also generally includes potatoes (with just eggs it is considered a French tortilla - tortilla frances), the inclusion of onion is a matter of some dispute. Personally, I make my tortillas with some onion. But I know that there are purists out there for whom the presence of onion in a tortilla de patatas is anathema. I can't say that wars have been fought over whether or not to include onions, but sometimes it seems to come close.

Tortilla is also often available in a bocadillo (sandwich in a crusty loaf) if you don't want to sit down with a plate and knife and fork. It is also often eaten at room temperature and not just hot, the way we usually eat omelettes.

While it is true that in Spain a tortilla is generally an omelette and also generally includes potatoes (with just eggs it is considered a French tortilla - tortilla frances), the inclusion of onion is a matter of some dispute. Personally, I make my tortillas with some onion. But I know that there are purists out there for whom the presence of onion in a tortilla de patatas is anathema. I can't say that wars have been fought over whether or not to include onions, but sometimes it seems to come close.
I, myself, prefer a tortilla with onions. Seems harder to find than back in 2016, but I am always happy when I "happen" upon a bar that has one.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A tin of sardines in tomato (with a peel back lid ) - makes a good snack or emergency food and keep well. Just needs a bread roll which can be bought fresh daily and eaten for lunch or evening snack with cheese/cooked meat etc if not already used with the sardines. Used on several occasions when we could not find a suitable snack at 'bocadillo time'.
Salted almonds are good too and found in most supermarkets

I hesitated on mentioning the onion, but that's how I prefer my tortilla, so I included it. 😀

A few years ago I took a two week Spanish course in Barcelona and had a homestay. One evening my homestay "mom" told me that she was going to make tortilla for dinner. I was excited to see how she made it, as I had tried making it at home and had trouble with the flipping of the tortilla. I was very disappointed when she made a simple mushroom omelet. That's when I learned that tortilla means omelet in Spain. Fortunately, a few days later I had the chance to watch her make a tortilla de patatas.
I'm still not so good at doing the traditional flip, but now I have a set of these pans.
Screenshot_20191231-084019_Firefox.jpg

Tortilla is also often available in a bocadillo (sandwich in a crusty loaf) if you don't want to sit down with a plate and knife and fork. It is also often eaten at room temperature and not just hot, the way we usually eat omelettes.
If I ever find a tortilla with onions and peppers, Well I guess I found where I need to stop for a few days!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Arrrggh!!! I would love to try a tortilla de patatas but am seriously allergic to egg yolk. I can eat cake that has maybe a couple of eggs in it and bread but depending on the recipe I get very ill. Hopefully I can get one made without the egg yolk.

Arrrggh!!! I would love to try a tortilla de patatas but am seriously allergic to egg yolk. I can eat cake that has maybe a couple of eggs in it and bread but depending on the recipe I get very ill. Hopefully I can get one made without the egg yolk.
Highly doubtful that you will be able to find an egg white only tortilla in Spain. You could try making your own.

I make them all the time at home. You could do the same, but on the Camino it would be really tough as it seems to me that most are store bought (pre-made) and reheated. Some bars make them fresh, but few and far between.
The trick, if you make it at home is to have a REALLY hot skillet, and cook enough that you can flip it. Then put it in the oven on broil, just short of burning it. Takes a few tries to get it right, but once you do, it's just as good as a Spanish tortilla (minus the best part - Being on the Camino!!).
Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am considering all the many foods I like to have on long hikes 🤔 🧀🥪🍊🍌🍪 and one favorite is hard boiled eggs. Can I find already boiled eggs in stores/cafes. along the Camino? I guess I can buy eggs and boil them myself. Anyone know if I could buy less than a dozen at a time, say maybe 4-6?
I’m hoping I can also find an American breakfast cereal called Mini- Wheats. Bite sized biscuits of shredded wheat with a light sugar glaze. I like these as a trail snack because they are fairly sturdy and travel well in a plastic bag in a pocket, and munching 2-3 of these gives you a sweet little break and they stoke your carb furnace as well. They can be a little dry but that will just remind you to drink more water right?
Do you have any quick and easy go-to snacks? All I can say is it’s a shame that lemon meringue pie does not fair well in a backpack.
Thanks
Just for your information, eggs are generally sold by the half dozen in supermarkets in Spain. Unlike in the US and Canada, they are not kept in the refrigerated section of the supermarket but instead on shelves often near cheese and deli counters. My own preference for snacks along the way is to make a sort of trail mixture made with whatever kinds of dried fruit, nuts, seeds, etc. I can put together while shopping ahead of time. Preferably, this is done using the bulk bins which can be found in some larger supermarkets. Otherwise, I simply buy several small bags of individual nuts and fruits and combine them. I often have a bag of peanuts in the shell stowed away in my pack as emergency food. And, of course, the daily banana rations especially as I begin each day's walk!

I hesitated on mentioning the onion, but that's how I prefer my tortilla, so I included it. 😀

A few years ago I took a two week Spanish course in Barcelona and had a homestay. One evening my homestay "mom" told me that she was going to make tortilla for dinner. I was excited to see how she made it, as I had tried making it at home and had trouble with the flipping of the tortilla. I was very disappointed when she made a simple mushroom omelet. That's when I learned that tortilla means omelet in Spain. Fortunately, a few days later I had the chance to watch her make a tortilla de patatas.
I'm still not so good at doing the traditional flip, but now I have a set of these pans.
View attachment 68192

I have a similar set (different make) imported from Spain. I think I got them for Christmas 2018. They make it so much easier. Plus, the pans can be used individually and separately.

I learnt to like tostada con tomate for breakfast in Spain: toasted white bread with olive oil and grated tomatoes.
I have never thought to ask for that. Did you request it, or was it available as a "tapas". And once you had it, did most bars oblige to serve it?
Was like a Spanish Bruschetta?

I have never thought to ask for that. Did you request it, or was it available as a "tapas". And once you had it, did most bars oblige to serve it?
Was like a Spanish Bruschetta?
Yes, very much like a Spanish Bruschetta! Often a staple food found on most menus in bars and cafes.

Yes, very much like a Spanish Bruschetta! Often a staple food found on most menus in bars and cafes.
Is it normally available at Breakfast?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Not sure about that as I tend to do my own thing and pack food to be eaten along the way for breakfast. Sorry, maybe someone else can reply to that question.

I usually buy a mix of dried fruits, nuts and seeds in "dulcerías". ("Dulce" is "sweet" o "candy", so "dulcerias") They are energetic, tasty, compact and durable. These shop are usually near the neigborhood markets or bus stations.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Since we're on the topic of Spanish snacks and food, there is a wonderful website, called "Tienda.com" that sells a wonderful variety of Spanish food at reasonable prices. My frequent purchases include chorizo, cheese, olives and lots more.

I noticed it for the first time when it was offered at breakfast at our casa rural in Belorado. I got the impression that tostada con tomate was a pretty standard part of breakfast in Spain but I googled it a bit right now and this may be regional. It was offered in other places to us along the Camino Frances and I know that I occasionally asked for it at bars and I don't remember that they didn't have it but my recollection of all these breakfasts is quite hazy now.

It is probably pure imagination when I think that they didn't offer it spontaneously to foreigners and were pleased when I asked for it in my Spanish with my horrible foreign accent. :cool:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I noticed it for the first time when it was offered at breakfast at our casa rural in Belorado. I got the impression that tostada con tomate was a pretty standard part of breakfast in Spain but I googled it a bit right now and this may be regional. It was offered in other places to us along the Camino Frances and I know that I occasionally asked for it at bars and I don't remember that they didn't have it but my recollection of all these breakfasts is quite hazy now.

It is probably pure imagination when I think that they didn't offer it spontaneously to foreigners and were pleased when I asked for it in my Spanish with my horrible foreign accent. :cool:
HaHa
Thanks. I love Bruschetta, just didn't see it on multiple walks. Maybe I will ask on my next trip.
Al the best and Happy New Year!!

I find if you buy 6 or 12 eggs and boil them in the morning you can generally find people to give the extras to - and a nice warm egg in each pocket makes for pleasant hand warmers!

For breakfast I carried muesli made from oats and the aforementioned seed and nut snacks, the trick to getting some milk and something to put it in is to ask for Cola Cau which will get you a glass of hot milk and a sachet of hot chocolate on top. Ask for another glass and make up your muesli and milk in that, then ask for a top-up on the milk for the hot chocolate! One gets used to muesli with hot mik, it's just easier that way.

Happy new year!

The grated tomatoes in Belorado were freshly made from tomatoes from their garden, as they pointed out, and did not come in a plastic bag from a supermarket, Lidl or otherwise. 😇

The first time I realised how tasty a tortilla can be was when a Spanish guy who lives in Norway made it for us at a friend's home in Belgium 😊. I love the idea of potatoes and eggs but none of the ones I had along the CF was anything to write home about. Apparently, there is a bar or restaurant in the latter part of the CF where even the Spanish customers rave about their great tortillas on Tripadvisor but it was closed when we walked past. I don't recall the name nor the location.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Since we're on the topic of Spanish snacks and food, there is a wonderful website, called "Tienda.com" that sells a wonderful variety of Spanish food at reasonable prices. My frequent purchases include chorizo, cheese, olives and lots more.

I was just there, this past week! La Tienda is a nice upscale shop in Williamsburg VA, USA, on the old Jamestown Road. I've been a long-time satisfied customer, myself.... BUT-- the restaurant side of the business looks to be taking over! (Good tapas, btw!) It's brick-and-mortar retail store is a shell of what it once was....

La Tienda is shifting over to on-line sales in a big way. I commend it to all. It does offer some things you won't otherwise easily find in the States.

https://www.tienda.com/?gclid=Cj0KC...fIm2DcJlqlrv1h0ej5yVqU95Wu6_VfSgaAhMUEALw_wcB

Last edited:
I learnt to like tostada con tomate for breakfast in Spain: toasted white bread with olive oil and grated tomatoes.

My favourite breakfast in Spain! But I never know if I should put the olive oil on the toast first, or the tomato. Could somebody enlighten me?

The grated tomatoes in Belorado were freshly made from tomatoes from their garden, as they pointed out, and did not come in a plastic bag from a supermarket, Lidl or otherwise. 😇

The first time I realised how tasty a tortilla can be was when a Spanish guy who lives in Norway made it for us at a friend's home in Belgium 😊. I love the idea of potatoes and eggs but none of the ones I had along the CF was anything to write home about. Apparently, there is a bar or restaurant in the latter part of the CF where even the Spanish customers rave about their great tortillas on Tripadvisor but it was closed when we walked past. I don't recall the name nor the location.
More info/research. I would walk all of the way from SJPdP for a good Tortilla!!!
:)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Highly doubtful that you will be able to find an egg white only tortilla in Spain. You could try making your own.
I may definitely try that. So if anyone had a good recipe for a tortilla de patates...please share 😀

Dani

In the interests of setting a realistic expectation - that isn’t going to happen unless you do it yourself.

I am amazed at the array of fresh fruit and vegetables arrayed in markets throughout Spain, which seem almost entirely absent at any restaurant I’ve been to - and that’s a lot of restaurants.

Simply stating that you’re vegetarian (I’m not, but do often prefer veggie food) may still result in chicken or fish being offered.

It’s important to go with the flow. Setting alternate cultural expectations (I do realise that you have an egg yolk allergy which is clearly very different) will lead to disappointment on both sides of the order-pad.

You will be able to get many varieties of candy, cookies, biscuits, snack bars, cereals, nuts, chips, crisps etc from the markets and stores you encounter on the Camino. You will see. Just get and snack on what you want to, not what members of this forum think you should want to. ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
tostada con tomate
Yes, it is widely available. I recall being told that it was more common in certain areas than others. You may or may not see it promoted, but you can always ask for it and they will know what you are talking about. Many places will serve "tostadas con..." various choices, and you can just request it. The "tomate" may come in various forms ranging from freshly grated, to a ketchup-type product. You can also ask for tostadas con mermelada, con mantequilla, con paté, or simply "con aceite."

Thanks
Hi, boiled eggs, apples, oranges, tomatoes and bananas..for nearer the end of the stage. If, i was only considering energy, I'd munch on sweets all day. Your body needs replenishing by protein, vitamins and minerals. I then try to consume adequate carbs, early evening! eggs are readily available, lightweight and fairly robust, when boiled! They're a walkers super food. Everything is relevant, age, fitness levels, personal tastes and choices! Drinking in the heat, you'll already know, is essential! On my winter caminos, I religiously hydrated after a stage, even after a loo break, in the night, I guzzle more water. I'm off today from Caceres de Caceres. I'm hearing canevaral albergue is closed! so....it's 41k to grimaldo. I'd prefer 21k, but that's life! Incidentally, I've got 12 eggs at the top of my Bergen, not yet boiled! I also love lemon meringue pie. Enjoy your way. Happy new year. J

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Not ex Military are you? ;)
Haven't heard that terms in years...
Naw, I'm to pretty, to be ex anything 😂. it's a well coined phrase,though. If you google the origins of Bergen, rucksacks etc, it's fascinating! My granny passed away a couple of yrs ago at 96. I remember her description of her own pack, of which she used for hiking, cycling etc, as being..... her Bergen. For fellow pilgrims on the VDLP, the canevaral albergue is....indeed closed. The owner informed me, it's closed for at least a week. The hostal Malaga is open. €20. Amazing value! The old guy....who showed me in, must be about 80 and he's still grafting! A true gentleman, into to the bargain! The village bars, restaurants and shops reopen tomorrow, as per! The petrol station fulfilled my needs, with x3 litre bottles of beer, bread, tortilla and olives. It's not a bad existence,on Camino! The sun shone today and I didn't have to arrive in grimaldo,after dark! Tomorrow, is an easy 27k to galisteo and it's a breathtaking sight, as you round, a bend and it comes in to view. That view won't have changed in centuries! Stunning! I did break six of my dozen eggs. I'm taking the positive..... of having six left, for tomorrow's breakfast! Cheers. Wild. O aye, you'll love the VDLP.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

View attachment 68175
And everyone should know, as @David Tallan has pointed out, that there are VERY strongly held opinions in Spain about whether a tortilla española should have onions or not. National survey results indicate preference for the “with onion” option, but I know many who think that is heresy. I always think while walking — really, tortilla española again?! But a day or so after I am home, I am dreaming about walking into a bar and getting a slice of recently cooked tortilla with some crusty bread.

Yes, it is widely available. I recall being told that it was more common in certain areas than others. You may or may not see it promoted, but you can always ask for it and they will know what you are talking about. Many places will serve "tostadas con..." various choices, and you can just request it. The "tomate" may come in various forms ranging from freshly grated, to a ketchup-type product. You can also ask for tostadas con mermelada, con mantequilla, con paté, or simply "con aceite."

I think the spread of this breakfast option is fascinating. It is of catalán origen, and for years, you could only find it in Catalunya. Imagine my surprise one year when I landed in Madrid, asked for a tostada and instead of toast with jam and butter, I got toast with a little pot of crushed tomato and some olive oil. Now, it’s pretty much available everywhere.

One of my most delectable food memories was on the Camino Mozárabe, far from Catalunya, when we asked for tostada and got toast, tomato, oil and a strip of jamón serrano on top. That was absolute heaven, and I am not much of a meat eater!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Someone gave me this exotic item in Molinaseca back in 2015. Probably not available any more....

View attachment 68226
Here in Australia., Snickers They are available in almost every store that sells lollies/sweets (or candy to USA)
I thought they would be available anywhere. At least an equivalent. A chocolate bar with nuts and soft sticky stuff too. Easy to eat and carry.

Thanks
You sound like a blast....hahaha.....when are you going??

The most enjoyment of going on Camino is the food in cafes and bars. I eat whats local. if theres a bar its coffee and tortilla, or tosta mixta for snacks, and lunch menu de dia for lunch or dinner with vino, and what ever is available at night. Supermarkets are source of cheese and bread and wine or beer. Look for bakeries down some back street, or ask anyone with a loaf of bread coming the other way. No I definitely wont be looking for my usual breakfast oats and tuna sandwich, let alone pot noodles and walkers crisps. Its not like a through hike.

Just FYI, I’m totally open to trying new foods. I wouldn’t go anywhere new without checking out the local cuisine, (except for that sketchy food truck advertising day old sushi). I love tortillas, indeed breads of all kinds, pretty much any kind of cheese, nuts are a staple, as is dried fruit. And in my opinion fresh squeezed orange juice should be nominated for the absolute best beverage on earth, hands down. But I still like my mini wheats. I may not try the pigs ears though. Whatcha gonna do??
Just a reminder - the tortilla in Spain is more like a potato/egg quiche. It's not a bread :)

And a slice of jamón serrano on top! Breakfast of Peregrinos!

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back